•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

YoVato

T5 vs MH lamps

During the vegetative period do the MH lamps perform significantly better than the T5's. I am amazed at how fast some peeps plants progress using MH lamps. I currently have a Hydrofarm 4 foot 6 tube setup,however, when I compare my grows at same period vs others ,there is a significant difference. Mine are tiny in comparison.

Your thoughts are always appreciated

Vato

I just discovered how dim the Hydrofarm two-foot T5 "HO" fixtures and lamps are. I have the white as well as the hammered gray models and they both seem to have underpowered ballasts as well as having the Hydrofarm lamps which are noticably dimmer than GE, I've heard. My four-tuber draws 74W as I recall and a competive ballast is rated at 84W. I recall an amazon review that found the same type of underpowered ballasts in the four foot series.

Side note: the T5HO two-foot series is really an underpowered lamp if you look at the lumens, which only apply if you are operating at temperatures hotter than what you want your plants to have.

Do MH lamps work better? Well, I have a 1000W MH in my veg room that I used last winter instead of my 512W of four foot T8 6500K highbay lighting. I couldn't say either light grew green plants any better than the other.

High out vs low output. Not much else to say other than T5 use stops at the hobbyist level.

By all means if you can have an MH over t5 then you're using the better option.

RM

• Like 1

Well- I would say I am a hobbyist like most- definitely not what I do to earn my living. The reason for buying the HydroFarm T5 was to veg and avoid the heat. Where I live near the swamps, our temps average 93 Fahrenheit for 4 months + .. Would an MH lamp be justified not only in plant life but extra cooling required

I love my t5 only for the simple fact its cheaper to run than MH 1, 2 if you put a t5 in a small tent or even a large one the heat will be more difficult to handle than if you used a mh with a cooled hood i dont kno where the no heat on t5 comes from must be free standing in a room if its in a tent the radiant heat from the built in ballast will fry all plants, as far as a t5 being for hobbist if you have a 6 -8 bulp 4ft in length it will perfom just as well you have to look at pros and cons but for personal use id say veg with t5 better for the enviroment a veggin plant is a useless plant why watse electricity

• Like 1

If you use T5 fixtures for veg then use Actinic T5 Bulbs all the way. normal T5 bulbs cant even compare to Actinic bulbs :P .

If you're more than a hobbyist pot snob, you'd have enough seedlings to put under a 400W or larger MH.

I used to put 12 tiny plants under a 1000W MH. Yes, the plants were happy campers, but it was overkill. As soon as the first true leaves appeared, under the 1000 watter they'd go. I only had one light to my name, and this was pre-multi watt digital ballast days. (Yes kids, we suffered terribly way back in, what was it? 2013?)

If you're in a non-legal country or state and have limitations due to a less-than-ideal grow space, HO fluoros might make sense.

I like hid's more than t5's, the plant's get more light and they just get more energy overall to do their thing.

Are you comparing the same wattages? I have run MH at 400, but never seen T5's with that power. Are they making MH bulbs at comparable lower levels?

Interesting if you are comparing apples and apples...

How long you veg your seedlings matters. Any of the sativas I can only veg for 2 or 3 weeks. 80 watts of cfl can keep several seedling happy for that long. It might take a week longer than if they were under 400 watt MH .

I love my T5 for seedlings, keeps them low and tight with loads of nodes, its a Lightwave 4ft 8 tube (432w).

I always allow 4-5 weeks veg so they are mature before flowering, showing preflowers.

I start them under an ordinary fluoro till they are 1.5inch - 2 inch tall, that way later on the first true leaves don't droop down on to the soil, making it hard to water etc. Then they are under the T5 till they get to the 6th or 7th node and pinch out the top. This is great for 2 things...

1- You should get a preflower on that top node as its mature now (not with all though, especially kush types), telling you the sex.

2- With most strains the bottom growth will come up to give you a candelabra look, giving loads of cloning material, before putting in to flower. `Last year I had to butcher the 7 Twisted Fruit fems I got that were pinched out at the 7th node. That gave me 7 x 14 cuts.......good cuts! And 100% clones...which were shared and grown.

So I love my T5

i second cloneman ... real pros go for both (in different stages).

seedlings are happy with the high output of a MH-lighiting setup,

but usually it can burn them easily ... T5 for seedlings and MH for

young plants is what a real pro does ;) but everybody with dogmas

in growing is far away from even becoming an expert, imo.

it also always comes down to the place and setup of the grow

in question ... there just is no dogma-solution to growing ;)

it also always comes down to the place and setup of the grow

in question ... there just is no dogma-solution to growing ;)

That's it in a nutshell.

I'm speaking just about the veg stage. T5's are the best for the delicate phases but you want horsepower for cell production...no one can argue against that.

RM

My seedlings grew FAST under their 1000W, no doubt. Keep the light about 0.5 m above them and they won't fry.

My problem is that the "big light" is in the attic, so I can't put plants under them until about October 1, or temps would not be controllable. Of course, this is not a problem for pros with a proper grow situation, or amateurs with a proper grow situation.

I wouldve agreed with most up til bout a month ago, swithed the flouros for 2 150 watt hps...Is not mh but mh wpuld perform as well as hps imo...The hps are blowing the t5s away as far as growth. Plants in veg are huge compared to where theyd normally be, ive actially sread out my pots in veg the plants are so damn big n bushy. I grow for myself, but I slao want the most for my buck.. Its not even fair to use led or t5 in comparisons to hids. We can argue pros n cons all day but bottom line, hids outperform any other light source. Perios. Minus the fuckin sun of course....

Maybe saying "pro's use" can be open to criticism, but Yovato never specified things like grow size or space constraints.

So to keep the fodder from getting regurgitated, use t5's if that's all you can use, MH is the more desirable option if you can meet some basic requirements like heat exchange and height.

RM

I wouldve agreed with most up til bout a month ago, swithed the flouros for 2 150 watt hps...Is not mh but mh wpuld perform as well as hps imo...The hps are blowing the t5s away as far as growth. Plants in veg are huge compared to where theyd normally be, ive actially sread out my pots in veg the plants are so damn big n bushy. I grow for myself, but I slao want the most for my buck.. Its not even fair to use led or t5 in comparisons to hids. We can argue pros n cons all day but bottom line, hids outperform any other light source. Perios. Minus the fuckin sun of course....

You're seeing the advantage of light intensity, even if the spectrum isn't geared towards veg, horsepower counts in straight lines and that's what growing a plant artificially needs to be. Straight line, no pussying around.

(lol, 'expert' debunked ... check *joking*)

oi, 150w i use as well, indi :)

with very nice results indeed.

(outta likes again, haha)

i use these after a week of T5 since showing first green.

makes more sense to me this way (in my setup at least).

anyhoo,

many ways to rome ... and the city is always the same ;)

T5s serve their purpose.

-very low heat

-the hardware is very compact

-cheap

I love a T5 me, but they have some massive disadvantages:

-no AOE (area of effect) and thusly...

-no "depth penetration" as well

T5s are the safest way to germ and pre-veg. But after a few couple of weeks tho they completely loose their impact.

t5,s have their place in a grow situation yes indeed but like all who have already said it '' you just cant beat hid's for weight producing/hard density and just straight up fuckin' gettin' shit done. but with that said t5's are great for early veg and keepin' the power bill down for the hobby growers out there. so if I wanted to grow just to keep a little smoke around t5's would get the job done. but if I were a heavy smoker or had to supply more than myself then let the hids get to poppin' and knock down some serious weight. serious weight = hid's personal smoke early or pre veg = t5's. hell I just said what everyone else has already said just worded in my backwards ass redneck kinda way!! lol! ha! ha! its just like your underwear, all up to ya! peace and green, brothers and sisters, AMW

pinky said it again, T5 is best for the first weeks of veg ;) (we had cleared this up)

after that you go MH / HPS and bam, you have used the lighting setup like

an intelligent grower that understood the intended range of possibliities of

his setup.

using only T5 or HPS only is inefficient ... i read about ignorant growers

that start their beans under 600w (that is pure waste and not necessary).

both have their range of intended use, they are not intended to replace each

other. the different lights are for different stages of growing, it is that easy ;)

who uses T5 with plants that are bigger then 15-20cm and even gets problems

with depth penetration? only the people who did not understand the purpose of

this lighting setup in the first place, imo.

;) (we had cleared this up)

gggggg... sorry mum!

uhh? ... nota problem?

oi, you need to lighten up ... i was agreeing with ya, pinky ;)

btw,

your input is always 'worthwhile' for many peepz reading along.

so, please keep it up! :showoff:

had to put this out there. I grow in a shed all year long with no air conditioning just proper air cooled hoods with lower passive intakes and run 1000 waters for veg and flower . the highest temps ever get in flower or veg rooms with 1000 watters with air cooled hoods is 84 lights on. lights for veg come on at 7pm and cut off at 1pm the following day for 18 on 6 off. temps are only this high for a couple hours during veg only. flower rooms with 1000 watt air cooled hoods lights on at 7pm and turn off at 7am for 12/12 running lights off during the day and lights on at night during cooler temps. I forgot to mention I live in deep south north Carolina with 95f temps during summer months and grow all year long. now my yields are slightly better during cooler fall and winter months due to more idealistic conditions but have to run a dehumidifier to keep humidty in check late to mid flower. so heat is definitely manageable with hids and they outyield the shit outta t5s. never let heat stop ya from running a proper grow setup. with air cooled hoods and lower passive intakes it can be done. proofs in da pudding boys and girls c 4 yourself. no a/c just over sized ventilation and air cooled hoods. peace and fire away with questions if needed,, AMW

1000 watt hps/mh air cooled with 6 inch 440 cfm fan and matching carbon scrubber.

big trees!

bonsai mother[anesthesia] seedlings from indican's seed stock. these are selene f2's and a few of my crosses as well.

anesthesia taken out for a pic.

100 1962

100 1073

100 1051

100 1070

100 0988

11/24/2013

100 1027

100 1058

100 1051

100 1047

100 1012