•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

elchupacabra

El Chupa's Indoor Grow Journal

Hey folks,

Got tired of making new topics for each grow. I don't like the way there's no continuity, so from now on, for all indoor meanderings, this is going to be where it's at.

For those of you who don't know, I live in the tropics of India. Climate is around 24-27°C at it's coldest in late december/early jan and 35-40°C at it's hottest (end of april/mid may). Relative humidity is always on the high end, from 60% upwards - average of maybe 75%. Given these conditions, I use an Air Conditioner, and try to keep the room at a comfortable temperature (maybe 25-26) and humidity of about 50%.

I go with hydro - so far, I haven't ventured beyond a DWC with a jacuzzi of air bubbles in the buckets.

This grow, I will be running a horizontal setup (12 bucket DWC, 3 rows of 4). It measures about 1m x 1.6m, and is lit by 2 x 400w HPS in the local reflectors, running on philips magnetic ballasts. 1 will be having a 400w hortilux bulb that is one grow old, and 1 will be a new 400w Osram MH. This will be the first time I am trying an MH and HPS overlapping, side by side. Should be interesting.

Under this setup, I will be sowing a total of 24 seeds of Bluezilla. Nothing special to see here. The pipe running across the picture is not a part of this setup.

gallery_7978_5482_3500106.jpg

(Bluezilla is a cross of New Blue Diesel and Shackzilla. It has shown me 3 intriguing phenotypes so far out of the 3 beans I've popped - enough to convince me to pop a lot more. 2 of the 3 were vigorous producers, and the terpene profile across all of them was off the charts. I wish I hadn't made the mistake of taking cuttings late in flowering, or I'd have a lovely pair of moms now. Anyways, flowering seems to vary between 8 and 13 weeks so far.

some pics:

BZ#1

gallery_7978_5482_90335.jpg

BZ#2

gallery_7978_5482_205252.jpg

Next to the horizontal setup is where the real fun part is going to be for this grow.

I am constructing a vertical setup, identical to Heath Robinson's flooded tube setup. It works much like a colosseum - the plants are all surrounding and watching the light in the middle. Unlike Heath, I do not have 96 clones to work with. Instead, I will be working with about 60 clones of a really nice cut of Kolossus.

Here is Heath's 600w flooded tube surrounded with 4 rows of 96 clones of positronics Viking:

vg_2.jpg

As for Kolossus:

(I grew about 12 females of Kolossus last grow and kept about 7 of them into flower. All of the phenos had a very similar set of terpenes - raw mango, and as the cure goes along, the rawness gives way to an almost 'rotten mango' kind of smell, very beautiful.

I kept cuttings of 2 of them - k#1 and k#8. k1 was the biggest producer of the lot, and gave me an oz with almost no veg. lovely taste and smell, nice and dense but not "god bud dense". finished in about 9-10 weeks of flo. k8 finished the fastest of the lot and was a reasonable yielder herself - 18 grams, and the reason I kept her was because she finished in an astounding 62 days, which I did not expect for Kolossus)

K1:

this photo really does NOT do justice to this cut

gallery_7978_5482_126964.jpg

K8:

gallery_7978_5482_690174.jpg

Here are the stages of construction for this vertical grow:

First the base (which was actually fitted the wrong way, but fixed it before the next picture):

gallery_7978_5482_1311359.jpg

Then the vertical supports:

gallery_7978_5482_1252149.jpg

Cross bars:

gallery_7978_5482_605465.jpg

Roof with first tier roughly in place:

gallery_7978_5482_521791.jpg

The cross bars were removed because I did not think about how i was going to mount the pipes when the cross bar comes right at the same level...

Instead of conventional clamps, I opted for these brackets:

gallery_7978_5482_1258318.jpg

They will allow me to set the height more easily when I have to level the entire thing, rather than having to redrill and reattach the clamps to the frame.

That's where I'm at right now, I hope to have everything functional and running within the next week. Will keep everyone posted, this one is going to be a good one!

Best vibes

El Chupa

• Like 12

Guest Provence

Hi Elchupa

Your homemade set-up is interesting.

Never seen a grow tent like this before

Well done!

How many females do you expect for your bucket crop ?

best vibe

Prov

:wave:

that looks like a fun build. with 60 plants... Are you shooting for 60 oz.? Or are you gonna try to hit the astonishing 3.8+ GPW on this like h.r.? The K1 looks like it has some impressive nugs IMHO. thanks for sharing.

-P

• Like 1

Hi Elchupa

Your homemade set-up is interesting.

Never seen a grow tent like this before

Well done!

How many females do you expect for your bucket crop ?

best vibe

Prov

:wave:

Thanks Prov

I am designing this to accommodate 24 plants per tier - so that's 3 plants for each 'segment' of the octagon. each segment is 2 feet.

This run, I will not be crossing 60 plants though as the number of clones I have is limited.

looks good so far,Chupa...nice handycraft :specool cant wait to see your cabin when ready

thanks saxo

Should be done soon and up and running by next week. My mylar is coming in on tuesday, we'll have to see how much 50sqm of mylar covers ;)

Looking impressive, El Chupa.

Can we get a mod to merge the duplicate posting?

Thanks ledfoot.

Did I miss something, is there a duplicate posting somewhere??

that looks like a fun build. with 60 plants... Are you shooting for 60 oz.? Or are you gonna try to hit the astonishing 3.8+ GPW on this like h.r.? The K1 looks like it has some impressive nugs IMHO. thanks for sharing.

-P

Thanks agreenpassion

Well, I can guarantee you that I, for one, do not really have 'fun' building, but the potential result is a strong motivating factor.

I like setting targets I can meet, and I believe heath got to 2.18 gpw (could be wrong but i know it's above 2 and below 3) with 96 plants. I think it's a lot easier to meet that goal with more plants. For now, I am shooting at 30 oz off of 60 plants with this set up. If I achieve that, then for the next round I will shoot for 12g per plant with 90 plants. I'm still far less economical than heath because I've got an air con running as well...My aim is to eventually create a record of my grows' power consumptions in terms of g/wh rather than g/w. That is a far better and more accurate marker of the electrical efficiency of a specific grow.

The K1 does have some really meaty nugs, I'll get a better picture up soon.

• Like 3

I composed a posting for the "About This Website" regarding the "Report" button that is no longer here. Then I looked at something on this site and lost my writing and didn't feel like doing it again.

Really no big deal but: https://www.opengrow.com/topic/51037-el-chupas-indoor-grow-journal/page__fromsearch__1

I composed a posting for the "About This Website" regarding the "Report" button that is no longer here. Then I looked at something on this site and lost my writing and didn't feel like doing it again.

Really no big deal but: https://www.opengrow...__fromsearch__1

wow i have no idea how that happened....yessir would love to use some help from the mods here in merging these two!

Guest Provence

Elchupa

I was talking about your ongoing crop with the buckets

Id say 1 plant per bucket would be perfect

peace

Elchupa

I was talking about your ongoing crop with the buckets

Id say 1 plant per bucket would be perfect

peace

sorry, misread that as bumper crop. we see what we want to see, I guess ;)

as for the bucket one, it's not ongoing exactly, it's just ready and waiting. I was planning on 2 per bucket actually, so that I can test out more seeds of Bluezilla. each in 2"/3" pots depending on what's available. The horizontal bucket grow is not so much for yield as it is to find a good, legit, keeper pheno of bluezilla.

Just finished the construction of the octagon yesterday evening...

Here's a friend helping me with some of the stuff

gallery_7978_5482_3302309.jpg

And here is the structurally completed octagon. It could really use one more tier next time around.

gallery_7978_5482_380988.jpg

more soon.

best vibes

El Chupa

• Like 5

I have no experience with this type of grow but I have admired in the past via others grow logs. My thoughts of concern of this type of setup was environmental temperature control and temperature of water of getting too warm.

Thanks for showing and look forward to admiring this type of grow style once again. I believe this style can yield very high but was and likely still is a bit out of my comfort zone so I watch with interest.

• Like 1

....do you provide a door to check inside when your octagon is running ?

I am actually going to be using the komodo dragon entry method. It involves putting your body to ground level and walking like a lizard under the slanted part you can see there until you are clear of the octagon and into the grow zone. I have been practicing and it's working out surprisingly well. ;)

Jokes aside, this is exactly what I will be doing, and yes, it's working without me bumping into the pipes at all. the lowest pipe is a clear 2 feet off the ground. at my age if i were unable to successfully waddle under I'd be a fairly feeble specimen.

Good luck with that setup. I remember Heath doing crazy things with those.

Thanks gregster. The inspiration is one and the same. Once I get this tuned in and put another tier, I hope to be doing Heathworthy harvesting.

I have no experience with this type of grow but I have admired in the past via others grow logs. My thoughts of concern of this type of setup was environmental temperature control and temperature of water of getting too warm.

Thanks for showing and look forward to admiring this type of grow style once again. I believe this style can yield very high but was and likely still is a bit out of my comfort zone so I watch with interest.

My worry is that, as long as I reside in the tropics, while I can improve and fix other things, the temperature of the water will be the limiting factor. I try to compensate by over-oxygenating the water with plenty of air.

Trust me Hempyfan, this is far outside my comfort zone as well. But sowing my first seed was just as far outside my comfort zone and I think I grow as an individual by stepping outside my comfort zone. That being said, I would not have the balls to do this in another country.

Thanks for the good vibes folks

El Chupa

• Like 4

Now all that's left to be done is levelling the setup (boring, mundane, necessary work) and sealing the spots in the pipes where the washers didn't fit (about half the pipes - indian quality control at it's finest) with silicone caulk. Then i'll wait 24 hours and run the first water test.

• Like 1

This setup is awesome, can't wait to see what you do with it.

Thanks for stopping by youngsta. hope to do it justice

Folks, I have one problem; I did not think about installing some way to effectively drain the setup. Correct me if you have any ideas, but I think the only way is to drill a tap into the pvc just before the dam that regulates the water level on each level right? heath-robinson-albums-heath-picture353-top-7.jpg

as labelled in the diagram, I too have a 'collar' to maintain the water level on each tier. however, mine is not capable of rotating to allow the water to drain out. any suggestions? I think the only option is to drill a hole in the tubing just before the dam and install a tap to drain each tier. any other suggestions? would be really helpful

For no additional plumbing, maybe use a wet-and-dry shop vacuum with the hose stuck into an empty plant opening?

I've heard of the Heath Robinson method for years but never studied it.

• Like 1

For no additional plumbing, maybe use a wet-and-dry shop vacuum with the hose stuck into an empty plant opening?

I've heard of the Heath Robinson method for years but never studied it.

Thought long and hard about that; while it requires no plumbing, it requires funding. in the fight between plumbing and funding, plumbing wins for now ;)

Had some leaks and leveling issues that I had to fix. underestimated the importance of fixing the levels before sealing. i am wiser now.

will wait for it to dry out by morning and seal it before work. early morning ahead.

• Like 1

I am actually going to be using the komodo dragon entry method. It involves putting your body to ground level and walking like a lizard under the slanted part you can see there until you are clear of the octagon and into the grow zone. I have been practicing and it's working out surprisingly well. ;)

Jokes aside, this is exactly what I will be doing, and yes, it's working without me bumping into the pipes at all. the lowest pipe is a clear 2 feet off the ground. at my age if i were unable to successfully waddle under I'd be a fairly feeble specimen.

Thanks gregster. The inspiration is one and the same. Once I get this tuned in and put another tier, I hope to be doing Heathworthy harvesting.

My worry is that, as long as I reside in the tropics, while I can improve and fix other things, the temperature of the water will be the limiting factor. I try to compensate by over-oxygenating the water with plenty of air.

Trust me Hempyfan, this is far outside my comfort zone as well. But sowing my first seed was just as far outside my comfort zone and I think I grow as an individual by stepping outside my comfort zone. That being said, I would not have the balls to do this in another country.

Thanks for the good vibes folks

El Chupa

lol komoto dragon method haha love it man pretty impressive build Question do you have some sort of rubber flooring incase of blow out Water damage

great thread subbed i like stuff like this

• Like 1

It's taken a lot longer than expected. I caved, bit the bullet, and bought a newer, more powerful a/c of the most reliable brand, because last time my a/c failed at the end of the grow, and it is just too inefficient, even though it has a '5star' rating. How do I know it's reliable? Well, it is the brand that's used overwhelmingly in UAE, where it gets bloody hot and the a/c is made to run 24/7 for months. General is the brand name, got a 1.5 ton inverter a/c, and it uses less power than my last 1 ton 'non-inverter' a/c. cools the room from 30+ to 25 in minutes.

Now here's my only last concern that I have. If I want to aerate the water as much as possible, does it make more sense to stick a couple airstones in the reservoir or in the pvc tubes of the octagon? been thinking about this for a while and it's bugging me.

Advice would be much appreciated.

So this is where we are at. Clones are rooting. I had to take new clones again because by the time the octagon was done and the a/c had been installed, they were too big to be separated and placed in the octagon, and the roots were too tangled.

I built two cloners/hydro crates for initially cloning these clones and for growing more efficiently under my 800w of HPS. They look just like this:

231.jpg

They are (in cm) 60 x 40 x 20 and, due to a small error, one has 28 sites and one has 32. Not an issue really.

So they will be placed alongside each other under the 2 x 400w HPS, next to another smaller crate, filled with soil, in which i will be trying to go organic again for my personal use as well. :)

If anyone has any answers to my query, do let me know. thanks

best vibes ever

El Chupa

lol komoto dragon method haha love it man pretty impressive build Question do you have some sort of rubber flooring incase of blow out Water damage

great thread subbed i like stuff like this

hey mate, thanks for stopping by.

no rubber flooring of any sort actually. carpet is a rare find in India though - we just have terrazzino/mosaic flooring which is fairly resilient to water damage in my experience.

I would leave the airstones in main tank. This will ensure max water coverage. the water running and flowing will help add air too, expecially if you have the water drop into tank like a water fall effect or a water fountain. To me, this is better than airstones but works well together too.

You want a mixing and air combination. Many air stone setups are not strong enough to have high efficiency in mixing the air and water together. Stronger air flow the better (to a point) with air pumps.

• Like 2

the draining issue in post #19, just drill a small hole at bottom of the divider collar. as long as it's small enough, the water will get pumped in faster than what will drain through the hole. and when pump stops water will drain out slowly.

• Like 1