•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Link420

Candy Kush and Chocolate Rain Grow Report

Hey Opengrow Community :welcome: Thought I would share my current grow. This round is all Eskos work, so great things are expected. From everything I've read, there is no doubt about Chocolate Rain's awesomeness, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what this Candy Kush is all about. This Round did not start well, with bad germination rates and a slow start into veg. Got 0/4 on Chocolate Cheese, 6/10 on Chocolate Rain, and 4/4 on Candy Kush. Shit happens and I have no idea why. The next hurdle was the soil. I'v been growing in Plagron Growmix for years, so I wasn't too excited that my grow shop was all out. But hell, I already made the trip out there, so I had to get something, I opted out for Plagron Batmix. For sure did I think this Batmix was gonna burn the hell outa my plants, but surprisingly most plants took the move very well and have been growing fast and strong ever since. Now, about 8-9 weeks of veg later, things are looking better and the plants are about ready for flowering. Things so far:

120 X 60 cm Dark Room

Starlight T5 220w

GHE Flora Series, Useless Formula

Plagron Growmix Substrate, then the move to Batmix.

6 Chocolate Rains on the left and 4 Candy Kush on the right (with the hoops). The Candy Kush grew straight up, almost no side branching. It was gonna get way too tall, so it had to be trained and tamed. Here's some pics from week 7-8 of veg.

gallery_6501_4372_72968.jpg

Candy Kush training in progress. I use those hoop for supporting top heavy side branches, but they can be used for training too.

gallery_6501_4373_133655.jpg

gallery_6501_4373_108261.jpg

gallery_6501_4373_11707.jpg

Troubled Candy Kush. This one hasn't been happy since the transplant, showing signs of lockout. But there's nothing I can do for her, all the other plants are fine. Only the strong survive. She's still growing at a good pace, so I'm keeping her around...for now.

gallery_6501_4373_51196.jpg

After the initial bending, with lights dropped as close as possible

gallery_6501_4373_59141.jpg

gallery_6501_4373_18882.jpg

A few days later. 4 Chocolate Rain on the left (2 males were removed) and 4 Candy Kush on the right (with the hoops).

gallery_6501_4373_149510.jpg

Candy Kush training in progress

gallery_6501_4373_7006.jpg

gallery_6501_4373_118341.jpg

This really opened up the bud sites...

gallery_6501_4373_108993.jpg

Two Chocolate Rain males were removed from the tent, one was an especially impressive stud

gallery_6501_4373_61982.jpg

• Like 4

Nice long veg Link. I need to do more veging. Make some big buds, I know you will.

I like it, Link!

Gonna be watching those CR's closely...

Nice thread and pics. I am waiting patiently for my CKs to grow. I have a few in plastic cups. I will be eagerly awaiting new updates. Happy growing!

Hey guys, thanks for looking in and saying a few nice words. Here's a quick update, not many pics for now, but more to follow.

Switched to 12/12 a few days ago, now the fun begins! The T5 lights have reached the limits of their abilities, at this plant height they're not cutting it anymore. So tonight its getting replaced by a 400w HPS.

Same arrangement as before: 4 Candy Kush on the right, 4 Chocolate Rain on the left

gallery_6501_4372_112591.jpg

In the last two weeks, the girls went from happy to nitrogen deficient real fast. So I started feeding them. They got two small doses of the Useless formula, week 3 veg at half strength with added magnesium (.5 ml per liter) but I noticed than they can take a bit more. Yesterday they got a stronger dose, 3/4th strength week 3 veg solution with added Atami Bloom Stimulator. Thankfully it did the trick, they're back to green...they'll need in the stretchy few weeks to come. To help them stay happy, they're getting bigger shoes in the next few days, to give their roots a bit more space to do their thing.

Chocolate Rain with alternating nodes ready for take off.

gallery_6501_4372_93858.jpg

Candy Kush. I've heard of their enormous stretch potential, but didn't expect it already. Maybe they just weren't getting enough intense light, or its gentic, but I'm not liking what I'm seeing here: Long gaps between nodes...lets hope the extra watts of the 400w HPS will make things more tight

gallery_6501_4372_98507.jpg

• Like 1

Keep me posted on that CR, Link.

I just transplanted my seedlings and now the wait begins. Yours look great - how tall are they in those photos?

Good luck with the stretch on those Candy Kush!

Keep me posted on that CR, Link.

I just transplanted my seedlings and now the wait begins. Yours look great - how tall are they in those photos?

Good luck with the stretch on those Candy Kush!

Thanks for stopping by Master. The CR girls were a bit over a foot tall in those last pics.

Things are moving along, and two of the Candy Kush plants are still stretching like crazy. Here they are under the 400w HPS.

gallery_6501_4372_57127.jpg

gallery_6501_4372_147033.jpg

Candy Kush stretchy pheno

gallery_6501_4372_87594.jpg

Another Chocolate Rain male, removed.

gallery_6501_4372_58795.jpg

Cool.

Thanks for the look!

Wish I had some of that CR pollen right now...

They all look good, man. Keep doing what you're doing

very very bad news....

Candy Kush, looks good and healthy at first glance...

gallery_6501_4372_15685.jpg

gallery_6501_4372_3297.jpg

A closer look reveals the horrifying truth....

gallery_6501_4372_95173.jpg

These two are full on hermies! I'm talking male balls in your face, different than a few nanners in late flowering. I wasn't looking too close since their female seeds, I got lucky that I had to water them yesterday...a day or two more and they would have pollinated the whole tent. Now...breath, man, breath....I have grown Esko's stuff before and was not expecting this. I'm disappointed to say the least. All around I'm in a bad situation, due to the crappy germ rates of the Chocolate Cheese and Chocolate Rain, and now these hermies, my tent is half empty. If I'm lucky, this was the last of hermies to show their true colors, but I'm almost expecting more things to go wrong. My motivation is gone, I can only hope that the few remaining plants turn out good. Still, the whole effort of a long veg was a waste of time, next grow I'll go with the trusted short veg period. Oh well, enough bitching on my part. As I already said once: Shit happens, and I have no idea why.

Damn that sucks...i feel Sorry for ya! Shit Happens though..lets Hope the Rest Turn Out Great....next Time you'll have more females than you could add in Ur tent

Keep it Green

I like variety but I just trade buds with my peeps for that. keep a few moms and make clones bro, seriously. pick a good strong plant at the end of your grow, leave some popcorn buds on it and put her back in veg and in a few weeks you will see some abnormal growth, single blade leaves at first, then 3 blades then five then seven. after normal growth has resumed take cuttings and root them any style you choose. then no more hermies and half filled grows. resume your normal grow style from there. cloning is a backbone of an indoor pot grower, but what I do is run all indica dominants and trade clones with my peeps for variety. tree style right now but im going back to perpetual as soon as this run finishes. ill throw an occasional sativa dom. in the flower room and if it takes a little longer that's alright too. whatever works for you in your setup is always going to be your best bet. what works for me might not work in your setup, so just do what works the best for you, amw

• Like 2

Hey Link, don't give up so easily on the longer veg times.

I understand your frustration, but the satisfaction of getting it dialed in will eventually overcome that in the long run.

Take a look at those giant Anesthesia clones of amw's! Definitely worth the wait of a longer veg...

Keep banging away at it, brother. It's a process and there's a wealth of info on this site to help.

:tu

whatever works for you in your setup is always going to be your best bet. what works for me might not work in your setup, so just do what works the best for you, amw

There's a few reasons why I don't keep moms and grow clones right now. First, because I had to size down my hobby after moving to a new apartment, and therefore run only one tent. The biggest reason, however, is that I like growing from seed because I love variety and I love growing the unknown...new strains with new flavors. Been at it for a few years now, and have grown Sannie and Co. stuff ever since I discovered it, so I've had my share of variety, with some good, some great, and some keeper strains. The later is what I'm after. Constantly on the lookout for keeper strains, the ones that are above average in every way, the ones worthy of a permanent spot in my tent. These gotta be stable, have strong roots, fast growth, big yields, potent, with a good high, and above all great taste). Then, when my living situation allows it, I plan on keeping moms/clones of these few "selected" strains. I've been at it for a while now, and this is my plan. Stick to it, and maybe, just maybe I'll be growing like you one day :grinning_respect:

Hey Link, don't give up so easily on the longer veg times.

I understand your frustration, but the satisfaction of getting it dialed in will eventually overcome that in the long run.

Take a look at those giant Anesthesia clones of amw's! Definitely worth the wait of a longer veg...

Keep banging away at it, brother. It's a process and there's a wealth of info on this site to help.

:tu

I know you mean well, and I surely still have a lot to learn, but for a while now I've been fairly "dialed in". This round however, just hasn't gone like it should. I hear ya on the benefits of longer veg though, its the only way to get the true potential of a strain. Then again the short veg period is more fitting for my current available growing space. Really I was just fucking frustrated, it sucks to see something like picture above. I've exclusively been growing Sannie and Co,'s strains for the past few years, and haven't felt disappointed by any of the many strains, like I did the other day....lets I hope it was a "freak" occurrence.

As far as I know, just about any first generation hybrid can hermie. Its uncommon with tested strains from good breeders like this. But it can happen because its just part of the plant, like my kale outside that is busy pollinating itself right now.

Strains that have been worked a few generations are far less likely to have problems like that, because the natural tendency can be bred out.

I like F1 hybrids though. Good vigor and variety.

• Like 1

ever tried growing anesthesia? she is very stable[no herm issues] not available in fems but thers a keeper in every ten pack of reg seeds everytime. branches good for larger multi branched plants or smaller sea of green type grows works well too. ive grown her a few different ways both from clone and seed and all were easy trouble free grows. shes indica dominant but has little to no couchlock. unless you toke on up then her true indica nature will shine through. great daytime pot, great bag appeal too. pure eye candy bro, seriously. give her a go and see for yourself, you will keep growing this one for a long time, btw check out my mother cab, not very big but gives a shitload of clones whenever I need them. hell I have to keep them bonsai but all I need from them are cuttings and they give me what I need, clones, clones, and more clones.

100 1874

bonsai mother[anesthesia] seedlings from indican's seed stock. these are selene f2's and a few of my crosses as well.

100 1740

30 or so anesthesia clones on 24 hrs lighting and temps at 75 to 80 degrees rh 65 to 85%

100 1990

100 1992

Sorry about that, Link. I didn't mean to come off the wrong way - good to know you're dialed in already and that this was just a little bump. I get what you're saying about the seed vs clone thing, too. I use clones, but I want to get back to starting with fresh seeds every run. IMHO plants from seed are usually more vigorous.

Too bad you're restricted space-wise...

As far as I know, just about any first generation hybrid can hermie. Strains that have been worked a few generations are far less likely to have problems like that, because the natural tendency can be bred out.

I like F1 hybrids though. Good vigor and variety.

Thanks for the info dude. I know next to nothing about breeding, but that totally makes sense

ever tried growing anesthesia? she is very stable[no herm issues] not available in fems but thers a keeper in every ten pack of reg seeds everytime.

I have!

med_gallery_6501_3365_49088.jpg

All around it was a nice plant...very easy to grow and lovely structure. The buds were also incredibly beautiful and potent, with that "warm and fuzzy" high, which I liked very much. Unfortunately, I didn't like the taste very much....and for me the taste is very important (I prefer smoking pure). Also, there were a few bananas at the end of flowering....not tragic...probably my fault. That being said, I got a feeling that bubble hash from the Ane would be outa this world, so there's a chance that it'll make a return to my box some day.

Sorry about that, Link. I didn't mean to come off the wrong way - good to know you're dialed in already and that this was just a little bump. I get what you're saying about the seed vs clone thing, too. I use clones, but I want to get back to starting with fresh seeds every run. IMHO plants from seed are usually more vigorous.

Too bad you're restricted space-wise...

Your fine dude, I wasn't trying to come off as pissy either. So far my list of keepers is short: Mad Kush, Kolossus, Shackzilla. As you can see, I got the indicas covered with the first two. Now I need one more strain with "keeper" status and a energizing sativa high. I'm hoping to find this in the C99 freebee from Esko. Now If I find a C99 keeper, I'll have no choice but start keeping clones again

Here's whats happening with the remaining 5 plants. The 2 Candy Kush are now on the left, and looking a bit pale and hungry for magnesium. For others growing this strain: The Candy Kush needs plenty of magnesium during veg and so far, during beginning of flowering too. I've upped the Useless formula dose to 100% strength, in the hopes that they green up a bit again. The Choco Rains are looking well fed, one might even have gotten a bit overfed (doing the claw). They started flowering pretty fast, considering they've been under 12/12 for only 2.5 weeks

gallery_6501_4372_131677.jpg

All the plants got taken outa the tent and got a hydrogen-peroxide shower as a preventative measure against powdery mildew (which the got once). They also got a trim of the lower branching...which there wasn't much of on the Candy Kush, because most of the lowest branches stretched to the top.

The 2 Candy Kush (no flash, true colors). Looking slender and pale...like a modern-day super model

gallery_6501_4372_1629.jpg

gallery_6501_4372_29329.jpg

What is this? Not even two weeks of actual flowering and already some frost!

gallery_6501_4372_31254.jpg

gallery_6501_4372_3759.jpg

The Chocolate Rain phenos.

gallery_6501_4372_67987.jpg

gallery_6501_4372_29271.jpg

gallery_6501_4372_9553.jpg

This one is similar to the above pheno, but shorter and more compact, with tighter spacing of nodes. I like the structure of this one the best.

gallery_6501_4372_70771.jpg

gallery_6501_4372_85865.jpg

The third pheno has a different, more open, structure. It had the biggest stretch, leaving big gaps between nodes. Its also the only plant doing the claw.

gallery_6501_4372_49222.jpg

gallery_6501_4372_6947.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks, Link!!

exactly what I needed...

Keep up the great work showing progress of these.

You mentioned that you may have overfed but then said you upped Useless formula to %100???

I am either stoned or confused. LOL!

I really want to get the nutes right on mine.

Yeah no that is confusing (like saying "yeah no"). The plants still screamed for more nitrogen at 3/4th strength and especially the Candy Kush have been going pale. This is probably due to the combo of them being in small pots and at the same time stretching like crazy. So I upped the formula to full strength, not taking into consideration that one of the Choco Rains is doing the eagle claw. If I was a careful grower, I would have given this pheno a weaker dose. But I'm not careful, I'm lazy and don't like mixing more than one batch of lemonade. We'll see in a few days if it was too much for em...

• Like 1

Candy Kush at end of 3 weeks of 12/12

gallery_6501_4372_44599.jpg

gallery_6501_4372_38039.jpg

gallery_6501_4372_25438.jpg

gallery_6501_4372_72650.jpg

gallery_6501_4372_18672.jpg

Chocolate Rain. They took the full strength feeding well. As a matter of fact, the one CR that did the "claw" and I thought was overfed, is now looking most deficient of the bunch. I'm thinking the "claw" might be genetic...especially since I read about a pheno that does this a while back.

gallery_6501_4372_128125.jpg

gallery_6501_4372_112574.jpg

gallery_6501_4372_64459.jpg

• Like 2

Forgot to mention that all the girls finally got bigger shoes. Its late I know, the transplant should have happened weeks ago, but better late than never. While transplanting, I got a good smell of the Chocos and noticed that the claw pheno (front right in the above pic) has an amazingly tasty berry smell to it. Never smelled anything this "sweet/berry" before. This must be the Blueberry side of the Cocoa Kush coming through? The others have more of the Chocolate smell, its hard to describe, but reminds me of the smells I got from the Chocolate Mix from Eskobar.

30 Days of 12/12. The two Candy Kush on the left, Chocolate Rain in the center and right.

gallery_6501_4372_72494.jpg

Candy Kush

gallery_6501_4372_48287.jpg

Chocolate Rain

gallery_6501_4372_4723.jpg

• Like 1

Candy Kush, Chocolate Rain look great with their hula hoops :tu

Thanks buddy

Was bored yesterday, so here's a shot of the CK outa the tent. It gives ya an idea of how tall they are, it also shows that they're going yellow. This does not bother me though, they got 4-5 weeks left and are now focused on producing buds. To do this, they have enough organic Batmix soil to feed on, other than that, they're only getting water with Atami Bloom Stimulator (love that stuff). There are nice colas in the making, but there is only so much a 400w HPS can do, so I'm seriously considering putting up the big tent, to finish them pow-wow-style with a 600w vertical bare bulb.

gallery_6501_4372_24379.jpg

gallery_6501_4372_15751.jpg

• Like 1