•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Wrecks

No mother perpetual SOG

It's been awhile since I've done an update. A couple of words first.

Been growing for a couple of years now, and I've had 2 issues.

Issue #1 was my bad soil / pH. The problem there was that I was always close. It would have been better to have utter failures with soil / nutes right at the beginning. That has been addressed. I'm using neutral soil, and good liquid nutes. I can switch back to organics at some point, because I had discovered that when you introduce soil organic fertilizers to soil-less media, you have to use a good amount of lime, because the neutral mixes have no natural buffer for manures, composts, etc.

My second issue is that I just can't leave them grow to the finish without getting in there and starting to smoke shit from week 4 on. I see the crystals, know they will get me high, and snip, snip, snip, and soon it's down to nothing. It's really bad, and I feel like a dufus posting this, but there we are.

I've tried posting pics for all to see, in hopes that knowing my cronies on here have seen it, that would help me leave them be, otherwise public shame.

Well, that hasn't worked; I just have many progress reports that don't go anywhere.

They say never quit trying, though, and right now this minute, I have a mind to never touch anything again until it's ready.

So, let's see if I have the balls and the will to let these motherfuckers grow! I try again; here are some pics for all to see. Somebody please call me a stupid bastard, and just say STAY THE FUCK OUT!

Here is station #1 at 7 weeks. As you can see, I've been picking away since the first visible resin appeared. A bit thin, wot?

gallery_6332_4141_82890.jpg

Here is station #2 at 4 weeks. I did my last fucking shitfingers picking about an hour ago, and there is enough left to leave alone, and let mature into some nice buds. I want to let these go for 9 weeks, and then a 2 week slow dry before I smoke any. That would be 7 weeks from today. I can smoke a ton of pot in 7 weeks, so after today, I am going to quit (OH, GOD!) for 7 weeks, then get super baked off my nice skunk weed.

gallery_6332_4141_209119.jpg

gallery_6332_4141_79961.jpg

In station #3, I am trying something a little different. I want some nice chunky buds, so I'm going for total lollipops. A bit of a return to something I tried before, but now my soil/nutes are tight, and I have a better idea of how many tops these 2'X2' stations will support.

I started by letting these clones have 3 branches, instead of my usual 2. There were 36 main tops in total. I cut out the 4 weakest, leaving 32. I lollipopped them, and spread them out to figure who might go where

gallery_6332_4141_135144.jpg

For the first time, I hung my net 1st, then placed them one by one. I just finished doing this, and I'll let them orientate themselves for a few days before I do any more training. This is 1 week in flower. I will lollipop them once more at 2 weeks, then play things by ear. A little bending and tying after that should result in a nice looking canopy. This should be my sea of green. What I am really doing is growing 32 buds. I don't know if they could rightly be called plants anymore. Doesn't matter. I get ideas in my head, then just run with them. This strain seems very forgiving. Just a very robust strain, I would say.

Doesn't look like much now, but I think, if I just keep my peckertongs out, this station will produce a helluva nice crop.

gallery_6332_4141_185906.jpg

gallery_6332_4141_30903.jpg

Let us see if this old creamcan can mend his ways, and wait for something beautiful.

• Like 1

Just remember Wrecks, a gram at 4 weeks is 5 grams at 8-9 weeks. Leave em alone, pruning even lower bugs will cause some shock so you're not only taking less at a loss, you're opening the door for overall greater loss in yield.

Patience is the absolute down-fall of every grower at one phase or another. Look at your growing experience as just that, phases. Take them in stride, learn from mistakes and keep moving forward until you can grow without "thinking".

Cheers

RM

• Like 3

Wrecks,

Have to admit this is my first time reading your grow/ snip and smoke log :-) awesome little setups you got going on! Good luck with your new methods and try to wait for them to finish, it will be worth the wait!

• Like 1

Loving it. What you are going to have to do to keep this going is (and I think you realize this) cultivate your soil for a long time. You are going to have to cultivate that soil for many years before you are able to do this continually without much worry of "symptoms". Get yourself a big ole' 40-90 gallon tub and throw your dirt in there. Start turning it and adding to it when you get a little extra money. In a few years time you will be able to just grab some dirt and go on with out worry. The first few years will be the hardest.

• Like 1

I don't know if I'll ever get into real soil, but that sounds like the way to go to me. Thanks, Dasheesh. :)

• Like 1

What ever you are doing works so keep it up. I was just speaking from personal experience. I just love these little improve micro grows. We are really starting to push the limits and see what these plants can do now that it's being viewed with a more positive light I think. I'm always amazed at the amount of abuse they can take! They just want to grow man. Enjoy that hard earned smoke.

I've wanting to do something similar and have learned a lot from this thread. Thanks for posting honestly, including your mistakes and regrets. I must have missed it, what size pots are your plants in?

You are keeping it simple and doing amazing things! :specool

• Like 1

wrecks, you will only be able to stay away from snipping/smoking when you grow enough to have jars of bud.

Veg longer, make more buds by training and stagger the times between your flower areas (you have more than one, right?)

I truly like what you are doing/growing and your setup overall, your plants seem to be doing great. :dribble:

check out Torsti's grow area and the amounts of buds he gets from fluos

https://www.opengrow.com/topic/45157-28-x-31-in-the-mirror/

and with leds and removing the stretch (below the net) you could do a double stack

some ideas :wave:

gallery_6278_4195_39905.jpg

gallery_6278_4195_26125.jpg

• Like 1

Hey, thanks Bobbi. :) These are old tobacco cans; about 1 Liter.

Good ideas, Robo. The more grams, the better. :)

• Like 1

here's a pic of my closet humble veg/clone/electrical room, over the years I have taken many ideas from how other growers have their spaces arranged and it has always helped :wave:

gallery_6278_4195_45763.jpg

• Like 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZrgxHvNNUc

My madness has passed, and I slowed things down on purpose.

These were vegged for two weeks, then topped, leaving 4 branches to veg for another two weeks.

I then pruned the two smallest branches from each.

gallery_6332_4317_14885.jpg

It is quite stretchy. 3X, I would say. I like how my walls are all in the shade. :)

gallery_6332_4317_88227.jpg

I let them go 1 week 12/12, then pruned all lower growth, and cast my net.

All of these pics are todays'; 20 days 12/12.

3 days ago, I fed them a max dose of nutes ... nothing bad seen, just really good bud development.

According to what I've heard and read, this plant is a real nute hog. On the bottle, it says that's 2.7 EC, without taking my water into account.

gallery_6332_4317_122292.jpg

... and the gratuitous trich shot.

awww, kind of looks all warm and fuzzy in it's purple light bathed self.

gallery_6332_4317_56140.jpg

43 days to go, then another 14 to jar/smoking dry weight. 9 weeks may be over-doing it a little for this strain, but I don't think it will hurt the aroma/flavour. :)

57 days. I will not smoke any of this round for 57 days.

1 gram per watt with a cheap Chinese 90 watt UFO, here I come! *evil laugh*

• Like 3

Looking great and beautiful canopy! Keep up the great work, stay green and be safe..

Hey wrecks, what was your max gram/LEDwatt and max yield total in your 2' x 2' space so far?

Thanks, Starinhazy. :)

@Damar

So far, 2/3 G/W is the most I've ever got. That was from Lemon Skunk (Skunk #1 X PCK) It was a lot less stretchy, but had pretty bulky tops. 175 grams from 270 watts.

gallery_6332_3373_72954.jpg

I thought those jars would last forever. lol, wrong. :)

• Like 5

Permanent new way for me. I used to veg rooted clones for 1 week, and then top for cuts. Now I veg for 2 weeks before topping. Big ass cuts, and they look really healthy. Hopefully they root out OK. I have a good feeling.

gallery_6332_4141_74513.jpg

Day 27 of 12/12 over yonder

gallery_6332_4141_259720.jpg

My mind may be playing tricks on me, but I think the heavier dose of flower nutes has spurred them on to some stronger trichome production. I bet I'd get high off that... hmmm.

gallery_6332_4141_46070.jpg

• Like 2

Wrecks - Nice plants. Doing well under those small lights.

I am a bit of an organic guy. Feel free to swing over to my thread for quite a bit of info that is being assembled.

I know you are running bottles now but also considering going back to organics at some point. I will throw in a couple of hopefully useful comments.

One very important thing is to let you soil cycle, damp for a minimum two months. It really helps the process if you put the proper life into the soil by including VERY high quality compost and/or worm castings. Inoculate this with a worm casting tea while it cooks for two months to help it cycle properly. That alfalfa in your old mix is very hot and can throw crazy ph swings while it cooks. You are correct that a sufficient amount of lime will buffer the soil to a neutral ph, particularly once it has cycled properly. The compost also has buffering capacity from the life it brings.

You may have a hard time with the pot size as well. The bigger the pot the better with organics. The system works itself out better and there are nutrients available for the whole cycle. With a tiny pot you will end up with a soil that is too hot to start and not strong enough to finish. I would recommend a tub of soil that you plant all the clones into together. This would work well. You can also top dress as needed. With the small pots, you will likely need to supplement with bottles from stretch through finish. They do make decent organic bottled nutes too if you wanted to consider that.

What you are doing looks great! Just trying to help if you want to go back to organics.

Dude

• Like 1

The more I watch your grow the more I think a LED has to be in my 2014 future. Keep it up man you really got a good system working for yourself. I will tell you this thread inspired me to throw some extra fem clones in a uhaul box and try something even smaller. I got no fancy grow lights, but snagged a 65W flouro, equivalent of a 300W Inc. and the females seem to enjoy the light and even the dirt, they are flipping over and nugging out. Thanks for inspirning me to try something smaller than what I already do. If the wife finds this box, it will be an interesting discussion........Also for the first time in over a decade, I had to throw them in the dirt. Time will tell. Thanks for kicking me in the ass with the lil idea and project. just need to wire up a cpu fan to get some circ going and I think she is complete. Have a great weekend Wrecks and stay safe.

keep it green

• Like 1

I ended up smoking on some after all. I'll still have a decent little harvest. There are 6 pots / 12 tops remaining at week 7. Only a couple of weeks to go.

They should give me a solid 3 grams each. Here's one. Not a great picture; I'll have to take some green shots at harvest time.

gallery_6332_4317_29275.jpg

I had decided long ago to let this round flower for 9 weeks, but I thought I'd check the trichs at 7 weeks, something I haven't done for awhile. I think their state is clearly evident in this picture, and they'll go 2 more weeks easily

gallery_6332_4317_101313.jpg

The dirty dozen

gallery_6332_4317_111548.jpg

I gave them a very light touch of nutes at week 6, then watered on Wednesday. All in all, too wet, but I wanted to flush today, so I flooded them to saturation with plain tempered tapwater, then let them sit for an hour, Then topwatered with pH'd water for lots of run-off.

I didn't want them to go into that awful, leaf drooping overwatered state, so I figured I'd whip out my trusty wooden spoon handle, and make some air holes, so that the roots can have some O2, and maybe the pots will dry out more quickly before the 8 week final watering/flushing. By the time I harvest at 9 weeks, they should be pretty clean. This round will end this thread off. It's pretty clear what I'm doing.

gallery_6332_4317_73919.jpg

I'll make a new thread for a finished round, once I've made the jump to ludicrous speed ;)

*cough*

gallery_6332_4317_187471.jpg

I'm looking forward to taking some harvest pics in a couple of weeks, under normal light. They should be sporting lots of pretty orange hairs by then. :)

• Like 3

They were freaky for me also, Randude. I'm used to them now, and what's freaky is seeing them in natural light.

The latest round is almost done @ 59 days. It would look nicer if there were 22 tops, instead of 12, and all about 3 inches longer. I'll still have a decent amount to smoke until my next harvest.

This will close this thread for me; been here long enough. I'll carry on with what I'm doing for awhile, and keep documenting things, just in case I have a harvest worthy of viewing.

Until then, here is my latest round; coming down this weekend. I was going to do some experimental stuff, but the flushing seemed to really clean them out... fans turning yellow, and all that, so I just stripped the fans for the final few days. They should give me a good 36 grams, or so.

gallery_6332_4317_105089.jpg

Ciao for now. :)

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing man. It is great seeing people do stuff that is different.

• Like 1