•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

HydroProphet

Moving - plans to turn basement into first indoor grow

Hey all!

I am brand spanking new to OpenGrow and plan on growing my first crop of flowers soon after I move. I am seeking advice on how to best set up my grow. I'd like to harvest once a month. I plan on growing just a couple of plants at first but once I get the hang of it, I will upscale the grow.

I have a few direct Q's but I am also seeking the wisdom of all of you Veteran growers out there on the interwebz !

Im was thinking about buying 2 tents, one for Veg and one for Flower. I saw some big 10' X 10' tents that looked about the perfect size for the basement. Maybe that's too big to start..

I have around $7000 to spend on the project.. I want to get my first crop then upscale the grow. In your opinion, where is the most economical and trustworthy source to acquire high quality grow tools?

How many 1000W lights would be needed for each tent at max capacity?

Do you recommend using different lights for the veg tent as compared with the flower tent?

Should I get another tent to keep a mother(s) and propagate my favorite plants?

At capacity, about how much weight can I get out of that set up per month?

Thanks for the help. Im sure I will have a boatload of questions in the coming weeks !

Welcome HydroProphet,

Mbferts has some good prices on equiptment, I have used them and they came through for me.good luck.

spend 2 grand on lights nanolux dimable 1215 watters that will be 6000 watts same time buy 2 nanolux NCCS cloud control system for each 5 x 10 tent one can be for veg other flower or how ever you like it

spend grand on one exhaust fan pending how many tents you run i would run them parallel 2 tents figure our CFM hundred bucks on Havac , and one big ass carbon scrubber scrubber and fan on outside on last tent

• Like 2

That is a great budget and good size space, the possibilities are many. If it were mine I would build a cab for clones/seedlings , a large cab or small room for veg and a flower room. I guess it depends on how much you want to produce. 10x10 flower tent could produce some serious bud. I only grow for myself so , I could have an outstanding set up with a great stock of mothers to keep me very very happy.

Vortex S line fans, Galaxy grow AMP ballasts, sun system reflectors and can filters for my next set up. From Growco , or Amazon.

• Like 1

Welcome to OG.

I would start researching equipment, I bought a dimmable ballast but would have been better off with a dial a watt. Since you have money and are excited you are risking the ability to keep you profit margins acceptable. Take your time and learn the craft in theory first. I am new to this as well and after about 3-4 weeks of study I am starting to understand all that is out there and how I can use it.

Mark

• Like 2

Thanks OGers. I've committed myself to a few weeks of study before I purchase anything.

Im a little worried about energy usage - Does anyone know the risks of running 6000ish Watts continuously?

Thanks Rayne - This project is already becoming so much fun.

• Like 1

That is a great budget and good size space, the possibilities are many. If it were mine I would build a cab for clones/seedlings , a large cab or small room for veg and a flower room. I guess it depends on how much you want to produce. 10x10 flower tent could produce some serious bud. I only grow for myself so , I could have an outstanding set up with a great stock of mothers to keep me very very happy.

Vortex S line fans, Galaxy grow AMP ballasts, sun system reflectors and can filters for my next set up. From Growco , or Amazon.

On lighting, what should I be most concerned about? Will any reflector work? Should I hit the plant with different spectrums at different points in its life?

I recently started reading Ed Rosenthal's Growers Handbook - so I am sure things will start to make more sense soon.

I guess you need to ask your self what are your goals ???? couple oz or couple pounds or 10 - 20 pounds that is the real question as for running lights as long as your wiring is up to code and your within the specified and like i said 240 VOLT out let this way that 1000 watt will draw 4..9 amps half of what it would draw on 120v

So with all that said you can run i believe 7700 watts continuously for the rest of your life on 240 volt

• Like 3

I guess you need to ask your self what are your goals ???? couple oz or couple pounds or 10 - 20 pounds that is the real question as for running lights as long as your wiring is up to code and your within the specified and like i said 240 VOLT out let this way that 1000 watt will draw 4..9 amps half of what it would draw on 120v

So with all that said you can run i believe 7700 watts continuously for the rest of your life on 240 volt

This is key. In my experience worth the time. I also have used a dedicated A/C system. But as everyone has pointed out it depends on your goals. Personal or profit, really though you will always profit in the long run even if its for personal (friends and family). Good bud opens more doors than any other means IME.

It seems as though your approaching the project in the right fashion. Good luck and welcome.

-B

• Like 3

My goal is 10-20 pounds each month. So, I'm looking to profit and want to go the extra mile for quality's sake. Supplemental CO2, solid climate control, ideal lighting.

I plan on using an Ebb and Flow system with Growpito B) as the medium.

Ebb & Flo in my experience is so simple, just a simple quality pump and timers. Good wiring, good gauges and fool proof nutes. If you can set your water source with a float to pump in fresh water as the plants use it up even better. Depending on your humidity levels you may want to invest in a quality dehumidifier. For most indoor setups a dehumidifier is so important and overlooked, you can buy one that has a dial so you can set it. The one I have also has the option of hooking up a hose to drain the water it collects so you don't have to empty it.

:)

-B

• Like 1

Ebb & Flo in my experience is so simple, just a simple quality pump and timers. Good wiring, good gauges and fool proof nutes. If you can set your water source with a float to pump in fresh water as the plants use it up even better. Depending on your humidity levels you may want to invest in a quality dehumidifier. For most indoor setups a dehumidifier is so important and overlooked, you can buy one that has a dial so you can set it. The one I have also has the option of hooking up a hose to drain the water it collects so you don't have to empty it.

:)

-B

I should have been doing this years ago ! Thanks for the advice - totally going to get a quality dehumidifier. I think I should only have to water the plants about once every 3 days with this system.

10 - 20 pounds a month your going to need allot more room then what you got going and allot more plants for instance to achieve that your would need 3 rooms min as well as a clone and pre veg room around 700 plants in various stages and harvesting every 3rd week IMO i think your far from ready for something this scale this would take one or to grow cycles to get in sink meaning 3 - 6 months to start getting plants to size and have enough behind them to place every 3 weeks sounds easy on paper or thought but to actually make it happen is to different stories i ran perpeutual harvesting 7 pounds every 2 second week and let me tell you i has no life it was full time either trimming making clones or transplanting and i got burnt out after 6 months to me not worth it let alone having stupid amount of plants in different growth stages

• Like 1

Okay Okay - that makes sense. I was looking today at getting 2 Sun Hut Tents (9.4 ft x 4.7 ft x 6.5 ft). Do you think that I could manage it? How much weight do you think I would turn out with that size of space?

HP, never worked in a "tent" so I don't have any advice on them. The way I set mine up in the beginning was to divide the rooms with panda wrap. Your mother and clone room doesn't need much light so it won't produce much heat. Use the majority of your funds on the bloom rooms.

Bagwell is right on about being a full time job. Perpetual grows on any size are just that perpetual. I don't know what your experience level is but you'll have to do some runs to find your best producing female. How quick she clones and how fast she flowers along with smell, taste, buzz etc..

If perpetual and weight is the goal. There are a few people on here that seem to have a lot of experience with that. I personally think easier is better and in that regard ebb & flo is really easy. Just toting water around is a full time job, you'll see. Hopefully you'll get other growers input here soon. My advice is take it a little slow and plan everything to make all stages as quick as possible.

I've only grown for pleasure. So quality, ease and variety were my goals. You can message me any time you have a question and I'll do my best to help. Bagwell is honest and straight to the point. Most that have " been there done that " aren't going to sugar coat anything. You can manage anything if you have a plan and can gauge what's coming.

I spent close to half my budget on climate control. It makes things real easy when you have total control over climate. Lights are so cheap now. I'm waiting to see how bagwell's grow with the LED's go.

-B

• Like 1

Welcome to OG HP

It depends on the growers skills, the best gear and genetics in the world won't amount to a hill of beans unless the grower knows what they're doing, the growers skills directly impact weight, potency, and flavor/aroma.

From you're OP it sounds like you haven't grown much if at all and plan to get rich growing so here's a few other things you might want to consider before you get started.

how are you planning on selling what you grow? It's not nearly as easy or lucrative as the DA makes it sound, apparently they can sell roots and stems for $20 a gram :rolleyes: but not to anyone I've ever met.

Have you looked into the local laws? What are you going to do if the cops come knocking? are you ready to spend a few years behind bars if you get busted? Lose everything you own as "Proceeds of Crime"? Get stabbed, shot, or your head caved in by rippers?

Not trying to be a killjoy, very few people get rich growing, many more end up poorer but wiser, a few have wound up dead.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

• Like 2

Balza is right Actually its a myth that your going to get rich growing weed unless you know what your doing it costs money to make money i mean one time shot couple warehouses and your set do it once and walk away take proceeds and invest etc with maybe 500,000 but again initial cost maybe 100,000 and lets not forget you get caught that is life imprisonment.

You got a lot of obstacles, ahead of you your goals should be completing a grow weights come in time with experience

• Like 1

Great points! Fear is your friend. Plan for the worst! If you're not a little freaked out you may want to stop and make a new plan.

Nothing wrong with baby steps.

Good luck

-B

• Like 1

It sounds like I need to start simple and easy to get the hang of it and come out of the experience wiser. I've never been able to talk openly about starting a grow and I want you all to know that I appreciate the time you took to dish out wisdom. Now.. It looks like I have to get some sprouts sprouting.

• Like 1

well no has mentioned your location from what I read. To me that screams even more issues with heat etc. You will most probably be running AC units as well and so your power requirements go up and up. The cost of running 6k watts continuously will be about the cost of 1kW/h * 6 which should be rather easy to figure looking at a utility bill. Then on top of all that you will probably need to re-wire the basement, can't remember the last time I saw more then (2) 240V outlets in a house here in the states and those are normally 30A or greater.

Good luck

I see this was a few months ago now, I wonder what he ever decided??