•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Zrex

New Member and Grower with OCPD

Thanks to the admins/mods for validating me so quickly (registered last night). Apologies to Polder for asking for help before reading the new members forum... A brief introduction before getting to the important stuff. I'm a 52 year old guy recently diagnosed with OCPD. Not quite the same as OCD, but it has caused problems in life for me (inlcuding the loss of a job and nearly my marriage). Someone turned me on to a couple of hits of good smoke and it lifted my spirits a good deal. I actually smiled, laughed and was enjoying life for awhile! I figured it would. I used to smoke a lot in high school. But that was the late 70's/early 80's when we didn't have a clue what we were smoking. Just bought what was available when it was available... Problem is, I never found out what kind of "good smoke" this was! So I started studying, reading all I could find about strains and growing it. OCPD kicked in though and all the differing views could get more confusing for me than educational. So, I decided to just give it a try and here I am.

Seed Selection:

Since I don't know and can only make assumptions, I chose to go with Sannie's Fem Mix and also bought the regular Jackberry F4. For my initial grow (which I will post with pics in a more appropriate forum- probably Sannie's area unless advised otherwise), I have chosen to go with 1 seed of the feminized Killing Fields and 3 seeds of the Jackberry (hoping to get at least 1 female). I assume this combination will work without serious issue. Seeds should arrive next week.

Soil:

I wanted to use FFOF, but have read conflicting reviews of it. I would rather NOT use what the stores around me carry which is Miracle Gro and other like soil with fertilizer added, moisture control, etc. Just want good dirt I can rely on. I live on a horse farm and have a ton of rotted manure, but probably full of bad juju. Anyway, if I want something other than Wally World or Lowes soil, looks like I'll have to buy online. I also have a couple or few pounds of worm castings and thought I would mix that in with 30% perlite into whatever soil I go with. Also have some General Hydroponics Grow, Bloom and Micro liquid I can use (as long as it is still good. It's about a year old). Have some Neptune's Fish and Seaweed fert too. Plan to use 10" or 13" pots and leaning toward 13". Will start seeds in jiffy pots or spongepots.

Lighting:

I have a 4' 6-lamp 54watt T5 setup that I will use start to finish. I have 6 each of the AgroMax Grow (6400k) and Bloom (3000k) lamps.

Grow Box (under construction):

I tried to get creative by using two old bookcases that I have turned to face each other, spacing them far enough apart to allow my light fixture to fit into one side with enough space on the other side (with a shelf) for clones, which I will add another small floro lamp to do. I've taken some heavy white fire retardant plastic material that is used in construction with scaffolding, doubled it up and wrapped it around the backs and sides of the bookcases. I'll hang it in the front too making curtains for access. The back of the box is placed in front of a window that I've boarded up except for about 3" along the bottom so I can crack the window open for ventilation as necessary. This may turn out to be a problem as the material doesn't completely block the light that comes through, but I figure I can eliminate that by hanging mylar to line the insides of the box. I'll cut some kind of vent through the material and add a piece of 6" hose from  the box to the window crack....

More in the grow thread later- with pics of it all. I'm determined to do this without asking for help. But I see that with a grow log, experienced growers often chime in when  they see a problem that goes unnoticed. So I will welcome inputs but will try not to ask for them. Wish me luck!

Welcome Zrex, good intro my friend. I use FFOF and don't have problems with it, besides some occasional gnats, which can be handled pretty easily as long as it's caught in time. There are other mixes that are better and I will eventually mix my own , but for now it works just fine for me and my set up. Good luck with your grows and feel free to ask questions , this forum has many cool and interesting folks and most , if not all, are willing to help out.

Welcome dude! I hope that you find this place as helpful and educational as I have!

Welcome.

I would choose FFOF over Miracle Grow, though I'm not a fan of FFOF. The stuff they sell in my area is too hot for most of Sannie's strains and all of Esko's strains. Anesthesia loves it.

Welcome to OpenGrow Zrex.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. As far as grow medium goes, if it's made from organic matter, it will have some level of decomposition adding a small constant nutrient value to the medium. Most "nature" based grow mediums are the same, they are made from the same ingredients... usually "composted forest products" along with other composted products like poultry guanos or rice hulls... all of this adds to the NPK value of the medium. The funny thing is, Miracle Grow is about the only company to put it on their bag... their NPK is around .30% per nutrient value... which isn't much.

You said you have horse manure available? I would start a compost pile and start composting some horse manure, along with any table/veggie scraps that are not meat or meat-based now. You can add just about any animal waste to the compost except for dog or cat waste(it can contain harmful bacteria/pathogens that can be dangerous to plants).

Growing homegrown weed in homemade soil is what organics is all about!

Looking forward to seeing your progress on your current grow.

DesertGrown

• Like 1

Hey, thanks DG. We have 7 horses, so yeah, we have LOTS of manure that I already have composted or composting in separate piles that I turn periodically. Some of it has been composting a year or so. Good and rotted and great for pastures. But I was concerned about introducing bugs, weeds and disease into my grow. I'll have to read up on how to use it safely indoors because I definitely want this grow to succeed at all costs. I have no other way of getting smoke! It would really suck to get weeks or months down the road and end up having to start over again caused I screwed up. So I'm keeping it small (3 plants is my goal) and as easy as possible, trying not to overthink my first grow. Once I have some stash, I can (and will) experiment more.

Having said all that, I'd welcome your recommendation on getting the manure ready for use. As I said, my only use for it has been to spread it on pastures...

Thanks again!

BTW, I started my grow thread in the Sannies forum with pics. I went with FFOF because I was able to find some locally.

I think you'd have to do "hot composting" to kill the weeds in the horse manure. Don't ask me how, I just remember a connoisseur of composting I used to know mentioning something about hot composting killing weed seeds.

• Like 1

Misterdirt, I think that involves turning your compost pile until it's all composted down, which I do. The problem is that once it is all broken down, the pile cools and all kinds of critters make a home in it. Some good, most bad... So that is what I'll need to research and find out how to get rid of the bad before bringing it inside.

I'm not sure Zrex if this is of any use to you, I guess it depends on how big piles of manure you have?

http://deepgreenperm...ing-in-18-days/

With bigger amounts, I don't know perhaps one can try to turn it with a tractor etc.

Seems you airaete it and keep it moist enough, right?

And it's never a bad idea to pee on compost... :)

Never mind if this was all bollocks or old news, just tried to think what could help and had to google and had to comment...

:unsure:

• Like 1

Nice find!!... that's an awesome link GhostPoet... that's exactly what I was thinking of. It gives you ALL the information you will need to complete this task... large or small. The list of suitable "greens" and "browns" is really cool and very helpful. When I 'hot compost', I make sure the center of the pile gets to at least 160F, this will ensure that any pathogens, pests and weed seeds are killed. .. it also turns the bulk of the compost pile into usable soil within a few weeks, instead of 6 months or more using the "cold" method.

• Like 1