•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

green path

What I Do ( Green Path Seeds )

a "business plan" (sounds profitable, hehe) and idea to sell anything should be comen in after

you reached the goals and finalized the traits in recurring phenos that you want to show in your

line/s.

people knowing you and having grown some stuff from you in the past also helps ...

also, there should be some valid & strongly positive reputation present before even

going into this mode, imo (you can clearly see in this thread how this goes when a

"nobody" comes to a place and starts to peddle his stuff to strangers).

so, have great fun and much success with creating your lines

(cuz the biz will come in by itself, if the lines are good enough).

and this takes time ... plus never forget:

you'll never get rich if you (honestly) make seeds and sell them in a (real) honest way.

arjan might tell you otherwise, lol ...

• Like 6

a "business plan" (sounds profitable, hehe) and idea to sell anything should be comen in after

you reached the goals and finalized the traits in recurring phenos that you want to show in your

line/s.

But those goals, and the achieving of them, are part of the business plan. The costs associated with achieving those goals must be estimated and measured to determine the overall feasibility and profitability of the business. For instance, the mini-plan to estimate the startup costs for the selection is already starting to come together. I would need to rent an office that would give me at least 1000sqft of growing space. So lets be kind and say i need 1500sqft total.

First year estimated costs:

office rent: 8x1500 = 12000

Lights: 200x10 = 2000

Genetics: 2000

utilities: 2400

So we are at $18,600 in investment for the first year of business, just for the selection of the parent generation, and we haven't begun to consider all initial costs or the cost of my time itself. If I am going to start a business, i want to know how long its going to take to get that 20-25k back.

Now, in that first year we will produce some crops, and this business only becomes feasible if a particular initiative passes in 2016 that makes farming cannabis legal and we can dispose of those crops to dispensaries for some initial income. Otherwise doing all that for some personal smoke an an initial parental generation that is only going to give me freebees to get my business name established in the community would make it a non starter off the bat. If DJ, who has been doing this for years is only making $1 or less a seed, and selling 16000 seeds or less a year, then we can assume that the initial income from the seed side of the business could only be 1/2 to 1/4 of that in the initial generation of sold seeds, which would be sometime in the late second to third year?

See... Business plans are always needed. Take it from someone who ran a buisness that failed in a spectacular fashion after 8 years :(

DB

• Like 2

your approach foresees to spend 20000$ first and THEN look for the parents?

woah, this way you will go broke before you even made a first cross, brother :blink:

(this could fail in a spectacular fashion in less years then the last one, mate !!!

but you do deserve a much better success after your former experiences, imo.)

anyhoo ...

there are differnt set of goals and different ways of

understanding of how to get where you want to get.

some are out to create a "good running business" and others are

out for creating good lines and do not care AT ALL about money.

(it's a bit the same with "real" knowledge, based on experience ...

no theoretical approach substitutes for actual work. "learning by doing" is

WAY better, then knowing all but not being capable in real life in the end.

nobody should be afraid of mistakes, they are the best teacher. learning

from mistakes others did, makes you only a parrot, lol, not "real" wise ;))

in my experience you can create some really great lines without the fancy

20000 $$$$$ setup... esko f.e. uses four big tents and creates some of the

best smoke around, hands down, but everybody has a different approach.

in any way ...

i hope you get out of it what you seek, mate :)

monetary success or good lines or whatever ...

you do deserve a success after the former experience you described, bro !!

• Like 7

in my experience you can create some really great lines without the fancy

20000 $$$$$ setup... esko f.e. uses four big tents and creates some of the

best smoke around, hands down, but everybody has a different approach.

in any way ...

i hope you get out of it what you seek, mate :)

See, so my startup costs could be WAY off. More research would indeed be necessary. And again, this is a huge maybe, based on a bigger IF.

DB

• Like 2

The 20k is for the first year's expense, the search for parents. The main cost here is the idea I need 1000sqft of growing space plus another 500sqft for general office activity that I have to rent at 8/sqft. I would use this to run 5 strains, 100 plants each, to select mothers + fathers from. The other 500sqft of growing would be divided into spaces used for storing keepers, clones, generating pollen etc. I figure it will take at least this year to find the plants I want to start breeding with. Then another year, and another 12k!!!, to produce, test, and distribute seeds for eventual sale.

But, if I can legally sell the "byproduct" of selection off to dispensaries, then that initial 32k would get off set quite a bit, potentially even profitably. This is something else that would have to be factored in.

And I know it might not be that "thang" in this forum, but i might be more like this arjan character i would be looking to create a profitable corporation, not improving the genetic lines or helping people with thier sickness or anything altruistic like that. Other than the fact that the creation of a profitable company provides income for folks and improves the overall economy.

Im a folk, I deserve an income, and like a strong local economy. Especially one based on farming :)

DB

• Like 3

you see, i read "profit" a lot ... not once you said "good smoke", hehe B)

we do have quite the different opinons and approaches, but that should

be no problem, imo.

i'd never tie my seedmaking to my monetary income ... this way it does not

depend on each other and i'll never have to go a route or let elemtns of the

trade dictate stuff to me that i don't want in my seedmaking-endeavours ;)

but please don't bother about my mere opinons, brother. i am just one tiny

voice in the vast aether, may success shine on all your endeavours, mate !

• Like 6

San, you are one of the reasons i love this place. The whole idea of putting out a buisness plan on a forum like this would be to get the opinions of folks like youselfs to make the plan better and more successful. For a thread that started off wrong, there is a ton of good info in it. Thats OG for you....

• Like 3

i don't understand why short produces such a small number of seeds. he has people that do majority of the growing and harvesting, seems like should be able to do a lot more than 16000. he doesn't get a great deal from the seed banks for his seeds, considering how much the retail price for them is, but he's also paying others for what a small operation does on it's own. getting a dollar or so a seed isn't a awesome profit, but he never has to touch it or the plant it came from.

• Like 1

i don't understand why short produces such a small number of seeds. he has people that do majority of the growing and harvesting, seems like should be able to do a lot more than 16000. he doesn't get a great deal from the seed banks for his seeds, considering how much the retail price for them is, but he's also paying others for what a small operation does on it's own. getting a dollar or so a seed isn't a awesome profit, but he never has to touch it or the plant it came from.

This leads me to wonder what the size of the cannabis seed market is. Quick research didn't show any results. Maybe @sannie or Escobar have this info?

If it's low, like 2mil, that would explain it. If so, DJs 160k in gross revenue on the seller end represents 10 percent of the market, which is significant. Even if it's 2omil and DJ represents 1%, that's would be an accomplishment. "Hi, I represent 1% of all the revenue generated by selling pot seeds.. Globally...how you doin?" Maybe he can't sell more then 1600 packs a year because there isnt the demand for it? That would likely to change with the march to legalization in the U.S.

Db

Honestly, DB - imvho, if you are asking questions like that at this stage of the game you are probably playing in the wrong league. Just $aying...

Better to start small, establishing parental lines as you learn and GROW will allow you to adjust. Every day will bring a new set of circumstances to navigate. Shark infested waters, indeed! You sound like decent folk, the biz is full of hustlers n scammers. Is that what you want for yourself and your family?

Maybe a solid biz plan dedicated to some product or idea or services that support the industry. Better to cash in from the sidelines, no? I applaud the REAL cannabis breeders out there. If you ask them (other than "the king", of course...) they will all tell you the same thing. just go for it if that's what you really want.

I can say for certain that the absolute BEST breeders all share the same passion for finding the best cannabis possible.

:)

• Like 4

Maybe a solid biz plan dedicated to some product or idea or services that support the industry. Better to cash in from the sidelines, no?

I

You know dude, this is brilliant advice. If the law I am talking about gets passed there is going to be a surge in investment, new businesses farms and breeders here. The ones that make it, and the ones that don't, will all need products and services of both specific and generic types. Serve both the winners and the losers and stay out of the blood bath. Very Moriarty.. I love it.

Db

• Like 1

That's the spirit, ol' chap! All it takes is one great idea...just be thorough in your preparations

Now the challenge is to find a nitch product or service with a nice margin I a can jump on.. Hydro shops are passe, and there are a ton of them as it is. Don't know what needs a cannabis farm would have that a regular farm wouldn't, but Farming in my state took a huge hit so there might not be many farm-centric type services around. Im a computer guy, maybe i could specialize in automated security for MJ farms. Hmm, maybe a whole oursourced security company, with monioting, guards, dogs etc..

We could install an electric fence around crops, and drop off Dobermans for night watch duties..... :-D

DB