•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

starinhazy

Starinhazy's Sinister Summer with Sugar Punch and others

It has to start somewhere....

gallery_8754_4991_33055.jpg

Before I dive into my antics underway, here are a few bud shots from my last grow. Personally I like seeing bud shots when I open OG :dribble:

MzDrzz

Took another run with this clone great structure on the plant and phenomenal flowers.some of the densest foxtails I have encountered. From Sinister Seeds

Cut at 70/71 days

gallery_8754_4991_6921366.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_2635042.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_2103759.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_632870.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_5549850.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_4077738.jpg

Dried and pre cure…..

gallery_8754_4991_2222681.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_3252510.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_2777682.jpg

KA Kush (she had PM come back again, she is on her last run now..) Also Sinister

gallery_8754_4991_2699297.jpg

Also ran me some Dynasty Seeds Caramel Candy Kush: Clipped around 70-74 days.

gallery_8754_4991_72380.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_2651992.jpg

look @ the frost on the undercarriage here….

gallery_8754_4991_1006879.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_1569467.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_1177161.jpg

And also had a nice run of some E$cob@r Chocolate Rain, still loving on this plant, she gets some hard foxtails too.

gallery_8754_4991_1253167.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_36214.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_412691.jpg

Had some changes in real life, I moved into a 95% work from home role when my company closed our local office. This afforded me the opportunity of grabbing some office supplies and as part of those activities secured a couple more cabinets. :) As such, about a month ago I converted one, so now I have thing 1 and thing 2, Needless to say should be extra productive as I have increased my space. I am going to stagger them and hopefully get to the point of harvest every 4-6 weeks.

So here are some basics for the run, I will have two setups:

Thing 1 - the original cab. Same setup as usual, 400 W digital ballast in a vented hood, hydro system, 12 spots.

I am running a new nute regimen this round from mbferts. They have their own powdered food and since they have been great on other merch, figured I would give this a spin, especially since my local hydro guy decided to flip the script and drop my jungle juice, so check in on this journal if you have looked into their nutes, I’ll be using them and will share and report results. I also implemented a Solistek MH 6K, for veg in Thing 1, plants are responding well, and definitely seeing some nice growth. This cab has been in Veg now for just about 3 weeks.

Thing 1 Lineup:

(4) Chucky Bride

(3) Sugar Punch

(2) MzDrzz (Ms U x Drizz)

(1) Chocolate Rain

(1) KO Kushx(CJxGM)

(1) Lemon thai

Thing 1

gallery_8754_4991_5760471.jpg

Thing 2 - new cab, been in bloom for about 3.5 weeks, Running a 400W Magnetic ballast bare bulb setup, hortilux, inspired by Indi, I have to give this method a try. Also changed things up and I am running a organic soil mix, based mainly around the Rev’s formula, but I don’t have feather meal and few other ingredients (oyster shells, alfalfa husks and a couple other). I’ll post a list of whats in here in a bit, once I pull that up. I am excited about the christening run for this voyager, she is getting some of my older Mom’s and some other plants I had that just needed to get going. Some of the Mom’s had PM a cycle ago, and PM came back to visibly show itself around week 4 in the last flower run, I am done with the struggle and sending them for final bloom. Thing 2 is planned to be about 4 weeks ahead of thing 1 in general, this should afford me with more turns.

Her current lineup:

(3) KA Kush

(2) KO Kush

(4) Caramel Candy Kush

(1) Chuck Bride

(1) MzDrzz (Ms Uni x Drizz)

(3) Raining Caramel Kush ((CRxKOK)xCCK)

(1) (CRxKO Kush)x Blue Chem

(2) DeathStar x (Huck/Silverfield/Choco Rain?) ((2) diff pheno)

Overall in here things are looking great. Soil seems to be holding its own and allowing me with some more flexibility, as soil affords me some freedom to move things around that I just don’t get with Hydro.

Thing 2

KA Kush

gallery_8754_4991_1931843.jpg

MzDrzz

gallery_8754_4991_3106275.jpg

Overview of box

Week 2:

gallery_8754_4991_943524.jpg

Week 3:

gallery_8754_4991_6777.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_4207374.jpg

Death Star x Huck Kush (these were test clones for determining sex, I have two females!!

gallery_8754_4991_3212887.jpg

KO Kush

gallery_8754_4991_4471603.jpg

Brain Rain x Blue Chem (Personal Cross I made (Brain Rain (Chocolate Rain x KO Kush)), never ran before, she’s a lady!)

gallery_8754_4991_1042049.jpg

Caramel Candy Kush

gallery_8754_4991_253345.jpg

I will try to post again soon to catch you up on where this is at soon, I am a week behind on pics. thanks for looking and feel free to comment and what not, it's that dialog that helps keep these threads moving. enjoy :likken:

• Like 20

So much happiness while reading this! !!!! Great to see the thing 1 and thing 2. Love the different grow mediums and styles also.

Strains are amazing and great to see you running some of your own seeds as well.

Definitely following along.

Also thanks for the bud shots, I agree with you about the pictures.

• Like 1

Hey starin, looking good and interesting to see that you have two styles going. A side by side grow is allways great and exciting cuz of the direct comparison!

I Grab a chair.

Have a Nice Weekend

• Like 1

FINALLY!!!

Haha - just kidding...Nice job on the new thing. looking sweet so far. I was wondering what you were up to and now I know.

Hope you have a sinister summer, Starin'

• Like 3

Those are some fine looking MzDrizz buds! I passed on popping those this past season, because I already had a strain with Ms. U. as one of the parents going.

• Like 3

Thanks Islay - been a while since I could do any extra time on internet, some of this other offline stuff takes so much time away, but its all good, just gotta prioritize. so psyched on this edition, the area is a lil bigger in thing 2. The bare bulb is quite amazing, long as I keep a fan blowing on the bulb, really keeping the temps better than the vented hood. Will be interesting to see when we get to the heat of summer, but call me impressed. Got a lil leaf burn on a CCK that was getting to close, but thats my fault, tied her back and she's fine, just some waterleaf.

@Karma - Decided to kick it up a notch, I feel like I can do hydro almost in my sleep so the organics will push me to learn more. Built a base soil and cooked over the winter/early spring, trial run in my seed box went well so kicking out to this level to see if I can work it. Trying to "team with microbes". Lots to learn so keeps it fun. I will get to try the side by side and see for myself on "differences".

@MM420 - I hear ya, but you know how it is, should be a good time and hoping for a good thread, so psyched for these death star crosses, can't believe I got 2/2 females. Hoping for some great things with those. Mom's have a similar structure but #2 is a lil more stretchy, time will tell. Hope things are good and green where you be.

@Saxo - hope you enjoy da show and spectacle. Gonna try and make this a horrifically devious run, got new samples and some clones to keep it full, but also just cracked up some new beans too, so there are others on deck, this train is just getting started...

@MrD - You can see the buds, what are you waiting for? I would recommend popping a couple if you got them, She is an impressive plant and from what I have read about what you like, this one seems like she is right up there for what you look for, lots of sativa rush and uppity, fun, but kinda winds down like a indica and if you hammer too much on the front side, you can see the indica side sooner than later, very bright unique taste too. I am taking a clone or two today off her in thing 1 today as I just flipped to 12/12 last night with that one. all boxes are in bloom right now! I am going so pumped. I will finally get to make some REAL BUD BHO in the near future! so stoked, stay tuned. things getting funky up in here, fortunately the filters are working great and the CAN FANS are moving, looking great and can't smell a thing. so enjoy this hobby, keep'em green

• Like 4

Well look at you with new gear and sp. I'd lick your face like an excited dog if you were standing in front of me. Happy growing !!!!!!!

• Like 1

awesome to see you expanding your space. i bet your gonna consider being done with hydro by theend of the year. i think hydroponics is cool as hell, but to bring out the best in flavors, smells and tastes there's something about a girl grown in living soil that adds subtle nuances to the finished product that gives it a step up in quality.

if you can attach some netting or cut out a piece of wire fencing that will fit in against the cabs walls you could tie girls back against the walls and make the canopy so you wouldn't be able to see much white through the green.

after the fist couple training sessions it would make the plants pretty hard to move around like you said you like to. i completely understand that, i've made each of my girls there own rear scrog so that i can move each one independently. you wouldn't be able to with what i'm suggesting, but you'll make the best use of light by getting as much plant matter as possible to get hit directly with light from the bulb. imagine how you train a horizontal canopy and add two more sides. i think you're better at training than i am so if you get everything dialed in and have girls trained to maximize light and space you could really up your yields.

are you still getting pm issues? man that shit sucks. i got an ozone generator after loosing about 10 percent of one round than close to half of the next. a few times a year i take every living thing out and flood each room with o3 and don't have any more prbblms. knock on wood.

• Like 3

@Dream - I will probably get more into that as time progresses. This is my first experiment with Bare bulb so I wanted to make access as easy as I can, with the netting and such, that requires I elevate my game a bit more. Give me time I am sure she will evolve....I wanted to see how hard it was going to be to avoid bud burn, arm burn and leaf burn and then also controlling environment....

We'll see not the abandoning of hydro, I am close, but it has been my go to for so long, I work with clones and smaller one better in that stage, I always seem to lose more early on when I am straight soil, but I try not to overwatch them....

So to catch y'all up, these are yesterday.

Thing 1

Key - CB - Chucky Bride / SP Sugar Punch / CR - Chocolate Rain / MZD - MzDrzz / KOKushx (CJxGM) / LT - Lemon Thai (its tiny and was started from seed while all others were clones

gallery_8754_4991_2011414.jpg

Overhead view

gallery_8754_4991_1930449.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_1214813.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_1153006.jpg

Chuckys Brides

gallery_8754_4991_609701.jpg

Sugar Punch and lil Lemon Thai

gallery_8754_4991_3413646.jpg

Sugar Punch / Lemon Thai / MzDrzz

gallery_8754_4991_1425708.jpg

Sugar Punch

gallery_8754_4991_1684506.jpg

Thing 2

Overall

gallery_8754_4991_181385.jpg

Another angle

gallery_8754_4991_1718015.jpg

Brain Rain x Blue Chem

gallery_8754_4991_1330125.jpg

Closer

gallery_8754_4991_3428931.jpg

Caramel Candy Kush

gallery_8754_4991_3851718.jpg

CCK, with KO Kush closer and KA Kush behind and over top of CCK

gallery_8754_4991_3532913.jpg

CCK

gallery_8754_4991_4413457.jpg

Death Star 1

gallery_8754_4991_5201537.jpg

Death Star 2

gallery_8754_4991_4791293.jpg

KO Kush

gallery_8754_4991_1491073.jpg

All for now, they both look so healthy, the hydro are responding well to the new nutes will be mixing up my bloom shortly…

thanks for peeking in

• Like 9

Lovin it brutha! Bare bulb huh? Hmmm, wonder how thatll do hehehe!

A lil spoiler alert, Im doin a little breeding with MzDrizz...not gonna say what to just yet, but the MzDrizz are about 5' tall and mfing loaddddddddddded with seeds ;) Im bankin on a winning strain to develope, and Im not using Herijuana as a daddy :) Indi goin sativa :)

• Like 5

hey Indi don't wanna bother but that drop you was about to make end of may, is that the one with mzdrizz? :D

greetz!

and looking epic starin :D

• Like 1

@Indi - Bare bulb and my miniaturized knock off of the swimming pool concept, downsized for my situation..... I am using homemade grow bags and the roots will grow out of the bottom and into the trays....seems to be working well, even on the smaller bags, running some tests....

@Sav - thanks man - trying to get it flowing right and work these things.

• Like 4

Hey man, anything to get those roots goin nutty. Love those cabs...

The mz drizz cross will be august 1 or so. Everything was pollinated by May 26, so 7-8 weeks or so after May 26...

Some yall may want more than the mz drizz cross tho. Got really nice combos growin on ;)

I need cabs like this to breed. Free sounds so much better than buyin too lol

• Like 3

I bet u gonna like what u get!

For me its the Opposite, i can get very nice results with my dirt-grows but when it comes to hydro i have no clue.

I want to get myself this little Hydropot from atami (i guess its from them) and try in a little cab (60 x 60) with 200 Watts led...and see what happens :)

Have a Nice time!

Ay starin. You said the roots were trayed? Are you doing sort of nft. Or flood under them or are the growing in some sort of dwc solution or what's up with it exactly.

Or a mix?

@Indi - I am pumped, and yes these cabs would come in great for diff strain runs.....

@Karma - hoping for the best, been such a long time since I worked soil and now I am taking a diff approach with the teaming with microbes philosophies....

@100% - This is a third run on the MzDzz. I have a 2014 Sinister thread, where I ran these the first time, FYI, in case you missed it

@elwin - On Thing 2, I am using an Organic Soil and using some homemade grow bags made with landscaping fabric. Those bags sit in oversized trays of dirt, similar to the swimming pool method that Indi uses, when the roots reach bottom of bag normally they hit the air and spilt, but in this scenario the bottoms hit the dirt in the bottom of my trays and are able to keep growing right into the tray dirt bed, this is allowing them to continue growing without being changed into larger pots.

Still watering from the top, but making sure there is some moisture in the base tray to feed the roots that get free from the bag. Hope that helps...

• Like 6

another consideration for the future; run air stones to the bottom of the tubs with several inches of medium on top (lava rocks, grow rocks, clay pebbles, perlite, river rock, sand...) cover top with a piece of panda plastic that has been cut to fit around the plant's grow bags.

it's a hybrid of growing in soil and dwc. you still water from the top to keep soil life going, but prbly much less often than you need to now. water deep with half a gallon or more per plant once a week.

and if/when you need to leave for any length of time just make sure the tub gets filled to cover the top of the stones and they'll be good for more than a week.

the air stones make it impossible to over water and as long as you don't let the roots run dry should boost the plants growth.

• Like 1

@Dream - Thanks for that idea, perhaps something to look at should I need to do some extended trips. I got a Blumat system and will be messing around with that over the next week or two, as I would like to dial that in, but have some learning to do there as some pots are at different heights.

I cleaned up the bottoms of the plants this week, stripped out low/small branches and on longer branches took out short nodes closest to center as things are crowding up in here. I will be taking some shots soon, to get some progress updates, but all is looking well.

Had a CindyxLemon Thai that I was building up for clones show me that he is a male. Haven't had too many plants start to sex, just by changing light source, but he decided to show me whats up. My question is, being that he is still under 18/6 and he is switching over, would he be ok to breed with or is this a trait that I should run from? He went from Flouro > 400 hps > Flouro, light cycle was always 18/6 but now he's got some balls showing. I will take pics for next round, but any input or insight would be appreciated, trying to decide and had planned to cross if he was a male, at least with Chucky Bride, so I can get a three way of cheese, lemon thai, with a double dose of c99, sounds just delightful.....

• Like 2

far from an expert at selecting a dad, but my impression has been that the best males to use are usually the ones that show their boy parts last.

i know subcool has said that the best dad's to use to pass on drug traits are often not the most robust individuals. but that doesn't seem to be a rule written in stone.

• Like 1

I'm sure others would agree. You really need to keep a bunch of males, cross them to a known keeper female, then grow out the seeds and compare. I wish I had the room to do that.

• Like 5

me too Mr. d ..i like structure. his smell was loud..he had a decent taste after i chopped him. got a buzz lol..if they are good and i will tell ya in a couple months. i have some growing i a fine spot. no bugs or mold and we have had rain almost every evening. i sprayed all of them with the triple action safer shit. i think it works and also keeps the deer away. i don't have a male house. wish i did but guys i think that is not entirely the way it works. good moms produce good weed even bred to an average dude. i also elieve the male is the dominate factor in strong structure and limbs. just fng ramblin as i do when am fucked up..have a good day

• Like 3