•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

The Rose of Darkness

How to make your own custom Mapito :)

Hi guys! :wave:

I was making up my first batch of custom Mapito today and thought... "Hey, take some snaps, somebody may find this useful one day" :)

This mix is based on 'Simplicity's P Ball mix' but have been given guidance by the Mapito Guru himself, Hidronesia* :tu

( *Hidro is reluctant to sign off on this ratio mix.... if it is successful, full credit to Hidronesia, if not, he takes no responsibility.... lol :P )

Either way, full credit to Hidronesia, Simplicity and all others who have pushed Mapito growing to what it is today :showoff:

Ok, lets make some Mapito!

gallery_10582_5392_42561.jpg

• Like 7

Ok,

First and most important step... safety!

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) that should always be used when working with Rock wool Fiber are:

#1 Eye protection/Goggles - Fibers getting into your eye will irritate them and make them very itchy. There are better ways to make you eyes red ;)

#2 Respirator/Dust mask - Inhaling Fibers can be very bad for your respiratory system and health. Smoking a cigarette as a filter while you work doesn't cut it ;)

#3 Gloves - Itchy hands make you look nervous and suspicious... wear gloves lol

#4 Full Protection Suit/Spray painters suit - You will resemble a government containment scientist from the 'X Files' and will sweat harder than a pedo in a playground, but for less than $5 it will prevent you from spending the next two sleepless nights itching and scratching because you have Rock wool fiber lodged in you skin ;)

You should resemble something like this...

PepsiCo-Graffiti-Life031.jpg

Now onto the mixing :)

First thing I do is shred up my Rock wool granulate to make it loose and fluffy.

Hidronesia gave me an excellent 'Tip Trick' for shredding using a paint roller handle and a drill.

gallery_10582_5392_29105.jpg

Simply cut the handle off the roller and insert into the drill (much like a DIY Eggbeater)

Works a charm, is quick and fluffs the Rock wool better than you could do by hand ;)

After a bit of a churn, should look a little like this...

gallery_10582_5392_55695.jpg

Next on the list we have our Shredded or Crumbed Foam (Purty colours :P)

gallery_10582_5392_11909.jpg

And our Polystyrene balls (PE Balls)

gallery_10582_5392_40105.jpg

• Like 2

Now the mix ratio I have decided on is:

33% Rockwool

33% Shredded Foam

33% P Balls

This is quite aggressive for a mix, but if it is not right, I can always add or subtract later to fine tune the mix.

Find a ratio that suit your style or use more traditional mapito ratios ;)

If you are only doing a small amount, then mix equal parts into a large tub and mix through with your hands.

In my case, I am going to be using 18L pots for my first run, so I have cut a bucket down to 6L use as a scoop/measuring cup.

Because I used to be a bit of a "Soil Wizard" mixing up many different ratios of mediums, I am going to use a custom mixer I have had for years.

It is a mini electric mixer built onto a table, with a hole through the table to pour the mix directly into the bucket ;)

gallery_10582_5392_12891.jpg

gallery_10582_5392_43829.jpg

Of course like I said, dont run out and buy a mixer if you are only doing a few pots... it wouldn't be worth the $$$ ;)

• Like 3

Right, down to business :showoff:

The first thing to add if using a mixer is the Foam.

This is very important.

When I consulted Hidronesia about using the mixer I was advised it may not be a good idea due to the foam automatically rising to the top and not mixing correctly.

When I added the Rock wool first and then foam and P balls, it did exactly that... bumbled around on top.

But after alternating a few times in the order I added them, I found that if you add the Foam, then the P Balls, then the Rock wool... the foam packed out/kept the Rockwool from getting compacted and lodged in the back of the mixer and mixed perfectly.

So first the Foam..

gallery_10582_5392_28885.jpg

Then the P Balls...

gallery_10582_5392_45398.jpg

Then the Rock wool.... turn the mixer over horizontal and mix! :popcorn:

gallery_10582_5392_59933.jpg

You will notice a sprayer head in the middle.

I use a misting pump pack with water just to mist for 5 seconds when I turn it over.

This stops the P Balls blowing out everywhere and minimizes the dust a little.

Don't use too much mist or it will soak the Rock wool and make it stick to the mixer like paper mache'

• Like 3

Around about 60 seconds in the mixer for me does the job thoroughly.

Bucket ready and I tip over into the hole ;)

gallery_10582_5392_52930.jpg

If you were wondering why the hole is smaller than mixer mouth, it is because I like to do a final inspection of my mixed media before it goes into the pot (30% quality inspection ;)

And presto... a 18L pot of custom Mapito mix! :tu

gallery_10582_5392_46724.jpg

As basic as this was, I hope you guys enjoyed my first OPG tutorial :smoke (So much cut and paste :no lol)

Enjoy!

Rose.

• Like 6

Rose while I appreciate ur dedication, no way in hell Id do all these steps just to grow some weed lol. Coco is plenty enuff work (hardly any lol) Youll never see me own a table mixer for instance lol...But do ur thing! :)

Thanks for sharing, while I don't use mapito, I find it interesting in case I was to ever look at changing. Why mapito over coco or organics, do you find it easier for controlling results?

Bravo Rose, that is some HD style illustrations! I look forward to the grow!

• Like 2

Rose while I appreciate ur dedication, no way in hell Id do all these steps just to grow some weed lol. Coco is plenty enuff work (hardly any lol) Youll never see me own a table mixer for instance lol...But do ur thing! :)

Thanks Indy :)

Coco really is simple 'plug and play' if that's the way you like it ;)

Looks like I should cancel that mixer I got your Christmas then :P

Thanks for sharing, while I don't use mapito, I find it interesting in case I was to ever look at changing. Why mapito over coco or organics, do you find it easier for controlling results?

Ive been growing for quite some time now and I change mediums about every 2 years to keep 'pushing the bar' on current techniques and understanding.

Ive done Soil, Hydroton, Perlite, DWC, UCDWC, NFT, Aerponics, TAG, Bubbleponics.... the list goes on... mmmmmm

The last 2 years I just kinda been 'chumming' along, looking for a new 'spark' in my growing.... it all gets a bit the same after a while... but think all long term growers go through this... *shrugs*

Mapito is a new toy for me to hopefully fire me back up again ;)

• Like 1

Rose,

One day we will see more Pball than coco in pito Im sure (u will also responsible for that hahah)

So u have a medium lasting for ever.

(hint for others)

Pot grower vs crate growers need less Pballs since pots dry faster.

in pots plants will be taller, in crates more stocky.

how to feed mapito would be a nice tread also

Rose,

One day we will see more Pball than coco in pito Im sure (u will also responsible for that hahah)

So u have a medium lasting for ever.

(hint for others)

Pot grower vs crate growers need less Pballs since pots dry faster.

in pots plants will be taller, in crates more stocky.

how to feed mapito would be a nice tread also

... and if it becomes popular, I will still blame you :P

I will add that "It last forever" also comes with the responsibility of ecological footprint... Polystyrene takes a long time to break down if you dump it... so be responsible for the planet ;)

When I change over from mapito, I will put it outside and grow a tree in it (like Fatrasta)

Once you update your Malawi thread, you should do a feeding/reusing thread Hidronesia.... if you have time :)

@ rose nice work just one thing that foam i think is not car seat foam like i told you to use now that foam i see looks like it my sit to wet best thing to do is get some in a pot then flood it with water then give it 5 mins to drain now if you squeeze a hand full to see how much water it holds with car seat foam its not a lot of water so test what you have be for you use it just a heads up buddy ;)

space

Thanks guys :)

@ rose nice work just one thing that foam i think is not car seat foam like i told you to use now that foam i see looks like it my sit to wet best thing to do is get some in a pot then flood it with water then give it 5 mins to drain now if you squeeze a hand full to see how much water it holds with car seat foam its not a lot of water so test what you have be for you use it just a heads up buddy ;)

space

This is the same as car seat foam, I did my homework and bought directly from Dunlop (They make car seat foam in Australia)... this is the off cuts shredded for my convenience ;)

I tested the WHC of the foam and it's actually quite low.

The PE balls are of course very hydrophobic with the foam only holding not really that much at all (if the RW was 100 on scale, Foam is about 10-15)

That's why the mix didn't seem too aggressive in my eyes, I think I'm sitting pretty nicely in the 70/30 Air/water range.

And I think I would have to cut up half a car yard to accumulate the foam I'd need :P

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the show. I was wondering if it was a paper pulp sludge or rock wool.

I had a miserable time....no lets call it an out and out failure trying to work a cycle of spent RW into my garden.

It just would not break down, for a season or 2....or more.

I had bought a huge assed bag of the Grodan cubies, and found it great to work with, but disposal??

I waited for a community clean up day, when you can bring anything in for proper disposal, and donated the left over bag to them.

I'm loving the idea, but man for me, insulation belongs in the walls, and the stuff of nature encloses my root system.

I mean no disrespect to how anyone grows, but I'll pass on this one.

I grew out giant trees in a Krusty bucket system, I lived with it for 2 years, with pics in the gallery, when I was a juice junkie.

I loved growing hydro, but after a few years, I started to add up the water usage, then in winter had no garden to dump spent nutes on, and once I let some down the drain, I just hated myself for it.

Grow em big folks!!

@ All Sim has never used those (fly balls) nor has esko or hd .I do be leave that is all hidro s baby .

Nice thread rose you are a go get it done fella for sure .Rose will you use any air pots ?curious

• Like 2

great, thanks 4 sharing,Rose !!

...the colored foam puts the Cherry on the cake :D

i like your mix and fill- station...great idea :tu

Edited by saxo
  • Like 1

Appreciate, the quality of commercial available mapito has varied over time. America now has very good named as Growpito. I do not really know what happened to European mapito but the qualiy is degraded.

I believe it is has more to do with companies using waste materials and thus unable to accurately make a consistent product. Also when companies buy out other companies the buying company typically is in it for the money and not the quality. I believe this is what occured here but I have not actually looked at it in detail.

As a result of this, lots of mapito has been home made for a long time. Growpito is not really rockwool and I am really not seeing grodan or rockwool in the form at a store being widely used today. I am not sure it is accurate to think mapito/growpito as being rockwool, some brands may have but I think newer mapito/growpito is more of a spun fiber.

I love it Rose. Keep on keeping on. I believe in some ways we are cut from the same cloth!

Karma up, Rose and Hidro

Love the mixer, I wished for one of them babe's,blending the soil mix's would be a pleasure

I just cannot get my head around them brain crushing polyballs , still make me sweat with O.C.D

as im a coco-monkey I look forward to watching how it works hard for you and your grow

grtz carp

• Like 2

looks interesting, too bad Jet has scared me off hydro for life :)

Not sure if anybody has mentioned it yet, after working with rock wool, jump in the shower and rinse the rookwool fibres off with cold water first, if you use warm/hot water first your pores will open up and rockwool fibres will get caught in them and you'll be scratching for days.

Of course I'd never mention this to someone I didn't much like :D

Stay Safe

BalzOut

• Like 4

@ All Sim has never used those (fly balls) nor has esko or hd .I do be leave that is all hidro s baby .

Nice thread rose you are a go get it done fella for sure .Rose will you use any air pots ?curious

Thank you Drip-n-wet :)

Hidronesia is quite fond of the P balls :P and his logic made sense for me ;)

Rock wool holds the moisture/nutrients/wick

Foam eliminates compression/maintains air/water ratio

P balls allow drainage/air exchange to be fine tuned

As for the Rocket Pots (not smart pots), I will do a side by side in a few weeks to test ;)

Appreciate, the quality of commercial available mapito has varied over time. America now has very good named as Growpito. I do not really know what happened to European mapito but the qualiy is degraded.

I believe it is has more to do with companies using waste materials and thus unable to accurately make a consistent product. Also when companies buy out other companies the buying company typically is in it for the money and not the quality. I believe this is what occured here but I have not actually looked at it in detail.

As a result of this, lots of mapito has been home made for a long time. Growpito is not really rockwool and I am really not seeing grodan or rockwool in the form at a store being widely used today. I am not sure it is accurate to think mapito/growpito as being rockwool, some brands may have but I think newer mapito/growpito is more of a spun fiber.

I love it Rose. Keep on keeping on. I believe in some ways we are cut from the same cloth!

Anyone that emanates love and positivity to those around them the way you do Hempy, Id be proud to call a brother from the same 'cloth' :)

As my mother used to say....

"If you come to me bearing flames, I offer you a pail of water, then embrace" :)

After looking into origins of Mapito, Im really proud of the Dutch for finding the recycling avenue for Rock wool to live once again as Mapito.

In definition I have found that Mapito is "Amended Rock wool" whether you use PE Flakes, coco, perlite, foam, p balls etc.

I would love to see something that lacks sustainability like perlite 're fired' to create a hydrophobic surface like P balls...

This takes 2 substrates into a recycling that combines waste and essentially creates a new greater substrate.... almost like 'metamorphosis' :D

• Like 4

The idea of waste materials, (definition of waste material needs to be defined in this use) is great on paper but is not good in making a quality product overall.

Now, by definition of waste material I mean the following. Waste = materials that have been used one time, then treated or not, and made into a media to be resold again. This is has occured in the past with some products of mapito. This is what I typically mean by waste material. In this aspect, the consistency of the product is not consistent and I will do my very best to avoid this type of product due to the questionability of the starting quality.

With that said,

If you define waste materias as "left overs" from a manufacturing/production of another product (such as seat cushions remnants) than this is a good use of waste materials and understanding. (Such as Rose did with the cushions)

While they both sound good on papers, which one would you bet on? I am generically for waste = left over materials but I am not easily for materials being used prior due to inconsistency. This aspect often gets confused when talking about waste materials so I write this as to understand my direction.

I have this in mind but likely is not practical.

I know about the effects of acid rain. This stopped the creeks from being stocked way back in the day. The solution was to drop limestone at key points in the streams.

Seems to me they could make a rock product that would maintain PH and good calcium levels. Though when they do, it will likely have some pharma side effect like making your ass fall off or something. lol, think like drug pill warnings that are so much worse than what you are trying to fix.

• Like 1