•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Nil

Columbian Gold x Jamaican Lambsbread f3-why do I punish myself?

My first 2 parents were taken from a 20 plant grow, and survived a battery of tests before the survivors were chosen-#8 and #15. My second grow (f2) was 12 plants. This time I will grow a few plants at a time until I get what I want. I will keep the best plants and replace them when better plants turn up. This next cross will be all about bud quality. I will keep going until I find perfect parents, or run out of f3 seed.

• Like 2

How long is the flowering period? This sounds like a study in patience,

• Like 1

do you run anything else? I bet you could run two cycles of some plants while those are working through their motions. Must be some mighty fine gear to run those. I assume its easily a 16+ week cycle....I'd bet some c99 would help that finishing situation out, but could change the integrity of your project......Best of luck on your next round and any pics from the F2? Would love to see one of those monsters....

I would do it if I had the space. I'm always trying to get something "like" a long flowering sativa without the long flowering part. But there are always trade-offs.

• Like 2

I have bred the flo time down to 14-15 weeks, but she takes a while to mature. From clone there is 18-20 days of 12/12 before the buds begin to appear. It takes 5-7 weeks of 12/12 from seed to start seeing buds. The hardest part is keeping the growth in check, and not letting your medium get toxic. I will cut the tops from 2 of my 4 seedlings and graft them back on to the original root stock to see if it affects the maturation time compared to the 2 siblings. I have a number of CoJam crosses I am working on, but I want to keep this one pure.

• Like 3

Hey Nil . I did one run from a friends f3 and they went 15 weeks. Mine got seeded way more than I was trying to but the high was very nice still. Are your plants all having a similar high ? What is the high like ?

It is good to know that someone else is inbreeding this strain. I have passed out quite a bit of CoJam seed, so I hope it is here to stay. The high is very peaceful and spacey. There is little stone to it, and it is very active. The thing I have really tried to breed in so far is the aroma from the original #8 male. The aroma is sweet, slightly fruity, and VERY heady. Heady is a hard term to describe. It is sharp like menthol, but there is no sort of mint character, or anything like that. It is sharp on the nose the way menthol is, but it is all sweet/fragrant. I may have this next batch tested because I want to know what makes this aroma. It is unlike any strain I have ever smelled, and it all comes from Cthulhu-CoJam #8. His buds are longer and thinner than the female #15 I chose. All of his crosses have a strong medicinal/oily character. The female had a certain sulphurous aroma that I did not like. She had the buds, vigor, potency, and flo time. During my second cross, I selected for vigor, light requirements, bud production, stickiness, and aroma. I immediately tossed out the ones that smelled like the mother.

I am also curious about the protocol concerning the naming of strains. Is it wrong to name this strain since I have only inbred it? Is there a number of generations you need to breed it before earning naming rights?

i'd keep the name but add a credit to the one who preserved the line.

"this is the USC col-jam ... an F4, selected by nil for bud quality" ;)

I wouldn't give it a new name unless you are getting phenos the original strain didn't produce. At some point it would be your Coljam. Maybe it is now. In the description, just attribute it to the USC gentlemen.

Thanks Jah, I could not have come this far without access to good genetics.

I had intended to do a grafting test to see if they would mature faster, but it would seem that breeding has rendered the test irrelevant. Selecting for fast plants with low light requirements means that 2 of the 4 have already shown gender, and a 3rd will soon. I have a male and a female so far. I hope the tall one is male because it does not have other qualities I like. The short one was damaged today, and had to be treated for wounds. The smallest plant, fell and broke in half, though the half was still intact.

I had to create a Weed Splint that I have used on a number of plants. A weed splint can be used to repair most plants that do not have full amputations. I have even used them on young seedlings that were broken in several places.

There are 2 pictures for each plant. The first 2- from the same plant - I hope are male because they are so leggy.

gallery_7190_3031_879770.jpg

gallery_7190_3031_373941.jpg

This is the smaller one, and she took a terrible fall. I repaired her with a splint.

gallery_7190_3031_909640.jpg

I have used a similar splint on seedlings that were broken in multiple spots. Take notice.

gallery_7190_3031_457900.jpg

A picture of an adequate male.

gallery_7190_3031_1011693.jpg

He may not be used in the future...he must perform or die.

gallery_7190_3031_815818.jpg

This is a female...pistil and all. Very early for CoJam.

gallery_7190_3031_723908.jpg

I have been deliberately breeding down the maturity time, so why am I surprised?

gallery_7190_3031_641065.jpg

My only female has betrayed me by growing bananas. I will have to start another round and hope for more females. I will post a photo of the hermie later. It was doing well under LED until the bananas showed. The aroma was just what I was looking for.

• Like 2

man I know you know what you are doing but, aren't the cups a little small for that size plant. I remember the cg back in my run aroud days.71 and up. have fun with your project. I am a 7/8 week man. be safe and keep the pics coming- good luck.

I keep them in small cups to limit the growth. It does not have a high nutrient demand, so if you can keep providing water, you can grow CoJam in a smaller pot than you would think. I also topped them prior to transplant for flo. I clip the smaller of the 2 branches below the cut so there is still 1 top cola. I put her under LED to limit the stretch and overall size during flo. I did not want her to own my tent.

Here is what she looked like before a killed her.gallery_7190_3031_312779.jpg

gallery_7190_3031_995753.jpg

The crystals and aroma were just starting to form. She had ~8 weeks of flo left. You can see by the door knob that she is a good height for a 2 gallon smart pot.

I shut my garden down in frustration this Summer after losing a long battle with spider mites during Winter and Spring. I will make another attempt in a couple weeks.

• Like 1

hey Nil...i've been doing a similar grow to your's but with another Sativa F1 of two "landraces".I hope you keep at it...the end result should yield something different and arguably better than whatever gg/cookie/sour stuff is going around.

hey Nil...i've been doing a similar grow to your's but with another Sativa F1 of two "landraces".I hope you keep at it...the end result should yield something different and arguably better than whatever gg/cookie/sour stuff is going around.