•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

My last grow was as close to a failure as a successful grow can be. I didn't even bother to measure the yield. The taste of the buds is nice, but the high was far from satisfying, which can be expected when you are forced to cut a sativa leaning hybrid 2-3 weeks early. Could have been worse though.

Fortunately, I made some much needed changes, and I think I'm on the right path this time.

Sowed 3 Auto Gambians on 3/12. We all know that the Auto Gambians come from one man only, so I don't even think it needs to be mentioned!

Started in Rockwool, the infamous 'white hook' showed up at the surface of the rockwool on the 5th, at which point i put them into the 6" net pots. I think they're 6", never bothered to measure them. They were placed in the setup which has space for 3 net pots in a top feed DWC method in a 40L Rubbermaid tub. To the water I added Canna Rhizotonic at ⅛ of the suggested concentration. Set the lights on 20/4.

I went out of town and came back in a few days and they were looking like any other seedling. nice and happy.

Here they are on the 13th:

gallery_7978_4801_174670.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_145615.jpg

And on the 15th:

gallery_7978_4801_24862.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_1513942.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_248352.jpg

Fast forward to 20/12/14

gallery_7978_4801_755291.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_154739.jpg

No change in the reservoir at all. Roots are looking nice and white.

There is one bigger than the other two; this is purely because the water beneath its roots is receiving an unevenly large share of oxygen. This should all be sorted out when my new air pump arrives and when i move these three to my small trial top feed RDWC setup:

gallery_7978_4801_84488.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_630741.jpg

This little "elbow" elevation pictured below is to maintain a minimum water level in the buckets:

gallery_7978_4801_56908.jpg

Will test run it in the daytime hours today for a few hours to make sure there are no leaks and it's all working well and then 'transplant' these autogambians into their respective buckets.

But wait, there's more!

gallery_7978_4801_404165.jpg

will be setting up an aeroponic grow in a 12 gallon tub with 5 sites in 3" net pots to see how it works out.

This will also leave the initial tub (which the auto gambians are currently residing in) empty for more work/experiments.

I am also in the process of building my own LEDs and seeing which works best - 3w diodes or 10w ones. I am going to be using a combination of cool white/warm white. I think I will lean towards the 3w because they generate less heat.

gallery_7978_4801_402592.jpg

and we are done...for now. more later amigos

Now for a joint of the best charas in the world....

Boom

El Chupa

• Like 8

Thanks Gregster. Happy new year buddy

Grow is looking good. Couldn't set up the aero thing as my tub wasn't big enough. water was spraying out the sides, so i'm getting a better tighter container.

2 females out of 3 Gambian Ryder seeds. One more vigorous than the other.

gallery_7978_4801_368550.jpg

still under cfl - to be replaced by LEDs by the end of the week.

the smaller gambian ryder girl threw out a banana pair which I was quick to pinch off. Fingers crossed that there aren't any more.

gallery_7978_4801_93727.jpg

Got my hands on some beautiful Indian weed over the holidays.

gallery_7978_3604_266973.jpg

gallery_7978_3604_1078181.jpg

and

gallery_7978_4781_559978.jpg

gallery_7978_4781_717844.jpg

in addition to

gallery_7978_4781_76625.jpg

gallery_7978_4781_855527.jpg

Happy Holidays indeed

• Like 4

Hi Chup,

They look great.

I've seen a few balls in them at the 6th - 9th node on some pheno's.

They are easy to detect and can not do much damage at this stage.

The full life span of these auto's is about 100 days, give or take a few.

Good luck with the rest of the cycle.

• Like 1

From the MGuyver of potgrowers to the DIY man, the metamophorsis of elchuipacapra... good luck to your next episode of "From few to much".

smile

• Like 1

Nice looking weed there! Never smoked indian weed..just what we here call good charras. People bring it from India

every year to festivals here. damn good :icecream:

Good luck with the grow elchupacabra. I hope this one will end how you like them!

bOom

Hey Chup, fellow hydro nut here. Like your system, is this the cristening run or have you taken this one out for a few turns?

I have experimented with a few types of hydro systems, the Aeroponics are really nice for getting some strong root development, probably some of the whitest roots of any systems I ever used. THe RDWC system I built this past summer (approx 120 gallons) produced lots of tomatoes and keep the plants so well fed and aerated, but you need alot of space to really do them justice. I built a 16 site system and next year it will be setup alot differently. I am still eatiing tomatoes from my garden that was taken down in October. It will rock next summer....

Good luck on the grow

Nice looking weed there! Never smoked indian weed..just what we here call good charras. People bring it from India

every year to festivals here. damn good :icecream:

Good luck with the grow elchupacabra. I hope this one will end how you like them!

bOom

yesss the good charas from india is too good, really a notch above. very very very hard to find good weed here though, especially compared to a global perspective!

Hey Chup, fellow hydro nut here. Like your system, is this the cristening run or have you taken this one out for a few turns?

I have experimented with a few types of hydro systems, the Aeroponics are really nice for getting some strong root development, probably some of the whitest roots of any systems I ever used. THe RDWC system I built this past summer (approx 120 gallons) produced lots of tomatoes and keep the plants so well fed and aerated, but you need alot of space to really do them justice. I built a 16 site system and next year it will be setup alot differently. I am still eatiing tomatoes from my garden that was taken down in October. It will rock next summer....

Good luck on the grow

hey there hazy

this is the christening run for everything that you see there as far as I'm concerned. :)

I was also thinking of heading aero direction because as the temps go up during the year here the water in a DWC will have less and less DO. I was thinking pvc pipes with sites and aero feeders. I have a decent amount of space to work with, so i was going to try one horizontal set up with led's (the aero pvc pipes) and one v scrog with the hps, consisting of a few (6-8) RDWC buckets around a cylindrical screen.

gallery_7978_4801_1106876.jpg

LEDs are in place and operational.

will have to wait a while before passing judgement.

30w (3 x 10w)

gallery_7978_4835_375826.jpg

gallery_7978_4835_1041827.jpg

gallery_7978_4835_485173.jpg

far from pretty, but depending on how it goes, i will add about 50w to it so i have left the cosmetic finishes for the end.

and here we have the 18w (6 x 3w)

gallery_7978_4835_251606.jpg

not sure if there's a problem with some LEDs...or if it's the resistance. 1.44 ohms for the first triangle of LEDs (from left to right) and 1.66 ohms for the second triangle. however, i didnt think .22 ohms and a handful of mA of current would make that big a difference. will have to see.

more later

best vibes,

ElChupa

• Like 3

your plants looking happy and promizing,Bro and i like the DIY- LED and the(indian style)Fan-Board :specool

best of luck,Chub

thanks saxo

well folks i feel like an idiot now, i found these 10w led 'flood lights' for about 4.75 EUR a piece.

400374hjdcpic.jpeg

the exact same design is available with 30w for 12.5 EUR and 50w for 19 EUR.

I think for the remainder, I'd rather just pick up 3 of the 50w ones and save myself the trouble of labour and those fumes from soldering. i can't fucking stand them and i'm sure they must be terrible for health.

they all put out about 90 lumens per watt. I still haven't educated myself on the topic of mols and light and i really think i should, i feel i'm missing something here.

is there any reason anyone would advise me to do otherwise, i.e. not purchase the 50w led and purchase another combination?

also, i'm noticing that the leds don't seem to have great penetration. they do seem better than the cfls in terms of the 'intensity'/'quality' of light though. like the top leaves directly under the light look a lot brighter but the leaves at the bottom seem to fall under a lot more shadow. it might also just look darker because the part directly under the light looks brighter. that might sound contradictory, not sure if im making sense...

another major problem with my dwc setup is the size of my reservoir. its common sense really, that for 3 5 gallon buckets, a 10 gallon reservoir is not the best option. but i'm a bit strapped for funds and the ONE thing that's more expensive than europe and america for some reason is large plastic containers. a 45 gallon container was costing me 35 pounds which is ridiculous.

as a result of a small reservoir, water levels are low in the buckets. to make things worse, one air pump failed again. i'm thinking of buying a commercial magnetic compressor pump but again short of funds...

father time, you win again, you cruel bitch.

soon, i'll have my revenge.

anyways, one other thing that's really really irritating me is the fact that i cannot find a thermal adhesive ANYWHERE. i had to use thermal grease to 'kind of' stick the leds on which keeps them from falling off, but allows them to ice skate all over the plate. again i can buy it online from ebay - at a 100% price increase. sometimes the benefits just barely outweigh the disadvantages of living here from a growing perspective.

quick but important update:

I think there may have been a mix up somewhere along the way...although I opened a packet which was supposed to be the Auto Gambians from 2013, I'm not so sure these are autoflowering...the larger plant of the two almost certainly isn't. they're all on 20/4, and today i shifted it to 18/6 to see if it makes a difference. if it doesn't, whoop de do, i'll turn the branchy girl into clones and when they root they'll all go into flowering together under big (not really), bad (potentially) 400w vertical HPS and we will try to piece together the mystery product. ;)

also, since I already have 10w LEDs at a uniform height, to make the height arrangement easier for me, I just picked up 2 of the 10w flood leds mentioned earlier to see how it goes.

Quick update.

Spoke to FOTH and he said the lack of flowering could be because of insufficient light intensity. Well, we couldn't afford to let that happen, so they went from this

gallery_7978_4801_769000.jpg

to straight under (around rather) the 400w HPS.

gallery_7978_4801_44911.jpg

on another note, I have something like this which is 295 litres (potential reservoir? with a pvc cage drip setup??)

Loft-Water-Storage-Tanks-.jpg

but with the top face (the one with the hole) cut out. I have about 90 square feet of space for flowering and 18 sq feet of vegging room. both with plenty of height above them.

what is the best strategy to go about setting up a cyclical harvest?

all options have to be based around vertical growing. i have no way of controlling temperatures otherwise.

another question:

I am seriously considering purchasing a 600w bulb and ballast from europe online despite the 50 pound shipping cost.

http://www.progrow.co.uk/acatalog/info_05329.html

does this seem to be a good ballast??

• Like 2

the shift to the HPS was what they needed and flowering is on full power. i wouldn't have figured that was the cause myself, props to the man FOTH

IMG 20150126 222920275

IMG 20150126 222840643

This is the neglected NBD x SZ seedling, picking up. not sure what these blackish/purplish stuff is on the edges of the leaves, never experienced that before, but since the ppms were at about 54, I figured it was time to pick em up, so they are now at around 150 for the SZ x NBD and 200 for the autogambians. more SZ x NBD seedlings on the way.

IMG 20150126 200900798

IMG 20150126 200841339

IMG 20150126 200832365

this is rapidly turning into a FOTH gear grow ;)

• Like 2

i am happy to announce that i have got the outdoor space and ability to grow back again : )

Greenhouse soon under construction, about 400 sq metres, and about one mj plant every 3-4 square metres amidst other stuff :)

here are some pics of an unusual test plant. planted and finished flowering in a total of under 16 weeks and developed just one central cola, although yield was quite little. then again, we did nothing to the soil and didn't care for her one bit to be honest.

a day before cut:

gallery_7978_4781_120274.jpg

dried bud

gallery_7978_4781_111186.jpg

heavy scents of mango and a strong strong citrus undertone

gallery_7978_4781_584539.jpg

• Like 6

I always put autoflowers outdoor as soon as they show sex.

That's when they keep getting more and more lights, as our days get longer.

Yours were still under the same lamps,

that's what was keeping them down.

There is far less room for errors growing Autoflowers,

no time for corrections, while the biological clock is ticking.

They might be more suitable for your future greenhouse.

And that is very good news.

The Sz x NBD shows purple colours because of Blueberry genes of NewBlueDiesel.

But it also looks a bit hungry.

They might eat more then the AG's.

Nice test plant!

• Like 1

so the plan as of now is to fence off about one acre and place one mj plant for every 20 sq metres. whether it's lady cane, an auto gambian or an indian. 1 for 20 sq metres. that translates to 220 plants. since some will be indian and some will yield nice, I sure as fuck hope that translates to a yield of at LEAST 220 oz. although something like a total of 700 oz would make me much happier ;) with indian plants giving me at LEAST 200 grams, avg of more like 400, I think a solid 15 kgs total off the area can be expected at the least. there will be tons of other plants in there...so it'll make for some nice pictures as well. : )

does the NBD generally get purplish in veg?? and does it colour at 28 deg C? I would have thought it happens in flowering at lower temps. I think she was a bit hungry. hope i made the right decision.

• Like 1

Sorry for the lag between updates. Been traveling and very busy.

Fortunately, that doesn't seem to have bothered the plants one bit!

Two distinct phenos of AutoGambian, one with a more compact structure, around 60cm, nice tight nugs that are getting very frosty. smell isn't too strong but if you rub it the scent explodes. I am impressed and I think this would make a good pheno for discrete growing. i call it the silver (Ag) pheno. (Ag = autogambian = silver)

gallery_7978_4801_995177.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_860496.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_996251.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_536632.jpg

the other one (exactly the opposite) looks like more of a straight up Gambian than an auto gambian :P pure sativa, very hazy structure, thin leaves, slow flowering. I don't have a name for it. smells extremely strong, something coffee like, and it stinks up the entire room.

gallery_7978_4801_831904.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_13551.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_805962.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_92811.jpg

I was running on 18/6 till now. shifted the flowering room to 14/10 yesterday because I need to start flowering the NBD x SZ as well, I plan on being here no longer than the end of april.

I think I may have a mild potassium deficiency on my hands. The ppm isn't too high though, I am playing it safe.

gallery_7978_4801_179463.jpg

Question: When am I supposed to start using the PK 13/14? Also, when can i stop using the grow part of the ferts? is it when the plant has stopped stretching?

Here is the first NBD x SZ plant:

gallery_7978_4801_285254.jpg

this girl really has some vigour...doesn't drink much water but man does she drink nutes!

Here is one of the youngest NBD x SZ seedlings. They were on veg for a week (18/6) after which they were also shifted to 14/10. I think it's been 2-3 weeks since they were sown.

gallery_7978_4801_682093.jpg

Aerial view ;)

gallery_7978_4801_1163080.jpg

The outdoor grow is going to start with about 150-200 plants.

I am definitely going to purchase a pack of mandala's safari mix - the results I got with it last time are enough to call me back, at 1 pound a seed.

Another thing I have been wanting to do for a long time is to see how legit KC brains seeds are. I've heard they're a lot better for outdoor than indoors. We will see. KC Brains KC 33 and Leda Uno will be put to the test.

Same with Mr. Nice Walkabout - a real pack of gems, 15 beans for 20 quid, not a bad deal.

I wanted to buy Sugar Punch and Lady Cane, but I guess my timing wasn't right.

Then, for the USC gear that I've been waiting to indulge in...

Durgan Chitral, we will see how this dark lady fairs.

Double Jam - these seeds will compete with the best of my best indian seeds. we'll see which ones gets bigger and which one takes longer!

I am going to ask for one of the outdoor crosses for sure. Sannie's Jack x Heribei sounds interesting...Then again, so does FatRasta's Athina Landrace. So does Casey Jones x Green Manalishi. Choices, choices...

Anyways, these were hard enough choices to make. I've been wanting to try some real deal AK 47, Amnesia, Kali Mist, Old School Bubba Kush, GSC, Cheese, Diesel...these are all things you folks are probably used to and/or tired of, but all i'm used to is native indian landraces (for the large part) so my wishlist is fairly within reach.

The rest of the plants in the farm are going to be:

Auto Gambians

Crosses between Malawi, Indian, NBD and SZ genetics

Native South Indian Landraces

Charas plants from the himalayas

Some really interesting things coming up. going to get the 500sq feet greenhouse fabricated. it's primarily for vegetable seedlings but after the seedlings are done, it's going to be practically empty... ;)

• Like 3

so i was out of town from the 13th to the 18th. here's the result

the shorter, faster Auto Gambian

gallery_7978_4801_957411.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_63852.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_101394.jpg

I'm thinking maybe a week or two to finish? I just started using PK 13/14, I was wondering if it was time to start flushing?

very happy with the trichs for right now. some pretty fucking decent coverage imo. ordering a jeweller's loupe to get a more accurate idea for these last few indoor plants.

and then on the complete opposite end of the spectrum...

the almost 100% sativa Auto Gam:

gallery_7978_4801_570205.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_14616.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_1124607.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_516492.jpg

gallery_7978_4801_766872.jpg

this is the girl i really have some interest in. she's just started developing trichs now when the other one is almost done. I think she has at least 4-5 weeks left but i'm not sure if the autoflowering genetics will hasten that process, or even if the process will abruptly stop midway due to the slight delay caused before the HPS switch. is it time to start PK for this lady? and is it time to start flushing the other gambian?

the SZ x NBD seeds - nothing too interesting. after the shift to 14/10 (on the 12th) they are stretching and getting bigger, but the stretch is still quite limited, or so it seems. I'm not sure if they responded to the 14/10 as 'flower time' or not, so I shifted it to 13/11 this week as I can't see pistils anywhere. In all likelihood, it will stay at 13/11 for the remainder of the grow methinks.

Regarding the outdoor grow, there have been some strain changes.

I decided it's time to get a realistic view of things and pick up strains that will grow well FOR SURE in my climate - or more importantly, in my photoperiod. From sannie's shop, that would probably translate to col/jam and double jam. col/jam being out of stock, I will be picking up two packs of USC's Double Jam, and then will head over to attitude and pick up three packs of ACE seeds' tropical mix. This seems to be very promising. I think it'd be better for me to use strains suited for the environment rather than suit the environment to my strains.

Thoughts or advice, both are very much welcome

Best Vibes

El Chupa

• Like 2

Hi Chup,

I think I have the same "sativa" pheno growing:

gallery_1115_750_738784.jpg

The auto-trait will not speed up the process at the end.

The SZ x NBD will have limited stretch, because both parents have a short size.

Good luck with all plants and plans.

• Like 2

I was wondering if anyone with experience using fertilisers and PK 13/14 could give me some suggestions on when exactly to use it and for how long? and also, is the first plant ready to flush?

gallery_7978_4801_593743.jpg

this is the main cola from the small autogambian. i maybe got 8 grams off of her but i wasn't expecting much. the high is very sativa, a couple of drags is what it takes to get it to hit the center of the forehead.

will tell more about taste when it dries, but i don't think it's anything great in the terpene department. that, i'm counting on the other one. pics soon.

sorry been busy setting up my farm as of late

• Like 1