•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

GreenAngel

Hortilux vs Genesis Bulbs

http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-1000-Watt-HPS-Bulb/dp/B00GHWRBHU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405376709&sr=8-2&keywords=genesis+bulbs

Hiya friends! Currently, I use Hortilux 600 and 1000 watt bulbs. I was curious if any of you have tested Hortilux vs Genesis bulbs? Did you see any differences in quality and yield? I have heard some good things about these Genesis bulbs and they seem to be significantly cheaper than the Hortilux. Thanks for your imput. Pics of cannabis under a Genesis would be most welcome and appreciated. Peace.

• Like 1

It has High Times slathered all over it….I'll pass :) The Horts are tried and true, the difference you're going to see in top end HPS's are going to be very subtle dude, nothing out there that's going to blow your mind with improvements.

On a side note, I'm testing some philips 4' florescent tube style LED's that you can change the spectrum on the fly…that shit is where it's at for seedlings and cuts!

• Like 4

Id go Hortilux..I like my solis tek setup but after runnin the bulbs I think Id only use solis tek bulbs with digi ballasts. They retail $120 but can be found in the $65 range

Hortilux until proven otherwise, the only testing I have seen, has been by those folks selling the bulbs.

I use Hortilux and Ushio. I've noticed no difference in performance between the two bulbs... as a result I'm swapping all my Hortis for Ushio bulbs. They're half the price.

• Like 1

I will just try one, a Genesis. All the other 5 bulbs I flo with will be Hortilux. I will post the results within a few months. This could be fun, or a complete waste of time ;)

• Like 1

If the Genesis runs the same or better than Hortilux, that's a shit ton of savings ;) I am cautiously optimistic about this experiment. I will run Sugar Punch clones under each bulb. Cheers!

GreenAngel,

First off I know I am new around here. You could look at some picture. In the outdoor section/grow reports to see that I actually can grow weed.

https://www.opengrow...l-outdoor-grow/

If I pull this off I probably will not grow indoors no more at least not finished product.

I used the Hortilux 1000 watt bulbs for years. Mostly because everyone says they are the best. I still have a stock of used ones in my stock room.

I decided to try a Senlite LU1000/ET25/MOG/GROW 1000W ET25 HPS Grow E39 2000K.

They cost 26.99.They were actually cheaper when I first used them.

http://www.gladiator...om/senlite-2304

I actually got just as good if not slightly better production with these bulbs.

They have a 600 watt version as well. I never tried it all I run for flowering is 1000 Watt.

http://www.gladiator...om/senlite-2303

I would suggest giving them a try.You will not be disappointed but will be thinking man I wasted a lot of money on those Hortilux.

I ran these in Lumatek Ballast.

• Like 2

Being new doesn't make one ignorant :) Thanks for your post and I really dig those outdoor Sugar Punches!

• Like 2

I heard there are some par tests with the genesis coming out soon. I bought a genesis as a back up but I use an ushio in my tent.

The people who push the genesis say it gives the same par values as the hortilux but doesn't last as long. The genesis are meant to be changed out every six months. Thus the lower price

GreenAngel,

I am only new here I have been around the block a few times. I have been doing this for over 30 years.

My quest for an excellent high/high yielding sativa that would finish outdoors drew me to the Sugar Punch. (I think I found it)

Which in turn made me realize here at Open Grow you guys have a very diverse and knowledgeable bunch of growers.

It does not matter how much or how long one has grown there is always more to learn.

We can and do all learn from each other.

This forum is a community/family that has a common interest.

• Like 2

Oh, wow. I had no idea you could get a hortilux for $55. Last one I bought was $100 and I remember when they were $150! With the price being so light, I'd indeed be interested in seeing some PAR test results

edit: I believe the link to the Hortilux bulb is selling factory seconds. They're bulbs that were rejected from quality control due to scratches or other oddities, but are still in working condition. This is what I'm getting from reading the reviews to it.

A quick search showed the hortilux bulbs in the $80 price range

The US Supreme Court has said it is OK for manufacturers to set minimum retail prices. Vendors will be cut off if they don't comply. This is one reason Horti's are expensive.

• Like 1

When I seen the amazon price I knew I had to buy from there. Shops around here charge $80-$100 for the Hortilux and they probably just buy the discounted 6 packs and make bank ripping off those who don't shop amazon lol.

I do all of my shopping for everything on the internet not just grow supply's.There is always better deals on everything on the internet.

Amazon does usually have great prices but it never hurts to do a search on Google Advanced Shopping.

It been quite a while since I bought a Hortilux as I think the Sentlites are just as good.

I can remember when I thought $80.00 was a good deal for a Hortilux and now you can get them for $55.00 Wow.

That's the US, I'm in Canada so shipping would make it very close to the same. I do get a slight discount when I buy 50 at a time which helps.

amazon.ca sells the 1000w Eye Hort's for $100 so even if they did sell the 600w, the 600w usually costs more than the 1000w.

Cheers,

RM

Great results with the Eye Horts here as well. about seven years ago I went with Galaxy ballasts and eye horts in 400 and 600 and have not had any issues with either one. They are always around the top of the heap when output is compared, and run about $65-$78 for a 600w,get replacements when they are on sale at the various online shops.

The way I look at it, with a small one or two light personal grow running continually and replacing a bulb every year or so (about 3runs) they are a small investment. I veg w MH an T5s , then swap to HPS at the flip, the used bulbs probably still have plenty of life in them, so they get saved for replacement if one were to burn out (one never has yet).

A less expensive bulb thats comparable in life and useful light output? even better.

I am very interested to see the SP clone comparison, things may change after that.

• Like 2

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Lumenhort-230v-600w-HPS-grow-light-PAR-1100umol-s/718364_2048314206.html

I can show you our bulb with PAR test report, we supplied EURO market for 2 years, the most of distributors from north American only want cheap price, after you checked the report from growerhouse.com you will clear what bulbs those famous brand purchased to sell you end users.

Hmm, decades proven Hortilux or Chinese garbage?

I don't need to insult you to get the point across. You joined here specifically to market your product and your product is made on the backs of slaves in a country with the worst human rights record of any "developed" country.

Good job getting past our tough screening process.

RM

• Like 1