•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

MiNdLesS

philosophers' corner

hey fellow stoners!

because we are pot smokers i'm quite sure that there are some philosophic minds in here :D and because i like to chat with people about themes like the sense of being and stuff like that i wondered if there are some like minded people in this community who want to talk about this.

its not about religion or any dogmatic stuff...it's just ur and mine experiences questions and answers...kind of a 'stoned ramblings' in a neat way haha

i came to this idea because i like to think and try to figure out hiw shit is going and stuff. but i have 'just' one point of view (mine) and like to have also some inspirations and maybe keys to some similiar thoughts that help me to figure out....okay now its seems like a therapy-thread :D

...so any interest?

as kind of a stepping stone: i bought a book aome days ago...one physician and one philosopher of our time have a talk about 2500 years of philosophy and showing and discussing the great thinkers of our planet - very interesting and so much nice food for thought!

have a nice evening all

• Like 4

But to some people, it is going to be about religion, and it'll end up gettin dogmatic lolz ;p

My philosophy i think can be summed up by Conan...

"Crush the enemy, see them driven before you, hear the lamentation of their women."

Isn't that what life really boils down too? I mean, sure the apocalypse has not come yet so I am not hacking people down with my machete, but every obstacle is an enemy, and its defeat should be rejoiced in, because the next one could kill you and the dead do not celebrate.

DB

• Like 4

apocalypse doesnt mean the world is gonna be destroyed, it simply means 'delusion'. so no machetes needed ;) u have enemies? better get rid if them (dont kill though) i have none and im quite good with that :D

for me everyone is just another pov in this game, world, big illusion, call it what u want. fucked up shit is there to see good things and vice versa..i believe the purpose of life is to just recognize without the need to control. let life itself take control...the hobby of growing indoors is the total opposite of that haha

There's no reason why an enemy can't become a friend

Reach out and touch someone : )

I like

Winners make it happen

Losers let it happen

My philosophy i think can be summed up by Conan...

"Crush the enemy, see them driven before you, hear the lamentation of their women."

Isn't that what life really boils down too? I mean, sure the apocalypse has not come yet so I am not hacking people down with my machete, but every obstacle is an enemy, and its defeat should be rejoiced in, because the next one could kill you and the dead do not celebrate.

DB

Crom laughs at your Four Winds!

I remember when those "... For Dummies" books first came out. It looks like they've gotten out of control. I mean assuming it's not a gag.

I couldn'thelp but notice that It only took a few post on philosophy before the apocalypse and murder came up.

• Like 1

@foth

i bought and read many books! then i came to the conclusion, that everywhere is written some good points and a lot of crap....u have to find 'it' by urself. its simple logic, cause ur allways been and will be alone. anything that another person has written is not 'the' truth anymore, cause its their truth. i began to observe myself in relation to what i do, why i do an so on. i began to get to a knew lifestyle with this.

and u know, sometimes i cant put a feeling or a point of view into words, this is when books come into play...there were/are people who are very talented to put feelings and facts into words which can deliver this pov as it was thought. these i call observers. those people come from everywhere i.e. comedians, politics, religion, atheists, grandpa, kids, friends...but there are just a tiny little amount of this people, at least in my world :D all are philosophers in my eyes and this inspires me to think again/deeper or just toss stuff i already thought.

for asking myself what the fuck i do here i needed nothing, i just woke up and thought it. i wanted to get to people who also think this and met a lot of books.

greetz

this 'for dummies' book havent read but i saw it when i was buying the other one in the shelf above ;)

Heh, Karma (I mean, Mindless) - I just happened upon this thread after posting in the hash-making one. Philosopher's Corner as a subject line caught my eye, so good job on that :)

Also, sorry for resurrecting a 11-month old thread.... sorry I'm not sorry :P

Lately I've felt that the ultimate goal of life is to be as happy as possible, and spread that happiness to as many people as possible, without hurting anyone in this process. The question I often ask is where do we draw the line? If the circle has just me inside it, life is easy. I can make my life great, but I feel like it would come at the expense of those around me, but even if it doesn't, it doesn't feel like life truly blossoms when the only person you care about is yourself. So, lets say I expand that circle to my family and friends. Sure, I can feel pretty great about myself if I enrich my life and the life of those who are most important to me, but what about all those others less fortunate? You see where I'm going with this...

Where would you draw the line? Working for doctors without borders, a doctor could be out helping the most vulnerable people in the world... but their own quality of life could suffer since that type of work can be draining, and then it kind of encroaches on the first part of trying to be as happy as possible.

How do we decide who deserves our help, and who is not worthy? Working in the oilfield has opened my eyes to the lifestyles of blue collar workers, people completely different than the PhD parents and intelligentsia I grew up around. I will preface quickly that my dad found Catholicism on his own in his 20s, unique in terms of Polish people, since his parents were atheists and Poland is almost uniformly Catholic (post WW2 of course...). I was raised Catholic, and although we've spoken many times about how difficult it is to reconcile the Church's teachings and what we know about our universe, I still try to step through this world with kindness to all. Working in the oilfield, however, kindness is a weakness to be taken advantage of... Ech.. I have become hardened in the last 5 years, and am not sure if I like the person I'm changing into, and yet, I feel it is necessary for survival in this environment.

It seems that life is a balancing act between sacrifice and selfishness.

• Like 2

Thats the problem with kindness is its perceived as weakness in the modern world, it really sucks, while the real weak people are shown as being strong, while in reality they are just lost and dont know where to place their anger, the cycle of the early 20th century is starting again. The intelligentsia are labled enemies of the people as right wing ferver grips hold, with the economic conditions that allow its rise-the im alright jack mentality, screw everone else. Hate doesnt beat hate, never has, never will, it just makes more hate, which in itself is a paralitic, love and kindness are much more powerful motivators. Gandhi said be the future you wish to create, wise words i try to live by, with my personal caveat, but dont take the piss.

Hazy

• Like 2

Hey Guys!

Damar, where is the problem being hard and in the same time kind? Your behavior towards people and the ability to handle a rough job/situations and people has nothing to do with each other, imo :)

I found that the greatest pleasure I get is when I see things develop. Like u show people something and after some time they make all by themself and pretty good. U get shown things and after some time u are able to do it almost in sleep, u see relationships develop and such, life goes on.

life is like a movie. It's like I am the observer of myself. I learned somehow not to be slave by my emotions so much anymore and I give a lot of credit to our beloved plant for that and to some very smart people through the hundreds and thousands of years of human civilization history that managed to put certain feelings in words so one can identify.

IMO life is about recognizing the world and understanding it. It changed a lot in my social life. Instead of judging people's actions I try to find out why stuff happens or don't give a shit anymore. Also I don't take part in this small talk shit about other people and such, I hate it cause it's useless, useless speculations about stuff that doesn't affect ones life in any way.

In another thread it was said that the day to day issues is where one needs to put the focus on, treat as u want to be treated is one of my main 'laws' and it works well.

If u change in a certain way and even u don't like it than u do something wrong...

Greetz

@ Damar..hard does not mean "heartless".

I have been told lots of times that I was a "hard" man..i am far from heartless or cruel.

Lately I've felt that the ultimate goal of life is to be as happy as possible...

How Buddhist of you.

• Like 1

How Buddhist of you.

Is it? Haha, perhaps I should read up a little on Buddhism... but the second half of that sentence is about spreading the joy as well. I can't see how balancing one's own happiness with a certain amount of souls that one meet's on their path in life has anything to do with meditating, achieving mindfulness, or being centered. Buddha abandoned his wife and child to search for enlightenment. I'm slaving away at a job I less than love to provide a comfortable life for my wife and child. (and by slave away, I mean spend weeks away from them, a great portion of which is spent bothering all you good people on this forum).

And by hardened, I meant more like cruel and heartless. By hardened, I meant that I no longer gave people the benefit of the doubt out in the field, no longer tried to help them learn. Instead of saying nothing when I had nothing nice to say, I became like these assholes (again, not all of them) to fit in and not deal with their backlash. Because when I am nice, or try to teach, or do anything that is perceived as either kind or smart, I'm ganged up on by a vocal minority. Seems like a waste of time, but maybe being strong means persisting in spite of all this. Lately I've been trying to be myself again, and just ignore the naysayers, but it is definitely more taxing.

I should have used a different word than hardened... maybe disheartened... Although if I can push my kindness and spread knowledge to the working guys in spite of the dicks, maybe that will in fact be me being hardened. I am both a part of and something separate from each crew, as engineers rotate among the crews periodically.

[edit: after thinking a lot about what I wrote, I just want to make it clear it's definitely not as bad of a situation as I made it out to be. Those feelings are drawn from rare cases, most shifts I work are great. I am actually extremely lucky in so many aspects of life, I shouldn't complain about anything.]

But I still pose my original question to you guys... Where do you draw your own personal lines between who you help and who you ignore?

• Like 1

But I still pose my original question to you guys... Where do you draw your own personal lines between who you help and who you ignore?

If the help is effective and prevent problem from happening again if applicable.

If you look at it with emotion it will be difficult to truly see it.

• Help those who need and want to be part of the solution. Otherwise, they will only take from you.

Never help or give with hope of appreciation or future reciprocation. Most will let you down but choose wisely and this will be limited.

• It is about the situation and not you.

If you can be harmed or weakened by the help I would not easily recommend.

• Such as signing for loans and whatnot, no matter the reason generally this should always be no! A hell no, at that.
  • People who do not take care of their lives well, will not take care of you or any agreement once it is not easy for them to do so.

Each situation is different but be wise and intelligent and do not let emotion play a role. See it in black and white like on paper so to speak. Help people who are correct and not problems otherwise you merely enable and are likely the sucker in the room.

Hope that helps.

Double post like it makes me cool!

so I might as well not waste it

depends on how you define help, if it costs me money I don't consider it help but rather a hand out, if someone wants financial help I help them by directing them to a bank if they have a job or an employment/welfare office if they don't.

if someone wants help to buy food because they have no money I help them by directing them to the local food bank, etc.

If someone wants help to move a few boxes I help them move the boxes, if someone wants help moving to a new home I help them by recommending a good moving company.

So in a nutshell, I'll help anybody who asks, but I'll decide for myself what kind of help they really need, as often as not it's a swift kick in the ass.

Stay Safe

BalzOut

I have no static lines, they are rather flowing. if I help someone, doesn't matter how, depends on the situation, time and feeling. There are people that are worth it, then there are people that are not worth it but then come situations that make me find worth it to help even if the person is a total asshole...i know sounds crazy haha

Greetz

• Like 1