#1 BalzaSteel

Dazed 'n' Confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4006 posts
  • Interests:Grokking

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:45 AM

Hi All :wave:

I started up a new cab a couple months ago, it's a work in progress and looks a bit rough due to being made almost completely of recycled wood, nails, and screws, couldn't figure out how to recycle glue :)

here's my Glowing Growing Dildo of Dankness, Digibryte 400w HPS ballast dimmable to 75%,50%, right now it's running at 50%, 19"(~48cm) x 6"(15cm) cooltube..
Posted Image

I built the reflector myself, easy peasy, the big fan to the left of the dildo, er, cooltube draws air from the grow cab during the winter, during the summer about half the intake air is drawn from a cooler room through the back side of the box the cooltube is sitting on

the exhaust goes out through the cooltube pulled by a couple 75cf/m (sorry, no Idea how to convert to cubic m) and through an activated charcoal tray filter filter in the big box the fan box is sitting on, sorry, my camera was outta batteries when I put it together so no pics of the filter, I'll get some when I change it in a couple months.

went with a v-scrog to maximize my area, here's a pic of my current sun worshiper :)
Posted Image

and with the light cancellation setting, not sure why I like this pic.
Posted Image

seen in a better light :rolleyes: High def pic so you can zoom in.
Posted Image

She's not so pretty from this side
Posted Image

GrowRoom
Posted Image
my basil and garlic chives are doing well, and you can just see a couple of tomatoes on that sad looking tomato plant in the back corner, oh, and there's a few pot plants in there too :)

and a mess
Posted Image

the bud cab is 30" (75cm) x 35"(80cm) x 40"(105cm) high, and the grow cab is 18"(45cm) x 30"(75cm) x 34"(~85cm) high.

I'll be turning the top left into a mother keeper, and the section between the grow cab and the flower cab is about 10 inches(25cm) high, all my electronics will be in here, inside an air cooled and soundproofed fireproof box
I'm planning on keeping my mother plant in the top left cab, the last one needed 21 1/2 hours of light to keep the males from flowering, and on the right I'm experimenting with using shorter photoperiods for seedlings to get more females, doubt it works but I'll try almost anything once, twice if I'm not sure I didn't like it :)

I'll be using organics except on my mother plant, I need to be able to adjust nutes rapidly on her so she gets miracle grow, how can I treat my mother so horribly? :)

just a note, by organics I mean the use of natural organic substances, by organic I mean chemical compounds made from organic sources.

Pots:
plastic 4" plastic >1 Gal plastic and if I plan on flowering them, 5 gallon (19L) smart pots once they've decided whether they want to pitch or catch, otherwise I graft them onto my mother and kill them, I save a couple cutting in the fridge just incase the graft doesn't take, which hasn't happened yet.

Soil:
Promix HP and worm casting mixed at two to one, I'm experimenting with higher percentages of WC, jurys still out. I
I'll also be experimenting with replacing the promix with coir, it's a bit more environmentally friendly

fertilizer:
I use fortified worm casting with high nitro Guano for veg and high Phosphorus Guano for flower, and I feed my worms powdered egg shells, green sand, and glacial rock dust, and eggshell lime.

When I transplant once they've shown sex I put em in a 5 Gal Smart Pot about 1/3 to 1/2 full depending how long I want to veg them, if I'm vegging for longer I need to fertilize more so I leave more room.

In veg I apply a couple inches of worm castings when they look like they'll need it in a few days (it's an art rather than a science :) ) usually once every 2-3 weeks, sometimes I scratch in an extra tablespoon of guano if they're heavy feeders.

I usually scratch in some of high N guano when I flip them and then top off the pots with worm castings fortified with high P guano about two weeks in and scratch in guano whenever I think they'll need it soon, how much depends on what I think they'll need.

Thats about it for now, after all that typing I need a nap :)

y'all stay safe

BalzOut
"Evil wears every possible mitten"

JUST SAY NO To Strain Name Acronyms

HOW TO UPLOAD PICTURES, scroll down to post #12

The NutHouse (grow journal)

#2 BagWell

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:26 PM

hahaha cool dildo can i ask you instead of them light bulbs why not just go purchase some 24 or 54 watt sun blaster T5 Ho's telling yeah bro they kick ass

Ps all your missing is a breaker bar on wall out let prior to everything plugging in might save you from a melt down :)

Edited by BagWell, 13 February 2015 - 12:27 PM.

#3 BalzaSteel

Dazed 'n' Confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4006 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:57 AM

Hey BW

good catch on the surge protector, I backstabbed a box with a circuit breaker built into the plugin itself, just assumed that since the power was going through that plugin it would be good enough, now it's bugging me, I better get a circuit breaker plug in for the grow room as well, it's kinda like using two rubbers.

I looked at sunblasters a couple years ago, decided that the cost would make several of my scotch ancestors turn over in their graves so I went with CFl's, I've grown a pound or 3 of dank under them too :)

also when I'm getting a plant ready for the flower side I need a vertical light with about the same aspect as the vertical HPS so I can scrog and train it for flower and t-5, even as short as to feet would be too long.

at the moment I'm playing with the idea of ordering some cheap LED's from china and making a 55w water cooled vertical LED for the grow side, if it works out I'll build another bigger one for the flower side, probably 200w with adjustable spectrum.

I'm also planning a new cabinet, this cab just isn't stealthy enough which makes me a bit uncomfortable, think I'm gonna design BedBox 2.0, give me an excuse to buy a new bed, king sized :) . speaking of wich, think I'll go post BedBox 1.0 so folks can find it easily.

Stay Safe

BalzOut.

#4 BagWell

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

you know it i have seen to many times a timer melt due to pluging it straight into a wall then plugging ballast into timer since adding proper joule surge protectors i can sleep better at night

#5 BalzaSteel

Dazed 'n' Confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4006 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

Oh Noes, is that a hermi I see?

Posted Image

nope, if you're going to put a grafted mother plant in flower I highly recommend removing all the male grafts, fortunately this feller is a Jillybean, so the seeds will definitely be worth popping.

think I may be able to save a bit of pollen :)

Stay Safe

BalzOut

#6 BalzaSteel

Dazed 'n' Confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4006 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:33 AM

We're hoping for girls

Posted Image

jilly bean X Jilly bean, jilly bean X ortega indica, and jillybean X CBD Lullabye, should be worth popping a few.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

#7 BalzaSteel

Dazed 'n' Confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4006 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

Hi all :waves

Well, it's harvest time, she filled out better than I expected for getting pollinated so early in flower
Posted Image

the purplest pheno of Ortega indica, temps were a bit higher than last run so less purple :(
Posted Image

love these little seed clusters :)

Posted Image

It'll be at least a couple weeks before I start my next run, the grafts are still setting :).

Stay Safe

BalzOut

#8 saxo

GroMagnon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6006 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:27 PM

very nice,Balza!!
is this DutchPassion´s Ortega Indica? i never had purple ones :(

"Good People don´t smoke Marijuana"

Jeff Sessions

#9 BalzaSteel

Dazed 'n' Confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4006 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:55 PM

Thanx Saxo :)

They are from Dutch Passion, I'm kinda wondering if it was just low temps at night that brought out the purple, I had one that was green as grass :rolleyes: and both of the seeds I gave a buddy came out green as well.

I'm pretty pleased with them, enough so that considering trying Dutch Passions Purple #1, just considering though, it'll be 6 months or so before I finish popping this sativa mix I got from sannie, speaking of which, had I known the seeds would be separated by strain I would have bought it years ago, along with the indica mix, sigh, so many seeds, so little room.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

#10 robogro

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2654 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:36 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image well done Balz
Plant a seed..grow some weed
(I'm not an expert grower or a Connoisseur by any means)

robo

how to load and post pictures, post # 12 by Vito!

#11 gregster

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2813 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:33 AM

Thumbs up Balz.

#12 BalzaSteel

Dazed 'n' Confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4006 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:30 AM

Hi All :)
Been a while but there hasn't been much going on in the bud cab.

(Arcata) Trainwreck X Sweet tooth from Beanho

Posted Image

Posted Image

not sure what the hell is going on here, this is a retired mom with several strains grafted on, I've grown all of them except the CBD Lullaby (Chimera) with minimal stretch, but a week in they've stretched as much as any thing I've ever grown.

Posted Image

temps are a bit higher than I like but still staying under 85 with the light set at 200w, gonna have to do something about that before I move my Sannies Jack in in a week or two.

y'all stay safe

BalzOut

#13 Misterdirt

Quiet Desperado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8948 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR Heart Racing

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:45 AM

This is the first grow where I've seen a Beanho product. Looks good from here.
Place no head above your own.
-- Gotama The Buddha

#14 BalzaSteel

Dazed 'n' Confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4006 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:27 PM

View PostMisterdirt, on 28 May 2015 - 07:45 AM, said:

This is the first grow where I've seen a Beanho product. Looks good from here.

here's a couple pics of Beanho's Haze Hybrid mix

Posted Image

Posted Image

I grew a couple more, trainwreck X Purple (or maybe Pakistani) Chitral Kush and trainweck X Black Widow, the haze hybrid was good and theTW X BW was great, didn't rename the pics so I don't know which was which. Still have a few of the TW X BW, might start some more soon.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

#15 starinhazy

Trapped in time and I don't know what to do

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2257 posts
  • Interests:Family, friends, growing, learning, enjoying life, Concentrates, Seeds/genetics, hydroponics, organics, composting, Phish, Twiddle, Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

looking great in here, enjoy the vertical!
Sanity never came my way....
You'll never get out of this maze...
Relax and Dream...
oH Hi!...:)

#16 BalzaSteel

Dazed 'n' Confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4006 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:05 AM

Thanx Hazy, it's been rewarding so far :)

Photo Session this morning.

This chick is just wrapping herself around the Glowing Growing Dildo of Dankness, as much stretch as I've ever had, glad i built the big cabinet :)
Posted Image

CBD Lullaby (Chimera)

Posted Image

This (arcata)TrainWreck X Sweet tooth (Beanho) is nice and compact.

Posted Image

And sticky

Posted Image

Temps are down a bit, between 70 and 80, humidity is up, 60-80 :(

Stay Safe

BalzOut

#17 starinhazy

Trapped in time and I don't know what to do

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2257 posts
  • Interests:Family, friends, growing, learning, enjoying life, Concentrates, Seeds/genetics, hydroponics, organics, composting, Phish, Twiddle, Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:09 AM

That Trainwreck cross really likes what you are doing to her, I am trying my first vertical light grow in a box, running it bare bulb and at 4 weeks so far so good. Keep it up and thanks for sharing
Sanity never came my way....
You'll never get out of this maze...
Relax and Dream...
oH Hi!...:)

#18 BalzaSteel

Dazed 'n' Confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4006 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:51 AM

hi all

Thanks Hazy, I'm blaming my success on the genetics :)

The vertical grow is ... interesting to say the least, I think scrogging is a bit more difficult and a really stretchy plant is a pain in the ass.

looks like the (Arcata) Trainwreck X Sweet tooth (Beanho) is just about ready to chop

Posted Image

frosty

Posted Image

The CBD Lullaby (Chimera) is a freakin' trainwreck, wasn't at all ready for the stretch on this plant

Posted Image

Fairly frosty though, think she threw a nanner or two, looks like there may be a seed or two, no biggy, she's going to be made into tinctures and salves for my mom.

Posted Image

I'll be flipping a Sannies Jack in the next couple days and I Popped a (Arcata) Trainwreck X Black Widow yesterday, looking forward to flowering that one.

Y'all Stay Safe

BalzOut

#19 DreamOfGreen

being a dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:57 AM

i'm a fan of growing vert style but it seems counter intuitive to use a reflector. what makes vertical efficient is to have a canopy 360 degrees around the bulb.
you grow some beautiful girls but i think you'd get a bigger yield if you get rid of the reflector and add at least two more plants, trained the same way, to use all the light and space available.
i was recently diagnosed as schizophrenic, i don't know how i feel about that.

and nether do i.

#20 Roodni

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:31 AM

Looks damn nice man :) I love your grow boxes - novel, and they work!