•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
dequelo

Lumatek or any dimmable electronic ballast question

Good evening the question applies to electronic ballasts

but asking about a Lumatek because that is what I have running

when you dim a 400 watt electronic ballast to 250 watts is the ballast still inputing the 430 watts it take to run a 400 at the full 400 watts?

or does the power input drop as output drops?

all the best and be safe

Dequelo

I think I can answer this one. When you dim a ballast, you are drawing less current, thus lessening your electric bill. I assume that's where you are going or maybe your concern is amp draw for the purpose of limiting the current on your breaker and all wiring and fixtures on that circuit. The load is the key. The ballast has a certain amount of conversion load but it would be minimal. I'm not familiar witht hthat ballast, only relying on an area I have considerable knowledge.

• Like 2

I think I can answer this one. When you dim a ballast, you are drawing less current, thus lessening your electric bill. I assume that's where you are going or maybe your concern is amp draw for the purpose of limiting the current on your breaker and all wiring and fixtures on that circuit.

my concern is when I am running it at 250 watts that it is still drawing the 430 watts but just choking the output down to 250 watts

because if that is the case I would not buy a dimmable but a fixed one that running the watts I want

when it run at 440 watts I sure it draws more watts to make that happen . maybe like 473 watts for a guess

if it doesn't draw more, then it is over unity and Lumatek is on to something big :)

thanks for the reply

Dequelo

Be safe brother.

The ballast will have a certain amount of amp draw itself. It however will be minimal.

You are correct, nothing powers on without drawing some current.

Be safe brother.

The ballast will have a certain amount of amp draw itself. It however will be minimal.

I am safe my friend but thank you none the less :)

watts are watts an amps are amps

we buy watts and things draw amps, so the question was at the lower output does the ballast draw less watts on the input if it is draw less watts the amps will go down

but if it draws the same watts but outputs less watts it would be costing what it cost to run a 400 watts to output 250 watts light

thanks for the reply

Dequelo

They are directly proportional.

Watts increases asAmperage increases when voltage stays the same.

That's my take on it brother. Maybe someone else has a different opinion.

You can get something like this and it will show you what is going through the outlet. Not an endorsement, I did just a quick search for illustration but I have seen these and similar work good.

http://www.amazon.co...ords=watt+meter

I am looking at lumateks ballast and they only give firm numbers for amps and not stepped down so I think your concern might be correct. Still looking for you.

I believe you are right, amps stay same it just changes the watts. I would only consider if heat is an issue for someone really but I am sure their are pluses and minuses I have not yet considered.

Hempyfan,

Jah Bless!

• Like 1

You can get something like this and it will show you what is going through the outlet. Not an endorsement, I did just a quick search for illustration but I have seen these and similar work good.

http://www.amazon.co...ords=watt+meter

I am looking at lumateks ballast and they only give firm numbers for amps and not stepped down so I think your concern might be correct. Still looking for you.

I believe you are right, amps stay same it just changes the watts. I would only consider if heat is an issue for someone really but I am sure their are pluses and minuses I have not yet considered.

Hempyfan,

Jah Bless!

Thanks to be sure I was going to test run a lamp with just that a kill-a-watt

hate to think I was using 250 watts but find out I was using 400 watts to do it, better to just get I smaller watt ballast

in the end it will not matter in my setup as I will be running two boxes each with a non dimmable 400 watt lamp to flower

one veg box with either a 600 or a 1000 watt lamp not sure on that one yet

looking to chop 4 plants every 4 weeks

all the best

dequelo

I just did a check on my set up with my electrical testing equipment, lumatek may be different,my ballast is three stage. It draws around 4.72, then 6.64, then 8.74. I have no voltage drop, this giving the voltage as my constant. Voltage times amperage equals watts used. If lumatek doesn't I would be very surprised and if not I would look somewhere else. My check was conducted at the breaker panel closest to the meter where I am charged.

• Like 4

In two months I am getting a solar system put in, can anyone tell me if I will be able to run a 250, or a 400 hps grow light off of a 4,000 watt solar setup ? thank you, dsj

Good question, glad you asked it, I never truly tested mine, was a nice experiment. Only went by what I anticipated.

In addition I should point out, I ran a dedicated circuit. Only draw on that circuit.

I just did a check on my set up with my electrical testing equipment, lumatek may be different,my ballast is three stage. It draws around 4.72, then 6.64, then 8.74. I have no voltage drop, this giving the voltage as my constant. Voltage times amperage equals watts used. If lumatek doesn't I would be very surprised and if not I would look somewhere else. My check was conducted at the breaker panel closest to the meter where I am charged.

perfect if your amps dropped then that is what i wanted to know voltage should have stayed the same if it is running on 120 or 220

so I will not need to do the kill-a-watt thing

I own a lot of different electronic ballasts already so this not a new purchase, it is just something I did not check into when I bought them

so as I am waiting for beans to pop working on my setup etc gives me something to do :)

all the best and be well

Dequelo

Yes it draws less power. If the ballast drew that much more than what was released to the bulb the ballast would get wicked hot is my guess. Energy has to go somewhere, in that case it would be lots of heat unless another channel was provided.

Ive run lumateks for years and they use less power when dimmed.

• Like 3

It should be noted that when I say the voltage is a constant, I am only speaking in terms of my voltage drop was only decimal points at the furthest point from the panel box. I was just curious to see what my voltage dropwas. Very minimal. Also consider you wire size and distance from your panel. I know this has answered your question already dequelo, this is for anyone else. Amps and voltage are inversely proportional, so the less resistance you have in your circuit the better for 1. Safety first 2. Money saved. Make sure your outlets are new to start with, and change when you detect llooseness. Loose equals more resistance which equals more amperage. Smaller wire equals greater resistance=higher amperage. The farther the travel from the panel, the greater the voltage drop equals greater Amperage.

I was also running Lumateks 600 watters and would just change my bulbs if I wanted to reduce to 400w or 250w for the summer months. but my lumateks have recently failed on me (owned less than 2yrs.) and Lumatek won't honor their warranties. So soon I'll be using Solis Teks 600 watters.

Peace manicman57

I was also running Lumateks 600 watters and would just change my bulbs if I wanted to reduce to 400w or 250w for the summer months. but my lumateks have recently failed on me (owned less than 2yrs.) and Lumatek won't honor their warranties. So soon I'll be using Solis Teks 600 watters.

Peace manicman57

I have two Lumateks one 400 watt and one 600 watt both dimmable if I had to buy again I would just by the Chinese ones

I have two 1000 watt dimmable, two 400 watt non-dimmable and a 600 watt non-dimmable

the Lumateks are picky as to which bulbs they light sometime they light them sometimes they don't

the Chinese ones light any bulb I put in them

peace and be safe

Dequelo

Man. So much research needed to be done. Sometimes you need to just suck it and see. And be lucky too, of course.

I went for the Lumatek 250 Digital, coz it can do 150w bulbs and 250w too (plus super lumens wtf that is).

That is the only reason really. I suppose I get to find out soon enough if it's any good or not.

This was all a major jump up for me. I didn't want to spend the time or the money on this.

I came a hair's breadth of just going the CFL root, but people round here been so good, no bitching at all, that I thought 'well most of them are running hps - go figure'. Reverse psychology, in reverse!

All those sites saying you need to do this or that. Fuck that. I'll find out for myself.

My plan is to get used to this new setup, then next time I need a new bulb in 8-12months time, I'll just get a 250w as opposed to a 150w.

If I get any shit from them, I'll post it here. :-)

Lumatek sucks!

I also had problems with one after just one year sent it in and they sent it back claiming that it works but it doesn't...so I bought gavita and everything is well :)

Greetz

You raise a great question. However, when u use a dimmable ballast the light profile changes. But a dial a watt will correctly light and run X watt bulb at correct light profile. So buy X watt bulb and run that wattage. Dimmable will start at max watt and post start will drop to X watt. 400 w bulb in dimmable 1000 w ballast set to 400 w will go boom at start up.

Millertm

Been using Lumateks for 8 years with no problems yet. I have a 250, 400, 600, and a 1K. I used my 600 for a few years and when it died I brought it in and they gave me a rebate on a new one. Upgraded to a 1K and it was like $125 with bulb!

Had a new 600 get a bit buggy and they took it back immediately and gave me a new one. No problems with the replacement after a few years.

I'm not far from Lumatek headquarters and their store has unreal cheap prices on soil, notes , bulbs etc. They are 40-50% less than anyone else because they sell so many ballasts. I've seen people walk in and order 100 bulbs or 10 pallettes of promix etc.

Saying their ballasts suck because you had a problem doesn't make sense since so many use them with success.

They get bent out of shape about Gavita. Whazzup gave me some Gavita shirts and I was wearing one in there. Whoo hoo.

. 400 w bulb in dimmable 1000 w ballast set to 400 w will go boom at start up.

Millertm

never had that problem they must build the 9 dollar MH bulbs I use well

all the best

Dequelo

Don't sweat it. It's only using the wattage at which you have bulb burning. Watt is the unit of power consumption, and usage can determined by Ohm's law formula.

Volts x Amps = Watts

Consider this. If the ballast were still consuming the same amount of power, where is it going? Most of the energy consumed by a HID light is dissipated as heat, and you will notice considerably less heat is coming from your bulb when you have it dimmed.