•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

BagWell

Making BHO shatter and other goodies

Hey all as promised i decided to do a step by step procedure with pictures on DIY purging system as well as making shatter from start to finish to give everyone who is interested a idea on how it works and what final product looks like ..

Product i will b using is 3/4 pound of buds as well as fine trimmings shake

tubes will be custom made locally glass blown 8 " and 12" x 32mm test tubes Pyrex

Will keep bud extracts and trimming extract separate as to see color and quality difference between them for first couple oz run ....

If there close then rest will be all added together to make one big batch

also will show some medical grade creams we made as well as edibles

Thurs / Fri coming she is start times :)

gallery_11738_4908_140128.jpg

• Like 9

I was just telling the guys that I had never had shatter or dabs.

will be watching because I would like to make some.

• Like 1

Well you come to the right place guys i am not taking all credit for this cause its more or less what friends, friend showed me as i made my stuff above in picture and that is all he does is shatter

but we will break it down step per step with also actual cost spread sheet for items etc thermometers , electric pans etc glass drill bits its going to be fun making or trying to copy buddies DIY purging system

But i tell yeah i am loving dabbing and whats even better it will be a nice stocking stuff er for my close friends with miniature torch included :)

• Like 2

Hey all ok So getting things together as i am building Diy purger and getting all materials needed to do everything from start to finish ..

So everyone is invited ,, Lets make a open grow Diy purger together with many growers on here already making BHO i think everyone can contribute to this thread ,,,,,, with ideas mistakes they have made or what ever ...

Parts list break down initial cost might be expensive if purchasing everything new but once you got it all only costs is butane refills and your time .. also you may already have many parts kicking around

So with all this said ...............

NOTE:

I will not be held responsible if you blow your self up Remember SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY so do this outside or in a very well ventilated room with over 60 % RH to combat static electricity that you may encounter and not close to a pilot light etc or a open flame source :)

and reminder CELL PHONES off during this process

Lets Giver :)

Couple pairs of safety glasses and good elbow high insulated gloves if you got fire retardant coveralls USE it like i will until i am Actually done everything remember static electricity can and will ignite butane fumes

Fire Extinguisher , and a blanket in case you ignite least you might be able to cover your self and roll

Electric frying pan used 20.00 Black n decker Teflon coated

2 - candy thermometers 10,00 Walmart up to 200 deg

2 - 10 " and 12" Test tubes with butane holes -- 40 bucks with possible beveled ends to stop accidental blow outs

2 - cases of butane colibri butane 40.00

Remember choose a decent butane that has the least amount of impurities

Coffee Grinder ..

Couple metal auto clamps 2.00- 3.00 And non chlorinated coffee filters

Last but not least is glass pyrex pan

and one sided razor blades

and insulated welding gloves long pair

So this is pretty much covers first part of making BHO ,,, 120 bucks give or take 20 :) again like i said you all might have 90 percent of the stuff already

• Like 1

So as buddy explained that the best BHO is the freshest material used less then a month old product longer the product has been around ,,, many might of thought as well as my self longer or older product would be better I guess not in BHO

The more loss of taste and hash tasting it will become the older the product is keep that in mind

,, Again this is what i been told Don't quote me on that ...

And i am no pro to BHO but a rookie But it makes sense,,

So the first process that i did is to make sure my product is DRY, and refined. how i did this is by removing all stems using a coffee grinder and grinding it all up no need to go crazy on coffee grinder just a couple grinds to break it all up on second run you can grind it up fine ,

Then placing it in oven for 10 - 15 mins 170 degree ( De Carb ) Again not sure if this makes a difference or not but that is what i am doing

then allowed to cool down placing it all onto wax paper and in cookie pan spreading it all out placing wax paper on top and into a freezer for 24- 48 hrs prior to start... i will start this process tomorrow

Reason this should be done is butane has a slight water solubility ,, and if product carries any water or has water molecules At room temps will be pushed out from wash from my readings and also buddy explained it....

comes undesirable water solubles which include chlorophyll,and plant alkaloids,, which will make taste undesirable..

so the goal is avoiding water solubles at all costs .. Freezing product i think the best way to control water solubility ..or at least one way

And the way we are doing it

So this is how i am prepping product prior to use

• Like 1

Now comes the important part operating temps when doing this. And why so many people get fooled, into copying what other people use what might be a good temp for me might not be a good operating temp for you ,,

I never thought of this before but buddy stressed the importance when dealing with extracts or boiling points

and that is elevation or altitude to sea level which will make a huge difference in your final product

Boiling point of THC is 314.6 Deg F or 157 degree C @ sea level but lets step back a bit here thank god for internet and local weather all you need to do is google what your altitude to sea level is in your area , and full detail of barometric weather etc etc

use this tool to figure out what temps you need to run everything at for instance 100 degrees to boil water yet when you fine tune it in altitude its less then 100 degrees or maybe more ????

To boil water etc 5 - 10 degree could very well mean your returns will be less as you burn up your product See what i mean now that you know the difference between your 100 degree boiling water be it 2 - 5 - 10 degree difference you can apply it by adding less heat to achieve more yield and same great results

for instance i know i am 4 degrees less then 100 to boil water so i subtract my 4 to the 157 Sea level THC boil point and now i will run my water in pan @ 152 - 153 just below boiling point or 1 - 2 degrees above pending on how fast i want to purge or get rid of butane also pending on what your true value boiling point is

http://www.csgnetwor...2oboilcalc.html

I truly believe slow purge with less amount of heat is better then running things at max for fast purging of Butane's

Note when using a Neg pressure Purge system you will need to figure out right temps as well Neg pressure boiling points molar mass etc etc we will get to that when i switch from my first purging to final neg pressure purge as well as pump sizes under standing microns etc etc ..

PS give it a try with that tool put in your location parameters and try boiling water at the temp it states on bottom :) use a thermometer to dial in actual temps

• Like 3

please be 100% sober from start to finish if you are doing anything that makes a flammable vapor cloud. if you don't have the will power to stay completely focused you will stay a lot safer focusing on edibles and water extractions.

zero room for any errors. fire does not forgive.

make sure any waste material does not get sealed in a bag or container until any flammables have thoroughly evaporated.

and it can't be good for the environment to blow off cans of butane. if you can afford a closed system that captures and reuses the butane that's the only way i think it should be done. greatly reduces any fire danger and any environmental damage.

apparently smoking pineapple diesel brings out my inner mom. sorry about that. great freaking weed.

• Like 2

Hey all little heads up, I planned on doing this today but something i ordered that should of been here yesterday ... never showed up as usual,,, It comes in tonight so i get it tomorrow after noon . So plans are to do it Sunday..

Cheers BW

how to make shatter and loose your fat ass?

what's the deal with all the links to poop no one cares about? if you want to share how you lost x number of pounds or whatever, start your own thread. don't be an inconsiderate tool and muddle up other peoples.

So, I've got a quick question about vaccum purging. Is the vac purging absolutely necessary? I was reading that you can actually make shatter either way (with or without vac purging). I don't make shatter myself but some of my buddies do and I just want to make sure they're doing it as safely as possible...and I don't think they've been vac purging.

@CHakra - I have made BHO numerous times for over the past year. When I started I didnt have purge system, I quickly got one. and if you plan to do it much, i highly recommend a vacuum purging stage. While a few can produce great without it, most will have lots of residual gas in the mix. I always thought I was getting mine clean and when I first purged, I was shocked, there is just a lot that gets trapped. For me I have found purging helps to produce a much cleaner product and helps remove the harmfuls from the mix, it has also helped me get a good control over the process and be able to better control my outcome and consistency of the product

gallery_8754_4991_2072498.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_480560.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_744664.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_2312351.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_2788777.jpg

gallery_8754_4991_2260186.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, @starinhazy! I was starting to get concerned because I kept seeing purging, specifically vac purging, listed as pretty much essential and like I said, my friends aren't doing it. Now that I know how much it impacts the purity, I'm going to forward this thread to them so that maybe they'll be convinced to go the extra step - no one wants to smoke that toxic stuff!