•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Good morning everyone,

I am a total novice and have a quick question about repotting. When should I repot? Currently, I have 7 seedlings (4 Soliloqueen, & 3 Durgan Chrital x Blue Hammer) that have sprouted and are in small 8 0z. Styrofoam cups. When should I repot them? Should i repot them a second time before harvest?

I have 3-gallon smart pots to use when I repot but only have 4. Additionally, I only have room for 4 plants but I am not limited vertically but am limited horizontally. I am also limited by my lighting with a 150w hps and two 68w CFL's. Additionally, I am growing in coco. I am not sure if this information is relevant but thougt I would include it.

Any suggestions or tips would be great!

Thank you all and have a wonderful afternoon,

Sharkshock27

There is a sweet spot for transplanting where it is certainly easier to do. Too early and you have no roots holding the soil together, too late and it suffers in the small pot. I try to transplant a day after watering as well, dry enough to mold together yet not so dry that the soil crumbles when you remove it from its pot. After growing long enough you will start to be able to determine what is going on under the plant based on what is going on above ground. Go buy some cheap seeds at home depot and practice up-potting with them if you have anywhere outside for a few small throw away veggie seedlings. Will help you at least get the feel for how it works. 8oz cups are small so I wouldn't leave them in there very long.

Your other option with throw-away cups is to just cut down the side with some scissors and unwrap the styrofoam from the soil/root mass and then plant that.

• Like 1

How big are they now ? I would let them get 3 or 4 sets of leaves started then pot up. You could put 2 in each smart pot & cull the males later. Keep veging for a while after the transplant. Next time use16 oz solo cups.

• Like 1

How big are they now ? I would let them get 3 or 4 sets of leaves started then pot up. You could put 2 in each smart pot & cull the males later. Keep veging for a while after the transplant. Next time use16 oz solo cups.

They are small seedlings right now. On thier first sets of leaves.

welcome aboard,Sharkshock :wave: ...DCxBH sounds great...good luck with yours!!

i´m always transplant mine earlyer than needed(~10 days old)....

gallery_1237_692_58865.jpg

...but it´s no harm to do so,imo ;)

• Like 1

Guest BrockSamson

I'll secon thay's comment. Pretty much once you have significant growth above the soil (fan leaves) then it's about time to up put. If you leave them in there long enough you'll notice that the roots have over taken the soil (the upper layer is more compacted and held together by roots).

For your size of solo cups I'd transplant once you see growth similar to what you see below. (The majority of the soil should be held together by the roots when you take them out of the solo cups)

gallery_8402_4060_5402455.jpggallery_8402_4060_1721986.jpg

• Like 1

when cotyledons start to go yellow and the stem makes a "striptease", i repot.

... the plants will tell ya ;)

• Like 3

Your vertical growht will come to a stall when your plant is too big for it container..thats a good sign for me to tell me pot up...i start in 4" pots for 2-3 weeks depending on strain..transplant to 11 litre pots...veg for 2 more weeks and then flower..works a treat for me..

when cotyledons start to go yellow and the stem makes a "striptease", i repot.

... the plants will tell ya ;)

This has kind of kept me off potting mine up so far

SAM 1306

SAM 1303

This is exactly 10 days in after sprouting, from where I am counting.

But the Cotyledons are showing no signs of withering (well one of them was messed up to start with so hard to judge), but they haven't gone yellow or anything.

I'm going to give them another couple of days and then go for it.

Thanks for the advice about the watering and leaving them a day. That makes sense. Too wet and it will fall apart and too dry, well that is not good either. I am going to cut into the far edges of the pot with a knife and just very carefully ease it out after making an impression with the same pot into the new soil/pot.

Can anyone tell me how firm this soil needs to be? I think I might have compacted the soil too much in my first pots and maybe it was a bit too dense. I guess, not too light and airy and not too dense either. Which narrows it down. :-)

I will then give them a good watering and think about first nutes in a day or two after that, once they settle a bit.

I love this forum so much. You aren't overloaded with loads of bullshit, but the important questions seem to be answered by people that know what they are doing.

Thanks everyone.

Can you see roots through the drain holes at the bottom of your pots? If so, transplant. if not, and you think there SHOULD be roots at the bottom of the pot, pop the whole plant, soil and all, out of the pot and look at the roots.

If that isn't possible because the roots have not rooted out the pot, you don't need to transplant yet.

Can you see roots through the drain holes at the bottom of your pots? If so, transplant. if not, and you think there SHOULD be roots at the bottom of the pot, pop the whole plant, soil and all, out of the pot and look at the roots.

If that isn't possible because the roots have not rooted out the pot, you don't need to transplant yet.

This is another kind of yardstick for me, though I never did it before with weed plants.

I have a few little holes at the bottom of my pot, if it was getting that testy then a few would show up, so far nothing, but in a few days I am sure there will be some growth.

I'm just trying to find that sweet spot. I don't think it has been reached yet.

Hell, after 2 weeks there must be some rooting to get to where they are (you seen the pics).

I actually wonder about the wisdom of repotting so early - why not give it another week or two and repot after week 3?

I am sure that it is based in sound science and experience. I won't question it, but I'm not going to freak out over a few days either.

I'll have them repotted by week two. I'm going to push it to that 14 day limit like I said. Then we will see how they go.

The only reasons for repotting are practise and handling.

In older grow literature you won´t find much about it. Ideal is potting into the pot, it will flower out. Rootgrowth is never disturbed and in nature plants are rarely seen to move to a better place, when they get big.

smile

Transplanting is an aquired skill,.. meaning, you won't ever get good at it unless you practice it... the same goes for turning cuttings into clones.

Saxo's method can be done, but it requires some skill & experience to transplant plants that don't have a full rootball yet.

Any damage done to the roots at this time will definitely effect the plants growth for a bit, at least until the roots heal themselves and become established... breaking any main roots can have a much worse effect on the plant. Cannabis plants are very resilient and can withstand quite a bit of abuse.. but they usually can't handle a severe beating... try to be as gentle as you can when re-potting.

I use Santero's method quite a bit. By the time the cotyledons yellow and dry up the plant has a good enough root system to sustain its own life... this is a good time to re-pot because the roots are actively growing and repotting now won't stunt any root growth. This method also requires a certain amount of skill & experience.

The optimal time to re-pot is when the roots look like a whitish web holding all of the medium together. Waiting a little longer may require 'breaking up' or 'loosening' the rootball some to get the roots to grow outward in their new container. This is by far the best method for those whom are unfamiliar with repotting plants.

Mixing a tsp of B1 in a gallon of water and watering the plant(s) with it approximately 15-20 minutes before you transplant will make you look like a pro, resulting in very little, if any wilt and B1 will get the roots growing right away. B1 helps plants by promoting rapid new roothair growth.

DesertGrown

• Like 2

The only reasons for repotting are practise and handling.

In older grow literature you won´t find much about it. Ideal is potting into the pot, it will flower out. Rootgrowth is never disturbed and in nature plants are rarely seen to move to a better place, when they get big.

smile

Re-potting or up-potting actually serves a very good purpose.

The main reason for not potting into the final pot is it makes it very difficult to achieve a consistent watering schedule. When you have a small plant using little water in a large pot it will not cycle properly and you are very likely to have too wet a soil as a result. You want the pot size to correspond to the needs of the young plant.

I up-pot 3 times before they go to flower. Each of the up-pots provides fresh soil and nutrients to the plant. More importantly though the pots are sized so that they will dry out sufficiently and need watering every 3-4 days or so.

If you use a simple technique when up-potting the plants will have little stress. It involves making a reverse mold of the current pot in the new pot like the pics below.

gallery_7905_3434_42633.jpg

gallery_7905_3434_125959.jpg

Then, when you remove the the plant from its current pot it will fit perfectly into the new pot.

I see up-potting as an essential part of growing weed properly.

• Like 3

Transplanting is an aquired skill,.. meaning, you won't ever get good at it unless you practice it... the same goes for turning cuttings into clones.

Saxo's method can be done, but it requires some skill & experience to transplant plants that don't have a full rootball yet.

Any damage done to the roots at this time will definitely effect the plants growth for a bit, at least until the roots heal themselves and become established... breaking any main roots can have a much worse effect on the plant. Cannabis plants are very resilient and can withstand quite a bit of abuse.. but they usually can't handle a severe beating... try to be as gentle as you can when re-potting.

I use Santero's method quite a bit. By the time the cotyledons yellow and dry up the plant has a good enough root system to sustain its own life... this is a good time to re-pot because the roots are actively growing and repotting now won't stunt any root growth. This method also requires a certain amount of skill & experience.

The optimal time to re-pot is when the roots look like a whitish web holding all of the medium together. Waiting a little longer may require 'breaking up' or 'loosening' the rootball some to get the roots to grow outward in their new container. This is by far the best method for those whom are unfamiliar with repotting plants.

Mixing a tsp of B1 in a gallon of water and watering the plant(s) with it approximately 15-20 minutes before you transplant will make you look like a pro, resulting in very little, if any wilt and B1 will get the roots growing right away. B1 helps plants by promoting rapid new roothair growth.

DesertGrown

Thanks for this advice. My roots did indeed look like a whitish web, that was when the soil wasn't falling apart between them through over moisture.

The Cotyledons on both my plants were still going great guns, even the one that turned down and looked buggered. I did use a knife to very delicately cut outside the very edge of the pots, but the soil should have been more dry, definitely. But not TOO dry. I had to 'surgically' remove them at the end of the day.

I feel as if I have just had a little 'baptism of fire' by transplanting my two plants a few hours ago before I post this. So many things to go wrong. So much need for organisation. Do not underestimate this. By this point it is not a game any more. I honestly wondered whether I might actually lose one by it falling apart or not being able to grab the fucking scissors coz my one hand was holding the pot and the other one was holding the one it was going to be transplanted into. It just got really hairy for a moment. I will never underestimate this stage again. To lose your plants at this stage after caring for them day and night like little babies, would just be terrible.

I'm going to butt out now as I have nothing more to add to the debate. You can see my photos of the transplant I did in the thread next to this one or in my gallery I uploaded.

Every single stage of this journey just makes me think, oh yes, I got it now, then the next one comes up as I catch my breath, and it is learning new things all over again. I said it before, but I'll say it again, my respect for growers that produce finished plants from seed, has just gone through the roof.

To do what I just did with 2 dozen plants, let alone 2, well, there must be some kind of system or method that one acquires. Wow, just wow!