•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Greetings from India. I'm at about 18-21 N, 70-73 E

It is my first inddor grow ever to be successful (hopefully), as i finally feel I have ironed out all of the problems I was facing earlier. I have grown massive trees of indian landraces and much tinier trees of seeds from mandala, dinafem, mr.nice and nirvana, but once moving to a new city with less outdoor space and a much warmer and significantly more humid climate, things were difficult. I have now managed to sort everything out.

So here's the information:

Medium : Coco based organic medium, organic additives include the easily available ones, like neem cake, pongamia cake, cottonseed cake, karanja cake, EWC. I also have cow manure to use if necessary, as well as bone meal.

Other medium additives: I have ordered my beneficial bacteria and fungi (trichoderma (viride and harzanium), mycorrhizae (Ventricular Arbuscular Mycorrhizae), Pseudomonas Florescens and Beauvaria Bassiana. The first two are well known as being effective in preventing harmful bacterial/fungal growth, everyone knows myco, psuedomonas florescens is another fairly general bio-pesticide and Beauvaria Bassiana is a insecticidal virus (parasitic) that infects nearly any arthropod that comes into contact with it's spores, or any arthropod that comes into contact with an infected arthopod. It is a pretty cool little thing that is vicious against pests (and, unfortunately, probably many beneficial bugs).

Growing space: Here's the crazy part - I have about 7.5 sq metre/80 sq feet (9x9) of flowering space and about 1.8 sq metres/ 20 sq feet (10x2) of veg space. they are both separated by a sliding door and are light proof.

room walls are flat white - no mylar here as far as i know

lighting (veg) - ~90w of T5 tube lights as well as 400w HPS, soon to be more when i choose a mother plant

lighting (flowering) - The largest size ballast available in this country are 400w Magnetic Ballasts. So I have a setup whereby I can accommodate upto 6 x 400w HPS bulbs, but as of now, I have only 2 set up.

Intake: Passive through a straight, unbending, hard 6" wide plumbing tube that's pulling air from outside

Exhuast: Massive exhaust fan that's pushing air outside. I don't remmeber the CFM/CMH of the fan but the air in the room is exchanged every 2-3 min.

strains:

5 x 8 miles high (mandala seeds, regular)

5 x thc bomb (bomb seeds, regular)

I have 5 more of each left, we'll see how things go

(i number the days with roman numerals until the seeds break the soil's surface as it is just how i like to do things)

day i:

seeds sowed in sannie's spongepots, watered with bacto, waiting to break surface!

Pictures soon folks!

• Like 2

Nice, however I have few concerns:

First of all, why grow indors, using lamps when the climate outside is perfect? I mean even with free electricity, sun spectrum is just better than any lamp can provide.

Secondly, a friend of mine who is from your country told me that power delivery is not constant in India, correct me if I'm wrong but if not, than have u got any back-up power source ? Also, why the biggest ballast available is 400W ? Is the government controlling the market or something ?

Good luck with the grow

Nice, however I have few concerns:

First of all, why grow indors, using lamps when the climate outside is perfect? I mean even with free electricity, sun spectrum is just better than any lamp can provide.

Secondly, a friend of mine who is from your country told me that power delivery is not constant in India, correct me if I'm wrong but if not, than have u got any back-up power source ? Also, why the biggest ballast available is 400W ? Is the government controlling the market or something ?

Good luck with the grow

hey buddy

1) i am not growing outdoors because the city i live in is very cramped for space…and property is expensive. to give you an idea, in downtown dubai the most expensive properties sell for about 3,700 DH (about 750 EU) per square foot. The most inexpensive properties within the city limits here sell for about 800 EUR per square foot, while half of the city's area has property rates between 1000 and 1500 EUR per square foot. compared to amsterdam's maximum price of 815 EUR per square footmy point is is self explanatory. outdoor space anywhere nearby is simply not available, and it usually takes 'foreigners' an actual trip to India before they are able to understand this concept, much like I am always mesmerized by the amount of greenery and empty space every time I travel ANYWHERE in europe. anywhere within 2-3 hours of driving distance from my city is not a good place to grow outdoors for the following reasons:

a) we have torrential monsoons 4 months a year, where it rains every day and the average relative humidity in the air is 95%. this happens in june, july, august, and a bit of september.

B) the months when it is not pouring, the relative humidity is around 80% and the temperature is usually in the vicinity of 30-35 Celsius. Heat + Humidity = plants not being able to transpire efficiently. To make things worse, there's almost no wind. A plant standing still outdoors in fairly moist weather in the heat is a recipe for disaster. Indoors, while it is not economical to dehumidify an 80sq foot flowering room, I can at least create ventilation and tend to the plants on a daily basis.

c) the only months when the weather hangs around 20-25C is december and january.

So that should conclude why I can't grow outside in this city.

2) your friend is correct. Power delivery is not constant in most cities, and in some cities you can say that a 'lack of power' is not consistent. while it is more consistent in my city, more is not enough, and so I have an inverter hooked up that can power the entire grow room for 48 hours in the case of a power outtage. so far the longest outtage has been 6 hours, and it has only happened once. The other power outages last about 10 minutes and happen maybe twice a week.

3) There are no ballasts above 400w because there's no market for them. In the construction field, there's no need for more than 400w HPS/MH bulbs. Nobody grows indoors - that's a market that has hardly even picked up here, and even if it has, people grow things like basil on their windowsill. Cultivation of plants is a major outdoor industry in India - nobody bothers trying to grow weed at home because it's so cheap to buy decent quality buds in season. So there's pretty much no market for lights/ballasts above that power rating. Also, it's linked to the fact that electricity is a relatively scarce commodity - and people would rather use the power running an A/C than a 600w HPS bulb.

• Like 1

Good luck to you on the grow , you have everything you need to get the results you, hope to see some pics .

Oops, I meant " to get the results you want "

Sorry dudes

hey buddy

2) your friend is correct. Power delivery is not constant in most cities, and in some cities you can say that a 'lack of power' is not consistent. while it is more consistent in my city, more is not enough, and so I have an inverter hooked up that can power the entire grow room for 48 hours in the case of a power outtage. so far the longest outtage has been 6 hours, and it has only happened once. The other power outages last about 10 minutes and happen maybe twice a week.

PHO-09Aug03-172765.jpg

Geekation_IndiasDangerousPowerLines.jpg

Best of luck,el chup

• Like 1

haha cheers saxo!

the first picture is fairly accurate, but the second looks more like a city after the festival of lights, where they make it a point to strap every road with ropes of LED lights in multiple colors from side to side. half of them usually don't turn on but it takes people a good 2-3 months of determined cleaning to get it untangled and off the streets.

• Like 1

Cultivation of plants is a major outdoor industry in India - nobody bothers trying to grow weed at home because it's so cheap to buy decent quality buds in season.

Well, what about trying to grow outdoors during that season?

Hmm i guess my first post wasn't clear enough.

I meant to say I have grown indian landraces, seeds from dinafem, mandala, nirvana and MNS OUTDOORS successfully in a couple of different locations with much more pleasant outdoor weather. They were all bumper crops. with the sunlight that we get here, i assume that goes without saying. colas the size of pepsi bottles. and the indian landraces gave me colas 2 feet in length for each untrained plant (when planted in sept/oct - harvested in march). The ones that were planted in july and harvested in march gave me buds in the values of kilograms. i had a single cola that was ridiculously long, perhaps as long as my arm from shoulder to wrist, and i'm about 5'8.

hey buddy

1) i am not growing outdoors because the city i live in is very cramped for space…and property is expensive. to give you an idea, in downtown dubai the most expensive properties sell for about 3,700 DH (about 750 EU) per square foot. The most inexpensive properties within the city limits here sell for about 800 EUR per square foot, while half of the city's area has property rates between 1000 and 1500 EUR per square foot. compared to amsterdam's maximum price of 815 EUR per square footmy point is is self explanatory. outdoor space anywhere nearby is simply not available, and it usually takes 'foreigners' an actual trip to India before they are able to understand this concept, much like I am always mesmerized by the amount of greenery and empty space every time I travel ANYWHERE in europe. anywhere within 2-3 hours of driving distance from my city is not a good place to grow outdoors for the following reasons:

a) we have torrential monsoons 4 months a year, where it rains every day and the average relative humidity in the air is 95%. this happens in june, july, august, and a bit of september.

B) the months when it is not pouring, the relative humidity is around 80% and the temperature is usually in the vicinity of 30-35 Celsius. Heat + Humidity = plants not being able to transpire efficiently. To make things worse, there's almost no wind. A plant standing still outdoors in fairly moist weather in the heat is a recipe for disaster. Indoors, while it is not economical to dehumidify an 80sq foot flowering room, I can at least create ventilation and tend to the plants on a daily basis.

c) the only months when the weather hangs around 20-25C is december and january.

So that should conclude why I can't grow outside in this city.

3) There are no ballasts above 400w because there's no market for them. In the construction field, there's no need for more than 400w HPS/MH bulbs. Nobody grows indoors - that's a market that has hardly even picked up here, and even if it has, people grow things like basil on their windowsill. Cultivation of plants is a major outdoor industry in India - nobody bothers trying to grow weed at home because it's so cheap to buy decent quality buds in season. So there's pretty much no market for lights/ballasts above that power rating. Also, it's linked to the fact that electricity is a relatively scarce commodity - and people would rather use the power running an A/C than a 600w HPS bulb.

Thanx a lot for such an informative post, now things are clear. Can u get a bit more detailed on power back up source? Im really curious on that as power cuts also happen ocasionally in my country of origin. What do u actually use ? Does it charge up from the mains or u have a liquid fuel powered generator attached to it ?

in my old city (bangalore) I was growing throughout the year. I had a much larger house with a balcony away from prying eyes that was about 3 square metres and i turned abut 2 square metres into a raised bed about 2 feet tall in which i grew my monsters. The monsoons weren't nearly as torrential there and the climate was a lot more pleasant, dropping to a minimum of 13C in december and a max of 35C in the summer…humidity was around 60% in the dry season and 80% during the 2-3 months of 'monsoon'

Thanx a lot for such an informative post, now things are clear. Can u get a bit more detailed on power back up source? Im really curious on that as power cuts also happen ocasionally in my country of origin. What do u actually use ? Does it charge up from the mains or u have a liquid fuel powered generator attached to it ?

I have a 10KVA inverter that charges up from the mains. if and when there is a power cut of a significant voltage drop, it shifts to power from the inverter automatically and seamlessly. It was an expensive goodie but well worth it.

Hiya! Good luck with this grow. Hope to see some pics. Sounds interesting. Peace.

I have to say that your threads are interesting and informative.

Still, pictures... you can even use your phone. All the pictures you can take of your grow and those outdoors will make the thread 100%

sounds like you got it all sorted out my friend, sending good karma your way bro!! just goes to show how versatile cannabis is! we don't realize how blessed we are to be abled to have quality growing products at our disposal. hard work and determination is gonna pay off for you bro, keep following up on opengrow and you will find what you seek and grow pot beyond your wildest dreams. I sure did! good luck and stay positive, AMW

sounds like you got it all sorted out my friend, sending good karma your way bro!! just goes to show how versatile cannabis is! we don't realize how blessed we are to be abled to have quality growing products at our disposal. hard work and determination is gonna pay off for you bro, keep following up on opengrow and you will find what you seek and grow pot beyond your wildest dreams. I sure did! good luck and stay positive, AMW

thank you for your support brother, from before, now and later : )

i'd like to make a quick note…here is the artist we brought to do an India tour, some of the most technically tight and crisp production i've ever heard…of course, it's not a genre for all ;)

https://soundcloud.c...ch-mama-india-1

on that note, without further ado

that was straightforward enough i assume..

interestingly enough, got my friend to pick up this GRO-CHAR from UK, we'll see how it goes, since this is my first time with this soiless mix i'll only be feeding as and when it's required. got a wee bit of guanokalong left as well…again if necessary

not sure how clear these are but this is my veg room…quality of pics is not great but it's my phone…hopefully, new camera soon

the surprisingly 5 week old chucky's bride and killing fields - the bushier one is the kf. they're looking tiny for their age because of the shit they went through when they were in pure coco. they are sexed and they're both female. chucky's bride has that typical 'weeeed' smell but very potent, even in veg. KF is lighter on the smell front but it's too early to tell in my opinion. anyways after being transplanted to the new soilless mix they're doing great. i transplanted the chucky's bride into a transparent container and sure enough in 2 days i saw white tips all over the sides and bottom…2 days more, and they are vigorously growing roots. and the kf went into a grow bag as well, which i will be using more of going forward.

more pics when i can! can't get shots of the flowering room because there is a distinct 'flicker' effect where the photo looks striped, by lit and dark regions. maybe it has to do with the mag ballast? i don't know to be honest

• Like 1

Hehe cool seeing someone post a hitech track on here!

Your grow sounds awesome, goodluck with it, and please get a camera :) :P

Hehe cool seeing someone post a hitech track on here!

Your grow sounds awesome, goodluck with it, and please get a camera :) :P

aaah south africa!!

we did bombax and paralocks last year! took em to the malana valley and held a gig in the middle of the forest, it was beautiful!

yes i am very very much into hitech ;)

camera will only come in a month or so unfortunately

• Like 1

;)

Unfortunately that scene is not as big here, and they play a lot of terrible shit. :P

Looking forward to seeing the space properly. As someone who has only ever grown properly outdoors, I am excited for you.

• Like 1

Namaste Bhai!

Namaste Baba, boom bholenath

first minor update

first sight of roots. 2 of the THC bomb and 1 of the 8 miles high. i'm guessing they will all have broken ground by friday night, it's wednesday evening now

question to the more experienced growers out there…

if i'm going to do a V SCROG around a vertically hung light bulb, what do you think should be the radius of the screen…basically a cylindrical screen around the bulb... or basically, the distance from the surface of the light bulb to the screen? as of now, the plants seem to be happy enough without any signs of heat stress or burn when they're about 10 cm from the light bulb, but i highly doubt i could move it much closer…gets hot...

assuming 20cm colas max (not sure how big they grow under hps :-/ ) would that mean that i should have a screen of about a 1 foot radius?

the deal is right now, i have the chucky's brids and KF vegging around a 400w HPS…so i was figuring for the next 4 weeks, i could just continue to veg the 2 around a screen while i veg these thc bombs and 8 miles high…and then flip em all into flowerin after about a month.

the plan is, with the thc bomb and 8 miles high, as suggested by a friend, i'm going to top each of them once and take one top as a clone. after a total of 4 weeks of vegging, i'll flip them to flowering while i veg the clones…eventually pick out the clones i like and veg em out nice and good while the other ones flower…then chop the keepers up into clones and flower them out.

i figure it's nice to have a plan as long as it's not set in stone...

so while im testing this out, i might as well try out the nutrients i've got to work with right?

http://www.saosis.com/shop/

this is a solid line of organic nutrients i used to use outdoors once every month or so, they have a seaweed liquid fert, an amino acid fert and a humic acid fert...

in addition to that i have:

cow manure (composted)

bone meal

neem based granular fertilizer (organic, slow releasE)

biochar (granular, organic, slow release)

bat guano (only about 250 grams though >_< )

now obviously there's no point experimenting with all of these while growing different strains, because i'm guessing they'll all be a bit different. that too, i've heard mandala strains are unusually efficient with nutrients, and have experienced the same with a couple plants from their safari mix. so i was thinking of going with 3 different ones.

1) soilless mix + bio char

2) soilless mix + cow manure/pinch of bone meal

3) soilless mix + cow manure/pinch of bat guano

spoke to the guy who sells this stuff and he said for example if i'm growing a flowering plant, i should start adding something to the soil or transplant to a slightly richer mix around 4-5 weeks from sprouting. so i was thinking cow manure for N/K and bone meal/bat guano for P. Bio char is supposed to be pretty good on it's own so i'll give that a shot too. i'll have the saosis on hand if things get ugly. they're one of those things that you can mix 1ml with a litre and the next day your plants will be back to normal

so here are the updates. after two weeks plants are looking minuscule. they've all been potted into different mixes, some with cow manure and the poting mix and some with just the potting mix...

chucky's bride is picking up and growing up ready to flower soon, but kf seems to have stalled growing completely.

as for the others they look small for two weeks

and these above are the three biggest of the lot (because they were transplanted from the

party cup to a container a few days earlier)

on the good side, i have finally got some seeds from a region called ahmedabad in india (also known famously for being a no liquor zone - booze is illegally trafficked here!! these seeds are surprisingly not looking like the thin leafy sativa. the bud was really good, dense and different from the normal indian weed. i'm scouring my phone and my friends' to see if i have a picture. its' still too early to tell.

and i also got three seeds of an unknown indica-leaning strain from a friend who just

touched down from nottingham - he is a masters graduate in plant genetics and breeding!

opinions folks? are they too small for two weeks or looking ok? :-/

• Like 1

They look healthy and happy. They just need some time to get going. :wave: