•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
smilestyle

Malawi Gold smokereport

One gram Malawi Gold.

gallery_3033_4124_3526187.jpg

This is afropips Malawi gold anounced to flower 14-16 weeks outdoors.

My MG came down after 14 weeks and 1 day. I presume the high intensity of my 600 w. hps shortens the flowertime about a week. I have experienced this, most of the time, I grow pure sats.

Yield 8. 75/ 10. A very big fluffy headcola and some impressive budspears from the sideshoots. Good yielder.

smell: ...no smell, sorry...

Taste: The taste is orangepeel, tangerine sour. The taste lingers on for some moments 8.75/ 10

High: The buzz of MalawiGold is a natural, strong, longlasting upbeat, awake 100% sativa rush.

It´s not racy only clear and increased bloodpressure making you feel warm and comfortable.

It lasts 3 hours and fades out leaving you sober without any burnout effect, even in higher doses. 8.75/10

Overall 8.75/10

Easy to grow high yielding tropical sativa with a good taste and a longlasting high.

Recommended.

smile

• Like 18

I was gonna ask earlier at the bud shot topic but did you check trichs? I'm sure it's nice weed to have around for summer activities :)

@ nightmara I check for trichs but it´s not my thing. Pure sativas only have a thin layer of tiny trichomes, difficult to study.

In addition I go by the brown stygma of the calyxes: The harvest window opens, when 60% of the hairs have turned to brown.

smile

Thanks for the report.

Did you reproduce it in its pure form?

I'd like to see a side by side comparison between this and the Malawi by Ace.

Was it devastating at all?

Im happy u finished sucessfully..

my malavies still in veg pots.... had to top them, they overgowed the small veg cabin in a week lol

i think most of us would felt paranoia also...but u are an expert sativa smoker:)

No ,this is a natural soft starting, creepy high that gets stronger andstronger and stronger. A spliff lasts long ( up to 3 hours).

It´s the kind of high, that tropical sativas, especially africans, are known for : All in the head, up, clear, awake and able to function ,but not racy or vibrating at all.

Kind of superior relaxed and balanced effect.

No ceiling.

No burn out, whatsoever.

Very nice.

smile

• Like 4

@ Dimitri.

I didn´t reproduced Malawi Gold this time.

I still have enough seeds left to reproduce MG and will do so.

Meanwhile, I can play with Malawi Gold x Lemon Thai, I made this round.

smile

• Like 6

I'd like to see a side by side comparison between this and the Malawi by Ace.

I think there's a side by side report on ICmag.

The Afropips were a bit more uniform if I remember it well.

• Like 2

While I am sure it has no real similarities. It looks very much like some plant I got in Fiji about 12 years or so ago.

Strong race like but not speedy if that makes sense and tingly like with different type of potency. It was like shrooms meet cannabis but not hallucinogenic.

Only smoked, I did not see the plants. It was Muslim driver who got it for me. He brings it to me and I sit and prepare and offer him some. He looks at me as if no one has ever offered him anything before. He thinks for a few minutes and says, their is nothing that says I can't and we have a good moment in life.

Thanks for enabling the recall of memories!

• Like 4

Malawi Gold is easy to grow. She shows any lack of N in her leaves, but recovers fast when given the right nutrients.

My particular plant was very stout for a tropical Sativa. That was induced by letting her for 6 weeks in a 4 l pot. I thougt , itwas a male. It smelled "Male".

At the end she had a 8,5 L container and had grown to a respectable size ( 130 cm).

The internodes were short (ca. 8cm) and the buds long fluffy spearshaped candles, giving her an overall bushy look.

smile

...did you check trichs?

I also remember from that side by side topic that most of the trichs appear in the last two weeks.

And I think you chopped them relatively early, just like the Malzilla,

Two more weeks and they will get really devastating (@Dimitri).

I still have enough seeds left to reproduce MG and will do so.

That's great, the heritage of Afropips deserves to be continued.

And it's good oportunity to let them flower a little longer.

• Like 2

@F.o.t.h

Yes, I harvest early.

Anything wrong with that?

A plant that has 70 - 75 percent rusty, orange hair on the buds is ripe for me and ever has been.

Everyone has his own preferences and rightly so.

smile

• Like 5

Standards are subjective and the only thing I care about is if the grower is happy with it.

While not so common, I have seen very potent plants that do not look like they would be. Sativa type of effects are different than the indicas and strong hybrids and this often takes a direction to the connoisseur. Especially when you factor in time grow times.

So I would keep in mind, this is a sativa type of plant more so for the connoisseur grower. It is not really correct to compare more market friendly strains.

In addition, growers take the plants at different stages of ripeness based of personal preference and as pointed out by another grower that this can have a big affect on the trich developement. An aspect that the grower understands and by preference chooses to take at what the other grower would consider unripe. So depending on ones personsal prefereances on the grow, you can see issues or a plant ready to cut.

It is all good and we all have unique and evolving preferences and tastes. I dont judge. I would likely be wrong if I did.

• Like 3

All tropical pure sativas shouldn´t be jugded with your "bud nuggetry" - glasses on.

The weed itself is very light. Buds are airy and fluffy. Since ganja is always weight to be sold, you wouldn´t get a valueable price for it.

It´s better to be enjoyed in the comfy zone of your home and forget about any weights.

smile

• Like 5

@F.o.t.h

Yes, I harvest early.

Anything wrong with that?

It's your party, so as long as you are happy, it's fine.

But it does not show the full potential of the strain.

And I have my doubts about this remark:

I presume the high intensity of my 600 w. hps shortens the flowertime about a week.

• Like 2

Afropips? That takes me back, I ordered a pack of their Fast Blast from a seedbank about 8 years ago, said they'ld send it as soon as it arrived back in stock. I'm still waiting.

• Like 1

Afropips? That takes me back, I ordered a pack of their Fast Blast from a seedbank about 8 years ago...

Here's why you never got them:

Afroman sadly passed away on the 1st of September 2008 at the age of 43 years. After decades working with the cannabis plant, James may have passed away but his legacy lives on.

• Like 2

That'd be a sativa, love those buds.

Whenever I hear some youngling talking about "rock hard buds", as if that meant anything, I know I've someone who's probably never had REAL cannabis.

Thanks for sharing, sativa's rule!

• Like 1

I'm with Smile, and in fact I believe harvesting at mostly clear is where full potential is realized, especially for sativas. The little science we have about our plant shows amber trichs correlate to higher CBN levels and polymerized terpenes. I'll harvest before the active substances have started to break down, thank you very much ;)

• Like 3

Meh, take when "you" like or if growing for patience or such than that is different. I only speak from a personal perspective.

Years of liking what I like is not going to change because of some words on a paper. I really do not care the equations or numbers or whatnot of my preference unless it is for a specific reason to understand or refine the aspect for me.

I personally could give two shits if my numbers came back at 3% THC and CBN 10% (made up some numbers) and if harvested at the ideal "book" time the numbers might 10% THC and CBN 3%.

If I like the 1st one. That is my business and is not up to others to have opinions on that preference.

However, explanations of harvesting windows are valuable and great addition to such a post.

Their is subjectivity but before you can get to subjectivity on what your preference is you have to gain an understanding. I did not come into the cannabis environment when testing was a real thing and thus I have preference due to experience over time. This is like trying telling someone their taste wrong. No fancy words is going to easily alter that.

I say this, if your a new grower and do not yet know this aspect for you. Then I would say to take one plant if you can let it go early, take some, mid, ripe and over ripe and then decide for yourself. Otherwise, you do not really know and are overly influenced in my opinion. Use the rules of harvesting that leads the effects that you like.

Ok, now you also have to factor in the strain, environment and such too but keep in mind, plants cant read a calendar as we do and phenos of the strains often will vary much too, so even if one person has same strain and they finish where you like and you have a different pheno it can be different. I say that for newer growers.

Harvesting is one thing we kind of take for granted until the time comes. It is natural to want to take early and hard to let go longer. I would say to look at the your early grows as learning curves. The more you learn the same strain the better. What people do not often say when you see a crop that is impressive, those growers really knows those plants well.

Add in harvesting from seed plants and having many, if you want to take at optimum time for you than this can be process until you learn it. Then you just look at the plant and know before you know it you use a scope rarely.

Their are benefits and minuses to cutting at various points. To some, those matter more than others. I work for people to understand and for them to select on their preferances but an educated one in written and experience form.

I can say this. I do not recall ever being unhappy taking a plant within the ripe zone as the book would say. So to me, its all win win with more hold your ass to the ground with more amber. Generically spoken.

To me, harvesting is like cooking & seasoning food. Look at the whole effect of you are wanting and grow/cook to that. When you can do that. Words on a paper have no meaning and if I learned to harvest from only writings I would worry I would not have the understanding I have if I was just growing as how some book or report said is best. I only use such things as a reference, not as a rule book!

To me personally, taken way to early but so the f-what. What I really like is understanding the growers perspective and what that appeals to him. Especially when it is a purposed and reasoned decision. I hope to learn something or gain a perspective/understanding a bit. I try to say why? before I say I would not do that.

Hempyfan,

Jah Bless!

• Like 1

The taste and quality of the high can vary depending on when you pick. Picking early can give more high and less stone, and better aromatics. Aroma and taste usually peak before potency. Tropical Sativas are not like the hybrids most people grow. The finishing period for most strains is relatively short, but can last weeks for a sativa. Often the buds ripen at different times, with bottom buds being ripe as new buds are still forming at the top. If I had waited for orange pistils, my CoJam would have had no taste or smell. I have never encountered a plant that gains most of the potency at the end. The majority of THC is produced between day 40 and day 80 on a 100 day flo. By the time the pistils start to turn, you are usually 75-85% of max potency. This could mean a difference of 2-4% THC on a Sativa, and many people do not want to waste 2-3 weeks of grow space and resources for a small gain.

This is CoJam picked just as the pistils began to turn. There was nothing wrong with the potency, and the trichomes were mushroomed. Some sativas do not kill their pistils the same as indicas and hybrids.

gallery_7190_3031_985506.jpg

• Like 8