•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

So, after only a few months on opengrow I have decided to quit growing weed and start growing a soil food web instead. It seems as though I have been focusing my attention in the wrong area lately.

I've decided to just focus my attention on the soil instead of the plant.

All of the gear from the shop is in the new mix. No bottles anymore and I have stopped checking the ph. So far so good as I've only been adding tapwater and powdered mycos.

• Like 9

You won't regret the switch trust me, reacting to a plants needs you'll always be behind, build a good soil and you're always ahead.

• Like 3

Thanks for the encouragement, Thay. I can already see a difference since they've been repotted. Only tap water that's been bubbled for 24 hours and they look fine so far.

The last thing I added from a bottle was a wee bit of calmag awhile back. They didn't like it and after reading up on nutrient uptake sequencing in plants I now see why. Should have been concerned with silicon first...

I realize now that the food soil web is the most important thing to worry about in the beginning. Same as outdoors.

I am also doing a small experiment with 6 clones...

I stumbled upon some info regarding composting and a plant based catalyst. I made my own with dandelion leaves and flowers, ginger root, turmeric root, some fan leaves from a few of the girls, and some cantaloupe rind. I chopped it all up and bubbled it with some air stones, strained it and then watered 6of the clones for the next run. The rest got straight tap.

Let's see what happens...

smart decision ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, I think I'm finally fed up with having issues during my grow and then trying to figure out what I am doing wrong when it's already too late.

Everything I have been reading lately talks about the importance of beneficial microbial activity and how it is directly related to the uptake of nutrients by the plant.

I guess I have been conditioned to just add nutrients from a bottle.

I mean, I knew about mycos for a while but never really realized just how important they are

keep us posted on your progress. and the best of success to you.

I am in hydro and continue thinking about dirt and remember the challenges I had around that, chasing the symptoms and keeping plants alive was some real work. Once I switched to hydro, it just got so much easier for me to get consistency. I guess I should try to carve time to study up on all that dirt knowledge first before I make that plunge again, til then I guess its bottles of nutes and roots in a bath for me.

• Like 4

good for you MM :wave:

Indoors.. I started with hydro and found it easy to maintain (once dialed in) and the rapid growth cycle sold me.

Outdoors... Mother Natures soil mix does me well and saves $$ on electricity with a nice after taste when smoking.

so best of luck on your decision 23.gif

@starin - I know how you feel. I learned how to grow herb in dro and have always fallen back on it as a technique. You can cultivate mycos in dro, but I don't believe you can do it with synthetic nutes due to the salts.

@robo - you know, I basically got tired of trying to get my rig dialed in as far as nutrients go. Maybe I have been smoking too much weed lately, but I was looking out the window and saying to myself that all of these plants out there are all growing by themselves. Mofos can't read and I bet you they couldn't tell you what nitrogen or phosphorus is...yet they are booming.

Just saying...

Have either of you guys heard of grozine? It's an online magazine. Some cool articles in there for us hydro fanatics.

I also picked up a book called Teaming With Microbes, by Jeff Lowenfels. Interesting stuff.

• Like 1

Hell yeah Mad!

Didnt even see this when I replied to your PM.

You got that right! Feed your soil right and it will feed your plant right.

You know, that is the only book I have read since college and I don't think I read may there.

Big plants in big pots is the way to do Organics, thats one of my few issues. I don't have room/time in my set up to run big girls with my set up. Well I could, but I would seriously cut down on the number of grows per year. Throw those bitches in 20 gal smart pots and dont look back.

Dude

• Like 2

He's got a new book called Teaming With Nutrients

Check my gallery...I was thinking 200gal smarties!!!

• Like 1

Seems to me that you'd only have to do one run/yr with babies that big...

Yeah, I know how you feel dude... having lots of space is pretty cool. That's why I made the move.

Did you ever read The Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan? In that book he talks about polyface farms which is a complete organic farm. This guy farms grass. It's an interesting concept. Focus is placed on the overall health and biodiversity of the soil food web and it's a synergistic approach that yields amazing results.

I do outdoor grows with soil myco in mind.

- Almost no digging at all - only enough to put the small seedling rootball in place.

Surrounding weeds are cut and left to cover the soil to trap moisture and rot down.

- Only feed added is FBB powder and worm compost juice, diluted.

Usually the plants thrive, unless it really floods :)

I'm growing some in the same soil 3 years running now so we'll see if they still thrive ;)

• Like 2

<p>man, believe me or not, I never touched a bottle of nutrient in my life...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>''Yeah, I think I'm finally fed up with having issues during my grow and then trying to figure out what I am doing wrong when it's already too late.<br />

<br />

Everything I have been reading lately talks about the importance of beneficial microbial activity and how it is directly related to the uptake of nutrients by the plant.<br />

<br />

I guess I have been conditioned to just add nutrients from a bottle.<br />

<br />

I mean, I knew about mycos for a while but never really realized just how important they are''</p>

<p> </p>

<p>man it really is simple and less of a puzzle than you think. just gotta put what's needed in your mix at the begining (myco) and the life instal itself and does the rest...really ounce you get the right mix to start everything is set.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>myco are necessary.</p>

<p>I love dolomtic lime.</p>

<p>sea compost's  nice(got a nice kind mixed with worm casting full of little worm in it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>and as for the fertalizer to put in your soil, you have so many options, not pricy either..</p>

<p>the best in my opinion, would be to have a basic mix with everything in it. not to strong(fertalizer in it) so you have a little options to gauge without having real bad or fatal incident.....  then if you see your ladies want more you top fed and give tea's. never went wrong like that for me. all the times it went wrong was cause I was overdoing/overthinking..</p>

<p> </p>

<p>organic good lifeliving soilpower!! :D</p>

<div style="left: -1000px; top: 297.97px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; position: absolute;"> </div>

holyshit, wtf happen there :P

Here is a Hygrozyme link. http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I head about this from Rev Maynard and Robo. My plants needed something for the roots. My pants are doing well no, I will know more when I see roots at harvest

1 bale promix hp

1 lg bag coco

1 lg bag organic compost

1 lg bag ewc

1 lg bag vermifire potting soil

1 8oz bag roots organic oregonism xl (endo/ecto)

Mad - how dense is that soil? May want to add some aeration. The coco helps loosen it up some I am sure, but it will likely need something, particularly over time.

Any organic amendments in there yet?

What kind/brand of compost and EWC? I can not stress how important these are. They bring the humus to your soil (life). You wont break the bank because its organic, but its worth it to buy the best or better yet taking the time to make the best. I know you know how to make black gold.....

When it comes to Myco, I swear by one product. BioAg Vam Endo. Nothing BioAg makes is cheap, but this is one of the few organic products I am willing to pay for. With everything they make, a little goes a long way so it ends up cheaper than the big name brands at the end of the day with results that blow them away. The proof is in the pudding. Their Humic powder and liquid Fulvic are also in a whole different league from any other product on the market. These guys get it and care enough to make the products right without the hype. If you can find them at a retail outfit, they are actually usually cheaper than their website. Either way, its worth it.

For a bacteria product like Sannie's bacto, kelp4less has a product that is giving me great results for a great price.

Dude

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice, dude. I know you'll be watching to see how this turns out for me. It was reading your posts and others that led me to give it a go. Having been taught to grow herb using bottled nutrients I got trained to think one way and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Now I realize that my time in the Caribbean was basically a training session and all of the organic stuff I learned is definitely doable indoors it just takes some tlc. Gotta get away from my instant gratification way of treating it.

So to answer your question the mix is quite fluffy and light. Excellent drainage which is something I needed to improve. That's why I am using the promixHP now instead of the BX. Lighter for sure...

Natural Choice garden compost 42.5L bag contains forest humus, fir bark, ewc, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, soybean meal,fish meal, fish bone meal, seaweed extract, aloe Vera, yucca, oyster shell and dolomite lime also endo n ecto mycos.

Wiggle worm ewc 30lb bag

Botanicare cocogro coir fiber 50L bag

Vermifire potting soil 42.5L bag (1.6N 1P .6K) also contains mycos

3.8L bale promix

I made it nice and moist before transplanting everything and have only been adding water that's been bubbled for at least a day. No ph adjustment since repotting.

Pics to follow soon as I am pretty busy. I'm quite sure everyone is probably sick of my excessive photo dumps anyway...

Oh yeah one more thing...roots organics oregonism xl endo/ecto. 8oz bag

• Like 1

Do a search on Subcools super soil. Like him or not, his soil recipe is the best. I'm growing the best I've ever done just watering only. In getting fantastic results every time. Per individual plant characteristics. Good luck!

Tiger

subcool soil is too hot in my opinion

I don't have the same capabilities to make that black gold like we used to do down on the farm...one great thing about the tropics is that the rate of decomposition is much greater. Once we are able to get a farm up here all the soil problems will be over. There are some pics of the stuff we make down there in my gallery. It's an add water only mix as everything a plant needs from start to finish is in there.

The only thing I know about subcool is that his beans are rather expensive when compared to sannies, I have been a hydro guy since way back, it's just that now I am starting to see things differently. Having to buy dirt sucks when you're used to making your own and I liked not having to buy nutrients once I made the switch from hydro.

Too bad I can't keep goats and rabbits and chickens inside the city limits...