•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Happy New Year OPG members! :wave:

To kick off 2016, I have started a little organic SOG operation for medical oil production.

I have included a few little steps as I go, please feel free to tag along and see my style of SOG :)

*Blame Hidronesia, his grows have inspired me back to SOG :P

Enjoy!

Rose.

gallery_10582_5305_63108.jpg

• Like 11

Okie dokie :)

At the present I have two 1mx1m flood and drain tables in a 1.5m x 3.0m area.

Over the top of each tray is a Dimlux 1000w 400v DE Fixture.

As I adore "recycled materials" I picked up some bricks from a garage sale *win! ...and also some black plastic pallets *win!

Height from floor to top of tray is about 900mm, height from top of tray to light is about 1100mm.

gallery_10582_5305_46806.jpg

As you may have noticed, there is a screen on top of the tray to support my SOG.

The PVC screen frame is 1m x 1m with the inner plastic coated 25mm x 25mm mesh being 900mm x 900mm.

I make the screen 100mm smaller to take advantage of the flexing properties of the PVC... the wire mesh has no stretch, so like a bow, it will allow me to create good screen tension ;)

I also mark out precise spacing with a white paint pen so that my cola spacing is razor sharp, but more on this later ;)

gallery_10582_5305_86573.jpg

This is just a quick shot of the threaded rod I use to support the screen.

I use wingnuts so that I can adjust the screen up and down to suit my desires and also so I can level/angle the screen if desired also :)

gallery_10582_5305_4824.jpg

• Like 6

Ok, lets fill the trays :)

First I lay down some mesh to allow drainage for the coco. You can use any fine mesh, I prefer "Gutter Guard" mesh as it is cheap and generally recycled in my case :)

It also allows more root space as opposed to lining the bottom with clay balls or perlite, so space saving ;)

gallery_10582_5305_10544.jpg

Now I have filled the tray with straight coco coir around about 50mm deep.

I sprinkle over the top some Azomite powder, BAC Bio Pellets and Great White Shark Myco.

gallery_10582_5305_23997.jpg

One of the reason I also mark out my screen for plant spacing is that I can use a screwdriver to point precisely vertical to the screen hole I want to use. It is an easy way without calculation ;)

gallery_10582_5305_76619.jpg

• Like 5

Time for some ladies! :D

After I sow these ladies in, I top dress the coco with Gnatnix, to help repel any Fungus Gnats and also keep my coco nice and moist for the bennies :)

On tray #1 we have (from left), rows from front to back,

8x Sour Amnesia (Hortilab)

8x Kali China (Ace Seeds)

gallery_10582_5305_48315.jpg

And tray #2 we have,

... I have forgotten now, bit fuzzy after NYE after all... *rubs temple* lol

8x Green Lemon #1

4x Green Lemon #2

4x Green Lemon #3.... or some way round like that :P

gallery_10582_5305_55703.jpg

Feed schedule is really simple.

I just feed them EWC tea every second day (soon to be via sprinkler system) and hand water once a week with BAC Organic Bloom nutrient at 3ml, no EC, no PH ;)

Enjoy!

Rose.

• Like 12

neat trick for height adjustment- beats my duct taped scrog for sure. that's a fine looking setup-- lots of colas coming in the future, I imagine.

• Like 1

Great looking set up! Will definitely pull up a chair. I was thinking of trying the gnatnix, as I've always seem to have fungus gnats. I was given a sample of a product called Golden Tree. After using this for a few weeks, I noticed that the gnats were disappearing, then gone. I can't afford that product, and started using a very inexpensive product called Extreme Blend from Kelp4less. A soluble powder containing amino acids, humic acid, fulvic acid, and kelp. Low and behold, no gnats have returned! I use alot of endomychorrizae and bennies, and these seemed to attract the gnats even more, but I haven't seen any gnats since. Strange! Sorry, going off topic. Very nice setup! Creative and very clean. I'll shut up and wait for the show! Peace-B.K

Looking very slick and professional in there, ROD!

I love your attention to detail...in the grow room and also the grow log. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for the kind words guys... haven't even started yet ;)

And what's with all these chairs...? :icecream:

i286823014207991731._szw425h320_.jpg

Is there any real difference between gnatix and perlite?

Id like to say particle size, but perlite can be as fine as you like.

As only a top dressing application, I would say they are equal if particle sizes are the same.

Both essentially kiln fired glass.

The main difference for me is that Gnatnix is made from recycled glass whereas perlite is mined ( not earth friendly) which is why I use it over perlite :)

• Like 1

nice! ill be watching this too.

50mm medium are enough? im a soil guy..

Boom

To be honest, I am giving this a bit of a cheeky push on soil depth :P

Ive noticed over time and experimentation that plant structure has a lot to do with root structure.

Plants that have a shallow and wider pot depth tend to grow wider and plants that have a deeper and more narrow pot depth tend to grow taller.

I imagine this is because in nature, if a plant has the ability to drive a tap root deeper, it can 'anchor' itself and grow taller without fear of a storm or breeze toppling it over.

If the same plant was grow on a say a shallow rocky area where the taproot could not penetrate deeply, it's root structure would be wide and flat to help anchor, and to maintain a better centre of gravity.

My experiences are conclusive to this.

So by having such a shallow depth in these trays, the plants would generally grow into a fatter, wider bush.

But because we are going to 'lollipop' and single cola these ladies, this should instead lead to a fatter, thicker cola with closer internode spacing.

This is also conclusive with past experience, but the most shallow I have ever done is 100mm... so this is cheeky :P

Time will tell ;)

Rose.

p.s, Im rarely a whimsical person, so if you notice anything, please feel free to interrogate :)

• Like 3

Excellent point, Rose.

I do believe that the width has something to do with what is occasionally referred to as the "drip line" , or rather, where the raindrops would normally runoff in nature. I foggily remember something that one of the park rangers said whilst on a walking tour of the sequoia national park this past summer. I was amazed looking at those sturdy giants and couldn't help but wonder how far down the tap roots of 300 ft trees go

it will be interesting to see if your intuition plays true

Hidronesia has no mercy :D I remember he had a similar setup but with hydroton.

All looks good to me.. maybe net cells r a bit too small, but hope u know what ur doin ;)

Happy new year! :)

• Like 1

Happy new year Cosmic grow :)

All looks good to me.. maybe net cells r a bit too small, but hope u know what ur doin ;)

Fortunately my mind is a calculating rubix cube forged of science and experience lol :P

The reasoning behind such a tiny 25mm cell will become clear ;)

Thanks for stopping in :)

Happy New Year OPG members! :wave:

To kick off 2016, I have started a little organic SOG operation for medical oil production.

I have included a few little steps as I go, please feel free to tag along and see my style of SOG :)

*Blame Hidronesia, his grows have inspired me back to SOG :P

Enjoy!

Rose.

gallery_10582_5305_63108.jpg

Is there any real difference between gnatix and perlite?

The gnat nix are more dense which forms a more impenetrable barrier. Also gnat nix has sharper edges and supposedly can cut pests open much like DE can. And then, the cost.. oh, the fucking cost.

Excellent point, Rose.

I do believe that the width has something to do with what is occasionally referred to as the "drip line" , or rather, where the raindrops would normally runoff in nature. I foggily remember something that one of the park rangers said whilst on a walking tour of the sequoia national park this past summer. I was amazed looking at those sturdy giants and couldn't help but wonder how far down the tap roots of 300 ft trees go

it will be interesting to see if your intuition plays true

Interesting idea.. of the "drip" line referring to the perimeter of the plants foliage.. named after the drip of rain from the foliage..

I've always heard the drip line referred to as where your roots are located. You irrigate along the drip line instead of at the base of the plant as the roots are sprawled to the drip line.

It would make sense that plants evolved to send roots to the spot where rain would drip from the foliage.

..the chicken or the egg..?

Ah, words.. how they make you think.

The cost is the whole reason I asked. Last winter we brought one of our tropicals in, and it came with a fungus gnat infestation. I ran out and bought this new Gnatix because I can't use the normal pesticides due to pets indoors. When i poured it on the dirt I noticed it looks a lot like the shitty perlite i get from the big orange store. I slapped myself for buying $2 of perlite for $11 bucks ...

DB