•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
robogro

Rick Perry Mellows on Pot

In Texas,I never thought I would hear any movement on pot in my lifetime.

http://news.yahoo.com/rick-perry-mellow ... ZJUDM1Ml8x

Well, he isn’t for legalizing the drug but the Governor of Texas, in the rather un-Texan setting of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, endorsed taking steps towards decriminalizing cannabis possession on Thursday.

In a panel at the prestigious forum, Perry said: “What I can do as the governor of the second largest state in the nation is to implement policies that start us toward a decriminalization and keeps people from going to prison and destroying their lives, and that’s what we’ve done over the last decade.”

In a statement to the San Antonio Express-News, Lucy Nashed, a Perry spokeswoman attempted to clarify the governor’s position. “Legalization is no penalty at all whereas decriminalization doesn't necessarily mean jail time (for minor possession offenses),” she said. “It means more of a fine or counseling or some sort of program where you don't end up in jail but in a rehabilitative program.”

The Texas governor’s support for decriminalization comes in the aftermath of both Colorado and Washington legalizing marijuana and President Barack Obama signaling his lack of his disapproval by stating that the drug is less dangerous than alcohol in an interview with The New Yorker.

Perry’s statement is particularly interesting because the Texas Republican is not running for re-election in 2014 and, instead, is believed to be considering another presidential bid in 2016. If so, staking out a liberal position on marijuana seems to be a rather bold strategy, particularly considering that the Texas governor is likely to rely on the support of social conservatives in any future bid for national office.

While legalization may still be a bridge too far for many politicians, Perry’s is still a clear indication that there are now far fewer political consequences for backing marijuana decriminalization.

Where there's Dope, there's Hope...Change you can believe in.. :dope:

• Like 2

Only area left as a strong anticannabis force is the deep southeast. I see Bama coming around next. I think they are ready for change. I see Georgia and Florida as being pricks to the bitter end though.

• Like 2

The idea is spreading.. but Never in Louisiana

When I was in Louisiana the DA was seeking 5 years for a second MJ offense. Even a roach.

• Like 1

times and elected officials are changing ... parents are tired of their children going to jail for non-violent crimes like possession of Pot.

96.gif vs 46.gif47.gif47.gif

Yeah, I saw that interview. The biggest thing I got out of it was that it will never be legal in Texas as long as Perry is in office.

Admittedly, decriminalization is a start. But rehab... smh

• Like 2

Oh the drug rehab industry is going to go down kicking and screaming over pot legalization.

They are loosing the only clientele that can pay for it.

• Like 3

Yes Scone, money talks. People make cash building and running prisons also. Now that the banks are going to handle the cash and states are collecting taxes the big money people are moving there chips around.

• Like 2

I think Perry was just put on the spot and said the most pro-pot thing he could muster. "Decriminalization" is a fucking 1970s term. Growers of a few plants will still lose pretty much everything they own if caught.

• Like 1

Decriminilization in tx is county by county possesing over a gram of hash is mandatory mininum of 5 years but a qp of mj is a misdemenor depending what county and law enforcment agency catchs you. If its dps your likely to go to jail.

Hardly decriminalized in my opinion as more of the cali crowd turn tx blue possible not under perry or greg abbot though

• Like 1

I think Perry was just put on the spot and said the most pro-pot thing he could muster. "Decriminalization" is a fucking 1970s term. Growers of a few plants will still lose pretty much everything they own if caught.

Very perceptive. He wants a chance at the White House and knows he has no chance without support from the left who invariably support cannabis.

• Like 1

The marijuana lobby of the united states is very vocal, a powerful lobby full of responsible people that vote and write their opinions on the boards. A person can go to a forum, state opinion and many mention their states. I mention my city personally. For people seeking statistics it is as easy as buying seeds or getting grow advice. Many give advice on being stealth in a place that it is illegal. Smuggling into the united states is quickly becoming a dying profession. I will not buy imported weed unless it is the absolute bomb (it happens) and hopefully with lots of seeds. But the growers and smokers in the USA are numerous and diverse. We are an effective lobby, even if incognito.

• Like 2

Hes full of fn shit...its his way of getting the younger vote...the dude is a whack job. If Texas decrims ill shit n fall fall face first in it. An oil producing state? Man the only way I see him being truthful is if the oil fields are drying up and dick sees $$$$ in weed...it wont be for the better of the people. Gotta be a ploy for him to say such bs when hes so far the other direction...but, hopefully theres still a shread of truth coming out of his melon

That is a real weird part of the country.

It's like everyone is twisted the wrong way or something.

I know they drink allot down south.

Allot.

I worked for the refineries before, hated it. Of course my role was engineering, but we were all treated the same. 15% every month was randomly tested and a postive pot was automaticly fired.