•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

colt91

Breed your own seeds

With all the frauds out there i have given up on a good northern lights. If you know of one that would be awesome. Ive always wanted to work with it even since before my breeding experimentation. Everyone says nirvanas aurora indica is a hitter but i have a mental block against growing their stuff for some reason.

i had the same mental block years ago. looked at their selection more then many, but wouldn't pull the trigger . i did have faith in a few guys who grew nirvana successfully. AI HAS ALWAYS BEEN CONSIDERED THE TRUTH FOR THOSE IN THE KNOW screeeech,caps Ninja :) , but you still have to select from them. i don't know if AI is still the same now though . I'm just hoping the old Ai beans i have sprout for me. if i do i'll be happy as they were proven stock from the sifter with both major phenos being quite good. one Afghani pheno, and can't recall the other

if you know folks and can run into someone who's running joey weeds NL than grab it and don't turn back. it was already snatched away by the time i got the word about it . I grabbed Joey's C99 though. If i had to do it again the Nl would be my choice. it was a compilation N L from the sensi stuff . JOEY IS STILL DOING SOMETHING BREEDING WISE I THINK. BUT HE'S NOT GOING BY Joey, AND HE DON'T WANT NO ATTENTION. shit caps Ninja, i look up and he ripped me a huge gash. we'll blame it on the "bio diesel" :icecream: Gatorade, mixed with tangerine /orange juicy juice, tazo hibiscus dom tea. mix in Tito's vodka and u have a weirdly refreshing taste explosion .

so back t0 nirvana the misty plant was liked a lot by wpw as well as the b52 also . u had to select some with the b52, but it was wort it.

dude i'm just happy you started this thread. to give a boost start to folks making their own seed if they have the space, it don't take much space. u can breed two females in a large trashcan with 1 male; and could be different females of course .

initially was told 6 weeks to make seed, so i added 2 weeks for insurance. then figured out it's not so much about time, even though many will fall within that time window. I JUST GOT TO THE POINT WHERE IF I LIGHTLY JARED THE PLANT SEEDS WOULD DROP/would easily slip out of the bracts with that watermelon coloration . then I'd just let the old lady go longer so that the seeds would mature well on the plant and not have so many light colored/immature seeds at harvest time. i also made sure i fed the mothers a veg formula much further into the flowering cycle. didn't want to under nourish mommy. al mothers need extra when you want the babies to be healthy/vibrant yes. ao all that boiled down to getting out of the way of my plants

they will always tell you if u listen. the rest is ojt and help from comrades/internet imho. :wave:

. My first amazing cut was the Blueberry sativa which eventually drifted away from greatness. Two were chosen from over 100. We used to use that cut to compare all of our seed grows to. Eventually, I just stopped growing seeds because it was too hard to find anything as good as that or Pure Kush. Now, that I see what happens to 20 year old cuts, they drift and don't stay the same, I think it's the genetics they contain that are more important. Hit them with pollen and look to the offspring for something interesting and vigorous. awesome grower. After I went through my beans, I gave away most of the beans I had bought because they were less interesting than ones people I knew made and it was more than I could ever grow. Gave away some I really wanted to grow but knew I never would. Make your own seeds... it's always worth it and not that hard. Give them away. Guaranteed what you get for free will be as good as what you buy.

can you explain two were chosen from 100. as in 2 what from what ? since most would agree it's all in the genes both in plants/animals/humans does that mean you'll grow out the Blueberry mom x Uranium Cranium male seeds before they expire, they are getting old ?. That cross has good genetics on both sides that should compliment both parents imho. the U.C. female crosses turned out damn good. I saw no reason that using a U.C. male to a good mom wouldn't turn out equally as good regardless of the mom. The BB mom was just a no brainer though . the old dog men always said " it's all in the blood "

A big part of the old NL genetics are from the USA,especial eastcoast -California + Oregon+Washington and British Columbia in Cannada.

And now the laws change at the USA ,so by this way you can say the most good genetics are made there.

But it is not all and at Spain,Austria,NL, Denmark and some other countrys are some nice breeder with nice genetics too.

The numer 1 of europe is clearly spain .

Aswell in Australia,New Zeeland,South Africa,Chile +++++++ I think you can find some realy nice ,serious breeder with good genetics and work.

I hope the law changes wordwide to stop the stupid war of drugs and can start bigger breedings

Where I grew up,killer was around DAILY ina town of about 500, we had at least 8 guys that sold lbs daily. I was luky t have a pot head ad n got to smoke the best around. Damn shame, most of those old pot dealers are dead

• Like 2

fact 1:

US has some of the best genetics today

fact 2:

they are made from imported genetics

esko shows how to work with elites and always creates something new with them ... something

that neither the clone, nor the fatherline can do by themselves. that's breeding, having an actual

goal for the mating ... other then just wanting to throw around big names (i saw a sad fool inven-

ting clone-names just to appear like he is involved in more then just in his own dreamland, lol).

joker is right, hehe ... clones make snobs out of growers almost all the time ;)

when peepz start growing clones they stop growing seeds, because they start

making seeds themselves and/or just don't like anyone others seeds anymore

since they almost never hold up to the "elites" anyhow, being just watetered down

most of the time. merely when they are made by friends or are made with gene-

tics that still are "too far away" from oneself, then there might be exeptions. but

basically everything other then the 'elites' turns to " shit " overnight, hahaha.

why grow a chem x whatever, if the only thing that is desirable in there is the chem?

there is no sense to this at all ... makes only sense if there is no acces to the clones.

(i can see why some genetics are hoarded so much = more sales of redundant seeds, lol).

• Like 4

SPW: we are talking about plants and seeds right? So 2 plants were chosen from out of 100.

As for the seeds, I'm sure I gave them away. I gave away a lot of seeds this year that I would never. I may have kept the GDP x Uranium Cranium but it's something I will probably never grow . I had too many seeds. I gave away all my Nirvana as well. If you grow 100 if anything you will find an elite.

Just grew out some White Krush seeds I made from Grape Krush x The White. Too Sativa for me as they look to be 10+ weeks. Only one of the females smells really good. The Grape Krush x Pure Kush smells outstanding. I was looking to improve yield and vigor and to back up the moms. I want to cross and then back cross all my mothers . I was hoping the white bumped the resin content. From the pics I've seen of other people's White Krush grows the second clone grow get sgreasy with resin.

All Pure Kush crosses I've tried have yielded at least 1 really good female.

• Like 1

While we're on the subject of breeding, what does everyone look for in a male pollen donor? Obviously, a female is easier to choose. But I have read several people's opinions on the subject, and the opinions vary. I have heard hollow main stems are a good trait, smell, resin content, etc... It almost seems like finding a good male is very difficult. I've never bred before, but I am open to listening to those who have. My next run will be for seed, and I hope to make some interesting crosses.

In males, I get excited about crystals, I also like the tighter clusters and hollow stems, heard that years ago, and always went with that when selecting males. also depends on the strain and what traits you are seeing out of one and what you are trying to reproduce.

When I do find a male I like, I am not afraid to share him with all the ladies in my run at that moment, but usually try to get it done and out early so that I still get something in the run. Guess that would make me a pc, whatev, you wanna call it, its my hobby.

Sometimes there is a specific cross I am shooting for and then the others are a bonus. It depends on what I am shooting for. When I find some plants I like, I want to make sure there is some way to continue in some way.

• Like 2

In males, I get excited about crystals, I also like the tighter clusters and hollow stems, heard that years ago, and always went with that when selecting males. also depends on the strain and what traits you are seeing out of one and what you are trying to reproduce.

When I do find a male I like, I am not afraid to share him with all the ladies in my run at that moment, but usually try to get it done and out early so that I still get something in the run. Guess that would make me a pc, whatev, you wanna call it, its my hobby.

Sometimes there is a specific cross I am shooting for and then the others are a bonus. It depends on what I am shooting for. When I find some plants I like, I want to make sure there is some way to continue in some way.

Nothing wrong with pollen chucking at all. Basically, you get free seeds. You can go through them for the rest of your life. Or trade em, or give em away. Whatever.. It's nice to have that kind of freedom to make whatever you want to make. Cross what you want. Not what fucking High Times says is cool. To me, that's the kind of shit that gets me excited.

I would say that growing is more than a hobby for me. I can't sleep past 8 am ever, I have to get up and water my plants before the light goes off at 8:30. Growing bud takes some dedication, and that's what makes this place so cool. Out there in the world, I am weird because I don't just go and buy weed like everyone else does. In here, we are all basically doing the same thing. There's different ways to skin a cat for sure (figure of speech) but the end goal is the same. GROW SOME FUCKING DANK..

• Like 4

Uhhh, guys, all plants are hollow stems. Its sorta like bamboo. A hollow stem IS NOT what I look for in a breeder. U see a special outstanding plant, u breed with it. Pretty simple

• Like 3

hollow stems transport fluids better. It is generally wanted but is not game breaker.

While we're on the subject of breeding, what does everyone look for in a male pollen donor? Obviously, a female is easier to choose. But I have read several people's opinions on the subject, and the opinions vary. I have heard hollow main stems are a good trait, smell, resin content, etc... It almost seems like finding a good male is very difficult. I've never bred before, but I am open to listening to those who have. My next run will be for seed, and I hope to make some interesting crosses.

So far my experience has been this so far: First pick a male or two for structure and smell - rub the stems, you can usually pick up a smell from that. Second, flower it out and see how the pollen clusters form - are they small and individual or do they form the equivalent of a big cola. Third - does it produce a lot of resin? and Fourth - How long until it's finished?

I am just starting to sort that out - but so far pollen chucking just any male - does not work - you do not get good results even if the mom is fantastic. A dud male can't make good final result. A stud male is hard to find and I'm seeing why breeders use one stud and cross it with many.

• Like 3

Selecting males is hard. If your super rich than modern testing can help but still an ordeal.

Even if you find a perfect looking male, until you test him out with a variety of plants you wont know what traits are dominant and recessive.

The only way to know this is grow them out and determine. Once you know this, its science and breeding projects can begin the next stage of development.

This is how many freebees come to be! Shame more people do not do grow reports on the free bees as this information is generally desired. For those who do, you are appreciated.

Hempyfan,

Jah Bless!

• Like 1

So my next breeding should be starting in about 2 weeks. 2 sepetate and simultaneous breedings going at once

#1 fugu kush male x sugar punch , herijuana, chem #4, blue dream

#2 selene male x fugu, sugar punch. Maybe a herijuana. I cant decide if that would be a good cross.

So far i have found fugu kush to be a very strong breeder but ive only used its females. We will see if the father can produce consistent good results.

I think fugu kush x sugar punch is going to be my holy grail and my personal magnum opus.

If i can get its flavor and herijuanas indica potency that will take the world by storm as well.

Wish me luck

The hollow stem thing was conceived (or mostly perpetuated) by DJ SHort. He thinks that strains that produce fiber (in the main stem) aren't as desirable because they use energy to produce that fiber instead of producing cannabanoids. I have seen in the past VERY potent plants that didn't have hollow stems, so I don't put too much weight on the hollow stem thing. If you are looking for a male to pass on traits, the male you are using must have those traits. If you want a resinous strain, a male that's resinous is a good place to begin. Same with smell and plant structure. Potency is tricky however, because you can't look at a male and see that it is potent (resin is not always an indicator of potency but a resinous male is usually a keeper in my book). You gotta smoke it to see IMO. Most males won't get veterna growers stoned but a good breeder/grower who doesn't smoke anything for a couple of days can see which males are potent and which are not. I used to smoke the youngest leaves and shoots from my males back in the day.

Here's an interesting link with some cool info regarding cannabis' sexuality and why some males are resinous and others are not. It helped change my mind regarding the whole fem seeds debate. Hope it benefits somebody here. http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/6-breeders-support-information/8805-males-fem-seeds.html

But the real way to tell if you have a good male is to cross him and see if he passes desirable traits on to his offspring. It's the only true way of knowing if you hgave a good male. So you gotta just go for it, cross 'em and pop 'em.

• Like 3

I agree with the hollow stem thing. I have seen great plants with both type of stems, this is why I said its not a game breaker.

I do tend to think the hollow stems do better in hydro where a grower is pushing the plant to its effective optimum after each feeding as my understanding the hollow stems are quicker on uptake and useage of nutrients.

In outdoor (and indoor with not ideal environments) with the plant having more pith stem than I think it is better for a plant to withstand varying conditions where dry periods may be applicable as I tend to believe the pith plants hold more water/nutrient longer than hollow stems but I cannot say as a matter of fact but I lean this way at this point in time in view point on the subject.

So, generically I believe depending on your growstyle and/or breeding goals, either choice can potentially be the more optimized selection but I would not necessarily make this aspect more important over other attributes per say.

Hempyfan,

Jah Bless!

funny, i just hit a few ladies with blowfish f2 pollen, that's half the fugu ;) nice one, colt !!

What's the blowfish like? The fugu is so different then any bubba I've ever worked with.

I crossed it with jackberry pollen. Soooooo good. Smells and tastes like chewed up skittles.

• Like 1

I took a break from growing and smoking from 2011 to 2015. A LOT has happened since then!!!

@Santero - That Fugu kush looks pretty nice! I love frankincense tasting strains!!! What percentage of Fugus taste like frankincense? Seems like the Blowfish would make the Bubba veg EVEN slower. Is this the case? Thanks in advance friend.

i did not post any fugu, mate ...

i 'merley' used blowfish f2-pollen that was kindly send to me by a fellow grower in UK.

blowfish is quite similar to the 'sloth', just has some colors added

and a little different terpene-profile, due to the other males used,

but both are heavy g13-dom. it still is a sweet spicy plant, but with

sum blue-funk added. no frankinsense as far as i have experienced.

btw, i combined sloth and blowfish for a " G134 " as well in the last round.

plants have been harvested and buds are drying ... i hope it turns out nice.

@colt

chew'd skittles ?? ow, man ... you got me excited over here, bro :)

• Like 1

Someone asked if selene x heri would be a good strain? I made selene female x heri male in 2011. Never got to give any seeds out, but the weed was so gd good I smoke an entire plant in days...Selene male x heri female Id say itd have the more petrol taste...The selene fem x heri male was like a sugary lemon spice taste...Id put in my top 10 strains I ever smoked.

@colt

chew'd skittles ?? ow, man ... you got me excited over here, bro :)

Yeah imagine someone else chewed up skittles then you smelled up the after product hahaha

Someone asked if selene x heri would be a good strain? I made selene female x heri male in 2011. Never got to give any seeds out, but the weed was so gd good I smoke an entire plant in days...Selene male x heri female Id say itd have the more petrol taste...The selene fem x heri male was like a sugary lemon spice taste...Id put in my top 10 strains I ever smoked.

Thats all i needed to hear. Probably the male will be the selene.

My personal number one to look for in a male is that she fits the female that is chosen for this cross and what treats he must pass to the next generation in combination with the female.

greetz sannie

• Like 2