•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Roodni

Advice needed for accidental Sugar Punch pollination

Hi Guys, I'm back again for more advice :head_hurts_kr:

I'm currently growing 6 strains outdoors (in South Africa) in 50 L pots, including Sugar Punch (I'll post up a grow journal as soon as I get some nice pics of them ;) ). The average plant height is about 1.5 m.

The fuckup is that one of my Sugar Punches started flowering far earlier than expected---while I was on holiday---and while I still had a bunch of flowering males around (some amateur selection).

She was pollinated, but thankfully rather early on, and only the preflower at each node was pollinated. Still, this means that each of her 20-odd branches have around 15 seeds developing, and judging by the early (very mild) P & K deficiencies she showed before a transplant, it's sapping a fair amount of her resources.

My question is: will removing the developing seeds cause more harm than good i.e. cause her to throw male flowers?

I've got a picture of a younger side branch below. Buds are still developing, but ~300 seeds is sure to be quite a drain...

gallery_4870_5349_542229.jpg

Opinions/experience?

• Like 1

Just let the seeds grow.....

Sugar Punch is pretty stabel, so if you really want to do that...do your thing, but i dont understand it.....

Polinated girls will produce big cola`s to, just dont polinate more then 1 or twice

• Like 3

let her grow, without too much polination it will be worth continue and you might like the seeds made. She will want a bit more food.

• Like 2

How would you do that ............. With a head lice comb ? Lol

Your committed now just see it through : )

You would do far more harm than good in that exercise, and might just turn her into a hermie......

Let nature take its course bro.

• Like 1

usually once a plant has been pollinated it does not show intersexed traits.

just leave them as they are ... they will flower without making any problems

(as long as this sugar punch mother is free of that trait to begin with, the off-

spring of this pollination could bring in some interesting plants to play with).

usually seedmakers wait with dusting until the buds are as thick as your thumb

to prevent loss in yield, but that depends a bit on the genetics and also, how much

pollen flew ... i don't see any problem for the plant on the pic, due to so little dust

hitting them. she will develop and yield quite normal. a bit more nutes along the

ride will be necessary, but nothing drastic or extreme.

for seedmakers that pollinate with intention:

it'is important to run females unpollinated at least once or so to make sure they have

no undesired traits. some seedmakers pollinate right away, hermie-prone plants stop

showing intersexed traits but the offspring shows them if the mother was prone to this,

but pollinated whthout checking first ;)

• Like 7

I'm thinking .......... Pollinate my pre flowers ............ And I never have to check for hermies again ?

Don't spoil the dream lol

Might be nice insurance in a lighting stress type situation .............. Somehow ....... Maybe ? lol idk

A poorly built Light leaking flower room ?

Light stress is the most stressfull situation that you can create........period

I Always test my pheno`s with lightstress if they dont herm with lightstress 99% they dont herm

• Like 1

fool is right ... usually ;) (not as a dogma in canna world, cuz there aren't any, haha).

checking for light stress only still leaves a small amount of chance, which is not ruling out

the possibility that they bring in the trait and therefore not reliable enough, in my opinion -_-

(but we are all just chucking / hacking / seedmaking, which results in "ok enough", i guess.)

Thanks for the input guys!

I'm relieved that the consensus is that leaving them to develop will be better. I prefer letting nature take its course, but like the rest of us I want to get the best yield of the best quality possible. I think that 'why' was pretty explicit in my post ;)

That's some good info there San! Unfortunately I can't really move indoors again in my situation for winter, so I won't be able to test them so thoroughly. However, I will pollinate lower branches of all my plants with pollen from my favourite HK, Anna & CBH males' pollen in my freezer. Unfortunately the seemingly studly SJ male I had was a full blown hermie!

I'll start a thread when things get interesting enough for my lazy ass to document.

• Like 2