•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sounds like good compost mad!

Wiggle worm EWC is generally crap. So see if you can find some local. Or start your own bins.

Subcools soil is what I started with. While organic it's pretty basic and not high in life. I prefer some different ingredients, more life and more diversity plus teas.

Dude

• Like 1

Okay.

I've taken your advice, Dude, and found a local source of ewc. Cheaper than the damn grow shop by half! F*ckers.

I made up a new batch of soil and it's sitting right now. I turn it every couple of days. I used the new ewc and also added some shrimp compost and seaweed compost.

I'm trying to figure out how to build one of those vortex brewers that shoeless uses, and I will be getting a bunch of worms from the place that sells the castings so I can start vermicomposting my own out back. I'm tired of paying for stuff that basically comes free with a little ingenuity.

My new question is this - Has anyone ever heard of using old charcoal from the filters as biochar in their mix?

• Like 1

I think its pretty common for people to use spent carbon filter material in their mixes as biochar, though I have not done it myself I know I read about some people doing it on another forum.

Mad - sorry been a busy guy lately!

Looking at your soil mix it looks very solid. Glad you found some local EWC too!

I was buying mine for 50 cents/lb here locally. It was good quality as I know what he feeds them, but not amazing. I have started making my own now. The bins are pumping out 5 gallon buckets full of black EWC faster than I can keep up! Once you get your bin going happy the populations really explode. I am going to have to stock up on material over the summer just to feed these bastards through the winter.

Back to the soil - what you have created is a good base. While your compost sounds nice and diverse (excellent) the quantities of the amendments are probably limited considering this a commercial operation. To get through flower, these will need some extra nutrients.

Since you are jumping into flower here shortly, I would recommend doing this with Top dress (now) and nutrient/botanical teas (through the grow). Don't underestimate compost teas either, leave the nutrients out of these brews and watch the results.

For the next run, you should ammend up your soil now and let the nutrients cook so it is ready to go for more of a water only run. I really dive into this on the bottom of the first page of my big thread. My typical amendments are as follows in no particular order with my faves underlined: alfalfa meal, kelp meal, flaxseed meal, blood meal, cottonseed meal, organic fish meal, organic fish bone meal, neem and karanja seed meal, crustacean meal, guanos, chicken poo, feather meal, soft rock phosphate.

All of these are also suitable as top dress except for alfalfa which can be a little hot but goes great in botanical teas. When I top dress, I also mix up with EWC to help the break down cycle.

Dude

• Like 3

Oh yeah - forgot to mention it but the rock based products I suggest in my thread are also highly recommended. Glacial rock dust isn't required, but great if you can find a 50lb sack local. Otherwise hit up a local countertop place and get free granite dust (granite sludge I should say). Also throw in some diversity. Azomite is a bagged product that covers a lot of bases. Green sand is good but only if recycling or you wont see the benefits. These products don't go away over time, or do so very slowly, so if you are recycling you don't need to add them back in. These don't need to "cook" so you can add them whenever.

Dude

• Like 2

Thanks for the input, Dude. I appreciate you stopping by these pitiful threads of mine and sprucing them up!

I was worried at first about the shrimp and seaweed compost, as I've never done it like this before.

We always used to make our own soil down in PR and everything was local and easy to find and basically free. The red clay down there sucks for drainage, but after amending the hell out of it turns into some mineral rich stuff. Guess that's why we never really had problems with micronutrient defs.

Besides, all of the granite dust from my workshop would basically coat the gardens and wash into the soil every day when it rained.

I'm hoping to eventually have another mix waiting on the side "cooking" so I can just rotate the new crop in without any delays next time. Didn't get the worms yet, I'm trying to figure out where to put 'em. I guess out back somewhere with the veggies? Should be plenty of worm food coming out of that garden this year!

Anyway - back to the original question I posed earlier -

This is not a dig to anyone so don't take it the wrong way, but I don't need "I heard, or I read, or some guy said..."

Has anyone EVER USED SPENT CHARCOAL FROM THEIR CAN FILTER AS BIOCHAR IN THEIR SOIL???

I had to get a new one as the old stuff was spent and not doing its job, so there's plenty of old carbon looking for a home...

anyone?

FWIW the Pro Mix HP with Mycco is on clearance at Lowes for $7.99 for 2 CU. A week ago, this was 15.98 a bag. seems like a good deal....

Is this a good base material? I bought a few bags as it seemed like a good discount.

They also have some organic fertizlier that was also on clearance. Going to try some with the veggies.

What else would I need besides the ProMix, to get started with some organix?

• Like 1

Hey, Starin - what's up, man?

I switched to the HP from the BX I used last time because they claim it's harder for a dumdum to overwater it (yeah, I can be a dumdum sometimes...)

I added all of the stuff I described above.

Only difference with the new batch is a switch from wiggle worm ewc to a locally sourced brand and the addition of the shrimp and seaweed compost. Oh yeah - no vermifire this time. (what can I say, that bag was free!)

Correct me if I'm wrong someone, but promix is basically a "soilless" medium. You gotta put the life in there via quality compost, ewc, and all of the little "goodies" that feed the food soil web.

Down in PR we would sometimes go up on the side of the mountain to grab forest humus - super rich and black and so soft it was almost velvety. But underneath that stuff was always a thick layer of white mycelia and that's how I knew it was good. Almost prehistoric in some cases as the land hadn't been disturbed by the hand of man for many many years.

I wish I had access to it here, and I am loathe to collect leaf matter from my block. People spray stuff all over their yards with no regard for runoff or decontamination. When we move out to the country (hopefully next year) promix will be obsolete for me, but in answer to your question I would add as much humus as possible and then get those microbes stirred up with some tea.

That's basically what I did and forgive me for rambling today but I'm blazed on some serious wax in preparation for the free Stephen Marley concert tonight.

Jah Bless!

• Like 1

FWIW the Pro Mix HP with Mycco is on clearance at Lowes for $7.99 for 2 CU. A week ago, this was 15.98 a bag. seems like a good deal....

Is this a good base material? I bought a few bags as it seemed like a good discount.

They also have some organic fertizlier that was also on clearance. Going to try some with the veggies.

What else would I need besides the ProMix, to get started with some organix?

Fuck yeah thats a good deal! This is probably one of the best bases for any kind of peat based growing, organic or bottles. Its is some light stuff for sure.

Dude

• Like 2

Mad - that tropical hummus sounds amazing, def the right stuff. Too bad its floating on an island far away.

Yes - promix is "soil less". Pretty much just peat moss and perlite.

Yeah man your mix sounds all good, you did it right by sourcing good humus sources (EWC and GOOD compost). Just try to get some amendments to start top dressing and making feed teas.

A quick way to cheat is to run down to Lowes and pick up bags of Epsoma Plant Tone or Garden Tone. These are fairly close in composition and both make great top dress. Basically its several of the ingredients I mentioned, thrown in a bag. Usually I wouldn't go this route because I buy the big bags of raw amendments so I dont get taxed with a "service charge". This is on exception, they sell it for about $1/lb which ain't bad at all even for my cheap ass and I am always at Lowes or HD picking something up (you know my ass isnt at the grow store!). So this works if I don't have any custom blended top mix sitting around.

You going to run those 5 gallons this run or stepping up again before flower? I will give you a good idea of how much top dress to use based on your pot size. With your soil being this light in nutrients, we need to get you dressed up asap as these things take some time to break down.

Dude

• Like 1

Thanks man.

Yeah, things are a little tight right now, as I have some financial responsibilities that supercede the upgrade. We're going with the 5gals just because I have 'em and I know they work.

The girls we pulled from them last run were delicious and had a decent yield for all the abuse they took. Mites, pm, light leaks...jeez it's a miracle I even pulled anything decent from that last round!

Anyway, I got something at the local store where I found the ewc.

Great little gem that I actually found by accident and they have all that stuff in bulk. I didn't want to go the whole bulk route just yet as I have a tendency to overdo things, and like I said it's just tight right now. It's similar to espoma I guess...looks the same, anyhow.

So, this stuff is called Organically Done and it's derived from: alfalfa meal, bone char, feather meal, fishbone meal, fishmeal, greensand, humic acids, sea kelp, collodial rock phosphate, sulphate of potash, worm castings...whew. fuckin a there's a lot of stuff in there.

It says: potting mix - mix at 5% blend. I threw two 10oz solo cup's worth in the mix that's sitting right now. Like I said - I don't want to overdo anything at this stage. They all look so good.

I figure a tblsp. to topdress each 5 gal bucket (I just gave the tallest Chocolate Rain a tblsp cause she's turning a pale shade of green now) I am wondering how to keep the top of the soil moist, as they are drying out a lot quicker now that I've added more fans for circulation. Some sort of mulch I guess.

By god, I will get this sucker dialed in one of these days!

Thanks for everything. I know I keep saying it, but it really does help.

Alright so my questions in PM were already over here.

Sounds like you found some good shit. Nice diverse mix to amend your future soil with at a rate of 2-4 cups per cubic ft (7-8 gallons). Only do this if you have time for it to cook, watered in with EWC teas, two months minimum. The next batch....

The little bit you threw in that batch of soil isn't enough to worry about. Go ahead and start planting into that stuff. It's a great organic base. Then once they are established you can top dress with this product. 1/2 to 1 cup per 5 gallon usually does the trick for me depending on how much that strain likes.

Sound like you are top dressing your current 5 gallon girls. 1tbsp won't do much. Throw in about a half cup and see what that does. This is assuming this is a heavy granulated slow release product like the epsoma.

My favorite mulch is Cana leaves and trimmings. I always have plenty on hand! Pluck em and drop em on top. You will be amazed how fast they break down in a good organic grow full of life (one flowering cycle).

I also like comfrey and mint. Both will grow rampant in your back yard year after year. Giving multiple harvest through the season.

Any dynamic accumulator plants you can go and forage makes great mulch and for botanical teas.

I also add EWC when I top dress. Helps kick it in. If you use a lot like I do, you get a little EWC mud slurry on top of the lighter soil when you water that helps keep them from drying out.

I hit it hard in my PM but get those EWC teas brewing with life and watch this shit explode.

Dude

• Like 2

And I wasn't happy with my quality last run. It happens. I had myself primed for it as I knew the light abuse, temperatures, humidity, etc were not ideal. It was my first summer run attempt with this set up. I battled conditions and pulled a good run. Just not that near perfection I strive for and hold my expectations to. Once the run was done, I quit battling and made some actual set up changes for this run that seem to be paying off. Mostly better canopy height distance and routing some central air into the room. As always, trying to tune the soil better each run.

Moral of the story, as long as your next grow is better than your last....you are doing it right. Its not about the quality of the last grow. Its about learning from the last grow. And turning that experience into making that next one the best one. At least if your mind works like mine...

Dude

• Like 1

Heya MM :)

lol, going organic is like getting religion, you'll never see the world quite the same way again, next thing ya know you'll be moving the girls outside to take advantage of the organic light :)

If you're gonna use EWC you oughta make your own so ya know what's in 'em, I know a guy who feeds his human hair from his dad's barbershop, not something i want in my soil.

here's the vid that decided me on getting a worm bin, a few good chuckles in it as well.

• Like 1

What's up, Balzy??? How's the summer treating you??

I know you're up there blazin some of the finest...

Thanks for the link, btw. I decided to start doing the worm thing because I am tired of buying shit, man. So much brainwashing and dogma in the community. I can't take it. Sitting in my veggie garden and looking at how BOOMING it is - lush, vibrant, healthy and pest/problem free. Not one ph check. I hardly friggin water it...If I can get my indoor plants to grow like that I will be a happy man.

So. Back to the basics, throw away the bottles and pens and blah blah blah. Just gonna try to recreate the same soil outside in my garden and keep it alive in big containers for a few months at a clip.

That's the new plan and honestly, we have been growing organic, outdoors (fruits and veggies) for years. I was brought up growing herb hydroponically out of a bottle and therefore knew nothing else. Never really had the chance to try my hand at outdoor grows much - one or two here and there in pots with nutes. I came back up here with the same old mentality regarding herb for some weird reason. Now I realize that my karma is beginning to run over my dogma (thanks, Bobbi!)

That is a good thing for me.

Free worm food at the local farmer's market!!! ALL I CAN HAUL AWAY FOR FREE. They literally have Dumpsters full of local produce that get chucked weekly. Now that's the SHIT!

I'll be sure to add the occasional dog hair or two just to be sure...

Update for those who gas -

SourD clones for the next patient run are getting repotted in the "new" (for me) mix. I threw one guinea pig in there the other day and it's fine. All of the gear from the shop is still looking good. I will be amending the 5gal pots per advice from others with a "quick fix" blend of organic stuff as well as bene microbes and some of that damn tea.

I will be building one of those vortex jammies like my man shoe and see what happens.

All in, fellas.

• Like 2

Hair actually contains an incredible amount of nitrogen by weight, same with nail clippings, it takes awhile to break down or even to be composted in the worm bin, but small amounts are a nice addition in my opinion. I also second Organic's comment regarding the espoma, I am a fan of this stuff as well for the cost.

I really like how noticeable the benefits of organic style are, composting/worming yourself reduces your garbage output tremendously. I literally had to downgrade all of my trash can sizes in my house, my city trash can size (saved money there too, cheaper monthly for smaller can), my recycling bin is even the smallest one I can get now, and I still can't fill an entire bag of garbage each week, 100% because of how much of my waste can be reused in some way. I see my neighbors with 50 gallon cans who can't even close the lid and its just sad, eat healthier and use your waste, seems like a no-brainer but to steal a line from all of the "great" leaders around here "i'm not a scientist". Colorado is much better with this than other places I have lived, (KS, TX) but still more can be done here even.

I put a few bell pepper scraps in my worm bin the other day, looked in there today and had hundreds of little pepper sprouts coming up which I thought was kinda cool, I'm sure their sprouting will help them break down faster too as seeds seem to be the last thing to break down in my bins.

- Thay

• Like 1

Hey thay, i totally agree with your Point!

My girlfriend and me changed our Way of living and eating and so on completley a while ago..and what can i say? Its a New feeling we got from that. We also try Not to waste any of the 'sources of Energy' which are even in the packages of some foods. Also before my girlfriend met me she had kind of bad eyes..now she smokes weed and eats healthy stuff and has to buy New glasses every year cause her eyes gettin better and better till she dont need no glasses anymore! She Kind of didnt believe me till she experienced that stuff i allways Talk by herself.

I think all people should come back to the Roots and learn again how to benefit from nature and make nature benefit from them instead of fuckin her up so damn badly!

I made the experience that 'only' talking to people doesnt make them change their mind but weed does! At least on some of them..After some time gettin into the theme of cannabis people get it by themself that something goes really wrong in our time and we have to change our relationship to our Source of Origin...and to our neighbours aswell.

Good vibes to all!

sweating it out in Shangri-La...man, I am out of shape!

Here's the new batch ready to go -

gallery_9799_4540_5699407.png

Hoping to get some growth like this -

gallery_9799_4540_1649772.png

SourD ready to rock (Chocolate Rain #4 in the back - she is the tallest of them all)

gallery_9799_4540_8544687.png

Keep it green, fellas!

:tu

• Like 2

Lookn real good brother!!

That CR is gonna be a monster when its all said and done.

• Like 1

heya MM :)

summer's been great so far, keeping busy and high in equal measures :)

a bit of advice if you're going to be mixing your own soil, get yourself a cement mixer, that way you always have at least one hand free to drink beer :) , you can usually pick 'em up second hand cheap.

awesome score on the veggies from the farm market, your worms should multiply fast on that sort of grub.

reason I don't like the idea of feeding human hair, or any human, dog, or cat waste, is that a worm bin hopefully never gets hot enough to kill pathogens, not that it's likely that anything evil will survive, but why take unnecessary risks, I suppose one could hot compost everything for a week or two before feeding it to the worm bin, still a crapshoot though.

lol, why are posts on organics always longer? :rofl

here's wishin' y'all a Fantabulous summer

y'all stay safe

BalzOut

• Like 2

Hello @mad and all OGR's :wave:

i have done some runs trew the years and i think i have used almost all shit that can be used :showoff:

i have got pests fungi all desizes that u can have ive been threw all of them :withstupid:

so fatrasta soil mix is simple and sweet :wave:

cover your area with plastic foil so the soil is heated up from the sun put in a water hose there and flood that place flood it real real well like you flush it over that plant area i use maybe 10 000 liter to do this in 170 m2

keep covered for 3 months water aigain when dried have rocks on the plastic on the ends and sides

all shit will brake loose under there you se what i mean later bros and sissyahs

i do this end of sept oct let it be there with rocks on the side so it can not lift this plastic the earth will do the rest for you by itself this is the first step of preparation if you have used the soil before :icecream:

then work that soil take away the plastic and cut all greeen inder there let it rotten were you cut it work the soil some days later

and let it rest a little and work it aigain all is in there that the plants need now without one single adative :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

then 2 months before you want to plant outside i use to put in bone meal some times i do me self and some bought and i turn the earth around then i week before planting blue stone organic protection from fungi coco slabs i brake em up and perlihte and clay pellets and i dont put this in the bottom everywere so it will be fluffy and some aktivozini for root build up organic clay rocks food so i only use water mostly rain water 0.0 ec 6.5 ph exacly what ladies like in soil so no ph down needed :yummy:

when the plants is close to flower i put in the blood meal and some bat guano and chicken shit i do tee from it with my meters in there some times water with this and i like spraying my ladies im a spray freek :yummy:

so thats what i use to do and ive been growing in my soil that you all seen more the 14 runs so you calculate the years !

be cool all! :wave:

What's up K?? I'm trying to get me some of those HUGE chocolate rain nugs I've been seeing on OG!

Think I'll let 'em veg another week (just because I can...)

Been scouring the 'hood for nettles n comfrey n such. It's everywhere. Empty lots all over the place.

@Balzy - Gotta have a free hand for the cold ones, eh? A cement mixer is a bit overboard for a little guy like me, man. I just zen out and take lots of breaks - hence the barrage of posts from me today. Been hittin' the last of the chem a bit too hard tho...

@Dude - SHHHHHH! Don't let everyone know! (just kidding)

@ Rasta - Thanks for dropping by. I have seen the pics of your grows and they are amazing. You and many others here at OG are on a whole different level than I am. My goal is to have a beautiful greenhouse one day, very similar to the one in your pics.

Keep up the good work, my friend as you are an inspiration to many whether they say it or not. Yes, the haters, too.

Back to work, people! More potting to be done

hahaha

Been almost a week since the last post here. Guess it's time for an update on the reboot:

gallery_9799_4473_3065866.png

Been cleaning, organizing and a little renovating for the past month or so...

Gonna hang the rest of the new hoods and button up the ventilation today. Prolly flip 'em tonight!

Damn, those Silverfields look good. I'm frothing

• Like 1