•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

bluebach

Advice needed for small first time grow indoors without lights

...in fact I read it more than once) that you should not let the top soil dry out. Bullshit!

Ignore any other information you got from the same source.

Plants can take overwatering on occasion, when they're older. For example, if you go away for a few days, you can water them, and leave some water in a tray under the pots. They'll have it drawn down quickly. But I've killed many a seedling by thinking they looked thirsty.

• Like 1

Ignore any other information you got from the same source.

Plants can take overwatering on occasion, when they're older. For example, if you go away for a few days, you can water them, and leave some water in a tray under the pots. They'll have it drawn down quickly. But I've killed many a seedling by thinking they looked thirsty.

Thanks.

I was wondering what I was going to do when I go to my mum's in a bit. I usually stay there about 3-4 days. This seems like a good method.

On another note. Lanky Siss has grown about another half metre but her leaves are still the same size. I still haven't watered her, so that shows how much I must have overwatered her before. The stem is solid and the leaves are very healthy though. It's a weird one not having any experience with this.

I am hoping that she will find her feet and just get a bit of grow on. I think she will need watering tomorrow, but I am uncertain whether to really fill the pot as the drainage and evaporation doesn't seem to be there. Also, she is all stem and no leaf, so maybe 0.5L would be ok as a starting point. I really have no idea about this. I'm happy she is still alive and doing well though, even if she does look a bit weird.

As for Big siss, well she is getting a little too big for her boots, or the box actually. I have had to turn her diagonally so the leaves don't touch the sides, but tomorrow they will have reached that far again. I really do not know what to do. Do I chop of the ends of the leaves (that doesn't seem like a good idea), do I just let them touch and bend them up to the light if they bend down, do I construct some kind of ScroG for training? None of these seem ideal. This plant is growing wide not tall and that is the problem

I also have a very very minor case of the yellowing on the tips of the new leaves. I won't nute again for a good while now. It is healthy otherwise. I'm keeping an eye on it, and it doesn't seem to be gettting worse or out of hand.

I bought a new 35W 2700k red sprectrum bulb today for when she goes into flowering. It is just big enough to fit in the box. I also bought a 30w red spectrum too. So that bumps the wattage up to 95w in total plus a good more lumens.

Also the smell is getting silly and she hasn't even begun pre-flowering yet. Whoever said this strain doesn't smell in flowering was also talking a whole load of bullshit. I have bought some ONA blocks to put in the box, so we will see how that goes.

If NL is the least stinky of the strains, I wouldn't like to try the others. It's funny, but I think someone else is growing around where I live. The honk only lasted a day or two, but it was mighty. I think they might have been curing or something. I don't know, but I would get a bloody good waft of it every now and again. Then nothing. Strange. But the smell is actually starting to bother me now. I love the smell of MJ don't get me wrong, but living with it 24 hours is too damn much. I suppose I need to get to work on that carbon scrubber. Let's see if these ONA blocks are as good as people say.

I should also get this cab fitted with the mylar. The plant is so dense I wonder how she gets any light at all. In the beginning with the seedlings it didn't matter coz the light was going directly onto them, but now the reflection will make a big difference with the top leaves getting most the light.

This has been a really interesting experience. I'm quite taken aback by the different trajectories the plants have taken once put into different environments. I don't expect anything from lanky siss other than for her to keep living, but big siss is going to take some looking after. What should I do, now the fan leaves are starting to touch the sides of the cab?

How big is the cab? Are the leaves hitting the sides because it's branching? Make sure there's good air circulation.

Do you have sufficient drain holes in the pot? If so, water until water comes out the holes, then let it completely drain until it stops dripping. Otherwise you'll have to play it by ear.

How big is the cab? Are the leaves hitting the sides because it's branching? Make sure there's good air circulation. Do you have sufficient drain holes in the pot? If so, water until water comes out the holes, then let it completely drain until it stops dripping. Otherwise you'll have to play it by ear.

Hi. The cab is 28 inches by 1 foot wide and deep.

Not sure what you mean by 'branching' exactly. It is more the fan leaves, that are hitting the sides at the moment - the actual branches off the stem have yet to hit it, if that is what you mean. You can have a look at the new photos, that might help.

The pot has good drainage. I just watered her again - she seems to be thirsty every three days. I got 10-20 percent run off equally around the pot. I put in a bit less than 1ML per L of Plant Magic Old Timers Bloom. The plant seems healthy enough so I didn't want to over nute.

The circulation in the cab is good and my temps and humidity are all within a good stable range.

I'm keeping going with the 24 hours light cycle. I'm still debating whether to drop to 20/4, but I'm not even sure when I should start doing that. She seems to have preflowered now, I think, so I guess it won't be much longer. I put in a 35w 2700k bulb in the centre keeping the 30w 6400k bulbs at the side. I could have more reflectivity in the cab, but sod that now, I'll do it next time.

I've been researching Lollipopping or wtf it's called. I'm looking for some kind of technique to help with the restricted space. I took off about 5 or 6 leaves a couple of days ago and about 10 today, just from the bottom where she isn't getting any light. And of course the long fan leaves that just would not fit at all because of their extended length.

That should increase the airflow a bit without causing too much damage. I dried one out and smoked it and it actually got me quite stoned! Incredible. I don't smoke anymore maybe that is why, but still, I wasn't expecting that. Not a heavy stone obviously but more than placebo.

Here's some more photos. The first were taken a couple of days ago, and the rest were taken a few hours ago.

SAM 1463

SAM 1464

SAM 1467

SAM 1470

SAM 1473

SAM 1478

SAM 1481

SAM 1486

SAM 1493

SAM 1495

SAM 1496

SAM 1498

I had ever so slight yellowing on the very tip of one or two leaves. A couple of very small isolated brown spots, and even a little bit of 'rust' on the edges of another. But that is it. I'm not going to worry about it. There's not much else I can do now.

I decided to 'train' the branches up as them come. It's tempting to lop off the main cola as it is the tallest by far and someone said it contains growth inhibitor so cutting it makes the other branches grow more. But it's an Auto and most say they really don't like that. We'll see. I still may do that depending. The thing is now not so much the width of the cab, but the height.

I think it will just fit width wise, but if she really spurts when she goes into flowering, I may have my most serious problem yet. Thankfully it is an NL strain, so fingers crossed. If that happens it leaves me no choice but to cut the main central cola.

Btw, Little Siss is still doing her jack and the beanstalk impression. How the hell she can stand up by herself being so skinny is a mystery. She seems to be very healthy though and her leaves are even growing a bit. I'll post some pics next update.

Btw, she's wilting a bit in the photos but that is just before I watered her. She soon picks up. I'm training and tucking whatever fan leaf obscures a smaller budding leaf/flower and so far that seems to be working. It's not a lot of effort but I think it makes a bit of a difference.

I've decided not to change the 24 hour cycle and see how that goes..

Hopefully it will keep the vertical size down with more light equaling less growth (longwise).

I've changed to

1 x 30w blue

1 x 30w red

1 x 35w red

so it's dominant in the red spectrum for flowering.

I've decided some LST is essential to not just get the most out of this grow, but for it to happen at all. I have only a few inches growth left before it hits the lights.

This isn't going to work unless I do something drastic. As much as I would just like to let the plant grow, I'm going to have to chance it. I've decided against chopping the top off - that just seems like a bad idea for an autoflower.

SAM 1505

SAM 1503

SAM 1511

I have an inch or two on top of that to play with coz the plant is on a riser, but still, I think I might give it a go.

Had to bite the bullet.

I waited a bit after watering to tie down the main cola. I decided against topping with it being an autoflower.

There were a couple of other colas ready to take the place.

SAM 1513

SAM 1515

SAM 1518

And just for giggles, this is 'Little Siss'

SAM 1521

No harm done. I've got a good few extra inches already. I'm trying to leave on as many fan leaves as I can. I understand that they are the plant's receptors for new energy and the storers of that energy once acquired. I also found out that photons can travel through matter to a certain extent.

This makes sense of course. I do a bit of 3D modeling and this would be called 'Sub Surface Scattering'. It's why your hand appears red when you hold it against a bright light..

I've seen people doing grows in much less space than this (here at opengrow), and I have the benefit of a nice little stout NL.

The ONA block is really good btw, neutralizing most of the smell. I have an air freshener outside the escape vent of the cab and that helps to mask. But still, every now and again, you get a waft of that unmistakable aroma.

The pot I planted in was too high. But I thought at the time I would just get them going in the cab and put them outside on the window sill. I can see now what a stupid idea that was. Cannabis needs a good supply of constant sunlight, artificial or real. If it doesn't get it, well, just look at 'Little Siss'.

Still, you let me make my mistakes and learn by myself, and you didn't shout me down or call me an asshole. Another reason why I love Sannie's place. I hope I'm not annoying you all too much with my updates - it's just my little way of giving something back. Maybe someone will find it useful.

Well, it's a few hours into my new method. And I don't know what to say. I am quite taken aback.

I guess it could be summed up by saying 'you can't keep a good girl down'.

Or rather, a good cola.

Man, she just knew she was the leader of the pack and wasn't going to take any shit off any body.

She's dominating the scene, even though she has the poorest of the light.

I'll post some photos in a bit.

I'm really surprised how the positive phototropism has manifested. This is all the proof you need.

The other little ladies in the middle are thinking it's their day now, and they are perking their heads up proud.

This is a great method. I am so glad I didn't top her now. Maybe with a bigger plant or more plants, it might have made sense. But it would feel like vandalism. I've grown a real bond with this plant and she knows it. I know that to become a really great grower or breeder you must be impartial and somewhat terse in your dealings. But she just keeps on going, whatever I throw at her.

Roping her down has really evened the playing field.

Pics to come...

I've noticed that while that main cola has gravitated back to the light, that a few leaves are drooping.

It will need watering in a bit, but I don't think it is that. I'm not going to water again till it's time.

I guess it is just stress. It is worse where the cola has been tied down, but it is affecting the rest of the plant a bit too.

SAM 1524

SAM 1525

SAM 1527

SAM 1532

Got to take the rough with the smooth, I'll see how she gets on in the next couple of days. I'll give her a drink later today. Maybe as she gets bigger she will need it sooner. I've put my finger into the soil, it is still damp, so I won't water until it's time. Now I know her 'schedule' I can give her a drink before she starts to wilt. Strange this wilting thing is happening already though. Ah well, I guess there must be some kind of trade off when you do this kind of thing. Interesting.

I could tie her down a bit further and bring the rest of the plant up to the light - that would be ideal - but for now, I am just letting her have her way. I don't want to stress her too much. Hopefully she will pick up in a bit, especially after watering, and I'll bring her back into line. 'Time for the pimp hand' to quote Dr. Autoflower. :-)

Well, I don't know what to do. It's nearly time for her watering.

The wilting has got worse.

I think she needs a drink. The soil is just about ready now.

New territory.

I forgot to put out the water last night. So this morning's will have to do.

In fact, I'm going to give her a drink now. She looks like she could use it.

it looks like it needed water. whatever watering schedule and volume you are on remember to adjust it for your plants needs.

thenug-G6QOGatrZw.jpg

i wold take her out of the heat while she regains her vigor

• Like 1

i wold take her out of the heat while she regains her vigor

Thank you for the advice. She recovered quite well, when I got up the next day she was doing well. I tend to lower her a bit from the lights when I sleep, just in case there is a spurt (or I sleep really late). It might seem silly to you, but I am just learning how these things grow. Then again, I imagine that not just different strains grow differently, but different plants. Alles Klar!

I was impressed with how quickly the main cola that I tied down 'righted' itself, plust the others coming up to speed. Shame I underwatered, but you live and learn.

I tied her down again a bit today (the main cola, as it was still wanting to dominate). Now there is a nice even canopy. I need to find a name for this type of growing that I am experimenting with. Probably a hundred people have done it before anyway, but I don't know - Squashing, Cramming? Being a Twatting? :-)

She's pretty healthy considering I've not looked after her as best I could. But she has been forgiving and bounces back. I still have that ever so slight yellowing on the very end of the tips - it's not bad as you can see from the photos and I'm just trying to understand what that might be. I got some of those paper pH strips to test the soil yesterday, but I can't seem to get them to work. Oh well, I'm going to buy a digital pH meter next week. Not had any luck on that front at all. I've given up on the other one I was supposed to get.

The Police knocked on my door the other morning and I thought 'Fuck! That was quick! Better they catch me now than when I have a SoG set up in my bath tub'. But it wasn't for me, someone had their van broken into. But it made me think. I'm surprised how well the ONA block works. But still, it is far from perfect. I've got to say adding those Glade air fresheners make a bit of difference though, even if it is masking. For a quid, it just confuses things a bit.

I'm feeling my enthusiasm wane with the whole affair and thinking 'all this shit for one or two plants?'. But it's been a good learning experience. I guess the learning curve is hardest at the start, like with most things.

Here's a few more photos:

SAM 1534

SAM 1537

SAM 1538

SAM 1541

And let's not forget little siss. She's got some lovely little flowers coming now.

SAM 1542

I need to do a bit of pruning in the box coz the main cola that I tied down is now wedged against the door - not good. But on the whole she seems happy and fairly healthy considering what she's going through. I have to say, I am very impressed with this strain so far. I don't know what I'm talking about and have no experience to back it up, but the fact she just keeps thriving impresses me. Good ol' NL.

Next grow is going to be a lot more organised.

how did your plant recover then?

Pretty good! eh eh!

Thanks a lot for the advice.

It looks like she is ready to be watered again from the recent photos. What do you think?

the kind of bending you are doing can be known as "Super Cropping" or "Low Stress Training" (LST)

With your main cola, if you sort of pinch the main stem around the height of of your lower tops. very softly rub and pinch the stem and this will cause it to soften and kind of spit its sides, it will then sit and a sort of 90 degreee angle and for a big knot at the brake and it will start growing again. This will give lower branches a brst to take off. I wouldn't really do this to far into flowering though.

LST is general bending and tying really, you can use things like bolts on a rope to weigh branches down

• Like 1

The soil seems dry enough. I just gave her straight water last time. I think I'm going to give her a little dose of that Old Timer's Bloom for the NPK.

It's common sense really, but I'm stupid, and I never realised it before, but as a plant gets bigger with bigger leaves/root system etc. it is going to need more watering at quicker and quicker intervals. Her needs seem to be speeding up logarithmically, with each watering being needed slightly earlier in time.

I have some water I boiled up this morning and left out - 12 hours now - I usually like to leave it at least 24 hours, but this is going to have to do. I think it is even possible to add some of the Bio Silicon too again, but I'll hold off on that for now. Maybe she can have that next watering. I've really underplayed it with the nutes, and no regrets with that so far.

the kind of bending you are doing can be known as "Super Cropping" or "Low Stress Training" (LST)

With your main cola, if you sort of pinch the main stem around the height of of your lower tops. very softly rub and pinch the stem and this will cause it to soften and kind of spit its sides, it will then sit and a sort of 90 degreee angle and for a big knot at the brake and it will start growing again. This will give lower branches a brst to take off. I wouldn't really do this to far into flowering though.

LST is general bending and tying really, you can use things like bolts on a rope to weigh branches down

Ah, I've been studying super cropping. The idea with the bolts seems like a good idea.

I'm going to water her in another hour or two after I've researched the nutes thing a bit more - I'm pretty sure she is ready for another dose, but I just want to make sure. I noticed humidity has gone down as well in the cab - I don't know if that might be a sign.

It's really interesting what you say about the main cola, coz though I didn't actually pinch it, I did kind of tie it down like that, and it did kind of respond the way you described. I'll take another photo to show you what I mean.

I really had to dive in the deep end with this, and though a lot of people say that autos don't like LST, I don't think this plant has any problems with it. There's no way this 'grow' would have worked without at least trying this. I can't go wrong now. This was the only way. Topping or Fimming or wtf its called would have been very risky for an inexperienced grower like me.

Let me take those close ups.

These don't really do it justice to what I'm talking about. Maybe I'll post some more when I take her out to water her. I noticed that in the photos you can really tell she needs it, but looking at her in the box she seems ok. That is strange. Maybe it is the angle or something.

The main cola that we were talking about is in the very centre in focus - this is with her being tied down a bit again, maybe that is all anyone neeeds to know.

Even in the hour or two in the cab that I tied her down with her pressed against the door, she has righted herself again a bit.

SAM 1546

SAM 1548

SAM 1550

I'm going to give her that feed now. I'm glad that I have erred on the side of caution so far.

I can't believe that the hardest thing has been watering the little bugger. It's been invaluable you giving me advice and help with this.

I know what to call this method: SCRamminG - as in 'get the fuck out of here!'

:-)

yor plant might have also had o much nitrogen looking at how thin the new leaves are compared to old.flowers = bloom.

yor plant might have also had o much nitrogen looking at how thin the new leaves are compared to old.flowers = bloom.

Sorry, I don't understand. Do you mean it has too much bloom or not enough? I only gave here one half the dose so far of Old Timers Bloom before, then a clean watering.

I take it you mean it has too much. Maybe I got it wrong.

Anyway, too late now, I just watered her again and gave her a very small amount of bloom - like half the proper dosage according to the bottle.

SAM 1551

SAM 1553

SAM 1557

Being so inexperienced, I don't know what I can do other than err on the side of caution. The only alternative would have been to give no nutes at all.

I know I could have given much more if I had listened to the manufacturers (maybe this is good for a proper grow but not one plant, so I forgive them). But I am giving less than what even experienced growers recommend.

On the whole she looks ok though. I had a little bit of brown/rust spotting on one of the leaves and along its edges. But thankful to say that was pretty isolated. It came on one other leaf later - but that is it.

i meant your plant to me looks like it may have could do with some bloom nutrients

i meant your plant to me looks like it may have could do with some bloom nutrients

Sorry, still don't understand, whether that is too much or too little.

Deed is done now anyway.

If I understand you correctly you mean it could do with some more bloom nutes.

If so, hopefully I gave her enough. I can always give a bit more next watering.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!