•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

GhostPoet

True breeders and seedbanks worth their salt

My recent run in with a few accidental crossings has me really contemplating all of this focus on the breeders and not the actual genetics and their validity.

As for breeders throwing in landraces, I see it a marketing gimmick but I'm a skeptic.

RM

• Like 3

Yeah rev I agree 100% with that statement. The thing is a lot of breeders will straight up lie for $$$. Like ken estes saying some Blackfoot Indian tribe gave him the original GDP. They don't even live there and this guy is on YouTube telling this bs story...

It's at the point the strain name means nothing with these "breeders" except if it will sell. DNA has a "Tangie" hat, a Fking hat....

If a gun was put to my head and all I had to do was go off discriptions

I would look for a breeder with few if any marketed names, one that has at least 1 f3 or up, and positive feedback.

I pretty much just described sannies group , guess that's why I hang around lol.

I don't believe for 1 second gage green worked a landrace Thai sativa and stabilized it to breed with their male from loompa's headband stock. Neither does Bodhi, he has access and a few kick ass males and knows how to select.

To compare that to someone who created and IBL, DJ short, or say sannies jack f8 is laughable to me, but that's just like my opinion lol.

• Like 2

Sometimes opinions are bang on. I don't even think the breeders who do this are doing it for money it's all ego and the internet is like a all-you-can-eat buffet of it.

My concern is how do we know the honest guys didn't get lied to when they got that "special cut" to breed with? Any time I hear of a Dutch master using a NA clone only I cringe.

This also brings up a golden question. Can anyone be a truly "bad" breeder? Again, focus is always taken off of the plants themselves and put on the human but let's face it, a simpleton with a couple of great lines in their hands can accidentally or intentionally create the next "OG Kush".

Strains that have a fairy tale story should automatically draw criticism. It just doesn't happen like that. Read up on OG Kush's origin and tell me that you truly believe that shit.

RM

• Like 5

@REV

@GREY

I agree with you guys 100%...

Didn't think that anyone else got the little jokes I was making about all of the names and "Next new strains" out there.

It gets confusing to an old guy like me. I ran dna gear before, and yeah, people bash their stuff - but in the end it's all about the weed, Rev. Not the name. Plain and simple, that stuff got me high so I grew it. Didn't matter to me whether I went to amsterdam to get seeds on StNicolassstraat or if I found 'em in a bag of good weed. I'd smoked some chocolope, loved it, and went to find the seeds.

When I smoke REALLY BADASS weed I always want to know what the lineage is, not who bred it. Fucking seeds can't read pedigrees. All of these new names drive me nuts. Girl Scout Cookies? Don't get me wrong, I love great herb and want to try this stuff, but the names and hype by breeders these days is ridiculous.

A dummy like me can come up with a holy grail strain simply by accident. As long as I get the right beans. It's all about researching the strains, not the breeders. Find the best, most stable, dankest (whatever you crave) buds out there and you'll find the guys breeding them. That's how you find a breeder. And not all breeders have the ability to maintain their stock over a lengthy period of time - only the truly dedicated ones, just like in the dog game. When selecting a breeder look for longevity and goals. Chances are that the larger the company, the less chance you'll have of getting 3 or 4 or more keepers in a pack or regulars seeds

You may get one good dog out of a hundred from a puppy mill. But with a real breeder, the chances are closer to one in ten, or sometimes TEN FOR TEN! A lot of what happens with a puppy after it gets an owner is the same as with seeds and their stewards...The right seed in the wrong hands winds up being compost. Look for the weed you you picture in your head as "holy grail" and you'll find out who's breeding that type of weed. Then it's just a simple selection process...who's been doing that type of work the longest, with the most consistency. there's only gonna be a handful of guys that consistently get rave reviews (especially in the age of the internet) then start with the smaller guys and you'll wind up getting a keeper pheno quicker, that's my guess. Just one man's opinion, though

Good weed is like a good dog. Right where you find it. I bred dogs for years and knew plenty of guys that bred them as well. They'd all claim, "My line goes back thiiiiiiirty generations, boy! It's the best!" and still sell you a piece of crap dog from his supposedly best sire and dam on the yard.

Look for people who have been doing it for a while and ALWAYS get good reviews. This site is great because you can see the different strains and get descriptions and pheno info, flo times and any other technical information about a strain to help you find what you want. Would I try tangie from dna, sure, is some one gave it to me...BUT YOU SEE WHERE I and many other have made their first orders from this year! let's see...40 beans for 100 something euros....you just can't beat it and I've been looking. The only other way to get good stuff cheaper than that is if someone gives it to ya.

I say Buy as many of the right beans as you can (you'll know when you get good ones) and then make your own. The Rev nailed it.

Just don't name it hucklechucklebombaclotbushmonsterhashplanthaze!!!

• Like 5

I'm with you. It's just if I want to go to a nursery and ask for a certain kind of orchid or vegetable seed by breed...I will get it along with the actual map of lineage if the gardener has their shit together. May be different in my area but greenhouse operators are usually awesome people to chat with.

Cannabis is the only actively bred plant in this day an age that the term "clone only" fits and it seems to line up with it being a black market item and names are the only things people can market their shit with.

I wish more breeders adopted the old SSSC naming schemes which was much more in line with proper botany naming schemes.

Everything was an M and a #.

RM

• Like 3

That would certainly make life a lot easier for guys like me who've only read basic genetic theory!

It's good to see someone saying nice things about BCBD for a change, I've got a Jack Herer Fem from them that's so potent everytime I have a little hoot in my bong I spend the next two and a half hours wandering around trying to figure out what the hell I was doing, pure energy plus total mindfuck, in a nice stable low stretch plant with a peppery/pine aroma and decent flavor, their Albino Rhino was very nice, didn't care for their lowryder#2 though.

I've always got my seeds from them but others claim they haven't been so fortunate, gotta remember that for every sketchy breeder scammin honest growers, there's a few thousand sketchy growers trying to scam free seeds, thanx Prohibition, we owe ya so much :angry: .

BalzOut

• Like 1

Ggg basically got lucky with good breeders. And now theyre getting known to me like greenhouse. Have you seen their prices? And theyve only been growin 7 years, and barely fuckin smoke. Theyre def in it for cadh. And by god theyre making it.

The bubba kush story is bullshit too Rev...one grower I knowvhas a pre 92 bubba. Plus they claim they were throwin it all over gainesville fl in 1997. I worked right by the university that fuckin year and never once heard the term bubba kush while I was there. And the fuckers claim they didnt even know the term kush existed, or even hindu kush existed, until recently. Claim his bro said something about kush berries and he calls everyone bubba so bubba kush it was. Plus they say the actual bubba they lost. The cut is the kysh renamed bubba after. And this dude is a master breeder? Lol!!!

Other than the breeders on Sannies, I'm very interested in Bodhi Seeds. In particular, Sunshine Daydream and Dream Beaver. I've never heard a single bad thing about Bodhi.

I want to see a joint project like the Breeder Steve (SOL) and DJ Short days. Those efforts brought some really fun gear that's still kicking around today..

Esko, Chimera and Bohdi would be all kinds of good.

RM

Guest UfoDisclosure

If I were a breeder myself I would choose and mix from the stocks of

-TH Seeds

-Sannie and crew

-Sensi

-Mr Nice

-Reeferman seeds

-Karma Genetics

-The Devil's Harvest

-Bodhi Seeds

-Hortilab

-Seedsman

-The Flying Dutchmen

-Delta 9 Labs

-DJ Short

-Sagarmatha

-Soma

-Seedism

-The Real Seed Company

-ACE

-Cannbiogen

-Underground Seed Collective

-Tropical seeds

-Dead African seeds

-Dutch Passion

-Reservoir Seeds

-Motarebel

-Paradise Seeds

-Mosca

-Mandala

And that's about it. The rest is either feminized, or copycats or I just don't know them

The sour grapes from apothecary is in fact grape stomper from gage green according to a reliable source he/they we mistakenly gifted cuts of the parents. Gage green breeders could clear it up, at least one of them is a member here :)

O RLY? ... speeking of other members who scampered off... Jeffman? Whats he up to?

From one of GGG people themselves Joseph OG is Loompa's underdawg stock. They have a male and female from Loompa's underdawg stock they use to polinate. Basically what I think sets GGG and Bodhi appart from chuckers is they have great selection talent ( like Esko but esko has and actual f3 so he doesn't really fit in this convo).

I wish more breeders who knew Opengrow and Sannie would cut out the corrupt middlemen already and list with sanniesshop... it's the humane thing to do guys...

That grape stomper, hah! Lots of bs with that. Gage is just doin things like a huge biz n thats why theyre gonna lose true smokers respect down the line. Im gettin some stomper n crosses but not supposed to breed with gages shit. But my ass aint gettin em from gage so they can kiss a donkey dick. And rev, bodhi n mota collab some. Sannie n mota left some stuff for us. Mota n sannie just dont have cannabis culture or high times hyping the gear. Breeder steve n dj short had marketing from mags behind them. But I gotta ask, since 2002 or so what have bs n dj short done since? Oh n bodhi is the dude who uses pre92 bubba btw...so f the gainesville tale imo....

Also some of you are listing companies which is fine. But like I mentioned Gage are using great breeders. Mota esko sannie bodhi kind of, these are breeders. They are the company. Ive been finding out alot of the inner workings of some of these big companies. Dont get me wrong, Gage have tremendous genetics, but their breeders are vast. Many many testers. True breeders know wtf they got imo. I dont need testers. Ill send what I got to people but once its out of my hands theyre your seeds to do whatever with em. I know how to take great strains and easily get f1s..a monkey can do that. But f2s selecting, then f3 selecting and so on,"thats breeding. Ko kush f4 is as good as f1. Sannies a great breeder. Hes got him and poor ol Knuetsal...Gotta give K man love...Hes a breeder helps sannie n Id say if he had to Kneutsal could throw out some crosses! I know hes not just baggin seeds!

• Like 2

Yea I saw that sannie mention knutsel does the selection in one of his making of topics. That's a skill, no doubt about it. I'm gonna stay out of the lineage input with you guys about, my knowledge pales in comparison.

Yeah even, I know the old school lineages and am starting to get to know the new wave of strains. Taste and power is great to find. Gage green guys may have botany degrees for all I know. But the strains they have they got from somewhere. They didnt just shit those genes out and boom gage are gods. Like everyone, I wanna find the best but I want the source. Those are the dudes that carry the genes skills n knowledge.

They didnt just shit those genes out

Now that would be a skill, it's a shame we can't cos paddys like me are known to be full of shite

Edit sorry wasn't including anyone else in that, just myself

Grey: So Joseph OG is really underdawg which is also called headband which is also yeti OG? Is this right?

Edited by even
  • Like 2

I've wondered before about Beanhoarder. There is no way his strains could be "worked" just because of the shere volume he puts out.

I do find it easy to believe that he has access to all of the strains that go into his crosses; it's just that they are pumped out fast and new all of the time.

I think that there would have to be many gems in there, considering the pedigree going into them. There are some bizarre and enticing crosses to be seen.

I would say probably a bit of a gamble, but a good chance at finding your psychedelic mindfuck weed.

*edit*

Plus, his stuff is to be found at Hemp Depot, and for years now, so that tells me he's "legit"

He makes simple F1 hybrids but by selecting the right parents and not charging absurd prices he's way higher on my list than most pollen chuckers out there. At least he's growing and selecting from seed and not selfing or crossing elites or open pollinating every plant that's not a runt...

I'm pretty sure it'd be easier to find winning plants in his F2's than from most original Mr. Nice stock...

I'd love to try his malawi thai crosses, haze F2's and his sweet tooth crosses.

Cannabis is the only actively bred plant in this day an age that the term "clone only" fits and it seems to line up with it being a black market item and names are the only things people can market their shit with.

Most fruit is grown from clones only, sometimes grafted onto specially selected rootstock for disease resistance which is also cloned...

Does anyone have experience with Hybrids From Hell? They produce early hybrids that seem to do very well in cold climates/short seasons. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting some soon for this years outdoor grow. Cheap as well, max is €16 for 13 seeds.

Some of Beanho's prices are low. Others are higher than most things at Sannies, from Leprechaun or JOTI.

I've never tried his stuff and I've got a multi-decade backlog on seeds at this point. I think I know who the guy is online, and he seems like a decent enough guy. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get some good keepers from him. I also wouldn't be surprised if you could get some keepers from Indican's gifts.

From the last few years I really like

Mosca

bodhi

Connoisseur

Rez I no reservoir seeds has had issues regarding hermies and his personality but I only care about is the plant nothing else and have found some gems

Hortilab

Tga

Some of Beanho's prices are low. Others are higher than most things at Sannies, from Leprechaun or JOTI.

I've never tried his stuff and I've got a multi-decade backlog on seeds at this point. I think I know who the guy is online, and he seems like a decent enough guy. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get some good keepers from him. I also wouldn't be surprised if you could get some keepers from Indican's gifts.

I've been growing some of Beanho's cheap seeds, the TrainWreck X Purple Chitral Kush, which I really liked, Nice thick colas and an excellent Buzz, and the Haze Hybrid mix with which I've had mixed results, prolly my fault, not really enough headroom in my cabinet to flower hazes, I end up having to tie them back down to the scrog right into the 4th week.

BalzOut

Hi all :)

Just wondering if anyone has got an order from BCBD in the last couple of months, I've seen some posts about their site getting hacked and I'd like to know that got fixed before I order some strawberry cough.

Y'all Stay Safe

BalzOut