•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

dieseldog381

Duoponics Project, Too Cool for School!y

Hey, guys, I simply had to share this, and wondered if anyone else has tried Duoponics. I'm not a hydro guy, furthest I've been is hempy buckets with drip system on top. Ok, I guess that is hydro, lol.

But I digress. I found this setup in the newest version of Marijuana Reconsidered, Big Yields, Small Spaces, which IMO, is the best no nonsense, cut to the chase, up to date, reasonable grow guide I've ever come across. It cuts through all the silly crap growers constantly worry about, light distance, PH, flushing, and focuses on the things that have the greatest affect on your success. The new addition added plans for the following Duoponics setup that fits my schedule, low maintenance, needs perfectly, is damn near idiot proof, and they claim it's turning out pounders every 60 days in a 4 x 4 scrog.

Ok, what you need is 2 30 gallon totes, Rubbermaid Roughnecks are good, mine are Sterlite, an 8 inch bucket style net pot, 2 4" PVC T's, big block of rock wool, pieces of window screen(optional), and 30 gallons of your favorite soil mix, an air stone, tubing, and at least 10 gall aquarium pump.

Take one tote, and cut a hole in the bottom center tote, and put your net pot in it. I used screws and plumbing adhesive, as you'll have some pressure on it when it's all put together. Now fill the net pot to the top with rock wool, or, line it with the screen and pack it with your soil mix, either works. This is your wick, and the object is to keep your soil mixture out of your bottom resevoir tote. I bought a big block of Rock Wool, and carved it down, fits perfectly, and you want it full.

Next, drill a one inch hole in each corner of wick tote, and I covered mine with screen and plumbers adhesive. This allows you to drain back into the reservoir, and keep as much dirt out of the reservoir as possible.

Depending on your your net pot height, you want to lay your PVC T's on their side, or stand them up. If you stand them up, you MUST drill out the PVC, as the idea is to prevent standing pockets of water. You want the bottom of the net pot resting on the bottom of the reservoir tote just barely. Throw your air stone in the reservoir tote, and put the wick tote into the reservoir tote resting on the PVC T's.

Now, after all that highly technical and back breaking work, you add 30 gallons of your favorite soil, moisten it, plant your pot plant(yes, one) in the center above the wick, and fill the reservoir to just below the the top of your wick, there's enough space to pour between the totes and they're flexible. The reservoir will hold 6 gallons or so, and run dry in a week, but I suspect initially, 2-3 weeks till the roots fill the space, 30 gallons is a lot of dang soil.

They say the reason this works so well, is the center roots go straight down for the constant supply of water, and side roots spread out for nutrients. I validated this by accident in hemp buckets, where I filled the bottom 2/3's with chunk perlite, the top third with coir. The roots shot straight down, but the mass in the coir was rock solid, just incredible root mass. I usually run 100% coir now, as it's lower maintenance than light mixes, but in this, I want speed, so thinking of 50/50 coir chunk perlite with my regular guano nute recipes Any thoughts from you hydro heads?

Oh, finally, you can put posts in each corners of the tote and spread chicken wire to form the scrog.

I'll let you guys know how this goes, I've got some Mr. Nice Black Widow clones on deck I'm going to start within a few weeks.

Love to hear your thoughts and inputs.

Oh!!!!! I have a rant!!!!!!! Why's it SO hard to attach a picture to a post? What's wrong with a button that says "attach image here", like every other site on the planet? I've got pics of all this in my gallery, but I STILL can't figure out how to attach the fucking things to a post, and I'm not the only one I've seen trying to figure this mess out!!

Ok, I feel better now, it's still a way cool setup!

5111-duoponics

• Like 10

@ San,

(as part of the hijack)--for some reason that pic posting method doesn't seem to work for me on posts using smart phones (android or iphone) or my ipad unfortunately...

@ DieselDog

-Man that sounds like a great hydro setup idea-- some of it makes a bunch of sense. When trying to get plants really huge from seed I give the main tap root of the seedling a crap-ton of vertical space. It seems to make a big difference when ur tap root can go down 2' or more vertically before it hits bottom as a young seedling. Bigger root mass + thicker stem = bigger and/or more flowers.

thanks for sharing.

-Passion

p.s. I'm just a soil guy :)

• Like 5

Thanks, Santero, what's a picture link and the insert window? That's what I'm saying, i can't find the things, or I don't know what they are, or I'm an idiot, most likely cause.

Thanks for reposting for me.

@Greenpassion

I always Copy Paste my BB©(lolstoner)code from the pictures I need in my topic,

and switch between two tabs on Chrome, wether on smartphone(android) or computer(windows 7)

this always worked for me

Someone learned me it,

props to that fella

to stay on topic this look really interesting

@Dieseldog sorry for hijacking LOL but on san his post there are link's under the words picture link and insert window

My method is easier IMO :D

and the pictures are ofcourse in your gallery, where you upload them and save them for the forum

either private or public but when they're private remember we can't acces them to see

haha ofcourse

Edited by Sativani
  • Like 2

Hey!

I agree with u, some time ago i noticed that the seedlings i poted in 2 Liter pots with about 25 cm in depth got bigger in shorter time than the ones in the round pots which are flatter so also came to this idea. If u think about it some more before noticing something like that one may would find it obvious haha

Nice setup! I'd like to see a grow with it :)

Greetz

Any system where the plant is watered from the bottom will promote stronger root growth.

Here is a simple version:

This can be done with rope as a wick as well if I get it right. Here is a good example.

http://www.wikihow.c...to-Water-Plants

I look forward to seeing your wick on steroids :specool

Hempyfan,

Jah Bless!

@agreenpassion

the BBcode it is for you then, i guess hehe B)

@dieseldog

this is the picture link i mean:

01.png

and this is the button you must hit to add the link you just copied in your post ;) (this will add the pic to the post)

02.png

• Like 2

@agreenpassion

the BBcode it is for you then, i guess hehe B)

@dieseldog

this is the picture link i mean:

01.png

and this is the button you must hit to add the link you just copied in your post ;) (this will add the pic to the post)

02.png

Yep, just what I suspected. I'm an idiot, lol. Thanks man.

took me a minute to wrap my head around it myself, lol.

there are a few threads and posts that explain this already (big up, OPG !).

i merely re-phrased B)

• Like 2

And, here she is on October 12, thirty one days later. What do ya'll think, is it working?

Mr Nice Black Widow 30 days Veg in Duoponics

Black Widow

Underneath

I was running out of flower time before Christmas, so flipped it Tuesday. Black Widow is probably not the best, as it's kind of petite plant, not real massive. But with a Sannies Jack or Silver Fields? Wow.

I've already trimmed about half the plant away, and it's so dense, a bit of pain to get underneath, but keeps me out of the bars.

I've noticed a need to water from the top, as the it will get pretty dry, but it just drains into the reservoir, taking all those luscious guano's with it. I left for 6 days, and it went through about 6 gallons of water, which is a heck of a lot for this size plant. We'll see how it does in flower.

I'm just grooving on the simplicity! I love SOG 12/12, but a lot of work, this may replace that. About all the work is done now, and I can leave it for a week to 10 days with no worries at all.

Will keep you posted.

• Like 2

looking good, never tried this method and interested to see how she works. so far looking great. Keep it up.!@

• Like 1

Interesting method. Does the water from the bottom go up via rockwool by capillary action? Or does it just sit there and "lures" the roots? :D

How you add water back to water res btw?

Interesting method. Does the water from the bottom go up via rockwool by capillary action? Or does it just sit there and "lures" the roots? :D

How you add water back to water res btw?

Here she is 23 days of 12/12, she's about done stretching, BW doesn't reach much.

The water wicks up through the soil. I've never done this before, so will be curious about the root pattern myself. I would assume it goes straight down to seek out the water, out to the soil source and the nutrients. I've been watering from the top, about 5 gallons per week, the reservoir below holds about 10. It will get pretty dry at the top, and it just drains into the lower tub, carrying all those good guano's with it. I also water by just pulling the tubs apart and pouring it in.

Easy as heck, no ph, no added nutes, just water, love, and The Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers. Once you get your scrod set, I believe I could leave it for 2-3 weeks, and it would still be fine. I'm a bit surprised the amount of water it's using, but I'm not used to running plants this size.

I can't wait to try this with a fast grower like Sannies Jack, or Silverfields.

• Like 1

I like it, seems like a nice combo. Not sure how it qualifies for "small spaces" tho. Cant wait to see how this works!

• Like 1

I like it, seems like a nice combo. Not sure how it qualifies for "small spaces" tho. Cant wait to see how this works!

I'm used to running SOG setups, so I can get 25 plants in the same space, but dang, it's like running dairy cows, you can't ever leave them! I could have vegged another few weeks and probably doubled the plant size, but was running out of flower time. Heck, with 30 gallons of soil, I could grow a fricking Redwood in there, lol.

What do you think, guys? BW's a 450-500 gram pre sm strain, what will a plant this size yield? Never done one this size.

I'm hoping for 6-7 pounds, but will settle for 8 oz, lol.

• Like 1

Ive never been great at estimating yields but generally I like the tops equal in size so the buds sort of evenly bulk up.

Though, I have no idea if black widow likes to be bent over.

• Like 1

Question: getting ready to run Apollo 11 in this setup' but have a question. These days I'm all about speed, so does anyone grow more than one plant in this siz container? I red somewhere that plants grown side by side naturally compete for growth, and even secrete some hormones that inhibits the competition.

But I believe Soma runs all his plants in beds instead of pots, but much bigger containers. Any thoughts on more than one plant per container?

Thank guys, and Happy Thanksgiving.