•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

BeachBud

DIY Press for Glycerin / Tincture

I use infused glycerin as my main medicine. I use to make it about every 3 weeks because that was as much as could be made with the equipment I had. Recently I purchase a larger crock pot and canning jar so now I can make twice as much at a time. The only drawback to this larger amount was being able to efficiently press it out. I had been using a potato ricer with decent results though it left my hands aching afterwards. The ricer was not large enough to hold twice the amount so I had to come up with another way.

I have looked a various presses before but most were out of my price range or not to my liking. This is not an unusual occurrence in my life, it turns out I'm cheap and somewhat picky. So, I have had to adapt to not finding what I want at a price I can live with. In turn I have become a fair craftsman and enjoy a good DIY project.

I considered the various presses I had looked at and after some contemplation I came up with a simple design that met my needs. I found some 2"x3" boards at the lumber yard which were just the right size, 2x4's would have made a much bulkier product. I also bought corner braces, nuts and bolt and screws.

gallery_7905_5049_118740.jpg

Two things I was not able to source locally were the screw press and the heavy stainless bowls. Thanks to Amazon they were just a click or two away. The rest of the parts I found in my scrape bin.

Let's get started with the build. This is my own design and my intent was to make a press that was both simple and effective. Once I had the screw press and stainless bowls I was able to figure out sizing, I wanted to keep it as compact as possible. Having done that I broke out the chop saw and went to it. Here's what I came up with.

What I'll be making is basically a reinforced frame with a removable screw press. That frame will be mounted within a couple of legs so that it can pivot to accommodate pouring the pressed liquid into a bowl. I start by cutting the bottom and sides of the frame.

gallery_7905_5049_29074.jpg

The bottom and sides are screwed together with 2.5" screws. Then corner braces are added to both sides, front and back.

gallery_7905_5049_104940.jpg

To form the top braces that the screw press block will press against I chose 2 inch aluminum angle for its strength and light weight. I cut two pieces and bolted them to the top of the frame sides.

gallery_7905_5049_61536.jpg

gallery_7905_5049_128023.jpg

gallery_7905_5049_123065.jpg

The frame is coming together nicely. Time for a few tokes....after which I found a nice piece of 3/4" plywood that fit just right to make a base. I lopped the corners off to make it more sexy.

gallery_7905_5049_141763.jpg

gallery_7905_5049_72806.jpg

Now I need a couple pieces of wood for the press block to rest on when inserted in the top of the frame. I found a piece of cedar molding that worked great.

gallery_7905_5049_108703.jpg

That about does it for the frame.

gallery_7905_5049_133652.jpg

Time to make the screw press block which involves drilling a hole and inserting the screw guide.

gallery_7905_5049_98550.jpg

With the screw press block complete and inserted you can see better how it will all work.

gallery_7905_5049_80326.jpg

gallery_7905_5049_26250.jpg

All that's needed now are a couple of simple legs to support the frame and allow it to pivot. I bolt the frame to each leg at about the top of the stainless bowl. This will allow it to pivot and pour effectively. The entire frame is raised within the legs so that it is high enough to accommodate the receiving bowl underneath.

gallery_7905_5049_97410.jpg

gallery_7905_5049_74144.jpg

gallery_7905_5049_10310.jpg

There you have it. I finished/sealed the bare wood with boiled linseed oil. In theory it should work great but lets try it out for real on a recent batch of infused glycerin. After letting the finished glycerine/bud mix drain through a strainer lined with cheese cloth for several minutes I bundled the remaining bud mixture in the cheese cloth and tied it off. The ball of cheese cloth and bud goes in between the two stainless bowls and they are set on the base of the press. Then the screw press block is put in place and the pressing can begin.

gallery_7905_5049_58837.jpg

gallery_7905_5049_134641.jpg

gallery_7905_5049_142423.jpg

gallery_7905_5049_80225.jpg

gallery_7905_5049_12576.jpg

By golly it works! And best thing is my hands don't hurt any more than usual. :)

• Like 20

nice design BB . Love the tilt option as a practical solution to an old problem :)

I can relate to the easy on the hands, I've got a bad wrist, always hurting it pressing alcohol or oil out of my weed.

just thinking if someone was building one and couldn't get the fancy screw press assembly, one might use a piece of threaded rod and an impact driver instead.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

• Like 1

Try i must.....! Awesome post and info BB thanks a lot.

• Like 1

Thanks to all. :tu this was a fun project that makes my life a little easier and perhaps someone else as well.

To the medical users out there, if you have not tried infused glycerin I really urge you to give it a go. It is safe and easy to make and works more effectively than any other meds I've tried.

looks like solid craftmans work,Beach!! great DIY report,nicely pictured and easy to follow step by step :tu

i like most the "tip & pour" feature :pi_lightbulb:

• Like 1

Well thanks saxo, it is nice when an idea comes together and even better when others appreciate it as well. :)

• Like 2

woop you ain't got two left hands :D

super nice work might need to give it a try

and need to get my mom on this infused glycerin

• Like 1

many thanks gents. :)

Next up I'll be making some infused olive oil with bud scraps. I mix that with turmeric oil and bees wax to make an ointment for my arthritic fingers.

here's a redneck press for those of us who don't have BeachBuds design and fabrication skills, or shop :)

gallery_3485_4790_414087.jpg

Stay safe

BalzOut

• Like 6

Nice!

• Like 1

hey all :)

Just wanted to say that I forgot to clean up after I made the infused glycerin, left it in the potato ricer with the clamp on, next morning there was another 30 ml in the pan I used to catch the pressings, may not sound like much but considering I'd made a 125ml batch it's a significant amount.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

• Like 1

Yep and also the last stuff to come out is the best of it. That is what I tell myself anyways!

hey all :)

Just wanted to say that I forgot to clean up after I made the infused glycerin, left it in the potato ricer with the clamp on, next morning there was another 30 ml in the pan I used to catch the pressings, may not sound like much but considering I'd made a 125ml batch it's a significant amount.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

Yep, I was using a ricer as well before making the press and had the same issue. No matter how hard or long I squeezed it seemed there was always some left to be had. Now I am more confident that I'm getting as much as I can.

Howzit, BB?

What's your opinion on a glycerin rinse?.

The spent material has about the same saturation as the liquid yield, yah?

When using more fluid solvents, a second rinse can pick up another 10% or so.

Very nice press!

One might even say impressive! :D

Aloha,

Wee

• Like 1

Hiya Weez, it goes good.

A second rinse would likely be worthwhile and if I were consistently short on bud I would probably do that. As it is I claim laziness due to excess for not trying it sooner.

wonder if one could pump up potency by doing consecutive rinses with the same glycerin or if the heat from the second rinse would just break down the cannabinoids from the first rinse, maybe I'll experiment, be nice to get potency to where a single capsule could hold a full dose.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

Very nice I like it gives me some ideas, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

yw rsa420. sharing to give others inspiration is what makes the world go round. :)

• Like 1

Sweet!

Someone mentioned how to make it stronger. I use a splash or two of alcohol during the cooking process, lid partially sealed, last day I take the lid off and let the alcohol dissipate. makes a stronger tincture without the alcohol burn.

• Like 1

I've been making this for my mom for a while now, was using different oils trying to find something that didn't upset her stomach, this did the trick.

I've been making mine without heat, don't want to get mom fried now :) I just let it soak in a cool dark place for a few weeks.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

PS: I suppose I should have posted this in the glycerin making thread instead of the glycerin press making thread, doh

• Like 1