•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Undergroundgreenery

IMPORTANT NEED HELP

Hey guys quick question! We have a scrog in a 5x5 with one 600watt digital dimable with a hps for bloom. It is vented through a carbon filter then to my 423 Cfm fan then through ducting out the tent through an ozone filter directly outside the house. So no hot air build up at all.

The question is will my tent be able to hold up another light hood and bulb? I am talking about putting another 600 watt light on the side of the first 600 to give my plants in the 5x5 a total of 1200 watts of light ever dispersed.

Question I'm in need of answers for

1) can the tent support it

2) will it be to much for the plants?(I don't get how it would be but was told by grow store it will be to much yet people run 1000 watts all day long in 5x5's)

3) the venting -could a future heat issue arise?

4) any foreseen problems that may arise along the way ?

1 try it n find out, should be ok.

2 the plants will love that much light.

3 heat could be an issue, but you said they're dimable ballast

4 there r always learning curves along the way

GO FOR IT!

• Like 1

1 probably, it would help to know the brand of your tent though.

2 no, compared to sunlight it'll still be pretty mild

3 possibly, depends on temp of the air at the intake, could get pretty toasty if the room gets hot.

4 probably, the only people who don't have to deal with unforeseen problems are dead.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

• Like 3

Hey guys thanks for the advice! The tent is a I want to say either gorilla or sun hut I forget which we simply just have to many from our apartment days. The word in the side of the tent is dre??

But it is fairly strong I believe.

I wanted to get a double hood that would accommodate two bulbs with deprecate cords and they have them bit they are three times more expensive then using my already owned hoods.

Also someone just posted earlier about using two hoods in there tent and staggering using both a bloom hps bulb and a metal halide bulb for veg simolatinously for better yields but I may be and most likely am wrong but I thought that it didn't actually work. What are your guys thoughts about this? Should I run both halide and hps or just halide for veg and just hps for bloom?

if it's a gorilla you could probably hang 20 lights in it, they're as well built as anything on the market.

DRE, maybe a Secret Jardin Dark Room model?

Don't Panic.

With 1200 in a 5 by 5 tent you'll start needing to run an air conditioner in the room. Just run it in the room and keep it at 67 or so, the tent sucks that in and cools way down. You can also turn the exhaust down then.

gallery_833_383_103004.jpg

I even added a half tent to the side to make more space and still needed cooling after the second light.

But once I did get AC, I could add even more light, so I plonked a 400 MH from veg bump the power and improve the spectrum.

Hang the heavy stuff in the corners and if you have to get some three quarter PVC pipe and tees to reinforce it in the middle. That also keeps the sides from getting sucked in so much.

With two 600s in cooltubes and a bare 400 MH in one of those, and have to run AC most of the year. A small standup two hose unit will set you back about $500 or so, and it will be the best money you ever spent.

This here was in the 5 by 5 in summer before I remolded.

gallery_833_383_26427.jpg

That would not have happened without cooling.

• Like 5

Hey guys quick question! We have a scrog in a 5x5 with one 600watt digital dimable with a hps for bloom. It is vented through a carbon filter then to my 423 Cfm fan then through ducting out the tent through an ozone filter directly outside the house. So no hot air build up at all.

The question is will my tent be able to hold up another light hood and bulb? I am talking about putting another 600 watt light on the side of the first 600 to give my plants in the 5x5 a total of 1200 watts of light ever dispersed.

Question I'm in need of answers for

1) can the tent support it

2) will it be to much for the plants?(I don't get how it would be but was told by grow store it will be to much yet people run 1000 watts all day long in 5x5's)

3) the venting -could a future heat issue arise?

4) any foreseen problems that may arise along the way ?

Well, sounds like fun, but I'd ask the right questions first. Like, Why would you put 2 600's in a 5 x 5? How many additional ounces are worth all the trouble? Are you searching for yield? Potency? Have you researched TOO MUCH LIGHT, CANNABIS? Does the added stress to the plants of more light offset any additional yields? The answer is almost always a resounding "YES!!!" (IMO)when it comes to super charging your light setup, in small spaces. There's a point of diminishing returns. The A/C setup is way cool, though, easiest and most expensive way to fix heat issues.

I run one 600 in a similar space, and in an 8 foot ceiling, I can put it all the way to the top, and still have fabulous plants, it's PLENTY of light in that size space. In fact, I've found most strains do BETTER when I stop blinding them with light. There's some science to this, too, as plants produce auxins based on light, and if they are asked to do too much, they can't process water and nutrients as efficiently. I've also created light burn with one 600.

I do supplement with a bank of T5's on the sides, but even thats unnecessary in a good scrog, I see little gains. Good luck!

Why would you put 2 600's in a 5 x 5? How many additional ounces are worth all the trouble? Are you searching for yield? Potency?

You really have to ask>

gallery_833_383_43657.jpg

• Like 5

im with scone on this, the more light the better as long as you can keep temps un der control. ive run 2 thousand watters in air cooled hoods in a 6x4 with 8 feet ceilings and that setup easily pulled a gram per watt. ive also ran the same setup with non vented adjust a wings[2 thousand watters] and i gotta say the adjust a wings gave a way bigger footprint than the air cooled hoods. the air cooled hoods were those huge ass magnum xxl type too. cooling your room works great too as long as its done properly. but to get back to the topic, i see absolutely nothing wrong with the extra light as long as you can control heat and aint too worried about the extra costs on the power bill.

more light , more yield amw

• Like 1

There is such a thing as diminished returns. But with temprature control 1200 watts is great and you can go bigger if you want as you dial it in of course. Then if you can or want to bump up the CO2 levels or provide excess air exchange it will give you an extra temp. buffer.

-Passion

It all depends on what your after.

Higher temps vape off the terps I want in mine.

If I was working production, the electric bill becomes the deal breaker. The cost of opening a warehouse is not much next to the annual bill to light and cool the place as well as all the other stuff running. I can do that too, but I would never have the space to really prove it here.

I am growing both personal stash and what I consider my 'demo tape' so I flood the plants with light run 70F and have MH added for spectrum. I want samples to have the best possible combination of stinky grease and hash.

• Like 3

Hey guys thanks for responses!

Hey scone! Great grow there'! We have quiet about of grows going already. Around five apartments and two greenhouses for outdoor year round we are a non profit and also provide free meds for veterans and terminal patients.

So we love seeing people who have done this to get a better idea so I really appreciate the respond! But we Are going to run two 600 hoods with the glass so it keeps heat down Aton we found out plus we live in a very cold area so heat isn't a problem any more we found out.

Did your yeild increase significantly! ? What about quality? Thanks for your help buddy!

Hey diesel!!

My question is why not run two 600 ? People run 1000 watt in 5x5 all the time with great results it's only a 200 watt difference . We have run rooms with 5 before and 10 before same size room same size plants the 10 room always has denser heavier and much more resinous buds with great quality so we wanted to try it with just a five by five.

Also I came cross this crazy link maybe some of you have seen it but I'll post it when i find it !

Check this crazy fuck out! NOTE: this plant and video are NOT OURS, We came across this on the internet!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqID5km1WbVoAvC.3mWRH;_ylu=X3oDMTBzc2M2MjdyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMTE-?p=world%27s+Biggest+Indoor+Marijuana+Plant&vid=7f936a98b2280a915ece3f9188c462a8&turl=http%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DWN.jVVw5JXeRQisASRHbmd0VA%26pid%3D15.1%26h%3D225%26w%3D300%26c%3D7%26rs%3D1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DynIoLKwsriI&tit=Return+of+ALICE+Massive+Plant+with+Super+Size+Buds+%28Alice+is+her+name%29&c=10&h=225&w=300&l=181&sigr=11bb0836e&sigt=126u9g010&sigi=12lkkrhnb&age=1346409778&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&fr=iphone&tt=b check this out

Everything good increased at the same time.

Here is the 5 by 5 space with two 600s running for a full cycle.

This was before I added a 400.

• Like 1

You really have to ask>

gallery_833_383_43657.jpg

Absolutely I have to ask, it's a fair question. Nice bud though, seen it with shoe box size grows, too. Just sayin. I agree, though, if you've got the gear, more PAR is better. Seen lots of guys drop from 1000,s to 600's, too, for heat. There are also significant variances in HPS bulb yields, which I searched as an option without adding watts. An Agrosun 600 is much faster an d effective than say, a Digilux. I started with Agrosun 430 years ago, tried everything else, went back to Arosun 600 and swear I knock a week off flower times.

Wish I had more space, I'd be playing with it. I'm just jealous. Lol.

Scoan, what are the two monsters that flowered so fast in the back of the film. I enjoyed that.

Rule of thumb for me is 45 to 50 watts per square foot.

yeah scone me too brother! ive run some big ass grows for profit but those days are gone unless the laws around here drastically change. any time i added more light and could keep temps manageable, yields always increased enough to make the extra efforts more than worth while. and if temps are a lil too high add co2 and your crop will thank you for it. not rediculously high temps but say normal is 75 degrees f and temps get up as high as 85 to 90 degrees f then add co 2 and watch the branches break from the excessive weight unless you support em. these are tried an d true methods not just google saying it too, lol!! ive always had to see things myself but have always been willing to learn from the gurus of opengrow. lotta top notch blades around here to learn from, and i really appreciate everything that yall contribute to this forum, amw

Hey guys and hey scone! Thanks for the advice buddy I ended up going wth the original plan and added that second light in there! I love the way those two grew in the back is that because of the size of them to begin with or just monster strain? Also you said co2 to battle heat? In a five by five we run tank co2 so that should battle the heat some what?

In the green house we have a forced air cooling wall with six huge fans behind it. Bit like I said we are 100% non profit. Terminal patients growing for terminal patients 100% legal on state level

Ever try no reflectors? Just a thought...

If you ever see a for profit publicly traded company grow their flowers with bare bulbs…wait it'll never happen….they own light meters.

I couldn't see using bare bulbs except in a vertical grow, yo-yo or vscrog, google Heath Robinson vertical grow for some fine examples, he's done just about everything that can be done with vertical bare bulbs and has said that "vertical grows will never yield more".

the big advantage of vertical is you can get more grow area and run more watts in the same size of room, especially if your room is vertically challenged.

If I had a 5x5 gorilla and was pushing for yield I'd buy the top extension and an air conditioner and run a couple thousand watt bare bulbs one above the other on a yo-yo and grow 4 foot donkey dicks on 7 foot tall plants :dribble:

or a second tent and run them horizontal in air cooled hoods.

Stay Safe

BalzOut