•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

randude

stoned ramblings, say or post anything you want.

On 8/16/2020 at 8:45 PM, gardenartus said:

Very slow-growing, some really like extra nutes as well.

...was familiar with its slow growth...

Grafting it or inarching an extra rootstock could be a solution to that. It does not seem to matter if the rootstock is female, male or even hermaphrodite. I would (and might) try a land race seedling with a nice tap root.

22 hours ago, Halforc said:

Man that vodka looks deadly FOTH! Awesome stuff.

Putting stems and leaf trim of weed into a bottle of vodka is popular in Finland. They call it "Green Dragon". Hot Pepper vodka can be called "Red Dragon".

Here's an update on two the latest inarched plants.

large.DSC_4420.JPG.ec1dc3e667b685ccb2062

The capsicum Annuum and it's extra Purple rootstock seem to be joined.

There's a some lumpy stuff growing on the other side.

https://www.wietforum.nl/uploads/monthly_2020_08/large.DSC_4418.JPG.053cf4cc0fd5a160e620ab980018388c.JPG

I used a side branch of a Bell to better match the size of the stem of the purple host plant (below).

https://www.wietforum.nl/uploads/monthly_2020_08/large.DSC_4413.JPG.c659e6b7b35e88a701394d00cd7f4162.JPG

That also seems to be joined.

I sealed the wounds with some graft sealant and wrapped a little piece of masking tape around it. That allowed me to squeeze the sealant further into the seams without getting sticky fingers.

https://www.wietforum.nl/uploads/monthly_2020_08/large.DSC_4417.JPG.9f167c8e8dd768fea31083c9c24ed6db.JPG

Harvest time of the first nine hot peppers.

large.DSC_4434.JPG.695303c3b966b540abb97

I removed the seeds from one of them, then crushed it with sea salt.

I tasted a pinch of the salt and it's hot!

• Like 4

On 8/16/2020 at 9:02 PM, Halforc said:

In your experience, Do you think they ultimately make a big difference to your plants gardenartus? I've basically had gnats since day 1 and can't get rid of them but the plants still look healthy. I'm guessing I'm keeping them under control though with regular watering with "GNATSMACK".The girls grew pretty slow though that isn't unusual at my place either haha. 

While not Gardenartus, I can't say I've seen any plant damage from fungus gnats. I just don't like them. They get all over the house.

Predatory nematodes work wonders at reducing the population, but they never completely eliminate them. I guess it's a poor predator that wipes out its prey.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, gardenartus said:

I need to do that with some infused salt. :) TY FOTH

Tonight out came the woodchuck and a bunny

woodchuck and bunny.jpg

When I first started growing (mid-70s), cottontails were my nemesis. In a forest full of vegetation, they would go to great lengths to get under my fence and eat my plants.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Misterdirt said:

When I first started growing (mid-70s), cottontails were my nemesis. In a forest full of vegetation, they would go to great lengths to get under my fence and eat my plants.

I am hoping to grow outdoors next year, we also get deer here, I am playing it safe, doing it on my deck. :) I will be able to walk out from my family room, to tend the plants, and no animals, including the human kind, will be able to get to them ha!

• Like 1

I think I would devise some kind of tent to cover outdoor plants when you wanted to flower them, up in these latitudes. Where I live, plants would just be starting to flower if I had them outside.

I can't say about here, but outdoor weed in North Carolina tended to be better than indoor, assuming the pests left any for you. There seemed to be a ridiculous variety of creepy-crawlies that might invade your crop. My most hated was a caterpillar that would eat buds. It would bore a hole and worm around in there. All the weed adjacent to the hole would die and the bud was worthless. It looked kind of like bud rot. In fact, when I posted pics here, people were swearing it was bud rot. But the rot didn't start in the middle of the cola, and it always had a hole in the middle of the rotten area.

I got stoned and hung out with these guys for a few hours.

They drink a feeder a day but i love them

And i make my own nectar

I have counted 10 at the feeder and many more buzzing around but its hard to get an exact count.

Most excellent buzz material lol

Thomas is almost big enough to go out

27 new chicks at 11 days from hatch

French Copper Marans

Cream legbars

And 5 lavender opingtons for the old lady

I have my flock arraigned so that it matters not if they interbreed

All the babies will be blue or green egg layers

By doing this i saved myself ton of work

And assured a colorful egg haul

Quail almost half grown

Quail calls inside lolol

20200819_075304.jpg

20200819_075211.jpg

20200819_075221.jpg

• Like 1

New Research Suggests Terpenes And CBD Work 2X’s Better For Covid-19 Inflammation Than Corticosteroid... 

Aaaand....  

A 20-year study investigated the links between tobacco, cannabis, and lung function.

Concluding: ‘very heavy marijuana use’ was associated with a lifetime FEV1 ‘not significantly different from baseline’, and FVC ‘remained significantly greater than baseline’.  

i.e. Lung function stays the same or improves if you smoke Joints instead of Spliffs..

peAce

Hey now Toker. I have the same feeder and same hummingbird species, though I only have 2 birds coming around that I am aware of.  Yesterday I walked towards the feeder and I was immediately investigated. Bird came towards me, hovered, came within 4 feet, hovered, went back to feeder.  My favorite birds, by far.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ZenShade said:

New Research Suggests Terpenes And CBD Work 2X’s Better For Covid-19 Inflammation Than Corticosteroid... 

Aaaand....  

A 20-year study investigated the links between tobacco, cannabis, and lung function.

Concluding: ‘very heavy marijuana use’ was associated with a lifetime FEV1 ‘not significantly different from baseline’, and FVC ‘remained significantly greater than baseline’.  

i.e. Lung function stays the same or improves if you smoke Joints instead of Spliffs..

peAce

But not a good time to quit smoking, they don't die from Covid lol how odd is that. :)

I lost the video, but my daughter stood in front of a hummingbird feeder for at least 30 minutes, and they fleet around her face, she stood still as could be. Was pretty cool. They are very territorial and will fight over those feeders! Love hummingbirds.

165916_3825578473640_2027928471_n.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Shoeless said:

Hey now Toker. I have the same feeder and same hummingbird species, though I only have 2 birds coming around that I am aware of.  Yesterday I walked towards the feeder and I was immediately investigated. Bird came towards me, hovered, came within 4 feet, hovered, went back to feeder.  My favorite birds, by far.

There is usually a male who decides he "owns" the feeder, and he'll often just perch nearby when he's not drinking from it, so he can confront any intruder hummingbirds. Then there are other birds that grab the opportunity when it arises.

Now, most of the males have started migrating, and a female owns my feeders. A male did show up today, and guarded one of them, but it's the first male I've seen in a week.

Yes, with Covid 19, I'm now on a first name basis with the neighborhood feeder birds, and a few of the local woodpeckers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

More observations of some the composite Capsicum plants.

large.925264518_DSC_44403.JPG.aa3698b64d

Plant #3 (above) is a Purple scion  on a Bell rootstock. The scion is on the left side of the plant, grafted on a side branch of the host plant.

It has a small green Bell fruit and a yellow "Purple" fruit directly above it. And you can see another small yellow fruit, just above the graft spot.

I thought that plant #4 (below) was a Jalapeno when I grafted a Purple scion on it.

large.862716607_DSC_44374.JPG.13482d3022

But it turns out it's another type of Capsicum Annuum, you can see it's yellowish fruit pointing upwards.

The scion has twenty small leafs, but no flowers or fruits. The base plant made many shoots, flowers and a few fruits, so far.

Composite plant #5 (below) is a Jalapeno Scion on a Bell Pepper base.

large.1752812165_DSC_44425.JPG.c5f22f04a

Two small Bell fruits start to develop, and the scion makes flowers.

More later...

• Like 2

On 8/19/2020 at 9:59 AM, Shoeless said:

Had i know so many would show up 

I would have got several feeders

But Lord willing next year they will be even 

More in numbers and i will have more feeders.

Ya i sit there and they inspect me

Just hover a foot in front of my face

I talk to mine to

Really all critters

Im convinced they understand

Perhaps not the words but the intent

Hummingbirds are a great joy i agree

Truly spectacular birds

• Like 2

Damn damn damn

So damn close

I knew it would fade but my ass never been in a rainbow and well coulda been a pot of gold

All the way across that field lol

I got in it but the money shot faded

So this is the best views

You can clearly see the end infront of the trees

My orange tree is thick with fruits

20200820_190257.jpg

20200820_190813.jpg

20200820_190312.jpg

20200820_190305.jpg

20200820_190821.jpg

20200820_190903.jpg

20200820_192150.jpg

20200820_192155.jpg

• Like 4

Pandemic

Plandemic

I despise this shit

Its political beyond measure

Its so fucking stupid it divides everywhere you look

Im.on record as saying its as spreadable as the flu or a tad more

But fuck all that

I sure hope in your neck of the woods the weathers been fine

Cause if one looks at last year's world wide crop production

And see wtf is going on now

We are fucked

Here more rains just as i feared

The crops look about 40 percent of what they have been in the past

Its bad

More rains now is bad

Iowa

Ohio

China

Floods 

The solar min was evident

Nothing grew as it should even in well drained soil

North Korea is turning pets into dinner

Do some sneaky searches

Cause google manipulates shit

See if everything's hunky dory in your state or country

Its fucking pouring

The beans the farmer planted that drowned

And then were re planted have

Drowned

I hope its better everywhere else

Cause were fucked

On 8/17/2020 at 8:16 PM, gardenartus said:

I need to do that with some infused salt. :) TY FOTH

Tonight out came the woodchuck and a bunny

woodchuck and bunny.jpg

well my woodchuck seems to be still alive but haven't seen it in a couple weeks. i think it's cool as fuck. it lives in the ground of a tree stump that's not going to be removed thankfully.  got to be lonely though. ijs 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sacred Plant Warrior said:

well my woodchuck seems to be still alive but haven't seen it in a couple weeks. i think it's cool as fuck. it lives in the ground of a tree stump that's not going to be removed thankfully.  got to be lonely though. ijs 

We have an easement, a lot of old trees, there has been a family of them for 30 years or more. Sometimes in the spring, we see the babies, this year no babies :( Not sure if when they cleared out some of the trees, they did not do something to them. They have not cleaned out in 20 years, they did last year.

On 18 August 2020 at 10:38 PM, Misterdirt said:

While not Gardenartus, I can't say I've seen any plant damage from fungus gnats. I just don't like them. They get all over the house.

Predatory nematodes work wonders at reducing the population, but they never completely eliminate them. I guess it's a poor predator that wipes out its prey.

Cheers man, that's actually a huge relief for me. 

Your last line is great btw!

• Like 1

On 19 August 2020 at 4:57 AM, Misterdirt said:

I think I would devise some kind of tent to cover outdoor plants when you wanted to flower them, up in these latitudes. Where I live, plants would just be starting to flower if I had them outside.

I can't say about here, but outdoor weed in North Carolina tended to be better than indoor, assuming the pests left any for you. There seemed to be a ridiculous variety of creepy-crawlies that might invade your crop. My most hated was a caterpillar that would eat buds. It would bore a hole and worm around in there. All the weed adjacent to the hole would die and the bud was worthless. It looked kind of like bud rot. In fact, when I posted pics here, people were swearing it was bud rot. But the rot didn't start in the middle of the cola, and it always had a hole in the middle of the rotten area.

Yeah I've had those types of caterpillars down here too, little buggers. I thought it was bud rot too until i started spotting the holes,opened it up and saw them munching away, high as hell no doubt. That caterpillar killing bacteria always worked temporarily at least for me and just picking them off by hand.

• Like 1

I haven't been this depressed since my sophomore slump in college 15 years ago. I got laid off mid-May from my oilfield job, and was ecstatic - finally a chance to do something I love. The reality soon set in that I should probably get another oilfield job, although use the motivation from being laid off to really pursue something else. An opportunity came up for a small manufacturing company close by (for oilfield pumps), and I was a perfect fit. The recruiter found me. Completed 2 interviews, was all set, and then... silence. The market conditions kept stalling, and then got worse (here in PA/OH/WV area). Supposedly that job is still on-hold, and I've got a chance to have it, but it's been almost 3 months and it just feels like it'll never come.

Hoping for that job took the wind out of my job-search sails. I wanted to give my wife a break and took the two boys (now 4 and nearly 2) to my parents for 10 days. The last day I was chasing my older one around the house in socks and slippers - "faster dad, faster!" I complied, only to lose my slipper on a turn right before planting my foot, and slipping and slamming into the corner of a wall. Of course I hadn't gotten my COBRA health insurance, because that job was right around the corner! 8 weeks later, and it still hurts, though not as bad. My self-diagnosis was a partial tear of one of the ligaments on the first metatarsal joint (the outside of my right foot big toe's main joint). Didn't help that 2 days ago the neighbors kid and I both weren't looking when we were outside playing with the kids, and he ran that foot over with the new powerwheels we got the boys.

I miss you guys, I miss the days in the oilfield where I was making money but could sit and read everyone's posts. I feel paralyzed by the kids - feeling guilty for not helping take care of them enough because I need to look for a job, but then being unproductive in my job search.

And I started playing the stock market, with options. I had been foolin' around for a few years, making a bit, losing a bit. Things were going swimmingly a few weeks ago, I was up 8 grand. And then I decided to short tesla, although I'd sworn never to mess with that irrational stock. I cashed everything out yesterday, down 22 thousand - options don't give you the opportunity to sit around and wait for things to come back your way, the leveraged  returns come with the risk of expiration dates. That's most of my savings, although I've got a healthy 100k in my 401k in the worst case scenario. Obviously I've got friends and family to help if I needed it before I even dipped into that, but no one knows of this disastrous financial loss except one friend. I've learned my lesson, but boy is it painful, and so embarrassing. I feel like a fool.

Worst of all, I just don't know what to do. I have SO many skills. I'm good at math, science, inter-personal skills, the last few years I learned some sales. I'm an excel pro. Obviously you know I love gardening, and my veggies this year were tremendous. I made 23 jars of salsa, and I've got about 10 x 20lb candy roaster squashes (finally grew those babies after 3 years in the fridge). Each one can make about 4 pumpkin-esque pies. We can't eat all the cherry tomatoes anymore, they're coming too fast. 11 jars of dill pickles. The peppers aren't doing as well this year, except maybe the serrano tampiqueno's, that's gonna be a bumper crop.

I keep cycling between ideas of what to pursue in life. Another oilfield job -> start a pierogi business -> find a shitty job in the cannabis industry just to break in and work my way up -> start an upscale/wooden grow-closet selling business -> go back to school for something/anything -> keep pursuing my knowledge of the markets/economics -> get an oilfield job, thats where I've got 8 years of experience! And so on.

I want to do something that creates value. I have a new friend who is also relatively new to the area we are in SW PA, and he's got a lot of tools to help me build another grow closet, new and improved version 2.0! We should be getting started on that soon. Can you guys believe I just smoked the last of the kief of the last of my grows from a couple years ago. I'm happy it lasted that long, and that was only the 10%-ish that I kept. At the end here, I was even smoking the trim.

Can you guys help? I find myself crying from time to time when I'm alone, and it just makes me feel even worse, like I'm pathetic. How do I know what to choose, to dive into, and put my efforts behind?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Damar said:

I haven't been this depressed since my sophomore slump in college 15 years ago. I got laid off mid-May from my oilfield job, and was ecstatic - finally a chance to do something I love. The reality soon set in that I should probably get another oilfield job, although use the motivation from being laid off to really pursue something else. An opportunity came up for a small manufacturing company close by (for oilfield pumps), and I was a perfect fit. The recruiter found me. Completed 2 interviews, was all set, and then... silence. The market conditions kept stalling, and then got worse (here in PA/OH/WV area). Supposedly that job is still on-hold, and I've got a chance to have it, but it's been almost 3 months and it just feels like it'll never come.

Hoping for that job took the wind out of my job-search sails. I wanted to give my wife a break and took the two boys (now 4 and nearly 2) to my parents for 10 days. The last day I was chasing my older one around the house in socks and slippers - "faster dad, faster!" I complied, only to lose my slipper on a turn right before planting my foot, and slipping and slamming into the corner of a wall. Of course I hadn't gotten my COBRA health insurance, because that job was right around the corner! 8 weeks later, and it still hurts, though not as bad. My self-diagnosis was a partial tear of one of the ligaments on the first metatarsal joint (the outside of my right foot big toe's main joint). Didn't help that 2 days ago the neighbors kid and I both weren't looking when we were outside playing with the kids, and he ran that foot over with the new powerwheels we got the boys.

I miss you guys, I miss the days in the oilfield where I was making money but could sit and read everyone's posts. I feel paralyzed by the kids - feeling guilty for not helping take care of them enough because I need to look for a job, but then being unproductive in my job search.

And I started playing the stock market, with options. I had been foolin' around for a few years, making a bit, losing a bit. Things were going swimmingly a few weeks ago, I was up 8 grand. And then I decided to short tesla, although I'd sworn never to mess with that irrational stock. I cashed everything out yesterday, down 22 thousand - options don't give you the opportunity to sit around and wait for things to come back your way, the leveraged  returns come with the risk of expiration dates. That's most of my savings, although I've got a healthy 100k in my 401k in the worst case scenario. Obviously I've got friends and family to help if I needed it before I even dipped into that, but no one knows of this disastrous financial loss except one friend. I've learned my lesson, but boy is it painful, and so embarrassing. I feel like a fool.

Worst of all, I just don't know what to do. I have SO many skills. I'm good at math, science, inter-personal skills, the last few years I learned some sales. I'm an excel pro. Obviously you know I love gardening, and my veggies this year were tremendous. I made 23 jars of salsa, and I've got about 10 x 20lb candy roaster squashes (finally grew those babies after 3 years in the fridge). Each one can make about 4 pumpkin-esque pies. We can't eat all the cherry tomatoes anymore, they're coming too fast. 11 jars of dill pickles. The peppers aren't doing as well this year, except maybe the serrano tampiqueno's, that's gonna be a bumper crop.

I keep cycling between ideas of what to pursue in life. Another oilfield job -> start a pierogi business -> find a shitty job in the cannabis industry just to break in and work my way up -> start an upscale/wooden grow-closet selling business -> go back to school for something/anything -> keep pursuing my knowledge of the markets/economics -> get an oilfield job, thats where I've got 8 years of experience! And so on.

I want to do something that creates value. I have a new friend who is also relatively new to the area we are in SW PA, and he's got a lot of tools to help me build another grow closet, new and improved version 2.0! We should be getting started on that soon. Can you guys believe I just smoked the last of the kief of the last of my grows from a couple years ago. I'm happy it lasted that long, and that was only the 10%-ish that I kept. At the end here, I was even smoking the trim.

Can you guys help? I find myself crying from time to time when I'm alone, and it just makes me feel even worse, like I'm pathetic. How do I know what to choose, to dive into, and put my efforts behind?

You brought a tear to my eye. Big hugs hun, What ya need?

• Thanks 1

Eh, just coming back to you guys feels good. I want to direct my energy in some more positive directions. I had a long convo with the oilfield recruiter's brother. They have an oilfield recruiting biz and also a separate cannabis recruiting biz. The brother does a lot of the cannabis stuff, and we just had an hour long convo, and this guy is super nice, he's going out of his way to help me despite not getting paid for it. So keep your fingers crossed, he reached out to a million contacts, and already there's some guy in PA (although far from me) who is going to call me. I'm ready to take my growing skills to the next level. Time to dive into the deep end.

• Like 5