•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

colt91

Breed your own seeds

luma, bro :)

rules? ... not really.

but i like to leave them resting in the buds for as long as i take to smoke those.

then i stick them into the firdge and let them in there for a month (or until i use/

share 'em) = good germination rates for years, as long as they are stored cool.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I seem to remember someone saying a few weeks but I think that was only speculation. I never tried sprouting any early but it would be an easy test. I always figured that it won't hurt to let it settle down for a few weeks but I've never read any science on it. I have some I may try now that are probably 3-4 weeks old now so I'm sure they would be fine.

I got a few surprise seeds on my last run that I'm sort of cool with. I had a Sunshine Daydream f2 male on the back porch that started dropping pollen for a few days before I cut it. Some pollen must have followed me into the flower room at some point because my Humboldt Kush x Sugar Punch got a few seeds from it. They were a week or so ahead of my NAW gear and I thought they were they only thing to get pregnant, but I found one seed in my Airborne Jack, too.

So, I may pop a few of these to see what we have. It could be a nice cross. Same with AJ. SSDD should compliment both.

On 7/14/2019 at 6:33 PM, lumatekfan said:

hey everybody,

I was just wandering whether you guys have any recommendations or clues how long the seeds should rest/ripen after the buds' harvest.

How long do I have to wait before I can sprout them? Is there a minimum time they need to rest?

Luma

i saw this but their are other ways people use. it used to be a topic over a decade ago on pgor open g. too long ago for me to recall. google ur questions like asking  person.it's what i use to get faster answers and use of quotes helps too

seeds often are usable and will germ well when they fall from the mom with that baby watermelon look. 3 seeds dropped off the AK47 mom and all three came up to produce the jugger-naught plant = will rename cause now there are more than 1 strain using that name. mileage can vary based on room conditions the seeds are in before and after they are done. so that's part of the post i just found. 

https://autoflower-portal.net/dry-store-cannabis-seeds/

• Thanks 1

Silverfields Pollen, collected from a vigorous male about 8 months ago...

1499283361_SilverfieldsPollen.thumb.jpg.784e1f435bfa849b144259d664130efb.jpg

Been kept under 50% r/o the whole time... (hope it´s viable) Would be nice to dust some G39 females, and hope for some spaceship offspring! :)  

• Like 4

I'd be curious to see if any of that pollen is viable. I've read it's only good for upto 4-5 days after dropping. I harvested some pollen similarly but put it in the freezer to keep moisture out

and I do know that people have used pollen a few years old that is kept in the freezer.

I remember reading a few years back that pollen's worst enemy is moisture, and that some breeders find viable pollen sitting on their hoods after multiple grows before being used. This pollen have been sitting on a shelf with a 40w bulb underneath for climate control. Hot and dry.... Would be cool if it works ;)

Not sure if it will be viable that long in dry air. It only has a short'ish life. Best way to find out is pick a limb or bud and dust just it with the pollen and mark the limb, You'll get seeds if still good. My tests are suggesting that careful handling and storage are key to viability and to have a better shot at it. If you save it, it seems like once you open it, you only have one shot as the rest will deteriorate. I'm not 100% sure of all of this but in general it's what I'm finding. I need to do more work with it. 

• Like 1

I found some three year old Sannie's Jack pollen in a film canister inside an 8 0z ball jar filled with oven dried rice and vacuum packed in the bottom of a sub zero freezer for three years, do you think it will be any good?  It has never been out, thawed, or handled in any way.  Just a combo of things I read of folks doing to save pollen.    

LOL  Seriously, I studied up on what others had done, most claim 3 months or so, but some claim over a year.  It was the only Sannie's Jack male I've ever had, out of 20-25 seeds I've grown, so saved it, but never got back to growing SJ again, so it's just sat there.   I've only got five SJ seeds left, so may run those out next.  I need more space.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dieseldog381 said:

I found some three year old Sannie's Jack pollen in a film canister inside an 8 0z ball jar filled with oven dried rice and vacuum packed in the bottom of a sub zero freezer for three years, do you think it will be any good?

Very good chance in that environment. I wouldn't open it to use it until you were absolutely ready. and, once you open it it may degrade fast being that old. Maybe defrost it slowly or maybe not?? You wouldn't want condensation to form.

13 hours ago, Mr Goodfellow said:

Very good chance in that environment. I wouldn't open it to use it until you were absolutely ready. and, once you open it it may degrade fast being that old. Maybe defrost it slowly or maybe not?? You wouldn't want condensation to form.

Exactly.  Everything I read talks about the change in temp being death to pollen more than the actual temp, just like seeds and cigars.  Cigars get ruined when they expand and contract breaking the outer wrappers, seeds do the same.  Whenever I collect pollen in my film canisters over several days, I keep them in the fridge, but let them warm up for 15 minutes before I open them to add more.  

I was waiting to make a shit load of Sannie's Jack seeds, may run her this winter, if I don't fly south.  

• Like 1

Where down south are you wanting to go? Wish I could do the same. I don't have the freedom to roam like I used to. I actually have plenty of the freedom, but less of the money that makes it all much easier.

1 hour ago, Mr Goodfellow said:

Where down south are you wanting to go? Wish I could do the same. I don't have the freedom to roam like I used to. I actually have plenty of the freedom, but less of the money that makes it all much easier.

I head to Florida for a month or so, down in Fort Myers area.  Supposed to get hammered in the midwest, but who knows?  Last three winters have just been long falls. 

• Like 1

I saw an article the other day saying the red tide has already returned there again this year. Didn't read it, just saw the headline. I love the Gulf personally because I grew up around it. I love south Alabama and north Florida panhandle and down south along the Gulf Coast. It's a shame about the little town that got hit by the hurricane, Mexico Beach. All of that has grown up so much since I was young and running around down there. Penascola Beach is a nice place but not as warm as Ft Myers in winter. 

• Like 1

Saving pollen is a great idea. 

It keeps way better than people think, and a little bit makes lots of batches of seed.

I have yet to find a shelf life except that it makes less and less seed as it ages.

I use pollen that's Years old,  up to 7 years of sitting in a jar at room temp.

That seems to be the cutoff for seeds sprouting reliably and pollen making more than a few seeds at a time.

• Like 4

This will be fun :) 

Ha, that link is for people who have deep pockets. Nice info though.  Bookmarked it myself. I still haven’t invested in ventilation but will need to in the future for the new space one step at a time atm. I still need to solve my heat problem for winters first.

Mine is more complicated than that. It’s in a 1200sq ft space downstairs with 9’ ceilings. It’s 99% underground but the house is old and needs more work. No tent, I just have panda film creating a 10’ x 10’ space. Dirt floors and concrete walls otherwise it’s gonna be nice for summer but I still need to solve some things as I want to eventually grow produce down there, too.