•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
buddah_fingah

Volcanic rock

Hello everyone,

I purchased some organic rock dust and was told that the trace minerals take time to break down I to the soil.

Would making a volcanic rock tea with bacteria added help break down the trace minerals to add?

Or does anyone use volcanic rock dust in teas?

Thanks bf

i would mix it into the soil so it has its time to break down...kind of like dolomite

greetz

You can add a pinch or two to a compost tea. It will work same as glacial rock dust. Not really sure if it helps but in theory its great.

This is best for long term soil or if you reuse soil it will be better used I think.

IMO rock dust or any dust form of minerals will take time to actually do anything

i would of added it in initial soil mix when starting the No till

If anything i would break up top few inches of soil and mix it in other then using it for a tea i do not think it would add any benifit

Now if it was volcano ash that would be a different story

• Like 2

I dont think rock dust and the like are all that efficient in teas as a means of distribution to the media as most of it will remain the bottom of your container. I think its used in teas more so for interactions and places for microbes but I genuinely do not know how effective it is. I consider rock dusts a luxury type of thing meaning not really needed but if you know what your doing and know how to best utilize it might play a good role in certain setups with greating efficiency than others.

I feel its best used for long term and in soil that is going to be resused. Think of this way, the soil you amend now with it, wont be be much benefit until the next grow but it will help maintain that grow with micro and macro nutrients at best. In part, If you check your brix and you know what your regular brix levels typically are (generically most people who do nothing for brix will have a brix of 5-6) if there is a difference where your brix lowers and nothing else has changed, your media needs more minerals, this can be used as a gage to determine your future soil amendments pertaining to the brix but also how it visible responds such as needing calcium and magnesium or potassium and the like. All this information together will help you determine what working and what is not.

• Like 1

yeah sorry I wasn't clear then.

I'm growing with coco atm, but next grow I'm using soil and will add volcanic rock, I'm planning on doing a no till from then on.

after each grow will i need to add the volcanic rock as a top layer each time? would getting worms help dig the top layer into the no till soil?

this is what I'm planning

bio canna soil 70% / perlite 30%

1 litre sannies bio char

2 litre remin volcanic rock

0.5 litre worm castings

0.5 litre ecothrive charge

also mixed will be 1.5g of better organix bio-media pro, which is bacteria and fungi

i'll also be using root better (mycorrhizae) on the root ball.

after each no till, i was planning to add compost teas or worm castings and ecothrive charge to get those nutrients back into the soil but how would i top up with the volcanic rock each time? will it need it?

i will be growing in 15 litre pots btw.

also can anyone recommend a good refractometer to check brix readings please?

p.s I'm too poor to buy crap, i want one that i will stick with :)

I am gonna punt on this one due to my inexperience with no-tills.

I recommend talking to Bagwell and all those who are doing no-till right now. Their are a number of threads on it right now so lots of good information.

I am concerned my advice in this aspect is not able to compensate for my inexperience with this style. I mention Bagwell first as he is illustrating his learning curve with the style and thus I thin this will be invaluable to you. I tried to find Bagwell's no-till thread but I am a blind fool.

Sorry I was not much help.

Hempyfan,

Jah Bless!

• Like 1

i know im late to this but i will add to it anyways. rock dust takes a long time to break down . once its added to your soil its not necessary to re amend everytime nor is necessary or advised to add it to your teas

Old thread I know but I would say that if your working with with benifical fungi/bacteria then the rock dust will begin to be broken down a lot quicker than you think.

• Like 2

I wouldn't re add it each time. When you add it the first time around, it will gradually be eaten by the microbes and then pooped out by them into a usable form by the plant. I have read that you begin to notice the effects of it on the second grow and not the first...

Old thread I know but I would say that if your working with with benifical fungi/bacteria then the rock dust will begin to be broken down a lot quicker than you think.

Pretty interesting