•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

abluntstoner

Needing some advice...

Hey everyone, it's been a few days since I've updated you all on my progress.. My plants are now just over 2 weeks old. I bought a greenhouse to protect them from the elements and my dogs, and a couple days ago, we had a thunderstorm with some strong winds. My greenhouse was zipped up, but somehow the winds were strong enough to knock a few of them over. None of the plants fell out of the cups, but they lost some soil and I imagine shocked them.. So here I am a couple days later, and I just wanted you guys' opinion. Also, I started incorporating some half strength additives into their water. So I'm just trying to factor out possibilities of what's going on with them. I would imagine they would be able to bounce back from this?

Here are some pictures:

166c1lk.jpg

2vl2udz.jpg

jkhs0h.jpg

20tgnsp.jpg

1zleyif.jpg

okbuk5.jpg

2199d10.jpg

2e4aycx.jpg

Some aren't as bad as others, as you can see. Should I cut off the dead foilage from the plants?

I think you are over-watering. Stop watering for 5 or more days.

Along with the "like" button and my proposed "Yo!" button, we should have an "I think you're over-watering" button available.;)

• Like 8

I agree less is more. I wouldnt recommend removing any foliage at this point. When the plants ready it will shed dead foliage, let nature take her course, your plants are so young,

If mother nature worried so much about all the plants like we do about growing this one I think there would be more desert on our planet. This plant will fight like hell to grow and stay alive, just keep that in mind...

• Like 2

Cannabis seedlings prefer surprisingly dry soil.

Push your pinky about an inch into the soil. Feel moisture? ANY moisture, not just soaked soil? Then they don't need water. Also, look into the drain holes at the bottom of the pot. Does that soil look damp? If so, they don't need water.

This is probably the most common mistake growers make in their growing careers. I've done it, and I even accidentally did it after I should have known better.

• Like 2

Well, the average watering schedule they're on right now is about every 4-5 days. I stick my finger down but not that far.. But I guess as they grow bigger, they need it less often. This is my first, so I just want to make sure I get out what I put in. It's definitely something I gotta get used to.

You can let them dry out until the pots are light in weight. They truly like dry soil, especially when young. If you don't remember what your pots felt like when the soil is dry, fill a pot with dry soil and compare.

Your actual watering regime will change through the grow. They can really suck down the water when they get older.

• Like 1

Guest BrockSamson

I feel that when starting growers see yellowing leaves on seedlings, the first thing that comes to mind is a "nutrient deficiency", rather than overwatering. But it is just that, over watering, that causes the seedling's leaves to start yellowing as they have in your picture.

Seedlings don't really need any nutrients (imho) starting out. I find that the soil has enough nutrients in it to keep your seedlings happy until you feel it's time to up pot. Until the whole pot is overtaken by roots, the soil's natural nutrient deposits haven't been depleted.

As for the pots fallin over, they should be fine. Unless the stem was ripped from the roots all together, the seedling will recuperate.

Well, the average watering schedule they're on right now is about every 4-5 days. I stick my finger down but not that far.. But I guess as they grow bigger, they need it less often. This is my first, so I just want to make sure I get out what I put in. It's definitely something I gotta get used to.

They look like they are trying to green up and heal. I was thinking how much better they look. The crinkly dead leaves are from the over watering. Wet roots can't uptake phosphorous, and a phosphorus problem looks like dead crinkly leaves. I think you are doing o.k. on the watering now. It's true to let the dirt dry before watering, but that soil looks o.k. to me now and you have them outside in small cups, which means they are going to dry up very fast on you. Just keep going, you are doing great. Let the soil dry, then water, let it dry, then water. Try to get on a cycle. Are they getting any breezes in your green house? They will need to start getting a little bit of air soon. It strengthens the stems, and then the plant gets bigger. Hoping for the best for you.

Mr. Dirt, I know what you mean...at least half the issues I see on OG asking for help comes from over watering. I think she is doing better now though.

• Like 1

Edit: Forgot to mention. Just leave the dead and dying on for another week or so before you do any picking. After that You will start to see a lot of the dying leaves die off. That's when you can remove Them. If it has any green let it be for now.

edit: edit:

This is going to take a while so settle in. The reward will be given when the work is done. Walk away and don't even look at them except for watering if you can. The more I stare, the more I futz, the more I futz, the worse it gets.

• Like 1

Dasheesh, YES THAT'S EXACTLY HOW I FEEL. I can't help but be worried about them and check on them every 2-3 hours.

Here is a picture of my greenhouse:

bi2gy1.jpg

Like I said, I had it completely zipped up so they didn't get wet, but a few fell over onto the deck and as soon as I realized what had happened, I quickly moved them back onto the shelves, re-positioned the plants, and added more soil. None of the roots were exposed or fell out, but I was scared they were gonna go into shock and die so I added just a splash more water to the soil because I thought it would help. Seems like even when I try to fix it, I only make it worse. But I will leave them alone until it feels like they are desperate for water. Thank you for your comment.

Weed seems to like almost no care at the start, and requires more attention as it gets older. You have to wrap your mind around the idea that you can't do much to help seedlings, but you can do a lot to hurt them.

• Like 4

I have noticed that my seedlings look like this when i dont flush the soil well enough before planting them. Almost like there is too much salt build up in the soil or something. I dont grow in soil anymore except outside but even in my Coco indoors, i flush my coco really well a few days before planting seedlings and they seem to grow much better.

This may sound dumb, but you do have drain holes in the bottoms of those cups, right? If you only have one or two, but a few more in them.

tip, weight your greenhouse down with bricks. i have scene such things take off in storms

Yes I have about 15 holes in each cup

15 holes in the bottom of those cups? i guess small holes? if so make them slightly larger and make 4 holes in the side at the bottom.

Not having a dig or a go, but why do people use cups for pots? i see this a lot in the USA. they are very translucent to light.

Not having a dig or a go, but why do people use cups for pots? i see this a lot in the USA. they are very translucent to light.

Because they're very cheap, and they work out OK for most garden vegetables. Also, many of us have them in some kitchen cabinet or another, from some party or picnic we had.

They are not ideal containers, mostly because they don't seem to drain well. But I've also seen plants with green roots, because light was getting to them.

• Like 1

As far as giving seedlings nutrients goes.. they don't need ANY nutrients until after the cotyledons have dried up. The cotyledons are "embryonic leaves" that contain stored food reserves from the seed.

Try hiding that watering can from yourself for a few days... look at how small those plants are right now.. how much water do you think they use everyday, I can tell you they don't use much. A cup that size, with a seedling in it should have moist, but not wet medium inside of it and should only need a watering maybe once every 4-5 days... maybe even longer. A few larger holes are generally better for drainage that a lot of little holes... the ability for the medium to completely drain so no standing water is in the bottom of the container is of great importance. Too much water in the rhizosphere depleates the oxygen that is needed by the roots... and the plant drowns.

Letting the medium dry out between waterings encourages root growth... roots will grow to wherever the water is. Watering containers from the bottom is a good way to stay away from overwatering too. Once the roots really begin to grow into a system, then you'll notice the tops of the plants start to elongate and grow. When they get to this stage... they are ready to take off and grow like weeds.. now is when they need water & food.

• Like 4

UPDATE: Just about every single plant is showing yellow leaves. None of them have been watered in 6 days. I checked for moisture in each cup, some are bone dry but most of them can hold off a bit longer. Now I'm thinking I should have never given them the additives... The cotyledons are yellow but don't feel dry or brittle.. so how can I know when they're dried up? Here are some pics for you all..

2jbmcxz.jpg

I lied, I actually have more drainage holes... Do you think this is good enough for proper drainage?

25ovsyc.jpg

rlho4o.jpg

2uyg21w.jpg

vqpk6d.jpg

If this is the result of the additives I've been giving them, the best option I can think of would be to flush the soil and start over just watering them until they're old enough for the additives. BTW - the additives I'm using are just bacteria, not chemicals. That's why I thought it wouldn't have made a difference in when I started using them. I read that it can take up to 14 days for the plants to fully digest what's been given to them.. These plants are just about 20 days old, so I just don't want to backtrack my progress.. *sigh* I hope the little fellas come out of this okay. I've definitely learned a lot about what NOT to do with cannabis seedlings.

If flushing is my best bet, I basically get a bucket and water the plant until all the brown water drains out into the bucket and runs clear, correct?

PS - THANK YOU ALL so much for responding to this post. I stress out when my plants look stressed. And you all have been so wonderful in responding back, I really appreciate what I'm learning from you guys.