•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

ChakraCohen

Art Created Under the Influence of Weed

I was pretty fascinated to learn recently that the French artist Moebius who made science fiction art was in fact open about his use of marijuana when creating art:

"It was part of the culture at the time; I’ve used cannabis as a tool, in small doses. I was smoking natural weed neither treated, nor grown. An inhalation, even a light one connected me to a different perception of the world, of myself and my emotional baggage, words references. My relation to cannabis is singular: I was initiated in Mexico in 1956 by artists who gave me a road map: only use weed to transcend and never put your personal integrity in danger. I’ve never found myself in a situation of addiction. I dissociate myself from the profane way drug use permeated our western societies. To see friends light up a joint before breakfast was my wake-up call. I told myself: 'Damn, we’re out of the sacred!' Cannabis is a cruel master, powerful and dangerous, you have to approach it very carefully and a lot of mistrust.

I actually ran into an artist at Blick while buying some paints and the subject of weed came up (I live in California so it's not that big of a stretch to imagine he might partake or at least not be against it). He was a fan of Moebius and told me to look the quote up. He told me that he uses weed to help him reduce his anxiety enough to feel more liberty when drawing. His site mostly shows sort of fantasy and occult art styles, which is cool though I prefer sci fi. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend other artists who smoke weed while creating? Or if there are any artists on this forum who do and how they think it helps them artistically?

• Like 2

Art is said to be created from mind altering experiences. I think they mostly point to shrooms and the like. We have stuck with that since then and most of everything from art to most all that we are today was said to be sparked by by mind altering substances! They say it gave us the perception and concepts to view existance outside of the normal animal kingdom. It is the point for good or bad that we took the first steps to became we.

Most art was created on all kind of substances be it shrooms or the like, cannabis, speed, coffee, alcohol to green fairies it has all played a role and will continue.

Is what would be interesting if it would be known how much of other things were created by people on something they would not like others to know. The answer is most I believe.

I do not really know of an artist off hand that does not imbibe. Check out Andy Warhol and those from that circle. Works by Allen Midgette are pretty freaking cool too, Keith Harring is neat too. I do enjoy when I go to Amsterdam looking at some of the art in the market square. I was very close last time to buying a big piece but was concerned about it shipping it as I had a piece get screwed before.

Pretty much any Hippi spot will have some cool art. Art schools will often have some pretty neat shops around the area. Festivals and such are potential spots as well.

• Like 2

'i believe god left certain drugs growing naturally on our planet to speed up and help facilitate our evolution.' - bill hicks

‘today young man on acid realized all mater is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There’s no such thing as death life is only a dream and we’re the imagination of ourselves.

Here’s tom with the weather…’

gallery_2751_1567_38570.png

• Like 3

All of a sudden I want some mushrooms. Damn I miss Maastricht!

• Like 1

I made this while absolutely tripping balls on shrooms...

https://www.opengrow.com/gallery/image/161519-weedcult4/

cast bronze - lost wax method

Of course, anyone who knows me will tell you there was pleeeeeeenty of weed involved as well.

Making art while stoned is the best way to optimize your creativity.!

• Like 5

Mad, the link does not work for me, I might be special though.

Cool ass skills!

• Like 3

Thanks, Hempy. I think you may be able to see the link now, if not shoot me a pm.

Here's the next one:

gallery_9799_4293_128839.jpg

My buddy had it in his garden last halloween and I kinda liked it so I grabbed it and fixed it up so I could take a mold.

Pour some hot wax in there...

gallery_9799_4293_118270.jpg

gallery_9799_4293_250670.jpg

Let it cool down, demold and you get this:

gallery_9799_4293_184686.jpg

gallery_9799_4293_428001.jpg

keep it green!

gallery_9799_4293_60097.jpg

;)

• Like 6

Is there a preference on a certain drug when creating for any of the artists on here? I don't really travel far from weed and mushrooms. When I do mushrooms, sometimes I'll end up strumming a guitar happily but won't actually get anything done. I could see myself working much better with weed.

narly. if you stuck a wick in it would it work as a candle?

What do you think???

gallery_9799_5523_32299.jpg

• Like 4

love it. the periwinkle is an interesting choice of collar. i don't know how difficult it would be to do, but it would be slick if there was an inner core of red wax. so after burning for a few it melts into the red and has red wax running down the sides.

• Like 1

Sick pieces Mad,

The first copper one really caught my eye,

Mary Jay every day opens the creative mind.....

Take care brother

Poldergrower

• Like 1

I should have a creative mind PG..i smoke every evening..lol

great work Mad. i love art.

• Like 2

What do you think???

gallery_9799_5523_32299.jpg

Last words he heard: "You wont be gettin in my stash anymore."

• Like 3

Still making art...

gallery_9799_6184_2207823.jpg

gallery_9799_6184_95811.jpg

gallery_9799_6184_119528.jpg

gallery_9799_6184_1319029.jpg

gallery_9799_6184_281079.jpg

Under the influence of weed!

MAD LOVE

• Like 5

I agree with Stanky. That one is wicked looking.

I have been wanting to do some stuff with aluminum. Primarily ant hills. I usually have a few pounds of beer cans around, and some pretty large ant hills. I just haven't gotten around to making a forge. I get to kill the ants and and make some cool art. I've seen ant hill art go for some pretty high dollars. Just little 8-10 inch ones with a simple wood base go for a couple of hundred bucks. Saw one at a county fair sell for $2200 that was about 2' tall.

@ Madmaster, very cool work bro! How hard would it be to do a big bud. Do you think you could get it to hold its shape well while compacting it into sand?

I am too busy to do this now, and because I could not run my kiln and do my molds due to the grow, I donated them all to Mad, they are very expensive and rare molds. Plus a Kiln :)

I made this :) I even made her hair. I would be up all night doing this lol Loved it. :)

gallery_14187_5117_6687.jpg

• Like 3

Everyone was gone for a week, getting high and painting my bathroom walls seemed like the thing to do lol You can tell by the Robin I was a bit too high ha ha

gallery_14187_5117_146728.jpg

gallery_14187_5117_228438.jpg

gallery_14187_5117_702995.jpg

• Like 2

Those little plants look very good almost professional :)

Last time I saw someone painting a wall, he had those Indian feathers on the top of his head and he painted a huge tree on the wall with those colours u just can see in black light...looked also kind of professional :D

• Like 1