•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

AnonyMoose

No dome coco clone?!?

So I've seen here that a few of you coco growers don't use domes, and just go straight to coco in party cups. As I'm growing in straight coco for the first time with my indoor set up, I think I'm going to I've it a shot but I was wondering about drainage- do you poke holes in the bottoms of the cups or no? That's my biggest question.

When I grew in soil and used a dome I was getting 100% clones rooting and I'm not expecting that again (though it would of course be nice!) but I want to keep going with straight coco for now

Howdy Anonymoose,

I clone in coco under a desk lamp + heat pad, no humidity dome. Be sure the coco is fresh. I like to add biobizz biogrow to fortify the coco with nutes, otherwise I experience cal/mag deficiency with clones. Always great success with coco and cloning! Will be back with pics soon

Anonymoose, I clone in coco with no dome ,I just dip in my cloning powder and put them in the coco.I put lot's of hole's in the bottom of the cup's.I usually have root's in about a week or so judging by the yellowing leave's which tell's me they are hungry and like swazigh said I also charge my coco with calmag and very a light nutrient solution.

Here are some pictures,

IMG_0742_zps2d49287b.jpg

Mad Kush clones, healthy and ready to go

IMG_0738_zpsbdc57f31.jpg

Exodus Cheese

IMG_0737_zps6cbd5883.jpg

The Roots....

IMG_0734_zps3a26321a.jpg

IMG_0739_zps430af696.jpg

• Like 1

Dont know if this has been answered but id always recommend drainage holes on everythin..canna is my fav nutes to use. I just ordered some cuz the grow shops here dont carry it. Nothing Ive tried, which is alnost all, works near as well. Peace bruh...

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Indican- canna is not sold anywhere near me either, I'm currently using "Neptunes harvest" hydrolyzed fish fertilizer and adding calmag. When it's time to bloom I'm going to use floranova's bloom bc I've had good results in the past, and I have a bottle already haha.

Swazigh- you just put coco in Tupperware and throw clones in it? Mind = blown. How do you transplant? I'm just going to go with party cups with holes in em for individual clones, since I'm goin to transplant them outdoors after they root and veg shortly.

I do not clone straight in coco, I have a clone machine, once the clone has roots, it move to the plastic solo cups.

No humidity dome at any point.

my solo cups do have holes, I've found that with coco, better drainage is better ;)

use a knife to poke some holes in the bottom, if you have the plastic cups that crack easily, get a metal poker and a lighter or a cigarette and use that to burn holes in the cups, works great.

Think of the range of water a medium holds, from soaked to bone dry, think of exactly the middle of the range... I've found that roots in coco like the medium to be from middle to dry. So when you start, it's better to have great drainage and water a little less, more often and have the roots seek out the water. After a week or two after transplant, I'll actually water with runoff, you want to do that every so often because salts will built up in coco very easily, a little runoff every so often takes care of it.

Let us know how you get on!

• Like 1

Ok, in a few days or so I'll start my first grow journal and post link here. I just have to read how to post pictures, and hope I can do so from my phone. Otherwise.... It would probably be pretty boring. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again dudes. Super helpful and awesome.

If you notice with the smartpots I use with coco, I have to water them almost daily. So in the kiddie pools i use, i put about a 6" layer of coco/soil in the pool and the smart pots on that. The roots do what TSB said, they seek out the moisture. But as i rotate the plants daily, the roots that grow through the pots basically get pruned with each turn. Thats what the smart pots are supposed to do by themselves but im just giving the roots more assistance. Thats just for future if u plan on growing all the way with coco...And under HIDs the coco can dry quickly so use TSBs tips of the wet to dry. Coco is kinda a middle of the road medium, acting alot like rockwool but better, and alot like soil but better. Good luck!

Oh and an important way to keep clones alive is spray or mist them a few times per day. Theyll absorb the moisture thru the leaves n stens until they establish roots...

One more thing- I'm vegging my seedlings in 1 gallon smart pots. I just planted the seeds straight into them.

The bottoms just seem to stay wet though, so I let em go until the top coco is dry. Even then the bottoms feel kinda soaked. I can see roots poking through the bottom though, so is it really an issue?

And Indican- your use of kiddie pools is nothing less than genius. I'm probably moving the beginning of next year (maybe sooner) and was up all night last night thinking of ways to cope if my next abode had carpets.

your pot is dry at the top but wet at the bottom because the seedling is way too small to drink all that, so the coco sits and kinda compresses and takes even longer to dry out.

idealy you want it the pot to be light when you pick it up. and then only water enough for it to drink today, and go dry again, roots will grow much faster. if you do a full soak each time, you are overwatering because the coco compresses, the water doesnt go anywhere and then there is no air in your medium.

a solo cup allows you to regulate the wet - dry cycle much easier than a big pot, IMO. keep asking away, you've got good questions ;)

So, in an attempt to get my bottoms less wet, I kind of picked up the smart pots, angled them to one side and squeezed gently along the outer seams and got a lot of excess water out that way. I then kind of squeezed the smart pots and re-fluffed the coco as gently as I could and got a lot of bounce back to the substrate. However the bottom of the pots was still obviously way to soaked so I put towels under all of them to absorb more water gently and it's seeming to help a bunch. I also increased their day time to 20 hours from 18, maybe that will help them drink more.

I also took in a SEVERELY neglected purple paro valley that is scraggly, and attempting to bloom but it hasn't had any attention from her current owner in at least a month. I transplanted her into a 50/50 mix of coco and fox farm ocean forest and she is in the room now as well, hoping to talk her into revegging so I can take some clones and do her right!

And TSB- thanks for the great explanation, now I know next time I'll start off in solo cups instead of being too lazy to get them from the kitchen just bc the gallon smarties are right in front of me haha