•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
youngsta

Whatevah's Clevah, to till or no till

Disclaimer: This is a public thread that just happens to contain a legal medical grow, feel free to post whatever happens to be floating your boat at the moment. Music, mmj, religion, politics, pics of your crop, whatever's clever.

I learned how to start a garden from my grandmother, before the word organic had a cult following. She wouldn't buy fertilizers. She'd vermicompost her vegetable scraps, coffee grounds, egg shells, and the Sunday paper. Every other blue moon she might toss in the soft bones from her chicken stock or some composted manure.

Fast forward to 2008, I was skirting the fence of a living soil with the General Organics nute line and a microbial inoculant called quantum 1, or quantum light, or something like that. I would mix all fan leaves, stems, and roots, into the soil after harvest. Everything dissolved in under 2 weeks, every time, except woody stems and thicker roots.

Today, I no longer have the quantum, so the backbone of my soil is a compost that I started last fall, on a heavy clay soil, with among other things:

Yucca,

Alfalfa,

Eggshells,

Leaves,

Decomposed hardwood, and the castings of roly-poly bugs, though I'd love to get a good bit of bio-char and seaweed mixed in too.

The compost is mixed with peat that's been limed with basalt, seashell flour, and diatomaceous earth. It could use some more aeration, but I'll wait till after I get the bio-char mixed in to decide what and how much.

I'm working with 4 tubs at the moment. 4-6 girls per 30gal, with 4-6 branches each, in a square meter or so. Heavily pinched, pulled, bent-over, and tied-down to fill the canopy.  The mothers have been in stasis for a while, but the new room has just been finished, so the goal is to start moving one tub into flower every other week, ad infinitum.

The main attraction in tonight's journal will be East Coast Sour Diesel x Mr Nice Black Widow F2s. I was gifted a dozen or so F1 seeds with the go ahead to do with the genetics as I pleased, so I open pollinated em as soon as they preflowered. As of now the F2 moms are being cloned, with plans to reverse one of each, and make a batch of feminized seeds.  The plants I'm hoping to stabilize have a fruit punch kool-aid smell, and start to pump out crystals by week 5, by harvest it's crazy.

I also have an order on the way from sannie that will be making an appearance now and then, but we'll keep the genetics on the low for now. Not a fan of counting my chickens before they hatch.

F1 ECSD x BW

gallery_2174_5367_9695.png

gallery_2174_5367_223259.png

F2 ECSD x BW

gallery_2174_5367_350504.png

gallery_2174_5367_427045.png

gallery_2174_5367_427045.png

gallery_2174_5367_89253.png

gallery_2174_5367_80624.png

gallery_2174_5367_767766.png

I'll get some current pictures up this weekend.

• Like 14

Looking good man. I love me some ecsd. When i forst got in to buying seeds from breeders the black widow was one of the first packs i always wanted. It was always outta stock tho. Anyway, that last pics is ridiculous. Some serious frost for so young. How far along is she? About 4 to 5 weeks? I would love to see what she looks like finished.

• Like 1

That last pics is ridiculous. Some serious frost for so young. How far along is she? About 4 to 5 weeks? I would love to see what she looks like finished.

I'd say you about hit the nail on the head, 5 weeks or so. That pic is from the last run from seed, lookin for moms. I believe it was taken in October. My phone broke shortly after that so I don't have many end of flower pics.

No biggie tho. There are 4-6 moms here or there getting pretty for their fifteen minutes of fame.

gallery_2174_5367_767058.png

sweet set up buddy!

I really like the approach you take to gardening your cannabis :)

pretty wild pets you have there as well!!!

They were just temporary house guests. Lol

• Like 1

Nice garden you are working there. Plants are looking very pretty.

Is the snake a resident or guest?

I have thought about breeding garter snakes from around the country to create variations that don't exist in the wild -- like the ball python morphs -- but this one was released before winter so it had time to go hibernate

• Like 2

Most of the info I've seen on making femme seeds is all theory, with no step-by-step of what to expect, so I'mma document the process of reversing an ECSD x BW clone, by spraying a <100ppm gibberellic acid solution once a day, for ~2 weeks. Please treat this stuff with respect, and know the ingredients inside and out before considering it for your crop. The hormone will cause quite a bit of stretching, so you also need to know how the plant in question normally reacts to the environment, in order to plan ahead.

If you get a high purity ga3 powder, you will have to dissolve it in alcohol, methanol preferably, before diluting it with water. I skipped this step by buying 100mg Quick Dissolve Gibberellic Acid. The ga3 is packaged inside multiple moisture barriers and should be stable indefinitely, until you open it. The hormone comes as a powder in a wax baggie (because THAT'S not sketchy) which I mix with 1 liter of water to make the 100ppm solution.

I read through patents and university practices and it seems, on average, half of the solution will have degraded after one week, and some university's labs have been freezing the prepared solution and claim to have no discernible change when they thaw it. So I fill a small LABELED spray bottle with a couple days worth, and store the rest of the solution in 4-5 portions in the freezer. The day before I need it, I put one in a dark spot in the grow room to thaw

The gibberellins trick the plant into thinking there is a sugar deficiency so they use up the stores. I'm not sure how that controls sexual expression, but it explains the increased growth claims and complaints about stretching. In an attempt to control that growth, I topped (and cloned) her half-dozen branches a week ago;

I am choosing to spray at the end of the day cycles, when sugar content is at its highest;

And I'm starting on the first day of flower, in the hopes of less energy wasted producing pistils;

Lastly, you don't want to do this with an unhappy plant. The ga3 inhibits root growth so the extra shoot growth can throw things out of balance. The happier your plants, the better quality pollen it produces, the better quality children. That's why Sannie, and E$kob@r and Indican, etc. produce the best seeds, because they're breeding with high quality plants, not just high quality genetics. I'll get out to the grow spot later today and get some pics for ya.

(P.S. Google "plant hormone theory" and there's a lot of awesome information)

gallery_2174_5367_514152.png

gallery_2174_5367_694376.png

Day 2 flower

• Like 4

The cannabis plant is such a beautiful plant when she's happy!

Youngsta I apologize for not stopping by sooner. Your thread is great info and really nice pics. Thanks for sharing with us.

What is BW strain? Sorry I'm not to hip with all the acronyms haha

Good to have ya stankydank, BW is Mr nice black widow. I seriously need a working name for this strain if you guys have any suggestions, east coast sour deisel x black widow is a mouthful. My boy calls it the black deisel, but I'd have to imagine that name is already taken.

Yuckfaced Milf---- wow, please don't name it that. Having had both of those strains in my bowl on occasion... Both of those strains have a great strong party style high of a different type. I bet there's some really nasty smelling phenos in there. The dandylion floral hash from the BW with the bitter oily rancid fruit of the ECSD. Bet there's also some awesome crystal covered frost monsters in there too. Pretty classic kinda cross. cool. I have some of Mr. Nice's "Shit" that I've gotta grow more of. It's like a frostier, more potent, larger yielding version of Skunk #1. Another commendable breeder.

The ECSD's of yours look just like a Cali Bay Area cut of Sour Diesel I have. Mine is just a bit fussy. Likes a bit of organic N week 7 and org. cal/mag just after week 8 to get those heavy tops on her lanky stems. Mine takes til a couple days before 10 weeks to get cloudy trichs. Better half clear though if I catch it. Otherwise night night. Beautiful plants (spoken through a haze of HerijuanaJackberry smoke. thanx fer sharonsgf

-P

• Like 1

I bet there's some really nasty smelling phenos in there. The dandylion floral hash from the BW with the bitter oily rancid fruit of the ECSD. Bet there's also some awesome crystal covered frost monsters in there too.

-P

Yo I've never smoked the black widow, but that description explains a lot! There are a couple garlic sorta girls that that I'd love to baste a steak with. The girl I'm reversing is real heavy on the sour fruit flavor, it almost doesn't even smell like bud. There was one that smelled EXACTLY like fruit punch kool-aid powder, but she didn't make the cut.

• Like 1

Nothing fancy, just chugging along. I chose the working name Sour Widow for now, and took another dozen clones off her.

gallery_2174_5367_90839.png

--

gallery_2174_5367_502305.png

I've got about a dozen, dozen of these little bags of soil packed away, like a homemade rapid rooter. It saves a little time when I'm cloning, but mostly it just saves me from making a mess.

In other news, I'm rocking a Sinister Seeds t-shirt, with some little ladies reppin the breeders that make this site shine.

A pack of sannies indica mix and a mixpack of "100% cotton" seeds, from some damn fine people, are gunna have this place poppin real soon. I might mess around and chuck some sour widow pollen into the fan when the time comes. :icecream:

Two seedlings already showing pinks,

gallery_2174_5367_235971.png

gallery_2174_5367_896730.png

• Like 2

I'd be careful of how much pollen into throw into the fan. :)

It's terrible to see a beautiful lady with all her leaves gone, but I get a guilty pleasure. Quantum issues- singularity opening- She looked wow to indica'd 2 continuee

• Like 1

are you saying that low sugar feed will encourage stretch? Btw if you are sharing those fem ecsd x black widow seeds I could run a testrun or something :dribble:

• Like 1

youngsta, i'm curious why you decided to start with the ga3 from day 1 flower. i would have thought it would be best to let a plant get most of the way through stretch, 3 or 4 weeks, before inducing the sex change. but maybe i'm thinking of when it's best to apple colloidal silver.

i doubt i'll ever make fem seeds myself, but i think the different processes and methods to do so are very intriguing.

• Like 1

@agreenpassion, I think we're on the same page. :lol:

@nightmara, not quite. In nature the gibberellic acid tells a plant its leaves are shaded, and not making enough sugar to support proper growth. So the branches bolt upwards in hopes of finding direct sunlight. Those sugars need to come from somewhere though, and the root ball will get smaller during treatment. I sprayed a mom whose roots filled a 5 gallon bucket, for 5 days. One week later I took the dozen clones, and without trimming any roots, she now comfortably fits in a 3gal pot.

No seeds yet though, we ran through them last run and now it's just a handful of mothers here or there. I'll try to get around and snap a couple pics of the various moms this weekend.

@Dreamofgreen I tried it exactly because I thought the same thing as you, and it turns out you are absolutely right, it should be done a few weeks into flower. Lol. The spraying delayed her flowering, and her new growth has still not put out any preflowers, 2 weeks into 12/12.

I just have an incessant need to learn new things, and I couldn't help but test the difference, because you get a different kind of knowledge hands on than reading scholarly articles, ya know.

• Like 3

yep, i get that. i often say experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

thanks for sharing the learning experience, i really wasn't sure if i was correct about that. i read a bunch on it's use several years ago but my mental recall isn't the best.

sorry if it fouls your run up. did you do the whole plant, or could you remove the part treated and start treating a different branch to get to reverse?

That's a good saying.

I planned ahead and have 3 clones from before I started spraying, I'm gunna reverse the second batch of clones because the mom was starting to get unwieldy.

This has me thinking it could be used to give an extended veg in a situation without separate veg and flower rooms. At the flip of the switch, if you took a girl out of the flower room once a week and sprayed with the right concentration -- then let her dry overnight to avoid cross contamination, before putting her back in the flower room...

• Like 1

I'm looking into getting a new light, so I did a bit of research.

Note: If you find info that contradicts any of my numbers, I'd honestly appreciate if you throw up the link -- the T5s are especially difficult to find rated outside of lumen potential, and I would expect their PPF to vary wildly based on the bulbs.  The CMH numbers may vary a bit too now that there are so many. Thank Gavita for being so transparent, their honesty is a nice break from standard practice.

-------------------------

uMol per Watt:

T5HO@1.24

Illumitex@1.6-1.8

Lumigrow@?

CMH/LEC@1.9

Gavita DE@2.1

-------------------------

T5HO 6-bulb fixture $100ea

Case of 24 bulbs ~$75

$500=1300w @ ~1600 umol max

< 4'x6' coverage

Illumitex PowerHarvest W10 LED

$1000 + tax, shipping

560w @ 1000 umol

Not 100% sure how much space one is supposed to cover, but LEDs get sketchy IMO when manufacturers say it "Outperforms 1000W HID fixtures in 4×4 and 5×5 plant grow beds, giving growers more than 50% energy savings."

Why in the world would you be running 1kw in a 4x4, and what POS HID were they comparing it to? Mercury vapour?

Lumigrow Pro 650 LED

$1500 shipped

615w actual draw

Everything I've seen says it can stand head-to-head with the best 600w HPS money can buy, and might even come out on top, but they get sketchy with the claim that "LumiGrow Pro series lights last 10 times longer than HID lights without degradation." In practice most people don't get rated lifetimes out of their lights, whether HID or LED. If it's true, awesome, but I'm a pessimist.

For the sake of time, I'm gunna skip CMH. The spectrum and efficiency is awesome, and they can be run vertically, but it can get a bit pricey as a stand-alone fixture due to the low wattages. If you can get each kit for under $150, or if you're running a small setup, it might be a good option. The ballasts do last damn near forever.

Gavita DE1000 E-line

400v bulb included

$500 shipped = <1150w @ 2400 umol max

≥ 4'x6' coverage

When Gavita was newer, it was like a mirage -- you could see it online, but good luck getting one in hand. Now that a few years have passed and US distributors are showing the respect it deserves, she's much more accessible. :lol:

I like to stress the effectiveness of high-bay T5HOs, like you see hanging in supermarkets. With dirt cheap bulbs and decent efficiency, they should be the go-to lights for any grower on a budget, screw LED. In a single patient medical grow, a $200 investment in T5HOs can cover a fixture and a few years worth of bulb changes...

But anyway, I already have T5, and LED just aren't cheap enough to compete...

Gavita, it is!

You'll notice a couple minor deficiencies here and there, from not allowing the grow medium time to equilibrate. Everyone has since been given some foliar tea to make up for it.

gallery_2174_5367_562639.png

----------

gallery_2174_5367_999283.png

----------

gallery_2174_5367_91013.png

----------

gallery_2174_5367_929553.png

----------

gallery_2174_5367_742943.png

----------

gallery_2174_5367_634074.png

----------