•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

BalzaSteel

Growing Stealth, Collection of stealth micro grows

Hi All :wave:

I thought I'd start a collection of stealth grows so new growers can find them easily, the idea being to help those who would like to grow but are too worried about the consequences of others finding out that they're growing get their toes in the water so to speak :)

I hope y'all will post your stealth grows here as well.

here's the last cab I used, ran it for a bit over 2 years, no Idea how much weed I grew in it, it was several pounds though.

gallery_3485_3879_987123.jpg I use a simple tray made outta hardware cloth and nylons to hold just over a pound (a half kilo) of activated charcoal for a scrubber, works much better than I expected, needs to be changed every six months, and all together cost just over $100 less than a can filter.

Don't ya just love my high tech fasteners :)

I was finally able to master the heat by separating my LED's from the bud area with this chunk of plywood, while the LED's produce less heat than CFLs, the way the cooling fans pull air from the top and blow it out the sides makes cooling a major pain in a short cab.

Everything is wired inside steel boxes, safety first. all my fans run off a 12v adapter, went with tri-cools so I'd have a bit of control over fan speed but they're too loud on anything but low so it didn't help much. gallery_3485_3879_2331708.jpg the inside dimensions are 26" wide by 12 1/2 inches deep, by 21 inches high, (65cm X31.25cm x 52.5cm) a tad cramped, but it keeps me and my worms pretty high :) just the one plant in flower at the moment, Beanho's Haze Hybrid Mix, as you can see it's worth 2 bucks a seed, sorry for the crappy pics. gallery_3485_3879_647918.jpg gallery_3485_3879_2225055.jpg

As you can see it grew great weed :)

I've got a couple more, I'll post them later.

y'all stay safe

BalzOut

• Like 9

converted freezer

gallery_6278_2827_29266.jpg

too much heat with the 430w, so there is a 150w and some cfls

gallery_6278_2827_13447.jpg

gallery_6278_2827_108848.jpg

I use it as a drying box now

gallery_6278_2827_123745.jpg

• Like 12

I'm more of a macro-carpenter. I want to build a hidden room. You know, the kind where you remove a book from the shelf and the wall slides aside? That's what I want in my next house.

• Like 5

Thats awesome robo :)

I'm more of a macro-carpenter. I want to build a hidden room. You know, the kind where you remove a book from the shelf and the wall slides aside? That's what I want in my next house.

I'm going to use one or two of these secret latches in my next cab.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

• Like 1

@saxo u have sharp eyes and u see the problem if u dream too big and only have 2 hands it could last forever:) or u must upgrade

gallery_8258_4407_138239.jpg

@robo nice idea thanks for showing:)

• Like 4

great topic!!! awesome stealth cabs :tu

@ hidronesia: looks like inside the Pyramid of Cheops h0403.gif

80.gif now I see how to build Pyramids , good stuff, good luck and happy building hidronesia

• Like 3

that's awesome hidron, can't wait to see how it turns out.

that secret room has certainly given me some Ideas robo, lol, like I need another growroom project :)

here's my old grow tub, she's my rubber maid baby and we can grow it all :)

this is nice for those who don't have a lot of tools or carpentry skills, the basic tub is a contractor's tote made by gracious living, most building supply stores sell them hereabouts, got mine at home depot. use krylon spray paint to paint the inside, it's made for plastic and will stick without any prep work. always spray paint in a well ventilated area, outside works best if you can swing it, otherwise in the bathroom with the fan cranked and take a break every 3 or 4 minutes, be sure to use a drop cloth, spay paint is a bitch to clean off.

gallery_3485_3879_836748.jpg

gallery_3485_3879_2314832.jpg

the top doesn't have to be plywood, any fairly stiff fire resistant material will work, if it's not stiff enough just hot glue a couple strips to it for strength.

the scrubber is just a piece of wire mesh with pantyhose stretched across to keep the activated charcoal from falling through, I get my activated charcoal from pet stores. I'll post more on scrubber itself in it's own thread so folks can find it easier.

all wiring inside steel boxes, safety first.

the one pain of this system is that you can't set the top down, it has to be set on another tub/box or hung from the ceiling to avoid dumping the scrubber or breaking the CFls

gallery_3485_3879_3450189.jpg

whole lotta revegging going on

gallery_3485_3879_524399.jpg

92mm 3 speed exhaust fan, the circulation fan is a coolermaster 200mm, 65 w of 6500k CFL is all the power I need to veg.the tub is on wheels which means there's a gap between the bottom of the tub and the floor, so a few minutes with a drill is all it took to make an intake, the lid off an 18 gallon tote rests on a couple shims to keep it off the floor, if you use a tub without wheels be sure to use a couple spacers under the tub as well.

the lid has ribs that make a 1/4 inch gap between the lid and the rim of the tub all the way around, perfect for the exhaust.

I never used this for flower, not that it wouldn't work just have to use better weather stripping around the top and change it every few months, or one could throw a dark cloth over it.

a much better way to go would be to set the plywood just inside the top of the tub instead of on top, that way no light could get in, even without weather strip, it's a bit of work though and would require a coping saw ($10). as an added bonus the lid would sit all the way down and latch shut, you could put a lock on it as well, I didn't bother 'cause I figured that a lock would just make people curious.

All told including bulbs and activated charcoal and spray paint it cost about $75 and an afternoon to put together.

y'all stay safe

BalzOut

• Like 10

What a great thread and of course even greater cabs!

Thanx for the pics guys!

Hi All :)

This was my flower bed, kept me stoned for over a year, also kept me from freezing my ass off 'cause the landlord was a cheapskate

I would NEVER have started growing again if i hadn't thought of this as my kid was still living with me.

gallery_3485_4370_468584.jpg

gallery_3485_4370_232513.jpg

gallery_3485_4370_401279.jpg

if you take a look at the powerbar you'll see that the one plug is plugged into two different outlets, took me nearly a year to notice that, since then I check ALL my wiring and extension cords every sunday

Flower cab, intake in left rear corner, 2x tricool 92mm

gallery_3485_4370_408580.jpg

Grow cab, can't really see the exhaust/filter was running one tricool 120mm but had to add a second one when summer rolled around.

gallery_3485_4370_61944.jpg

I have a bunch more pictures, on a dvd that I've forgotten the password too, guess I'll never have to worry about those being used against me in court :)

Y'all stay safe

BalzOut

• Like 12

@Blaza that bed is one of the best im sure IKEA would buy the plans:)

if u guys feel too much power ... under a small garage there is plenty of space

under the carpet

gallery_8258_4564_1218.jpg

it is from the hidden room upwards

gallery_8258_4564_13748.jpg

• Like 4

nice hydron, my back aches just thinking about how much work that must have been. :grinning_respect:

Stay Safe

BalzOut

• Like 1

@Blazasteel u are right that project was risky tricky and tiring..

started with a dream

because i hadnt place for the girls

I got a crazy idea.. lets make a room under the garage!!!

after the first weeks I was hipnotized by my visualization from the ready room and monthes started to run

just for inspiration

gallery_8258_4564_64980.jpg

• Like 3

Chapeau! , ....the mini Wheel-loader and these steel bracing ....quite professionel,hidro :specool

i hope,you don´t get floodings,where youare

If I could give this more likes I would balza. You have pleasantly surprised me. Fantastic beanho documentation (don't see much). I grow beanho myself from time to time.

You need to go into your gallery and change it from private to public so we can see the pics.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

• Like 1

yea i don't know how or why but I cant see hydro's pictures either

all the rest is to crazy :D

thought I'd copy this here

HI All :wave:

it's been a year or so but I finally got around to changing my DIY carbon filter and thought I'd post a couple pics.

this ain't rocket science, the air go through da activated carbon (AKA activated charcoal) and bad smells get caught so you don't :)

carbon in

gallery_3485_4876_91357.jpg

carbon out

gallery_3485_4876_22561.jpg

my batteries died so I didn't get as many pictures as I'd have liked.

I use a couple pounds of activated charcoal from the fish section of the pet store, costs about $20.

the wire mesh supports the weight of the activated charcoal and the mosquito netting keeps the carbon from falling through the wire, I used this quarter inch stucco mesh because I had it on hand, I think a 1"-1 1/2" mesh would work as well or better, stiffness is what's important.

in a bigger filter like this one I put a prop in the middle to keep the mesh from sagging.

this filter is made from wood simply because it needs to support the cooltube and plants sitting on top of it, normally I'd use the corrugated plastic they make signs from, but these filters can be made from a cardboard box just as easily .

As a rule of thumb I like at least 2 square inches per cubic foot of air per minute, more is better, less will work fine if you're not growing something extra stinky, I've gone as low as 1 square inch per cubic foot per minute with no problems.

I level out the charcoal with an old prepaid credit card with lines drawn on it in felt pen to measure the depth, just slide it through like you're swiping a credit card, and of course the card works well to scrape the charcoal around to level it as well.

I add my activated carbon be weight rather than by depth because it can be coarser or finer depending on the brand, coarser carbon needs to be deeper to provide enough surface area to absorb smells, while finer carbon won't allow enough airflow if it's too deep.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

• Like 6

Wow theres sum cool stealthiness goin' on in this thread :) Nice work fer realz dudes! That hidden wall is 1 level, that bed is friggin' genius....

• Like 1