•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

StankyDank30

Bros grimm...are they legit?

I think most growers want more uniform (less phenos) in their seed packs.

People interested in breeding a bit will tend to want landrace to hybrids of F1 seeds and F2 seeds depending on project type, generically spoken.

Depending on perspective of the type of grower it can matter quite a bit. I imagine for over all seed sales stable phenos are best so a higher working of the lines. F2+, more F's the less phenos. For home growers this is ideal and gives them more of an idea of what to expect.

This is one reason I really like Dynasty Seeds, they explain their common phenos.

F1's are typically released in limited works and projects as they are expressing more phenos and offers a wider selection. Which can literally go from tiny to large plants. Also, finishing times can be all over the place. Think of F1's more as a raw material or a wild horse that needs to be tamed. Though, the farther the line is worked the less vigor and eventually degradation will happen with the line. So its a trade off. To much inbreeding and nature says yuck...

In my opinion, if you want to test your growing skills, do a mixed crop of F1's seeds from different plant types. If you can manage that crop well. You is good! You will be tested in plant management skills of about every direction from various nutritional needs to height control. Not that it is rocket science but illustrates how well someone understands the fundamentals of growing.

Edited this in:

The reason I stated F2 rather than F1 before in another post is the F2 version would already represent the 1st cut in "their" original selections. So for them, I would think F2 would be the main go to seeds to restart selections while F1 seeds would be more ideal for others as they can select the phenos they want to begin to work on. I should of stated that in the other posting.

• Like 3

Landraces are too unpredictable IMO. Unless its tested over n over before breeding. Ask GardenArtus about landrace Mexi lines (from Esko)... One reason I never grew out jalisco jaze is, its a very unpredictable plant. Land race untested could be seeded from a hermie plant. You just never know. F1s are generally stable as hell if you know your gear. Landrace to me means WILD and UNPREDICTABLE. Different views, but generally my shits stable, minus afghan chitral x heri and snow qn x heri. Afghan chitral was my first grow with it, sq x heri, idk wtf went wrong there...

• Like 3

To state the obvious, who cares if what Mr Soul produces IS the original he began with? Plenty of folks DO have the original Grimm cuts, seeds, etc.

I'd be more interested in what he's done with it now, compared to the others. From everything I've ever read about the guy, he's a stand up breeder.

For the life of me, I don't know why no dispensaries are advertising old school pot for old hippies!!! The plus 55-60 crowd seems a market ripe for exploiting with marketing. That's why I love Grimm, they, IMO, created some of the finest old times, psychedelic sativa highs I'e ever found.

• Like 1

I think most growers want more uniform (less phenos) in their seed packs.

My opinion on that subject is varied. If you knew there were very few phenos you could just buy a 5 pack and not worry about missing out, and you would

know if you like the strain - period. However, many people want fems and fems are hard to make with very little pheno expressions unless made from

inbred lines, but then you lose vigour.

Also, sometimes having some major variation allows you to make choices. Ones that are garbage you throw away, others that are stellar you keep.

Take Sannie's Jackberry, in the F2 I found a pheno that was amazing, but in the F4 there were very little variations and it wasn't what I liked in the f2.

Generically speaking, this is because the pheno you liked in the F2 might have been bred out in the F4 version. We are basically saying the same thing. I do speak on the loss of vigour as you progress further down the f, line. It is a trade off.

This is one reason I value breeders who list the phenos to expect. So you have a good understanding of what to expect. Breeders tend to have a direction they are working with a line, not just jaming them together and seeing what happens, outside of male testings and such.

For breeders who do not state the common phenos try to gain and understanding to appreciation of the direction the breeder is working the line and this can give you an idea of what to expect from the seeds in general terms. This is more valid for F3+ in my view.

For new growers I tend to recommend that they learn on stable strains (IBL and/or high F lines). This way they can concentrate on learning the basics, after that I tend to recommend something with a bit more variation so they can learn more on techniques and such.

Think about if u could keep a mom or dad alive 15 years with no fuck ups. Very hard to do in illegal areas

Indy..this makes our life f..ing so exciting..loosing my selected cuts when I had to move fast...still a black day in my calendar..but at least I know I have the power to stand up after a big KO..

• Like 5

Landraces are too unpredictable IMO. Unless its tested over n over before breeding. Ask GardenArtus about landrace Mexi lines (from Esko)... One reason I never grew out jalisco jaze is, its a very unpredictable plant. Land race untested could be seeded from a hermie plant. You just never know. F1s are generally stable as hell if you know your gear. Landrace to me means WILD and UNPREDICTABLE. Different views, but generally my shits stable, minus afghan chitral x heri and snow qn x heri. Afghan chitral was my first grow with it, sq x heri, idk wtf went wrong there...

I don't disagree, but to me it's interesting to say the least that EVERY single sort-of-landrace seed (like Ace gear) I've grown was great, yet many modern hybrid seeds turned out average or worse. This of course is related to my habit of flowering out only one or two plants per strain, instead of a whole pack, because I like to grow a couple of strains at a time. But still, to me it's the modern hybrids that are unpredictable.

• Like 5

i can't imagine being greedy enough to expect to profit over 10 grand from each plant i grow. at $15 a seed he probably can make twice that.

i know mr soul is excellent at what he does, but that doesn't change the fact it's a seed from a plant that makes thousands at a time. so unless for 150 bucks they come with a guarantee and/or direct access by phone or computer for one on one consultations with the breeder there's very little chance the greedy prick will ever see any of my money.

i don't wish it upon anyone, but it would be funny to me if their new gear is hermi prone as all hell or just non-vigorous crap. the fact soul said he was giving seeds for selected test growers, and then didn't, doesn't sit well with me either.

• Like 6

I don't disagree, but to me it's interesting to say the least that EVERY single sort-of-landrace seed (like Ace gear) I've grown was great, yet many modern hybrid seeds turned out average or worse. This of course is related to my habit of flowering out only one or two plants per strain, instead of a whole pack, because I like to grow a couple of strains at a time. But still, to me it's the modern hybrids that are unpredictable.

Ace Seeds panama was the weakest in my garden last year. Pretty decnt smoke but hardly postent, and DEFINITELY not close to any of my own or Sannies, Eskos, and def didnt come close to Blue Magoo. Pretty female plant but needs a booster shot of some sort :)

• Like 1

I gotta agree. I cant bash no one because im fucked up myself, but i see the world like this: prof p (i sound like a broken record) is like michael jackson to me, i will jump scream and cry like a groupie when i see him (lol) because he dosent call it blue magoo... He calls it what it is..blue magoo BX2

He doesnt call his space queen backcross space queen..because its not, its soliloqueen!

So this is why i feel hesitent with the new bros grimm, they came out the gate naming strains what there not. Jumping right into the new way of canna business money as the motivation only, they will fit right in.

Just for the record i went with shackzilla. Ill use the $100 im saving and take my daughter out to dinner.

Thanks sannie!

Ill admit tho i was close, and the first time i read there company description i felt they were probley complete legit.

@dieseldog... I CARE!! Wanna piss me the fuck off?? Then lie to me while taking my money.

@indy.. Bro if your ever in jail we will refer to you as "in da can" haha why did that cross my mind

Thanks for all the info once again and hempyfan bro you sure do care about your post. Detail punctuation info unbiased ect very clean post always

• Like 4

a few, other than me, have lost old strains due to things beyond our control..lol

I lost my old DJ bb and my old time afghan that I got from Emory way back there.

Indy lots of folks have seen my garden in picks..your gear is , for the most part prettu uniform.

as far as the panama,,stick the heri to its ass..lol

• Like 2

One issue I think with peoples perspective is the view of a genetic strain varies and this can be with all sides being accurate and honest and then when you add in the subjectivty aspect the issue is more hazy...

For example, lets say a newer grower desires a strain and all they know about the strain is from forum talk and videos and they believe this strain is tops. So they order a pack of seeds not knowing to appeciation about the parents, the phenos (not always possible so that point is limited), grow methods and other pertinent information. They think they will get the video buds and they might but...

It is more likely newer growers to experienced growers of some degree as skill and knowledge is always increasing may have played a role in the perceptions from earlier grows and that imbalance is hard to keep in perspective later on when reflecting on past. Not saying to discount this aspect, by no ways am I saying that but I offer this. This aspect is clearly visible once someone gains an appreciation for having temps and humidity ideal rather than border line.

Yes you can grow what you see as a great plant but grow it in ideal conditions and you will be mad at yourself for your past views. This is why in part I speak so heavy on working towards the grow environment and not what the forums and marketing typically say.

In short, you have to take an opinion on a strain based on several factors and this varies. First, the capabilities of the grower. This is very important as it directly relates to the quality of the product. Not to take away from grow logs but just saying on an aspect on how to evaluate to keep in perspective. No insults here, not pointed at anyone, generically spoken advice. Take it for it is to you or not.

Specifically somewhat, Was yield in range, why? if the grow has more leaf, why? If it is hard or fluffy, why? Does the grower harvest at the point that you would? Depending on this/ripeness you can gage a bit in reference to your taste. Try to find grow logs that match your style and preference. Very much easier said than done.

when I say why? I mean deeper than most may think, reviewing aspects from nutrition to lighting to management and all pertinent aspects as to identify the likely reason for it, be it genetic, be stress, or be nutritional in likely cause. This is very important when looking at grow logs otherwise you are not possibly seeing what you think you are seeing.

I dont want to write to much but understand depending on the type of generation of seeds (f1, f2, f3, f4 etc). This will affect a persons view of the strain and with the higher F numbers the more stable so a pack of seeds can illustrate a good view of the genetic.

However, if you only get a pack and have lower F generations and generally as stated about the land race plants these have more diversity and this means phenos. (I have to say it like this due to someone taking my words personally, it is not), "some type of breeders" want this diversity when they want to "create" a line and is a big reason why large plant count numbers are used. Not only do you want to the phenos you want depth of those phenos to select from.

Home breeders can not easily pull this kind of breeding off due to the complexities of that so they look for genetic lines further worked down the F line. They give up control of the starting line and have to begin with someone else work but they gain in that they can get access to working and worked lines.

This can be comparable to restaurants to a point. Lets say you have two high rated restaurants. One is a high rated and popular chain restaurant and one is an equally high rated Chef owned restaurant. The difference is mainly this. The chain restaurant food is not truly chef made and not made from scratch and/or as fresh as you think, quite often their is not much pride in the staff but this is generic statement. While the Chef owned restaurant will often make their foods a high quality and typically the chef and staff tend to take personal pride in their work.

Now those who are regulars of the chef restaurant would typically not want to eat at the popular chain restaurant but both are probably successfull and depending on perspective and personal preferences and taste one or the other will appeal to you. Both are great!

So the risk of getting unfavorable phenos in the F1 and landrace is higher and add in the higher amount of phenos in that generation a pack of seeds is not easily dependable to illustrate accurately the face of strain.

So you should keep in perspective what to realistically expect when viewing a grow or growing a pack of seeds depending on generation period of the seeds, the capabilities and competency of the grow and looking for those who share similar views toward you will do much to help you truly gain an understanding of a genetic.

Often individual opinions are flawed for in part the reasons I stated and this means no ill on a grower and is not stated to start shit but to just give advice on how to maybe figure some shit out for real.

Hempyfan,

Jah Bless!

• Like 1

I have yet to grow on a level that I dream about. Lots of smaller rooms, to save time on adjusting different variables in each room. And that would be for a single strain! As a novice grower with only a few grows under my belt, I find that getting advice to "dial in your room" is SO MUCH easier said than done. And that is frustrating.

I find that this is comparable to what a breeder not limited by space, security, and resources can do vs. the average home grower. Not sure if I'm on topic exactly, but these thoughts came to mind while reading your last post Hempy... But other than that I like your analogy. I think every so often we will get those intrepid adventurers who travel the world and dive back into the wild landraces to inject our industry with the genetic diversity we need to keep our minds ablaze. Because as I've heard many of you say, although I haven't experienced it first hand, the strains lose potency over time? Breeding and re-breeding?

Who wants to take a trip with me? B-)

• Like 2

It is only when breeding within the line (IBL and high F # lines) to far does it start to lose vigor. If you was to breed to another genetic it can regain its vigor.

Uncomfortable example:

Think of the incest. It makes mutant type people the more generations of incest but if they have kids outside of blood line normal children can happen.

Some talk on dialing in: Do not fear going a bit away from what the book says about best practice to find environmental balance.

When dialing in, start from basics, is the light to intense to cool properly? Maybe raise lights if possible, maybe air cool lights and/or explore effective air cooling options. This could mean air conditioning.

What is humidity and what measures to control/manage that?

Do you have fresh air coming in and good air flow but not overly strong? Maybe look at a speed dial on an intake fan to better help with that.

Is your nutrition correct to matching the plant developement?

Working those aspects will help much. Just forget what people say you need and at what levels. We think we grow plants, our environment grows the plants. So we want to make the best grow environment as possible. You are better off growing with small lights at great temps/humidity than to grow with large lights in uncomfortable settings.

I get it can be some work to obtain, but it is worth the effort and I do not mean to make it sound like it is simple. It first takes obtaining an appreciation for the concept and then being dedicated to answering any applicable aspects that apply.

With that said, you do the best you can with what you have to work with and with the limitations and unique aspects that may apply. As you state, it is far easier said than done but most things of quality are.

Thanks for the comments Hempy. I agree that understanding the concept first is important, and in my opinion that's where the easy part ends. It's the practical aspect of acquiring the materials/equipment/grow space to even have the option of controlling the environment that is the hard part. Same with the difficulty in having good breeding conditions. Need space! :-)

• Like 1

If you are looking for a good source of Bro Grimm gear check out Headigardens on IG

Talk to Shoe he is a lot like Sannie in that he really does care and provides the best costomer service

Just got some Bodhi gear from him and my payment sat at the PO for a few days without notifying him so since I had to wait a couple days he threw in an extra pack for free

Ace Seeds panama was the weakest in my garden last year. Pretty decnt smoke but hardly postent, and DEFINITELY not close to any of my own or Sannies, Eskos, and def didnt come close to Blue Magoo. Pretty female plant but needs a booster shot of some sort :)

Yes, you keep bringing up that Panama, but I hope your opinion about (semi-)landraces is based on more than that grow. I hated Sugar Punch and Chocolate Rain, but I wouldn't conclude Sannie and Esko are hacks.

Panama to me doesn't have a high that lends itself for potency. It's a connoisseur high, sativa but mellow and laid back. Potency is pretty meaningless anyway... if I want to get higher, I smoke more. I can make sift or extracts if pure herb can't take me there.

• Like 3

Bro Grimm will. be coming out with some new gear this summer

They have been working on a RKS

save your cheddar bro, there are some more reliable sources working on making the RKS available again soon.

• Like 1

View PostMrBreeze, on 27 April 2016 - 10:29 PM, said:

Bro Grimm will. be coming out with some new gear this summer

They have been working on a RKS

save your cheddar bro, there are some more reliable sources working on making the RKS available again soon.

Nope no cheddar bro

Who are you

You are the expert on BrossGrimm

You can determine the work they have put in is reliable

You as a dope

You are a dope

Foothill farmer do you not know anything if you don't have respect for their work

Just so you know they have been working on RKS for sometime now

MOD-EDIT:

please refrain from responding with this kind of hate for no reason.

that was completely uncalled for, mate ... a teeny-tiny warning has

been send via pm.

Edited by santero

I will waite and let the products speak for themselves. We may have views towards this and that but as far as I am concerned it is just discussion until the products are known.

I truly hope they are quality and I am sure they will be but to what extent I think is the question. Now will they match the hype, well that is subjective and I truly feel for them on this one. Forget the hype/expectations and judge on merit alone and if it qualifies bravo and if it dont, well then the I told you so guys get their moment! Either way, lifes goes on, painfully I know but it goes on....

I would like to see two things. People who grow and imbibe the plants who know what they are and those who grow & imbibe them and think it is just a no name seed as those views would be interesting to me.

Thanks for all the responses gentleman i appreciate the info also your guys views.

I do ask you respect my thread. Dont put another brother down because of his opinion on fking seeds. Thats stupid.

Mr breeze i respect your love for the new bros grimm, can you post some info on your grows you have done of there new work? We love to see

• Like 3

Well some may very well have there original strains and millions do not , truth is how soon people forget the old school breeders that made peoples dreams come true,, its sickens me how we are as a society today,,, these old school breeders are the ones that made Esko , sannie breeders today from the likes of soul and many others.. for some its a hobby we got to remember that .

Family comes first ,

Should we condemn Sannie for not making a new strain now for some years ???

Can some one honestly tell me what is Sannies last bred strain that he sells , And how new is it 6 months ?? year ?? 2 years ??? breeders are people to, they got lifes kids families and most importantly issues just like everyone one of us have or will have

Is Grim legit well lets hope so right obviously there are grows from his original stock and will not be hard to see if its not the same or is from journals scattered all over the net