•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

mrgrowguy

New to OpenGrow - my grow log (AK-47 crosses) and Afghan Kush

This is my first post. I am new to the forum, but not new to grow diaries. I'm migrating from another forum where the owner/admin likes to censor and delete posts (good posts, not talking spam or anything negative). So I am going to give this forum a try! The reviews all say this forum is very friendly and supportive, which fits me pretty well.

For my first log on this forum I am going to run two of my homemade crosses alongside 2 regular seeds of Afghan Kush from World of Seeds.

So this is the lineup: (these are testers for my latest crosses)

5 reg seeds of AK-47 female crossed to a Chem91 skva male. If successful I will call it ChemK'd

+

5 reg seeds of AK-47 female crossed to a Mango Tango male. I'm thinking AK2Tango for this one... If any worth while of course.

+

2 regular seeds of Afghan Kush that came as freebies from an Attitude order a little bit back.

If I find a great plant that is worth investing a LOT of time, then I will start to breed it to see if I can stabilize the qualities I like.

My main thing about my grows is weeding out plants that hermie or throw out nanners. As I have learned a couple years ago that I am allergic to smoking male pollen (when it gets on the buds, or if the bud has a nanner inn it... for example). My plan is to create and breed a strain that is very, very unlikely or simply will not hermie or nanner. That is my goal! :smoke

The soil is my personal mix. I started with my own mix and have since recycled and recharged it over the last 3 or 4 grows. It would be tough to describe its specific makeup... but what-the-hell: coco, peat, small portions of FFoF, good amounts of ProMix BX, bone meal, blood meal, kelp meal, oyster shell powder, humic acid, azomite dust, good amounts of worm castings, perlite, crushed pumice, small lava rock, sand, organic material like old roots and some leaves, tossed a few handfuls of worms in it over time... not sure if they're still all alive lol, alfalfa meal, epson salt, tarantula (micro bio), super light doses of great white, soil sulfur, dolomite lime, and I have run countless teas and a few nute mixes of floranova. Phew, I think I got it all.

Right now I am still only getting started. I still have a lot of veg to go, including taking clones of everything. I'm debating doing 4 or 8 tops per plant.

gallery_14029_5084_659388.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_2210482.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_731332.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_1594724.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_1594724.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_1966747.jpg

AC#1 showing some fuzz.

gallery_14029_5084_1524883.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_1566668.jpg

compared to AC#4 (this pheno also kept 3 bladed leaves to the 3rd node, not all of them did)

gallery_14029_5084_1210280.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_607904.jpg

AC#3 with the 5 bladed leaves at the 3rd node.

gallery_14029_5084_42950.jpg

Now the AK-47 x Mango Tango. AM#1 has very short leaf stems and nice healthy broad 3 bladed leaves.

gallery_14029_5084_2238074.jpg

compared to AM#2

gallery_14029_5084_1790990.jpg

Here are the Afghan Kushes.

gallery_14029_5084_2421588.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_1095273.jpg

It has been a few days since I've taken any pictures, but there will be plenty of good show to come.

Warning: I tend to post a lot of pictures.

You've been warned.

• Like 13

Here are some nerd level details, you don't have to read, they are mostly notes for myself (and those like me)

Just some detailed observations of different phenos, early on:

Notes for consideration - The AK-47 mother kept 3 bladed leaves on some of the branches all the way through budding. The AK mom had slightly thin leaves, as did the Chem father. But the Chem father is the dainty hybrid 5 bladed leaf pheno - somewhat slim and short. And of the Chem father's siblings, some had the broad indica OG/SourD type leaves. None of the AK-47 siblings had broad leaves, they were all pretty narrow/hybrid looking.

Keep in mind the plants are still very small, these are very early on observations.

AC

#1, #4 - Have 3 bladed leaves up to the 3rd node. Fourth node too small to see if they continue.

#2,#3 - Have 5 bladed leaves starting on the 3rd node.

#2,#4 - Have broad stubby leaves, unlike either of the parents. So it seems that some of the aunt's and uncle's broad leaf traits on the Chem side came through. I will be watching these pretty closely! Mostly #4 with the 3 blades and wide leaves. Should be interesting.

#1,#3 - Have medium/narrow bladed leaves, like both parents.

AK

#1,#2 - Both are pretty much the same in structure.

#1 - Not as dark green as #2, or any other of the 12 total seedlings.

#1 - Has 3 bladed leaves up to the 3rd node and then starts a 5 bladed leaf.

#2 - Has 3 bladed leaves up to the 4th node. 5th node too small to see yet.

AM

#1#3#4#5 - Have broad leaves.

#2 - Has narrow leaves like momma. The Mango Tango father started off with broad leaves and ended up with hybrid looking leaves when mature.

That is all for now

• Like 3

I really like your set up. Very clean.

I watch with joy!

Hempyfan

Jah Bless!

• Like 2

@ mrgrowguy

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Your "nerd like" attention to detail reminds me a bit of my own somewhat obsessive strain notebooks from all my seed grows. I like being able to come back to my notes a few years later when I don't remember all the details of that 1 of 20 seeds (or whatever) I grew that ended up as an awesome mother plant I kept around. Look forward to ur grow log. Thanks.

-Passion

• Like 2

@agreenpassion Thank you! I actually have written journals still from my first grows. Have all the # of tops, heights, ppms, ph's, etc. LOL. Good to have you watch'n!

Good stuff...keep it coming!

;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement! Here are some more pics.

We're going through a heat wave right now. It's really not that bad, but for where I am, it is one of the hottest days of the year, lol. I really can't complain too much. The plants are handling it pretty well too. The only damage (AC#1+#2) to be seen is from accidental over-spray of neem when the lights were on. Could also be a little burn from being up-potted to a slightly too rich soil too. Either way, the new growth is very happy.

I recently moved the light fixture about a foot higher to help keep temps down.

In my garage it cooks a little, thus not flowering until it starts to cool down reliably.

gallery_14029_5084_959448.jpg

Just some pics to show how some of the plants are dealing with the topping. I warned... I like to post a lot of pics!

gallery_14029_5084_1042478.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_1975102.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_904565.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_2870947.jpg

• Like 4

Mrgrowguy, can you tell me what a nanner is, you done a good job posting your work. thank you. dsj

Sure thing.

If you have seen a male flower on a cannabis plant, then a nanner would be like a single stamen sticking out of the female flower (bud). Every so often you could come across a full and intact male flower, people will refer to that as male balls on a female plant. The reason people call it a nanner is because it literally looks like a miniature banana.

Pics from google images incoming. Not my shots:

Nanners

P10001451.JPG

and balls

pic20.jpg

and an open male flower (I think this is from an actual male, not a hermie)

03072035.jpg

• Like 7

MrGrowGuy.....have you grown any sin city seeds yet?.....I saw some in your stash......I wanna grow someting of theirs I bought some of their stuff and Red eye genetics at cannabis cup and either lost (most likely) or someone stole my bag.....way too many dabs and edibles and dabs and dabs and doobies

• Like 1

mrgg, thank you I see the nanners now. dsj

• Like 1

@dsj not a problem at all

looks pretty good buddy.....looks like your gonna have your hands full

My last run was 15 reg seeds plus 3 fem seeds, and three clones... now THAT was "hands full" lol. The fems and the clones were each a different strain completely.

MrGrowGuy.....have you grown any sin city seeds yet?.....I saw some in your stash......I wanna grow someting of theirs I bought some of their stuff and Red eye genetics at cannabis cup and either lost (most likely) or someone stole my bag.....way too many dabs and edibles and dabs and dabs and doobies

That REALLY sucks about your lost gear. I wanna talk about potential, but I won't rub it in lol. Just know this guy feels for ya!

I actually did run a full 15 pack of Tangerine Power (last run). I have the grow log on the forum I came from. But I can at least say that I did not have too much luck with all the girls. I had only three females finish without nanners or balls. I have been known to push my plants, but it fits my goals to weed out the hermie prone plants. note: I do drape cloth over my grow tent so guaranteed light leak free, and I have an AC unit, so guaranteed not a temp problem. Usually my plants nanner from too much or too little nutes. The Tangerine Powers were from too low nutes. (nute fluctuations are a side effect of experimentation, and a learning curve).

I have SinValley OG which I really can't wait to run, but I think I want to run the Franchise "alien apparition", Bomb seeds "THC Bomb", one of the two Archive strains, and a strain I was gifted from a friend from the forums, it's called Dirty Harry by Joe Fresh. THEN I will probably run the SinValley OG. LOL. Which is likely in about two years from now :) It's a long term plan I have going, plus I will be making crosses and hopefully breeding some good ones meanwhile of that list. Save the best, cull the rest! - not enough room to keep it all :)

Not sure how this board feels about posting cross forum links, but here is my last grow with the TP's

https://www.thcfarme...-journal.71613/

And, though I do NOT recommend that forum, they do have a Sincity section that has a few strain specific topics. May be worth your read.

• Like 1

The Starbud in that grow turned out AMAZING, I ended up keeping the Starbud and the Tangerine Power "M". As well as the best male as I could figure.

Here is a pic of the next male I am going to use. Slightly less than 2 weeks in flower room - at time of pic. I will be running this alongside this grow, so I can throw a pic in here and there as we go.

gallery_14029_5090_1673641.jpg

• Like 7

Guest Soi

good luck man, with the adventure, i did start some seed not long ago but with one thing another,, i let them go, was to busy

still plenty to play with, looking forward to finding some new possible mother, just for a change.

anyway welcome to the forum and success man

all the best

• Like 1

Guest Soi

well they all males , what about showing some asian chicksolita, you know i love a skinny asian bevers

Mrgrowguy very interesting and nice setup. I like the way you are going about it.

I have ak47 and kabbalah that I want to cross and see what else I can come up with. I will make a post when things get started.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work much appreciated from a fellow geek lol

Irie

• Like 1

Mrgrowguy very interesting and nice setup. I like the way you are going about it.

I have ak47 and kabbakah that I want to cross and see what else I can come up with. I will make a post when things get started.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work much appreciated from a fellow geek lol

Irie

Thank you very much!

Well, if it helps any... I bought the AK-47 seeds about 1.5 years ago from serious seeds (from Attitude). I know they have gone through a lot of generations in the breeding process so dated seeds may differ. But it may be helpful... who knows :) details details

And here is an update just because I took these pictures and they came out alright :) I take pics for my own, but I just snap away and don't always check for focus. I had a decent one for each plant this time! woohoo

gallery_14029_5084_2207523.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_1018641.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_413793.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_314666.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_1144319.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_1189487.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_137628.jpg

am#1 is looking especially brutish when compared.

gallery_14029_5084_1339857.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_1038094.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_1371672.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_1628907.jpg

gallery_14029_5084_1366685.jpg

• Like 9

love it I like how you document things,cant wait to see how they turn out

• Like 1

Whats up mr growguy, you have a very interesting project going on and im gonna be with you every step of the way. I have also relocated here from another forum. So far so good. See ya around brother

• Like 1

@theboss good to hear! And thank you! I hope your past experiences stay just that and you're new experiences are great.

These (ten) plants represent my first step to a very long project. At this point, a healthy dose of hope is a good start for me. :)