•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

smilestyle

Concentrate question; What´s the best way to make AHO?

QWISO is the only way, soaking for smoking is filthy shit.

I like to fill 1 mason jar with ground bud, fill with 99% isopropyl alcohol until just above the herb, put on the lid, give it a hard shake for 1.5 minutes (and repeat once again for a second soaking/shaking) strain it through a coffee filter onto large pyrex containers to a maximum depth of 1" and heat with cloning mats to 85F, just over isopropyl alcohol's boiling point of 82.5F. There is no substitute for 99% isopropyl as the solvent, none of that 70% hobo-gin rubbing alcohol shit or Everclear lol.

Do this outside, no ifs ands or buts. You would need industrial exhaust to remove 1 litre of 99%'s fumes from a typical 1st floor living space (1150sqf)and when it lights on fire it's invisible so it's pretty scary…yes I've seen it happen in person.

You'll be pleased with that if you start with killer nug. If you want translucent none-butane honey, you'll need some lab equipment, some sulphuric acid, baking soda and a breathing apparatus. It is by far the grand daddy of all extracts imho.

Peace

RM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I usually only do about 30-35 seconds on the shake on qwiso personally, including the time it takes to pour. Do you not get loads of unwanted plant matter in a 1.5 min shake? I usually use trim I guess so maybe that's why a longer wash doesn't really help, I tried a few times going about a full minute and got more of a black-greenish tar when a shorter wash usually returns a nice gold wax.

I do mine like Rev, and maybe everyone, only I strain thru a piece of 200 lpi silk screen (from dry sift tumbler) into another quart jar and then thru a coffee filter. It keeps the time to a minimum in soak :wave:

yeah i do it revs way. made it for the first time few days ago. read and watched many videos on soaking times. i do the longer soak strictrly because this is what rick simpson does. every video ive seen with golden color was more for people just wanting to get high as oppose to healing properties

• Like 1

iso is only slightly more poisonous Blowsterke, you shouldn't try to demonize anything over "consumable" alcohol…it may be slightly less poisonous but consumable ruins more lives.

Regardless, in small amounts after evaporating your "consumable" alcohol leaves impurities that iso doesn't.

Just a heads up, non-poisonous substances do not have an LD50 rating.

Notice the inhalation rating of iso.

Iso

3600 mg/kg (oral, mouse)

12800 mg/kg (dermal, rabbit)

LC50 = 53000 mg/m3(inhalation, mouse)

ethanol

LD50 5628 mg kg−1 (oral, rat)

• Like 2

I do mine pretty much like everyone else, but I do freeze the material for a few days before processing. I have also used 91% ISO as that is what is locally available here, I have not located any 99% regionally. I am also shaking for only 30 seconds or so, no longer unless you want a much darker, less "pure" products. Good luck to you and please be saf when doing any extractions.

I do mine pretty much like everyone else, but I do freeze the material for a few days before processing. I have also used 91% ISO as that is what is locally available here, I have not located any 99% regionally. I am also shaking for only 30 seconds or so, no longer unless you want a much darker, less "pure" products. Good luck to you and please be saf when doing any extractions.

I never got anything but gold with a 1.5 minute wash, If you let it stand for that long, maybe but not during a vigorous shaking :)

• Like 1

"70% hobo gin" rofl. :)

I've used iso. many times. The end product is always clean and tasty.

For pure honey, pack some nicely dried good material (something you'd want to smoke) in a tube with a paper filter lashed to the bottom. Leave a couple of inches empty at the top. Fill that quickly once with 99% iso. and let it drain through. It will only take seconds. Save material for further extraction.

Then look the fuck out, because it doesn't get much better than that; budder, shmudder.

This how i do it.

gallery_20039_15037_83817.jpg

End product.

Sort soak.

gallery_20039_14976_67391.jpg

Not a soak but pass through of 1 min total.

gallery_1018_3097_17652.jpg

AHO is great when proper made.

But there are so Mayne style.

This here was for dabbing.

Just make sure you work safe!!!

And make sure to purge right.

Let us know how it goes.

Vaporizing Cat.

• Like 1

Rev, double check your data. You may have been looking at denatured ethanol. For ethyl alcohol: ORL-RAT LD50: 7060 mg/kg

My point was…alcohol is poison regardless. Some more than others but they all kill at some point :) I have a few friends in the dirt because of drinking and I'm sure many here know someone with the same fate.

Ironically, both alcohol's have a lower LD50 than THC itself so it's pretty redundant to nit-pick.

For the special people reading this, the higher the number in mg, the less poisonous it is :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_lethal_dose

The one for n-butane is hilarious especially when there are people all over the internet saying that a bad purge is "dangerous"….again no one ever looked past their noses at data.

This is 658 GRAMS per cubic meter btw, not sure how many thousand cans of butane that is but it's safe to say that if you can dab it without it blowing up in your face, you're not in the least bit of danger.

ORL-RAT LD50: N.A. IHL-RAT LC50: 658 gm/m3/4H SKN-RBT LD50: N.A

RM

• Like 3

http://www.cannabis-...t&id=275&lng=en

Cannabis oil: What is the best and healthiest way to produce cannabis oil?

by Dr Arno Hazekamp

What is Cannabis oil?

Concentrated cannabis extracts, also known as Cannabis oils because of their sticky and viscous appearance, are increasingly mentioned by self-medicating patients as a cure for cancer. In general, preparation methods for Cannabis oil are relatively simple and do not require particular instruments. The purpose of the extraction, often followed by a solvent evaporation step, is to make cannabinoids and other beneficial components such as terpenes available in a highly concentrated form. Cannabis oil is usually taken orally, by ingesting a small number of drops several times a day. Please find here some information on the question whether cannabis can cure cancer.

How is Cannabis oil prepared?

Various methods have been described for the preparation of Cannabis oil. The most popular method, as described by former (skin)cancer patient Rick Simpson from Canada, suggests the use of naphtha or petroleum ether as a solvent for the extraction. Following the success of Simpson oil, a number of related recipes have sprung up, emphasizing small but significant changes to the original recipe. Examples include focusing on safer solvents such as ethanol, or preventing exposure to organic solvents altogether, by

What is naphtha or petroleum-ether?

In general, petroleum-ether and naphtha refer to very similar products, even though different names may be used around the world; e.g. in some countries naphtha is equivalent to diesel or kerosene fuel. Both solvents are a mixture of petroleum hydrocarbons (PHCs), often available in a wide range of qualities. All the solvent components should be considered harmful and flammable, and some of them, such as hexane and benzene, may be neurotoxic. Both naphtha and petroleum-ether are considered potential cancer hazards according to their manufacturers. Moreover, products sold as naphtha may contain added impurities (e.g. Coleman® fuel) which may have harmful properties of their own.

Are residual solvents a health risk?

Although Cannabis oils are usually concentrated by evaporating the solvents that were used for extraction, this does not completely eliminate residual solvents. As a result of sample viscosity, the more concentrated an extract becomes, the more difficult it will be to remove the residual solvent from it. In such a case, applying more heat will increase solvent evaporation, but simultaneously more beneficial components (such as cannabinoids or terpenes) may be lost as well. The use of non-toxic solvents should therefore always be advised, so that potential residues are not harmful to health.

What is the best and healthiest way to prepare Cannabis oil?

Recently, an analytical study was performed to compare several generally used preparation methods on the basis of cannabinoids, terpenes, and residual solvent components. Solvents tested included ethanol, naphtha, petroleum-ether, and olive oil. Based on this study, the following recommendations can be made:

• As extraction solvents, ethanol and olive oil were shown to perform the best, extracting the full range of terpenes and cannabinoids present in cannabis plant material very efficiently. Additionally these solvents are safe for consumption.
  • Unfortunately, pure ethanol also extracts large amounts of chlorophyll from cannabis material, which will give the final extract a distinct green, and often unpleasant, taste. Removing chlorophyll by filtering the ethanol extract over activated charcoal was found to be effective, but it also removed a large proportion of cannabinoids and terpenes, and is therefore not advised. Additionally, in many countries consumption-grade ethanol is an expensive solvent, as a result of added tax on alcohol products.
  • Of the solvents tested, this leaves olive oil as the most optimal choice for preparation of cannabis oil for self-medication. Olive oil is cheap, not flammable or toxic, and the oil needs to be heated up only to 100°C (by placing a glass jar containing the product in boiling water for 1-2 hours) so no overheating of the oil can occur. After cooling down and filtering the oil it is immediately ready for consumption. As a trade-off, however, olive oil extract cannot be concentrated by evaporation, which means patients will need to consume a larger volume of it in order to get the same therapeutic results.
  • Preheating of cannabis to ‘activate’ (decarboxylate) the cannabinoids may result in loss of terpenes as a result of evaporation. If the full range of terpenes is desired in the final Cannabis oil, dried buds and leaves can be used directly for extraction, without preheating.

About the author

Dr Arno Hazekamp is a phytochemical researcher at the Department of Plant Metabolomics of Leiden University, The Netherlands. He also coordinates the R&D program at Bedrocan BV.

• Like 1

What about a vacuum purge for alchohol ?

So you're saying the less pure it is, the better? Makes absolute no sense Blow.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but you have to be able to back up what you're copy and pasting to make me believe that you understand this topic.

At the very root of so many things on this planet, there is no denying or argument for less pure being better than more pure.

When butane or ISO is cooked daftly, you could literally pick it up with a spoon and eat it with no consequence.

The LD50 quotes were there for a reason. That is the toxicity in relation to the amount of substance vs body weight. These numbers do not lie and are not opinionated.

This says it all right here.

• Unfortunately, pure ethanol also extracts large amounts of chlorophyll from cannabis material, which will give the final extract a distinct green, and often unpleasant, taste. Removing chlorophyll by filtering the ethanol extract over activated charcoal was found to be effective, but it also removed a large proportion of cannabinoids and terpenes, and is therefore not advised. Additionally, in many countries consumption-grade ethanol is an expensive solvent, as a result of added tax on alcohol products.

I just learned today that drinking from the garden hose is dangerous so...thinking back to how much I guzzled out of them when I was a kid...I'm doomed.

Peace

RM

• Like 1

There is a huge difference between LD50 and LC50 (oral consumption vs vapor concentration). Your opinion also fails to account for evaporation. Please get your facts from a source more reliable than a wiki.

Guest BrockSamson

What's popular nowadays is the BHO, and depending on the purity you want it's relatively quick and simple.

This site has everything you need to know about making oil / cannabis extracts.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/ (lol yea it is just that, skunk pharm research . com)

You can get an extractor and some butane from amazon like so

91uxNRqlzbL._SL1500_.jpg51vth99MN4L.jpg

Then it's pretty simple.

1.) You pack the glass tube with buds or what not

2.) Attach a coffee filter to the wide end (the with the larger circumference)

3.) You poor (blast) the bho through the hole at the tip and collect the run off into a pyrex plate

4.) Put the pyrex plate on a HOT PLATE (I can't stress this enough, NO OPEN FLAMRES)

5.) Once all the butane evaporates It's good to go

6.) You have to option now to increase the potency by doing a vacuum purge (which is more easily explained on you tube or that website)

Guest BrockSamson

lol yea sorry I just now realized that the named of the thread is AHO not BHO

• Like 1

I just thought I would add my two cents on olive oil. It works very well if you are going to go the edible route. There is something to be said for not using inherently poisonous or explosive solvents to make something one plans to ingest, but at the same time these same solvents, although more dangerous, do tend to create the most concentrated end products which is important to some people.

One thing to keep in mind is that the LD50 is not the only thing one should be looking at as far as toxicity goes. Something that is carcinogenic could have a very high LD50 yet could end up costing your life from a single microscopic dose if it just happens to damage the right section of DNA in one of your cells. Things like heavy metals are far more dangerous than other more easily eliminated toxins that have the exact same LD50 since they are cumulative poisons that will continue to damage the person that ingested them for decades afterwards. The LD50 is an important number but its not a universal measure of how dangerous a substance is.

Anyway, I'm not trashing any specific method, just pointing out they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

• Like 1

A question for you pros...

I normally just make my dry ice hash with my trim, but I have a couple ounces of really nice busted up bud from my seed plants. I thought this might be a nice treat to do something different. I am not on board with butane, so AHO it is.

After the 1 minute(ish) shake, you put it on some kind of filter to drain. Do you press it at all to get out the alcohol or just take what drains through? Just curious if pressing out the last of the alcohol would degrade the product.

Thanks all!

Dude