•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

JetDro

Flavor/Smell/Taste Hydro VS Organic Soil....NO CONTEST!

So, been growing 'dro all my life, never did the soil gig. Heard 10K times "Organics taste much better".......On and on and on.....

Had too many issues last Hydro runs............decided to give "organics" a try this time round. From seed pop through flower finish, full on organics, NO NUTES, nothing but NON Ph'd water . Harvested my first batch 12 days ago. 10 day hang dry(I like a long slow dry) then trimmed last night and into jars. 4 strains I have grown before in 'dro, so I KNOW THESE STRAINS well. I sampled some this morning, with only the 1 day in a jar cure..lol............ALREADY it is CLEAR!!!!

3 of the 4 I sampled were honestly some of the best tasting herb I have ever smoked! WAY WAY WAY better than the versions in the 'dro.

In fact, these 3, with only 1 day in the jar, TASTE BETTER than my hydro runs with a 4 month cure!!

Ash is clean and white colored, taste is SMOOTH, flavors much more distinguishable, and it looks n FEELS better too! With a few weeks of cure time, this run I'm in now is gonna produce the best tasting Bud I ever have grown. It is NO CONTEST, I am a true believer now, did it, watched it, tasted it. The soil produces better plants, you all have been correct.....you know the 10K times you told me that!!! lol.

Had I not stumbled into this place, and been gentled nudged towards the soil, I would still be in the dark. I look forward to learning more about

the plants now, and less time jacking with erroneous things like PH, PPM, deficiencies and issues. I ACTUALLY got to WATCH the Ladies this run, and LISTEN a bit to them, see what they like. Learned a lot on this grow so far, and 1/2 is still up n running, so Im gonna learn a bit more it appears.

Thanks fellow grow lovers

Peace,

Jet

• Like 11

hehehe another convert lol j/k. That is why I love the ocotopots, you can make your own version of a wicking system, uses soil and hydro. Taste and smell of soil with growth of Hydro.

But what you did here is really cool! No Ferts? Nice Did you do OK on yield?

Jet

As everybody here knows how we like the organic part of growing greatly and saw you rise my friend!

Plants all look strong and healthy and indeed that gives a man time to really enjoy and connect with his plants.

I am also a big fan of guano as Soma once told me, there will be no better tasting herb on the planet, now that its my work it is time to spread the word. The combination between organic cultivated cannabis with guano and the medical value of it is unheard of.

The plants get all the time they need to build that specific profile and take exacly what they want how they want it.

Guano contains 15% Phospor and 10% Calcium in raw form, exceptionel good for roots en cell walls.

Pg

• Like 2

Yield was below what I would have had with my buckets, but completely acceptable. The 1st batch to come down were all turned real small,

so the real yield test will come in Cab 2, which is at 48 days today........going 63 days. Both of the Sugar Punch, which were cuts, and the Blue Dream,

were turned at like 6 inches tall, right out of the rooter. They still did amazingly well. Taller was about 26 inches high, shorter one 22, but both made nice buds,

and dry weight should be 1.75- 2 ounces for each one. SP goes BIG! The BD is NOT a big yielder, at least this one was not, but the Bud is Stellar, so dont care.

From just looking I would say Cab 2, with 12 Ladies under one 400 watt HPS on my light mover, will yield about 1.5 ounces each on average, some more, some less.

So that is 18 ounces from 400 watts. Ill take that without doing the math. That guess will be real close.

Nothing but water. Not one feeding. Saw no reason to. No bad leafs, no funky stuff going on, they seemed content. They are not as large as I am use to however. I do see where they could be however, and my next run will be a bit different. Shorter Wider buckets, same soil, Gavita 600/750 to really get some depth to the light coverage,

and a much longer veg, with some training thrown in before the flip. That will make up the difference, and then some I think. Gonna try a run with only 4 Plants, in larger pots, with some space to go wider.

• Like 4

Yes there is..........cant explain it well, but it just smells like many different smells now instead of just one primary smell. Much better under tones,

and subtlety to it. So far, it also appears more potent. But could be difference in plants, not running clones, but from seed this run.

• Like 2

I am on the sideline a bit on this one. I want to see same clones in soil and hydro with similar brix levels to do the pepsi challenge. I have not yet been able to see this.

That is not bad at all. When I first flower out a new breed I just let her do her thing, watch her to see how she might need manicured. I get about 2 O's at times, I am happy with that because the idea was just to see what she needs and likes. I think that is not bad at all pulling 1.5 off each, especially not much veg time.

I am on the sideline a bit on this one. I want to see same clones in soil and hydro with similar brix levels to do the pepsi challenge. I have not yet been able to see this.

I was actually able to do that with some friends. We took the same strain and grew her out. Purple paralzyer, who has a great smell and taste. The hydro grow we all agreed had much less taste and smell, much less.

You are correct, none of these were "clones" of others I have run. So a Pepsi challenge it was not. But I have grown enough SP to know the difference,

and there is a difference here. I have run the same Pheno as SP1 I have now, in dro, several times, NONE were as good as this SP1 is. Maybe a superior plant,

who knows. But Im sticking with the soil from now on, I have zero complaints

That is not bad at all. When I first flower out a new breed I just let her do her thing, watch her to see how she might need manicured. I get about 2 O's at times, I am happy with that because the idea was just to see what she needs and likes. I think that is not bad at all pulling 1.5 off each, especially not much veg time.

I was actually able to do that with some friends. We took the same strain and grew her out. Purple paralzyer, who has a great smell and taste. The hydro grow we all agreed had much less taste and smell, much less.

Yeah, its fine. I like 2 plus ounces, but I put them close, its only a 400 watt bulb, and I have not grown any of these before in that Cab. Turned at 12 inches tall

from seed, it is what it is. Difference is they are covered in goo, and will be very good examples of their breeds. Next run, 1/3 the number of plants, much bigger light,

lower, wider buckets, and a few weeks veg/train time . This run here has given me enough stash already to not have to worry till next year about smoke, and its only 1/2 down already, actually less, so I can now just grow for fun and stuff I really want to try..............

• Like 2

I've done side by side brix comparisons on salt fertilizer and on organic soil. Obviously different then a hydro soil side by side, but I found the mineral salts to have a consistently lower reading via refractometer. I used several different market vegetables over about two acres.

Now I understand there are too many variables in a large outdoor environment plus the individual traits of each plant (not being clones) but there was some/enough consistency over the growing season. Visually this was not apparent in appearance or yield but i thought the flavor of the organic was better (very possibly subjective).

• Like 1

Goo is Good lol I doubt if I could pull that off with 400 good job

Im done with the 400's. Sold all but the last 4 running right now. They work fine, but just will not produce BIG Bud unless I reduce the foot print.

When these last ones finish, Im selling these 400's too. I have done Large bud with them, when 2 are mounted in a single Cab, done with that too.

The 600/750 at 750 watts will allow me to flood 4 - 6 plants in light, and give me better depth penetration. I think Im gonna try your contraptions too GA!!

Get to use MY soil mix right? Just when roots hit water no more top watering????

• Like 1

i think you should still top water a wick feed plant. just not as much or as often. it'll help keep the good microbial life happy.

What do you think of The Artists setup????

But did ya lab test it? LMAO!!!

Yup

33 percent

Lol

The king tut im running has been tested at 33 percent.....lol....lol...yeah, we shall see on that one. So stupid the claims of some people. I have wanted it for 10 years, finally running it, looks good but nothing extra special. Will probably be schwagg.....lol....

• Like 2

But...but....THEY say cannabis can't tell the difference between a chemical or organic molecule!

That's why I was so appalled at Colorado, not one dispensary I checked out had, or even knew, what organic growing was. Science is science, but Grandma's tomatoes always tasted better than store bought.

Here's the best of both worlds, speed of hydro(almost), but organic soilless mix grown. Nothing but water.

https://www.opengrow...__fromsearch__1

Cannabis can't tell the difference between the molecules. No plant can. But a biofeedback between rhizosphere and microbiology in an organic enviroment can regulate available nutrients in way that encourages and regulates development of higher more complex compounds.

• Like 2

i think you should still top water a wick feed plant. just not as much or as often. it'll help keep the good microbial life happy.

bingo!

Think of it as maintaining your biology's environment rather then watering the plant. If it's moist your good. If it's dry then your hindering the biology you are relying on to feed the plant.

And @Jet, welcome to the organic club. Keep a 400 around for strains that love em. I use 2 400's for just two strains that are mostly indicas and I run 1000's for girls everything else. I've pulled a pound off 4 cloned kolossus under a 400 so I can't dismiss them entirely, but when I moved to 1000's, holy fuck did it make my dreams come true.

You top water for about the first week, about half gallon, then you don't have to after that. I really love mine.

I have a soil room and an Octopot room, I did a gorilla glue in both rooms, just about the same in taste and smell. Forgot about that lol

Was the brix the same level in both soil and hydro. I am not seeing same brix that is in soil and I suspect this is part of the issue.

I know their is an appreciative difference with same clones with only one brix difference in hydro but I have no seen numbers much farther than average in hydro. Soil, no problem.

I would like to see a test between 12 in soil and 12 in hydro. I can dream and hope this aspect was looked at in your test.

Thanks for you input. I tend to believe that soil will tend to the better in ease of raising and maintaining brix levels in hydro but I am new to working brix in hydro. What I do not know on that aspect is much.

Hey Garden another question for you on the gorilla glue. Is it as great as they make it out to be?

I don't agree that hydro weed only has 1 smell that is ignorant to say :D

I've been doing hydro for 4 years now and I'm also moving away next run because I don't want to run any extra electrics on such as water pump and air pump and I feel that my burn/ash color could be better. Even with 2 week flush. Moved to Hesi for this run but Hesi boost fucked my res up I think and now i'm having constant PH drop even with white as fuck roots and no smell even without hesi boost in res anymore so once again bad taste / lockouts are coming..

If you want to grow huge trees _fast_ then go hydro but you can get the speed up with soil too but you'll have to have more plants.

BTW I dont have compost available so best choice would be Guanokalong nutes right?

I don't agree that hydro weed only has 1 smell that is ignorant to say :D

I've been doing hydro for 4 years now and I'm also moving away next run because I don't want to run any extra electrics on such as water pump and air pump and I feel that my burn/ash color could be better. Even with 2 week flush. Moved to Hesi for this run but Hesi boost fucked my res up I think and now i'm having constant PH drop even with white as fuck roots and no smell even without hesi boost in res anymore so once again bad taste / lockouts are coming..

If you want to grow huge trees _fast_ then go hydro but you can get the speed up with soil too but you'll have to have more plants.

BTW I dont have compost available so best choice would be Guanokalong nutes right?

Can you get worm castings? I've used them to the same effect as compost and along with some other amendments like soy meal, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, rock dust, etc..I was happy with the end product for sure. I only ask because a lot of places that sell hydro stuff might carry organic/soil inputs as well.