•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
benefit cuts

Gavita ballast problem. Can anyone help?

Hi,

I've been running 2 x 600w Gavita Pro ballasts with Gavita bulbs in my flower room for my current run. I checked in on the girls last night and noticed one of the lights was off. I've been watering every 4 days just before the lights come on to minimise the risk of passers by seeing light leaks so it may have been this way for a week or more :(. Anyway I checked connections etc and tried again, what happens is the light fires briefly then cuts out after about a minute. The Gavita ballasts have a red LED which flashes a number of times to indicate what the issue is, mine blinks 5. I checked this with some Gavita literature online and thought it indicated a bulb problem so i've tried two seperate bulbs in it a 600w Eurolux and a 600w Sunmaster and the issue persists. I ordered a Philips Greenpower bulb last night hoping it was a bulb issue but now i'm thinking it's something else. I've set up an old bog standard 600w ballast as a replacement for now and that works fine on the same relay so i'm lost. I'm thinking there may be a loose wire or connection in the ballast itself now but honestly have no idea. It's a real pity as I love the Gavita's and i'm wondering if anyone with more technical know how and experience has any ideas on what the problem could be so i'm throwing it open to you guys. Any ideas people? Thanks.

hello,

It could be the wire from your ballast to your lamp, try to switch the cables from the lamp like the left one to the right en right to left,

also some of the ballast have a long wire, so it could give problems to start up, then you can make the cable a little shorter, and if that wont work

look if your ballast it not to close to some other electric thing it maybe can give magnetic field or something.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike,

The Gavita cables are really short, but good shout on switching the cables and seeing if that's the issue. I'll give that a try tomorrow during lights out to see if that's where the issue lies. The other two bulbs i've tried it with aren't ideal for the ballast same watts but not what the manufacturer recommends so i'm also going to give it another shot when the replacements delivered. Honestly I really hope it is the cable as I got them on ebay and as such can't return them to the reseller and I can't find anyone who deals with repairs in the uk either. It isn't really something I feel comfortable taking to a regular electrician either due to the nature of my hobby haha. Cheers mate.

• Like 1

Hello mate,

Do you know that Gavita pro 600W run a 400V "electronic" bulb ? It's a special bulb made for the ballast, Philips Greenpower 400V 600W or Gavita now have one too.

I never tested standard 600W on my ballast so I can tell you what it does... but I know it do not using standard bulb on to avoid ballast or bulb failure...

Take a look on the bulb it's wrote ELECTRONIC (green) on the glasses and 400V 600W near the bulb cap.

Hope this help.

• Like 1

Alright hiwatt,

Yes, I was aware that they use different bulbs, I tried the other two because the only spare Gavita bulb I have is in my second Gavita fixture at the moment the Greenpower one on order should arrive today or Monday at which point i'll be able to say for certain if that's the problem. Trying the other two non standard bulbs was a bit of a hopeful, panic move on my part as I didn't want to be messing about with the set up and throwing another ballast and bulb up as a stop gap. It's done now after a bit of sweating and trampling around my flower room. I'm really pleased you chirped in though mate as it's given me a bit more hope that it isn't a ballast problem, I really love those things and my plants seem to as well haha. I'll let you guys know what happens with it and am hoping it wasn't off for an extended period as I can see myself harvesting half a room of fluffy air bud in about 3 weeks. God it never does run smooth does it? Thanks again everyone.

I think the best thing is to try to replace the ballast of the non electronic bulb by a magnetic for the time you receive the new "Greenpower EL" bulb. And why not testing when lights are off, the 400V bulb on the changed ballast to be sure you've ordered the good thing...

Hope it's only a bulb problem. This Gavita ballast are really great, plants love it for sure !

• Like 1

take the bulb out of the other and see if it works ,.if it does you know it is a bulb problem not your ballast. an visa versa.

• Like 1

Hey bigun,

Cheers, the reason I didn't do that is because if it was a faulty ballast there was a possibility of blowing my one working Gavita bulb from the other fixture, essentially doubling my problems. It is a problem with the ballast definitely, as I've now tried it with a Philips Greenpower bulb. Not the end of the world switching that back out for an old ballast and lighting fixture today. Next runs going to be smaller so i'll have some time to look into getting it fixed. I'll contact Gavita direct and see if they can point me in the right direction for servicing in the U.K because I don't have a warranty. Appreciate everyone's replies a lot. Big up the Opengrow community :).

• Like 1

Hey Spaceman, the 600 watt ballasts do have a problem indicator on start up. There's a red led which blinks on and off a set number of times depending on the issue, not sure on the 1000w one's you're using. That was zero help to me in the end though, and the one which went never worked again. If yours are under manufacturers warranty still then contact Gavita directly and they should help. Mine were bought second hand from eBay so I couldn't do that. I tried contacting a few Gavita stockists here in the UK to ask if they had any links with people that do Gavita repairs but none of them replied. Hope you have better luck than I did.