•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Guest BrockSamson

Germnation problems

Guest BrockSamson

Alright cool, a lot of advice, and I'm going to try it all. A garbage bag goes over all of these to keep them in darkness (some say you need to germ in darkness others say it doesn't matter, I'm doing the garbage bag as a precaution).

Dish A- 5 X Blue Hammer F2 started soaking in H2O2 on 08/29 at 5:30 PM (these are going to soak overnight until I wake up at 6 AM 08/30)

-After these soak they are going into sponge pots under a humidity dome with the windows (to the humidity dome) open

Dish B- 5 X Blue Hammer F2 started soaking in H2O2 on 08/29 at 5:30 PM (these are going to soak overnight until I wake up at 6 AM 08/30)

-After these soak they are going straight into the soil, the same way Nil had his set up

Glass C- 5 X Hericules Fem starting soaking in H2O (water) on 8/29 at 5:30 P.M. (these are going to soak overnight until I wake up at 6 AM 08/30)

-After these soak they are going into a paper towel, then directly into the soil

CLAM DISH- 2 X Killing Fields Fem went straight into paper towel (08/28 at 6:00 P.M.) on top of seedling mat for heat (I found that the paper towel gets cold if I leave it in the room, even though the room is at 85 degrees Fahrenheit)

-The seeds have cracked open, still no taproot, I've got high hopes for these 2

gallery_8402_3997_1491294.jpggallery_8402_3997_2696994.jpggallery_8402_3997_2002347.jpggallery_8402_3997_972069.jpggallery_8402_3997_2360656.jpg

• Like 1

On the Dutch sister forum there is a rather elaborate topic on h2o2. Experimental comparisons, though not scientific in nature, seem to indicate h2o2 helps germination.

It might add oxygen for a tenth of a second until it bubbles off.

Not true. The reaction is rather slow, producing oxygen gradually. If it was as fast as you claim, it would be impossible to sell solutions in water, because all h2o2 would vanish in seconds. h2o2 actually is a good way to add oxygen to your (non-organic) medium.

storage of spongepots is an issue, if they dry out, they will never be the same. if they are fresh, they are fine. in regards to mold, I've seen it, been there done that, it's humidity and oversoaked seeds.

You can bring dried spongepots back by soaking them in hot water for about an hour. I just got 100% germination on ten seeds using dried out spongepots. For me, the only issue with spongepots has been the position of the seed in that small hole. If it's pointing upward, that root goes up, tries to curl back down and does not get back to the pot. This happened this time around with a Mad Scientist. I ended up slicing into the pot, repositioning the seed and putting it back in the plastic holder. If this happened with a newbie, they'd probably lose the seed.

You can bring dried spongepots back by soaking them in hot water for about an hour. I just got 100% germination on ten seeds using dried out spongepots. For me, the only issue with spongepots has been the position of the seed in that small hole. If it's pointing upward, that root goes up, tries to curl back down and does not get back to the pot. This happened this time around with a Mad Scientist. I ended up slicing into the pot, repositioning the seed and putting it back in the plastic holder. If this happened with a newbie, they'd probably lose the seed.

I tried soaking them, even overnight and they were just different. I will try the hot water next time, thanks for the tip.

I've had that same thing happen to me, I did kill a couple seeds like that, until I caught on and opened spongepots in half to position the seed and taproot correctly when I saw it.

Not true. The reaction is rather slow, producing oxygen gradually. If it was as fast as you claim, it would be impossible to sell solutions in water, because all h2o2 would vanish in seconds. h2o2 actually is a good way to add oxygen to your (non-organic) medium.

In a slightly self-pressurized, blacked out bottle like they sell it in that makes it last longer. When H202 contacts anything with a metal in it (like iron in water) it's decomposition is accelerated. Now add in nutrients that are full of metals....Add light for even a short period of time, same thing. Not a claim, that's facts :) It's doesn't produce oxygen, it's already there.

Using it to add oxygen is a waste of time, in my opinion if you want to add oxygen add circulation.

Bit off topic, sorry mates.

Cheers,

RM

At low concentration, the H2O2 reacts more slowly. Generally, a 1% solution will take several days to completely break down if you are not using bacteria and mycos. If you do not believe me, drop a small piece of raw beef into a clear pint glass of 3% H2O2. It will be bubbling for much longer than 10 seconds.

Guest BrockSamson

Alright now its just the waiting game to see which method works out the best.

1 of the 2 killingfields seeds has started sprouting a taproot, barely visible, but it's there. I'll give another day and plant it into a pot with soil.

gallery_8402_3997_1441675.jpggallery_8402_3997_2938920.jpggallery_8402_3997_2673693.jpg

I was also hoping some somebody can tell me what's going on with these 2. These are the Jackberry X Madscientist freebees in which the root grew in the opposite direction of the smart pot, I opened up the smart pot and planted the taproot into soil. However it's been a few days now and the leaves haven't even started opening up yet, are they just dead or do they just need more time?

gallery_8402_3997_485103.jpggallery_8402_3997_2886820.jpg

• Like 1

Give it some time. If the taproot was accidently air-trimmed, it has a similar effect to topping. The seedling may sit there idle for several days before it starts to thrive. Just keep it humid, do not over or under water, and it will recover if the damage was not serious.

In a slightly self-pressurized, blacked out bottle like they sell it in that makes it last longer. When H202 contacts anything with a metal in it (like iron in water) it's decomposition is accelerated. Now add in nutrients that are full of metals....Add light for even a short period of time, same thing. Not a claim, that's facts :) It's doesn't produce oxygen, it's already there.

Using it to add oxygen is a waste of time, in my opinion if you want to add oxygen add circulation.

Bit off topic, sorry mates.

Cheers,

RM

You are correct that all sorts of metals (or more precisely: metallic ions) catalyze decomposition, but you are exaggerating the effect. I added a drop of fertilizer to some 3 % peroxide, and I did not observe a vigorous production of gas. Nil's observation also supports a rather slow decomposition process. Also see this link: http://www.quickgrow.com/gardening_articles/hydrogen_peroxide_horticulture.html

Guest BrockSamson

Group A- 4/5 germinated

Group B- 5/5 germinated

Group C- 4/5 germinated

(They All germinated just the 2 that didn't got sick thereafter and died)

So then now I can set up a pretty good hypothesis. If I'm going to use the sponge pots then an overnight H2O2 soak will be necessary (also there needs to be air exchange within the humidity dome). An overnight soak seems to speed the germination process up overall.

I'm going to do this again when I germ my main crop to see if I can duplicate results. More than likely past germination failures were due to an excess amount of moisture in the humidity dome causing mold and disease.

1 of the jack berries survived and sprouted its second set of leaves.

• Like 1

step 1. soak 24-48 hours in spring water ( nestle's will do cheaper then deer park )/ paper towels water then proceed to step 2. or until the seed tap root pops out . (don't touch the tap root; use tweezers to place seed)

step 2. transfer to medium/starter holders like sponge pots/jiffy's (ewl), cups or small pots.

peroxide was used only to kill anything unseen left on the seed, in most cases not needed at all. i have always had damn good ger rates and only used peroxide years ago. when i stopped my germ rates didn't decline at all. nuff said.

gald your beans are doing well, have fun . and above all . K.I.S.S. :wave: WELCOME TO the new OG

I know I'm coming in late, but I'll throw it out there and say I think your problem may have been with the perlite. I've had problems using perlite b/c it's sometimes hard to tell how much water to add. If you add too much water to the perlite the spongepots get too wet. Once I got a new humidity dome that has a tray with grooves I haven't had any problems. You put water in the grooves and the spongepots or starter cubes sit on the raised surface above the water. The water doesn't come into contact with the spongpot/starter cube but keeps the humidity level perfect in the dome. Since you soak the spongepot or cube first and then add it to the dome it stays moist and won't dry up but doesn't get too moist where you could have problems.

I also hang a big cfl above the dome so the sprouts can reach for the light. That seems to help avoid seeds sprouting upside down.

temperature - 80 F

moisture control......

no handling, and you get the satisfaction of seeing them push out of the ground. :)

gallery_6332_3200_14977.jpg

Jiffy sevens, yes ;)

Guest BrockSamson

hey thanks plant warrior, the overnight soak is definitely key (I'll be doing it every time from now on) I'm in paranoia land :blink: (Germs? GERMS!!! NOO!!! :kill: ) at the moment, I'm going to continue with the H2O2 soak until one day I realize I over reacted.

See I added 1 liter of bacto into the humidity dome as recommended (I checked every part of the procedure from the depth of the seed to the temperature of the bacto water), however I don't think it's the perlite that's the problem, all in all I think it's the humidity levels (with the heating mat and a completely closed humidity dome humidity and temperature levels can get up to the 90's, which is no good and kills the seed , I think lol).

After I did a pre-soak in the h2O2 (could've been water I'm sure but :blink: ) and then placed the seeds in the sponge pots they germinated a fuck-ton (more than a shitload) faster, and without dieing. I'm not giving up on the sponge pots, I fucking love the sponge pots, for my first grow I got 100% germination both (total of 3 times) times within 24 hours all of them were sprung and ready to go damn it (except for the first time were all 14 seeds died and that will be the last time I mention that). One of the main reasons I'm still sticking with the sponge pots is not only the speed but the high success rates when it does work. However, for them to work you have to have all variables down to the T I think, I.E. the humidity level can't get too high (keeping the windows open), the water temperature level has to be at 75 degree Fahrenheit, the heating mat has to be on for 15 then off for 15 minutes so it doesn't get too hot in the humidity dome.

damn shame vettez....usually in those situations I think about how much sperm (it is technically a seed right?) I've wasted in my lifetime and realize its not a big deal...... you know? (not trying to get weird about it just stating the facts)

very nice..... very nice, those are jiffy pellets correct?

I just toss the beans in a cup with a little cooler than luke warm water, add in a couple ml of hydrogen peroxide, and set n forget for 24hrs. Next day I put them in their medium of choice and that's that, not 100% germ rate but probably not less than 90% either.

If you like sponges, you may find larger ones easy to work with. I have found that hydroton transfers the perfect level of moisture to sponges, unlike perlite, which tends to make them soggy. I made a simple set-up with a standard tray/dome, a capillary mat, and some hydroton. The hydroton under the mat is just for support. This method will also work well on seeds.

These clones rooted in 10 days by a window.

gallery_7190_3836_1217969.jpg

The cap mat draws water from the hydroton reservoir, both feeding the sponges with a perfect amount of water, and keeping humidity up.

gallery_7190_3836_315275.jpg

• Like 1

Never too high!

Use the paper towel method, toss the sponge pots.

Small tupperware container, 1 folded piece of paper towel to make 4 layers goes in the bottom.

Enough bottle drinking water to just soak the p/t, pour off any excess.

place seeds on p/t 1" a part

Cover with another folded piece of p/t, wet and pour off excess.

Put a cover on it, place in a box on the refrigerator or in the cupboard above it.

People who use this method with never post about germ problems again :)

RM

Can I get an Amen, brother Rev? Every time I tried anything other than paper towels(read complicated), it doesn't add anything to my growing except frustration and questions why the "perfect" new method didn't work as well. Tap water has chlorine to keep you healthy, does the same thing for seeds, but I use spring water if I have it around. Wonder how Sprite would work? Or Jolt?

Moisture and warmth is all they need. They don't have rock wool, sponges, Peroxide, or bottled water in the jungle, but lots of paper towels, I'm sure.

As a disclaimer, I've been a paper towel distributor for 40 years. This is not a compensated endorsement.

• Like 1