•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
islayhearts

Sous Vide Machine to decarboxylate

So, I read that this might be a fun new technique that I could use. I have access to fun toys like you will see. I figured I would give it a try.

Ideally you would just place your bud/trim in bag that you can seal. I use a vacuum packing food saver to do this but a ziploc would work if you use the submerge method to get all the air of the bag. This is so that the THC-A will be activated into THC. If you do just dry bud/trim without adding oil as I did, you can then just grind this up and ingest and it should work properly.

I just got sick of making the house smell of boiling pot for a day and was sternly told by my wife to figure something out so this is what I did.

I borrowed a ANOVA sous vide machine. Basically just a fancy little heater that circulates water at a desired temp.

gallery_7892_4855_611771.jpg

Coconut Oil. I have found this works better than butter due to the higher fat content and also is a vegetarian option which matters to some people that I donate these baked goods too.

gallery_7892_4855_18302.jpg

I did two seperate batches basically.

Bag one was 1 oz of trim from Sugar Punch, Candy Kush and Deathstar x Huck cross. This might be a problem for some folks if this comes out as good as I think it will.

gallery_7892_4855_253559.jpg

Bag two was 1 oz of Killing Fields trim. It looks brown but something was off with my color correction.

gallery_7892_4855_602949.jpg

I sealed each bag with a few ice cubes and the solid coconut oil.

gallery_7892_4855_552895.jpg

gallery_7892_4855_317090.jpg

Then I let the ANOVA warm up to 200F or 93.3 C and then submerged the bags. Next time I will add some thing metal to the lower portion of the bag to weigh it down and keep it under the water line. I let them cook for 1 hour and 25 mins. I saw a test on another site that it should be around 1 hour and 30 mins to get the best decarb you could get.

Then removed them from the water bath.

gallery_7892_4855_186168.jpg

gallery_7892_4855_487116.jpg

Then cut a small hole in the corner of the bag and strained the liquid through some cheese cloth. They are now in the fridge covered and will be set by the time I wake up tomorrow.

Figured I would share.

• Like 10

what is that thing for ? Making soup hot ? sous sorta leads me to think sauces.....anyway cool idea .....cook some popcorn in that coconut oil (potcorn)

• Like 1

Fascinating. Very interested in low/no odor infusion (my wife says the same) so I will give this one a shot. I have a bunch of old trim itching for a bath. But, no access to a sous vide, so what about a double boiler? Or crock pot on low/keep warm? Either way, results of your endeavor would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

slayer, that is fantastic!

nothing like good ol stoner ingenuity...

I have been sifting with dry ice lately thanks to some advice from the dude. we then take the dry sift and put it into the coconut oil as well. about one oz. hash per 16 oz. of oil...It's VERY strong

it also helps to cut down on the smell if you do it this way. One quick question for all of you guys concerned about smelling up the house - can't you just get a carbon filter/fan setup that is dedicated to harvesting/drying/cooking? just a humble suggestion that may help you all keep the wives happy??? great investment!

keep on giving those goodies away, slayer! You're stacking up karma points

• Like 2

what is that thing for ? Making soup hot ? sous sorta leads me to think sauces.....anyway cool idea .....cook some popcorn in that coconut oil (potcorn)

used for a really fancy technique of cooking protiens mainly under vacuum pressure. Brings the meat or whatever you have in the bag up to a set temp and holds it there. It will never go over, there fore will never over cook. Or at least that is the premise of it.

Fascinating. Very interested in low/no odor infusion (my wife says the same) so I will give this one a shot. I have a bunch of old trim itching for a bath. But, no access to a sous vide, so what about a double boiler? Or crock pot on low/keep warm? Either way, results of your endeavor would be greatly appreciated.

The odor is DEFINITELY less. Only smells when you are packing up the bag and then when you pour out the liquid. I will do both these outdoors next time around so the wife will be very very happy. I would suggest the crock pot on low till it starts to bubble then warm for a hour or so. That has worked for me in the past. Straining is where you need to be careful. I use cheese cloth but if you don't have that a old hand towel that is fairly light or a old clean t shirt would work great.

I can say that I haven't tried the finished product yet but it does look a lot cleaner and a lighter green which I would presume means less chlorophyll has contaminated the oil.

slayer, that is fantastic!

nothing like good ol stoner ingenuity...

I have been sifting with dry ice lately thanks to some advice from the dude. we then take the dry sift and put it into the coconut oil as well. about one oz. hash per 16 oz. of oil...It's VERY strong

it also helps to cut down on the smell if you do it this way. One quick question for all of you guys concerned about smelling up the house - can't you just get a carbon filter/fan setup that is dedicated to harvesting/drying/cooking? just a humble suggestion that may help you all keep the wives happy??? great investment!

keep on giving those goodies away, slayer! You're stacking up karma points

I too like the dry ice method. A bit messy but works wonders with great yields. What micron bag you using? or getting your best results with? Only problem for me is buying dry ice means going to a ice company and they only sell it in 10# bricks and always ask what I am using it for. I say I am a clown and do family parties. A guy called me a creep one time haha.

1 oz = 16 oz of oil is a very rich mix :) This round I did 1 oz trim/popcorn to 12 oz oil so we shall see. I usually do it in the basement to keep it away from the rest of the house. A dedicated room would be ideal of course. I could do it in my grow area room but just cramped with space and I already have heat issues so throwing more heat in that space isn't the brightest idea. I would suggest a garage for most people.

Here is what it looked like once cold then warmed back up to be but into jars for safe keeping. I think the light green coloring is good and the smell is very nice indeed. As you can see the small brown ring at the top of the second jar, that is water that wasn't fully taken out. I will get that out with a cloth soon.

Solid brick of the cold oil

gallery_7892_4855_835720.jpg

warming up over a double boiler, just enough to melt it back to a liquid state.

gallery_7892_4855_139053.jpg

and the jars.

gallery_7892_4855_623031.jpg

gallery_7892_4855_118893.jpg

• Like 6

I found a screen printing supply house that has nylon mesh in just about any micron size you could ever want. It's weird cause they use a different system for mesh size. The higher the number the smaller the microns...opposite of the bubble bags I bought years ago. anyways, I'm using a 110 which is the same thing I use to screen t-shirts. It's not 110 micron, though. it lets a bunch of plant material through and the hash comes out dark. but it's great for medicine and we get lots of it so it goes a long way

• Like 2

pretty slick there guy i am presently waiting for local glass glacier in making me tubes as plans are to make all BHO Wax from my out door harvest this year going to be in dab heaven :)

• Like 1

I say I am a clown and do family parties. A guy called me a creep one time haha.

haha it is sorta creepy to say you are a clown......sorry Indican

I found a much cheaper source for rolls of Food Saver wrap, over on U-line.

You can get rolls of both sizes, WAY cheaper then the FS brand.

Honestly it's not as nice as the FS brand, as the cheapos have some wrinkles across the width of them.

However I've been using them for 2 years now, for our cookies, or if I send a sample of tincture to make the package spill proof, and they work fine. Just as air tight as FS brand.

I also color coded my 4 nutrient solutions, with their colored Rubbermaid trash cans from Uline.

Green one for Veg Juice, a Red one for Bloom Juice, a Yellow one for Transition Juice, and a White one for Extreme Tea batches.

keeps my absentmindedness on check a bit anyway.

WAY cheaper then our local shops prices for nutrient tanks that are one color.

I graduated them by 5 gallons, with marks on the side of the trash cans, to 15 gallons, then set them on the cheapo dollies from Harbor Freight for easy refills.

Sorry to hijack.

• Like 2

Very useful thread thanks Islayhearts and hempyfan. Couldnt help but put my vacuum sealer to good use. About an oz or two of trim, some butter and a pan of low simmering water of who knows what temperature. Much simpler, less mess and easier to wring out the plant material than old ways of making cannabutter. Smells delicious but will wait until next week to sample.

gallery_9122_4960_857208.jpg

• Like 2

I was thinking about this yesterday and thought I would ask, what do you think about using this method for alcohol tincture? The bags will hold up to the grain, just a matter of sealing. Anyone try this, or have experience with sealing liquids with a food saver? I have a lot of trim that I want to experiment with, and I want to make tincture for gummies, thanks to Jetdro.

Only issue is if the bag leaks you have a disaster in the makings. The 190 proof is volatile..............be careful with it. Sure glad I bought the butter machine,

no more stink, no more mess, no more checking it every few hours. I understand a lot of the MBM have had issues, mine keeps churning it out.

This method looks pretty cool to me. Had I not the MBM i would certainly try this.

Let me know if you do it with the 190, curious. You are on the right track, the tincture is just so much easier to use than the butter or oil, I'm never going back to butter,

it is a pain in the ass at times to infuse it. The tincture infuses into EVERYTHING without issues or separation.

Peace,

Jet

• Like 2

I would not put alcohol in the pack. I would just decarb the herb you want to use. Then after the decarb I would mix the herb and alcohol together in a jar for about 15 -20 minutes. Shake it like it makes you cool and press it out like you would otherwise.

Generically, leaving alcohol too long with herb (more than about 20 minutes) will take more chlorophyl and be green in color. You actually want it brown to golden otherwise it can be hard on your stomach.

• Like 3