•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
The_Organic_Obsession

Good Pollen Chucking Method for us Amateurs

Hey OG!

I thought I would post a good selective pollen chucking method I recently had really good luck with. I don't sell seeds or need 1000s of them, so selective pollination works well for me. This allows me to make some seeds in my flower room but not ruin my otherwise sensi crop.

First, I will tell you what I used to do.

I segregate my males to an isolated room with no fans before they started popping pollen. This is usually a closet with no air flow. A couple CFL bulbs on 12/12 is plenty to make these flower and start dropping pollen. Once they start dropping pollen I just shake the buds into a mason jar with some desiccant in the bottom to make sure it stays 100% dry. Pick out the staminate flower parts so you just have the yellow pollen and desiccant. I do this over a week period or so then trash the males. This goes into the freezer for storage. I still do everything up to this stage 100% the same.

I would then take some pollen from the jar and mix it with some flour to make it go farther. I probably mix 10:1 flour to pollen or something like that (there is still plenty of pollen in this mix but you can use a lower ratio or pure pollen). I would bring my girls into a separate room with no fans. I do this around week 3-4 of flower depending on the strain once buds have begun to set. I would selectively paint individual buds with a qtip or small artist brush. I shake the plant off and then it goes back into the flower room. After 24 hours I foliar spray the whole room to kill off any remaining stray pollen. You can repeat as needed, but once is plenty to make a stash of seeds. This works quite well, but I would get some strays. The surrounding nugs usually have a couple beans and then you have some randoms throughout the tent. Nothing major, but it can be annoying shredding a seed in the grinder.

I figured I would try something new this round. I went searching through the house looking for some sort of see through bag that I could seal off around a bud. I found some clear thin plastic bags that were long and skinny. Almost that material that old school hard candies would come in. I put a scoop of pollen/flour mix in the bottom of the bag, maybe a 1/2 teaspoon. I took my target plants to the room with no air flow and tipped them on their side. I eased the bag over a small branch and twisted the bag tight along the stem over the amount of the branch I wanted to pollinate. Then I zip tied it super tight in the twisted area of the bag. I shook the hell out of the bag and the branch spreading the pollen around and repeated that a few times. I put the plant back into the flower room for about 36-48 hours. You start to get some condensation at that point so longer is not recommended. Next, I pulled those plants back out. I put a small slit in the top of the bag and stuck my foliar sprayer nozzle in there, soaking the hell out of the bud and the inside of the bag until water was collecting at the bottom where the zip tie is. After that I just removed the bag and put the plants back into the flower room.

I just got done trimming most of my crop and haven't seen a single stray yet, even on the nugs below the bag. The nugs inside the bag are extremely well pollinated.

I would say this is a very good method for folks like me looking to make a few dozen-hundred seeds without risking your crop.

Hope this helps!

Dude

• Like 7

Thanks man. Definitely beats the bukkake fest that was my last grow. At least I'm set with seeds for a while.

• Like 1

Just made my night!! need to go find some long clear bags and do this up!! Thanks bro. Gotta start crossing that SSH pheno of the Silverfields to some indica shit!

Good stuff Dude, :tu but I just select one male that has all the traits that I'm looking for instead of a circle jerk of assorted donors.

(even clone the selected male if he is the stud that really stands out) :grinning_respect:

Thank you bro!

This is a really Easy and Safe way to get them beans.

Keep it up!