•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

HeartIandHank

Pollen Chucking / Breeding Thread

I like UB but he knows shit about cannabis strains , organic cannabis growing and curing. It's just not important to him and he hasn't tried California grown. I also love wine and reccomended some of the best wines I've ever tried. ( L'aventure from Paso Robles, starts at around $100 a bottle but mind blowingly good ). Not interested.

He was interested in his POV and unwilling to try new things.

Sure you can grow good weed with Peters but if you think it's the same as someone tweaking the mixes with guanos and teas and curing it well rather than open plastic bags you are kidding yourself. Very nice man, stubborn and he gave some of the worst weed growing advise.

Spraying spin out instead of just trimming roots as you up pot or better yet , using an airpot is toxic. Growing has moved light years beyond the advise he gave.

Living in California , near Napa , I am lucky to get some of the finest weed and wine. I will say the food in Texas is excellent. Very few places are conducive to wine grape growing .

Just because I don't like his advise doesn't mean I don't like the guy. He was pretty funny and he has had a successful marriage which is a bigger success than many will have.

I still remember him going on about how wonderful 'Round-up' was.

He seemed proud that Monsanto engineers used to drink the stuff....

Commercial farmers uniformly liked it....

Until one day

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/roundup-cancer/

(first google hit, sorry)

Whoops.

Bragged up the wrong she-ite I think.

Commercial farmers and ranchers are good in their own areas....but I'll grow my own fruits and veggies and get 4H cattle and hogs from kids that actually care about the animal, not profits.

I end up with better than prime beef for less than $3 a pound in the freezer and pork for $1 a pound.

I'd trust a kid trying to prove their merit vs. a lifelong farmer trying to earn his profit anyday.

Grapes are pretty easy to grow and the only time you have to tend to avocados is if a freeze happens.

They just take care of themselves. (grown both, easy....try asparagus if you want something difficult to grow).

Santero have you ran across anything you didnt like that used the nepali as a mother? I havent. That is a cut ide love to have. Loving that nepali X temple.

I don't know much about his cannabis growing philosophy. So, i can't really say much there I guess.

Other than some Dalat seeds he gave me we never really talk MJ.

I suppose we are on a MJ site, aren't we? :smoke

Yeah.. he does run pretty freely with some hardcore stuff like Forbid 4F,, Bonzi, Malathion, Roundup and the like.. I won't argue with you there either.

Ya know.. he's a friend. I had to say something. B)

I do think that not contaminating your stored pollen with resin and plant matter is great advice though.. it is something that I would not have thought about had he not passed the tip to me.

• Like 1

I found this growing in the unders one of my plants last week

gallery_833_383_126865.jpg

I was on my way to the testing lab to get it tested when I ran into this chick in a red cape carrying a basket.

She has a pie in it for her grandmother who lived in the..,

Naw I smoked it.

I can't even begin to describe how unrealistically strong this stuff is for a purple that isn't finished or even dry yet.

At least not in a way that will make any sense

• Like 5

DR.

Some nice bud shots but they don't compare to how good looking you are!!

Peace

• Like 2

lol back atcha billman that tripped me out.

& Thanks...cant wait til week 9 man. wtf is she gonna look like then :dribble: this is the first one going all the way. had one i had to chop when summer came along.

I always wondered why you can buy seeds but not pollen I don't have the room for doing the male thing and so dont alot of other people : ( I think pollen would sell well , I'd buy it for a quick hit on one of my girls

just about everyone has the room, it's a matter of how they choose to do it. you need approx a slightly larger space then a 5 gal bucket foot print.

cfl's or lower wattage mh's will get you those seeds/pollen. just depends on the unit you build your unit.

or you can grow the plants in a trash can. they are a pretty cheap grow cab for males or seed making. 2 china hat shop reflectors with cfl's ...

We've been having a discussion at another site regarding plant health, plant stress , plants immune systems and light levels.

We've all been dealing with the same problems as we all got it from the same source . The person who is having the hardest time getting his mothers to recover keeps them under floros. Those of us who rotated our mothers under brighter lights and larger pots noticed a huge difference in plant health, vigor and immunity.

I grow both bonsai and small mothers in 3 gallon Geopots in cabs. The bonsai are under a 150 watt and are a lot more work to keep healthy vs the mothers under a 250 or 400. The lower wattage plants are more prone to both fungal and bacterial infections which we got from both 2 spotted spider mites and harmful nematodes. Pests are gone but we are eradicating secondary infections .

100% organic as chemical fed plants would have already died.

When sprayed , the lower wattage plants need a weaker dose as they don't have the root system or lights to handle it. I had some plants respond negatively to a treatment under a 150. Popped them under a 250 and they bounced back. Plants under higher wattage lights with the same treatments are perfectly fine.

When either growing for pollen or for making seeds, I am only using 600-1k.

The healthier your plants , the healthier your cuttings or seed. I've made seed under floros and they are fine, but if you are talking optimum , I'm just putting this out there.

My plants currently under a 1k are symptom free and going gang busters.

You have to be gentler with the plants under the lower wattage lights.

My experience . Not an expert as I've only been playing with this for a year.

• Like 1

I only measure someone process/equipement/style after appreciating what they are trying to do at what level.

Generally on forums people think you can barely keep your mom alive and she will keep laying golden eggs. Well this aint no golden goose and she needs proper environment and nutrition to lay those good eggs. So, unless on an extreme budget and/or other limitations that cannot be overcome, I would not easily recommend CFL/Floro for mothers.

For home growers a floro or cfl is pretty common for varied reasons other than optimization. I really do not recommend these lights for mothers as the mothers are bigger plants that require a different environment and nutrition than clones and rooting to early veg plants.

In my view

Floros/CFL are good for putting a plant into stasis or a holding pattern, good for clones and rooting, good for micro grows. For keeping a plant in a stasis mode this is not ideal for maintaining best health through this period.

LED, MH, and HPS from 250w - 600w I think is ideal based on total veg space. If using lower wattage LED I would place in the floro and cfl aspect. I saw a high end floro (induction lamp) on steroids that was very good for mothers but I think cost wise its not a good choice.

Its really about the environment. The better environment the better growth. Once optimal environment is achieved only then can analyzing lights and nutrition and whatnot can really be tested for a good review.

Their are always exceptions and good for you if you are one! I state what I state based on merit, atleast for me anyways.

:spliff:

Hempyfan,

Jah Bless!

• Like 1

^ with enough T5's.. I've seen people get results comparable to a 400w mh. One specific grower with T5s I see him consistently do better than quite a few do with a 600. Though he is using about 20 4 ft ho t5s over a roughly 4x4.. Also, you can get LED like perfected spectrums with T5s if you get into aquarium type lighting combinations..

I've always kept my mothers under floro.. this is something I would like to change in the future though. My next grow room build will be the first that I really do the plants justice on the vegetative end. Which like posted above, is so damn important. Back in my early days, I did not realize/want to admit that.

IMO though.. with T5s, used properly, you can get something pretty close to HID / LED results in veg.. takes a lot of bulbs and in the right combinations. Check out Riddleme / RM3.. he does it in flower. That guy can take what you know about HID vs T5 and turn it upside down. It took me almost 2 yrs of watching his threads to come around, but I'm a believer now.

If you need to use 20 florescent bulbs and all those ballasts, doesn't it seem more intelligent to just use one bulb and one ballast?

It seems like a laborious and inefficient way of doing things.

You won't be saving electricity, set up labor, heat or money. You have to do all that work to get the same PAR as a simple 400 watt bulb. So why not just get one bulb?

I can walk out the door of lumatek with a 400 watt ballast and bulb for 150 bucks. You can get this 600w digital ballast for $150.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221893745226?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82.

a 4' 8 bulb T-5 set up is $187.00

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/91568/GROW-FLP48.html?utm_source=SmartFeedGoogleBase&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=GROW-FLP48&utm_content=T5+Reflectors+-+8+Lamp&utm_campaign=SmartFeedGoogleBaseShopping&gclid=Cj0KEQiAq920BRC8-efn57XrotYBEiQAlVlMQ61-wzCQ9WCdFAK0VHTBPsuxW4njY9D7fLnAOzB5mRoaAudH8P8HAQ

The subject was that you need more light to have healthy plants and yes, if you got 20 -50 4 ' T5 bulbs it would be equal to a single 400 watt or 1K. But why bother with all that?

Good Luck with your seeds.

• Like 1

@the joker

I was more so replying to the post below than yours but it does all tie in for the most part. I was just throwing in my opinion on the idea that T5s cannot handle good healthy vegetative growth. My problem with that being, I've seen good healthy flowering growth from them.

For home growers a floro or cfl is pretty common for varied reasons other than optimization. I really do not recommend these lights for mothers as the mothers are bigger plants that require a different environment and nutrition than clones and rooting to early veg plants.

But yeah.. he is actually using more light than I am with a 600 over the same space.

I think his preference with the T5 is spectrum. HPS, in reality, is not a great spectrum for plants, imo. It packs a punch but is far from optimal.

That is the cool thing about t5s.. with aquarium bulbs, reptile, uv and pure par bulbs you can put together very specific spectrums that you cannot get with HID.

As to the expense.. ya, right? Wouldn't be cheap. But if you're only flowering a 4x4 for personal use and you like the t5 over your past hid grows, then, probably worth the money.. different strokes.

His setup involves something like 2 6 bulb fixtures and 1 8 bulb fixture, I think. Ballast are built into fixture though so it doesn't really become a problem of maintaining 20 ballasts.. just 3 fixtures.

On the seeds..

I'm still new to this Blue Dream cutting. It should be interesting to see what she offers as a mother. It was just a quick little application of fresh pollen to a lady in flower. My SSH hybrid is getting the attention more so.

I would never hold judgement on what works for someone. I might have an opinion and view point but that is different. At least for me it is different.

Looking forward to your workings. I love to see people doing their thing. It is how I genuinely learn something from time to time. At least that is what I tell myself anyways and I wonder if at time I just a good personal liar :smoke

I am always looking for ease and efficiency. What is the simplest way to get the best product with the least problems in my environment. It's still a ton of work. The idea of having to replace 20 bulbs every 6 months instead of just one doesn't suit me.

I'm also a big sprayer, neem oil, aact, antibacterial. Side lighting would be coated with oil. I cover the bulb with a paper bag when I spray. How do I not get oil onto side lighting and 20 bulbs? Intrinsic on Overgrow used to pull huge buds off this floro pyramid thing in an attic that conformed to the angles of the ceiling.

I'm working with some very old school genetics right now. I'm on a pollen run with a lot of pollen to be produced that will be desiccated and used on a few different strains in the next few months. All genetics from North America and Canada except for one which is kind of European but derived from American genetics. We'll see. Not always so easy.

• Like 1

Hey Joker, on a side note, of all that you have enjoyed, what has stood out the most to you over the years?

From weed that I've grown... Pure Kush... Cherry Pie... Sour D... Chemd ... Bubba Kush and Romulan Joe's Indica... Pine OG.

I've loved a bunch of other strains, but those are the ones I wish I could grow again.

From seed , I really got lucky with Chocolate Rain. Grape Krush and Coco Kush from DJ Short. Blue Satellite 2.2, Blockhead and Sweet Tooth no. 3 from Spice of Life.

I lost a few moms to broad mites. I still have Pure Kush, Amnesia Haze, Girl Scout Cookies, Romulan Indica, Cookie Monster, Sour Diesel and Grape Krush x Pure Kush that I made. Been loving the Sour d, very nice smoke.

How about you?

• Like 1

Mob Boss is my current favorite. F2's. of different pheno's were made and am working with those. I tend to run my own workings but from time to time will run something that I think is compatible to what I have to see how it rates I might try a pack of something but typically I just use my own stuff.

I also have a strain I call Mad Boss which is Mad Scientist regular (forum f2 seeds from years ago) I crossed a daddy with two heavily tested Mob Boss females of different phenos that have bred correct. These are very good as well.

A killing kush I got as a free seed once upon a time was amazing and as much as I hate to admit it, a choice super lemon haze from green house I still weep inside for. I also had a very potent and sugary but shit yield sugar punch but was so amazing she was run often regardless but she is around no more unfortunately.

I have seen a lot of good plant and genetics but its rare for me to really excited about something. Dynasty has some genetics that I think have some high end work in it. I think their Crater Lake v5 and salmon river have potential for something special I think.

Keep on keeping on!

• Like 1

Awesome thread. Ive got some stuff cooking right now. Selene x sugar punch, herijuana fugu kush and afghani.

I lost my last killing fields and sannies jack seeds i almost cried. I really dont want to order again but i want that purple killing field for future breedings.

My selene father did have purple pollen sacks so we'll see.

I ordered a bunch of landrace, pure indicated and pure sativa seeds.. for breeding.

Still working on my SSH cross.. but aside from that I have decided to do my breeding with landrace and pure only.. crossing mutts to mutts is fun but I wanna step up my breeding efforts and I think using the pure and landrace will be a better way for me.

Morrocan.. Hindu.. uzbekistani.. pakistani.. guatemalan.. hawaiian.. mexican.. south African kwazula. Kilmanjaro.. a bunch of deep chunk crosses and some other faster flowering sativas.

Most of the pure sativas are of the faster flowering type.. mostly south african.

Tried to get a little of everything.. but no Afghan and no Thai. Already have some vietnamese.

Getting a Durban cut from a friend for the project as well.

• Like 1

yup, ur route works better for stable offspring with less hassle to get there. u can find some awesome cuts using scatter bred stuff, but it all depends on your breeding goals .

u get the avg. of the line so it always pays to start with the very best genetic stock possible that is stable for serious breeding.

what's the origin of that durban cut. i responded to a poll that said durban was the best seller in colorado. i said they were unlikely to be having the serious dank durban that has been elusive for a couple of decades now.

my breeding ideas on various strains seems to be somewhat unique imho. some my version recreations i want to explore too; just to see if i can get something really nice, but different using similar genetics. still want to do outdoor strains that come in earlier than oct. 1st. in the northern us. , and see how well they can be adapted to indoors too keeping the lines separate if need be .

i'd choose an overall more balanced performer over a one trick pony more often than not. still if the one trick can be passed on consistently it's a keeper too imho. i'd like to preserve some of the older genetics if possible i have in my stable. work with them, and add in the newer stuff as ideas/circumstances allow. nothing is beyond a try.

like the old dog men always said. It's all in the blood , it's all in the blood. good ones are where you find them . holding on to those genetics/gene pool by passing them on to their offspring is always the challenge of the breeder . i love the idea of assembling the males, and females, and testing how well they combine . I'm just hoping my knack for fusion carries over into dealing with the sacred plant. :yummy: