Eerste keer kweken, enkele vragen ivm grond/potten, overzichtje van de plannen

18 replies to this topic

#1 Weedguru

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:55 PM

Edit: Posted in Dutch since I mistook this forum for wietforum.nl, translated to English now

Hi all,

Planning to go to the local growshop for all stuff I need for my first grow soon.
I'm still doubting about one or two things and interested to hear other people's thoughts/ideas
I'm unsure whether to go for 400w or 600w, I was recommended to buy 600w ballast/lights and that if need be I can always dimm them to 2/3s if I want it to operate at 400w (for temperature reasons, growing on the attic floor)

Tent: Secret Jardin DarkRoom 120 - €189

Strain: Special Queen x3
Lights:
HPS - Gavita - €39/€49 (400w/600w)
MH - Superveg - €39/€59 (400w/600w)
Ballast: Gavita - €175/€205 (400w/600w)
Hood: €20-€30
Ventilation: 125mm 300m3 - €79 (EDIT: I was told this would probably be too small, and to maybe go for 150mm 450m3 instead?)
Carbon Filter: Can Original 300m/h - €39

---> I read people using Can's and hating Phresh and vice versa, any thoughts?
Pots: 1L - 11L - x5
---> Normal plastic pots, or are smart pots a "must"?

Soil: Here help would be most appreciated, growshop recommended me to take the pre-fertilzed Plagron (Growmix I believe?) and to switch to Lightmix + Nutes when replanting the seedling at 3 weeks.

However, I'd like to grow bio and got the suggestion to: Use lightmix for 3 weeks, no nutes, for the seedling, and then transfer to Batmix. However, I've had people tell me "DONT EVER GO FOR BATMIX!" and "I love batmix I grow with nothing else!"... Thoughts?

Nutrients: Plagron

And a bunch of small stuff, shears, gloves, stone wool for germinating?, thermo/PH/hygrometer

If I'm missing essentials, do tell! Any tips are highly appreciated.
I'ma try and keep a strict grow journal, stay tuned!

Grts

#2 Damar

rookie gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • Interests:Organic Gardening

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:11 PM

Using google translate as my friend, so that we can all enjoy! :)

View PostWeedguru, on 24 May 2016 - 09:55 PM, said:

Hey,

I go this week to the grow shop (Belgium) to buy all the supplies.
Have some doubts that I like to have a third opinion wanted to hear.
I am unsure if I would stabbing a 400w or 600w, I live in an attic apartment and guess the temperature in summer that high can be a 600w (what que heat apparently serious piece up is 400w, so they have me anyway told). In itself, I can safely live with a smaller harvest, 400w seems sufficient to breed some nice plants. If I can put three, I'm happy. [/ Indent] [indent] Would stabbing a 350m3 carbon filter, but doubt between Can or Phresh, the opinions both directions online walking in the extreme ..

Tent Secret Jardin Darkroom 120 - € 189

Strain: Special Queen x3
Lights:
HPS - Gavita - € 39 / € 49 (400w / 600w)
MH - Superveg - € 39 / € 59 (400w / 600w)
Ballast: Gavita - € 175 / € 205 (400w / 600w)
---> Is a digital ballast, there is reason to go for an analog (except for something cheaper?)
Hood: € 20- € 30
Ventilation: 125mm 300m / h - € 79
Carbon Filter: Can Original 300m / h - € 39
Pots: 1L - 11L - x5
---> Ordinary plastic pots? Or is it really a must go for smart pots?

Soil: This was told me in the grow shop, possibly three weeks fertilizer for seedlings (guess they suggested Plagron Growmix?) And then continue on lightmix + nutes
Like I had grown any bio, and I read online for any 3 Weeks Lightmix, then switching to Batmix mixed to loosen the soil with 30% perlite and then supplement with nutrients after 3 weeks
---> Sounds which Bio course ok? Or maybe better for what the grow shop advised to go?

Nutrients: P Lagron x3

And then a lot of little things, of course:
Gloves, scissors, 1-2 fans, plastic sail, stone wool for germination ?, thermometer, PH meter, hygrometer?

Further essential things that I have forgotten? Tips are very welcome.
Going to try to keep a journal grow pretty well, so stay tuned!

Grts

Sounds cool Weedguru! Yeah, attic grows can be tough. I'd think even a 400W will produce a lot of heat, so make sure the fans are running well! Luckily you have the Secret Jardin 120 and not the 60 :D Good luck, and send us some pictures :)

again, with google translate:
Klinkt cool Weedguru! Ja, zolder groeit kan hard zijn. Ik zou denken dat zelfs een 400W zal veel warmte produceren, dus zorg ervoor dat de fans zijn goed loopt! Gelukkig heb je de Secret Jardin 120 en niet de 60: D Good luck, en stuur ons wat foto's :)
Living Organic Soil thread / grow journal ...

"Blessed is he who has found his work, let him ask no other blessings" -Thomas Carlyle

#3 barney

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1436 posts
  • Interests:growing, smoking, eating & sleeping.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:21 AM

Hey Guru, welcome, thanks, nice to meet you. :wave:
BaRnY

#4 Weedguru

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

View PostDamar, on 24 May 2016 - 10:11 PM, said:

Using google translate as my friend, so that we can all enjoy! :)

Sounds cool Weedguru! Yeah, attic grows can be tough. I'd think even a 400W will produce a lot of heat, so make sure the fans are running well! Luckily you have the Secret Jardin 120 and not the 60 :D Good luck, and send us some pictures :)

again, with google translate:
Klinkt cool Weedguru! Ja, zolder groeit kan hard zijn. Ik zou denken dat zelfs een 400W zal veel warmte produceren, dus zorg ervoor dat de fans zijn goed loopt! Gelukkig heb je de Secret Jardin 120 en niet de 60: D Good luck, en stuur ons wat foto's :)

I'll be sure to get some decent fans, and to take lots of pictures.

Apologies for the post in Dutch, I thought I was posting to "http://www.wietforum.nl/index.php" because of the layout :)

#5 Indican

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6981 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:29 PM

If you have ac ducting in the attic, Id suggest tapping into it for cool air. If not, maybe suck some air from below from the house?? Maybe install a bathroom fan to vent cool air up. Just a thought :)
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allen Poe

#6 Weedguru

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:49 PM

View PostIndican, on 25 May 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

If you have ac ducting in the attic, Id suggest tapping into it for cool air. If not, maybe suck some air from below from the house?? Maybe install a bathroom fan to vent cool air up. Just a thought :)

I actually have an AC unit in the grow room itself (installed by previous owners), I was thinking of having it jump on once a day to get the room back to a cooler 25 degrees C at the hottest time of day, just gotta be careful the jump in temp isn't too much too freak the plants out

#7 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4268 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:52 PM

You want stability and not temp shocks. Not kind to the plants.

Get a temperature control switch for your ac and the issue should be over. run at night with lights off at day.
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#8 Weedguru

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:18 PM

View PostHempyfan, on 25 May 2016 - 05:52 PM, said:

You want stability and not temp shocks. Not kind to the plants.

Get a temperature control switch for your ac and the issue should be over. run at night with lights off at day.

Yeah, the temp shocks remark makes sense... But what dyou mean by a temperature control switch? I mean, what does it do differently from the AC itself (yknow, put mode to "cool", set temperature at 28(?)).

Edit: Just to be clear, the AC unit is one of those hanging built-into the wall ones: Like this one

#9 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4268 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:51 PM

It all works well enough.

I would just set temp and be good with it. By temp switch you can get a plug that has a sensor you can place at canopy level but it does not matter as you find the settings good enough as you have so I did not really say much on that point. It can also set high and low temperatures for parts of the grow day as well.

If you can handle a 600w I would do that but having to use a 400w is not a bad thing either. I am not well versed in attic growing but I would imagine humidity is a big concern so having the air conditioner you have should make many a jealous attic grower.

I will say if you have not yet spent money. check out newer LED lights, I like full spectrum lights. I say this only due to heat aspects and end quality is competitive to each other.

I would make a stable to temp from 18-19c low and a high of 27-29c tops and take action at 30.5c. It can go higher but the plants will stop being efficient and around 32c and higher they suffer in my belief.

A danger sign is to look if you get leaves wet from touching each other. Add more airflow, take appropriate plant care action (take leaves?) and check humidity if that happens. I would suspect in your case with ac it will be due to air flow.

Looking forward to this one.
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#10 Cloneman

AKA Tobold Hornblower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:22 AM

Welcome mate,

I grow in an attic with 2 x 600w's, so I suggest a 600w, you can turn it down to 400 for early veg or heat.

As for soil use the Plagron Light Mix for seedlings and after 3/4 weeks when properly rooted then transplant in to Grow Mix. As for All Mix and Bat Mix they would be used for clones, older plants, ready for flowering.

Hope this helps
C
Posted Image
The only thing that is rare is time....

#11 Weedguru

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

View PostCloneman, on 26 May 2016 - 03:22 AM, said:

Welcome mate,

I grow in an attic with 2 x 600w's, so I suggest a 600w, you can turn it down to 400 for early veg or heat.

As for soil use the Plagron Light Mix for seedlings and after 3/4 weeks when properly rooted then transplant in to Grow Mix. As for All Mix and Bat Mix they would be used for clones, older plants, ready for flowering.

Hope this helps
C

Great, then that's settled now, both on the soil & lights.

Really appreciate the feedback!

#12 Weedguru

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:51 PM

View PostHempyfan, on 25 May 2016 - 08:51 PM, said:

It all works well enough.

I would just set temp and be good with it. By temp switch you can get a plug that has a sensor you can place at canopy level but it does not matter as you find the settings good enough as you have so I did not really say much on that point. It can also set high and low temperatures for parts of the grow day as well.

If you can handle a 600w I would do that but having to use a 400w is not a bad thing either. I am not well versed in attic growing but I would imagine humidity is a big concern so having the air conditioner you have should make many a jealous attic grower.

I will say if you have not yet spent money. check out newer LED lights, I like full spectrum lights. I say this only due to heat aspects and end quality is competitive to each other.

I would make a stable to temp from 18-19c low and a high of 27-29c tops and take action at 30.5c. It can go higher but the plants will stop being efficient and around 32c and higher they suffer in my belief.

A danger sign is to look if you get leaves wet from touching each other. Add more airflow, take appropriate plant care action (take leaves?) and check humidity if that happens. I would suspect in your case with ac it will be due to air flow.

Looking forward to this one.

Thanks, I'm deff gonna keep the temp shocks in mind, it's not an actual actual attic, simply the top floor of a 3 story house/duplex, it's the second bedroom (used to be baby room, ergo the AC). Before I start growing Ima run the setup for a day and see what does to the temperature (on a sunny day). We'll see what extra actions against are needed at that point.

As for the lights, I did consider LEDs, however... I'm confident enough to kinda wanna risk HPS, it seems tried & tested, and as first timer, I want to be 100 percent sure that if anything goes wrong, it's completely my own fault and not something like having bought sub-optimal lights. As far as which LED brands are reputable, it seems impossible to find out... "Everyone" kinda can agree that Gavita make decent lights/ballast for instance, whereas Mars Hydro for instance has people claiming they're anywhere from incredible to the biggest ripoff, it's hard to judge who's right without any prior experience :D

I appreciate the feedback!

#13 Automan

Advanced Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Growing, mowing and throwing...I really have to get more interests.

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

for temperature reasons, growing on the attic floor.........WELL a lot of people get busted for hot roofs.

Posted Image

#14 Bubbla

Advanced Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Hash, Weed, Growing! Travelling, Music, Collecting Seeds, Women, Landrace Hash, Dogs & Pot Noodles...

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

View PostAutoman, on 09 November 2017 - 09:28 PM, said:

for temperature reasons, growing on the attic floor.........WELL a lot of people get busted for hot roofs.

Posted Image
It's as simple as this.

Usally because they're fucking amateurs or just plain stupid, many times they're both. People who fill three or four bedrooms with lights & a shed load in the roof are asking for it, (talking about a lot, not one or two) Besides a heat signature is just as likely to be spotted from the air & plenty grows get busted because the chopper is looking for some kid who stole a moped using infra red, pick up your heat sig & record the coordinates/house & road, summer or winter, it makes no difference. Those pesky kids :P

Never, never put all your eggs in one basket. if you live where it Snows a lot, people need to think about the set up before they rush in, sadly many don't stop to think. If you grow, you have to accept that maybe (hopefully not) you'll get a knock on your door one day & that may involve going to prison. That's when you find out who's committed to Cannabis, not for money but for love of the plant.

it's as simple as that.

Peace

B
HAVE PEOPLE BEEN TAUGHT DIFFERENT THINGS OR ARE THEY TAUGHT ABOUT THE SAME THINGS IN A DIFFERENT WAY? THERFORE THE PEOPLE HAVE A DIFFERENT VIEW & UNDERSTADNING OF WHAT REALITY IS ALL ABOUT BECAUSE IT WAS TAUGHT TO THEM, IN A DIFFERENT WAY, FROM WHAT REALITY REALLY IS.

#15 Automan

Advanced Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Growing, mowing and throwing...I really have to get more interests.

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

Amen Bubbla, to grow indoors begs trouble , I'd love to do it , but the costs of being caught, with all that come with it , the stress. each knock on the door a panic, That is why I am an outdoor guy...

#16 Papalag

Old school hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:57 AM

We all learn from trial and error just hope the error don’t get you locked up

When I first started I didn’t think about odor control until I was driving home from work one night and the whole neighborhood smelled like weed
The next days I had a carbon filter and a replacement carbon filter and replacement fans
Peace
Stay safe
Paps

#17 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4268 posts
    Jah Bless!

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

Those that do not know wisdom of growing indoors who grow indoors and addicts risk being robbed more so than being busted by the cops

#18 bigun

old time grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4913 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:20 PM

I have so much insulation in my outside hrow rooms that frost and snow leave my house before the groe buildings..lol

4 sure it is something to think about..

#19 Bubbla

Advanced Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Hash, Weed, Growing! Travelling, Music, Collecting Seeds, Women, Landrace Hash, Dogs & Pot Noodles...

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:30 PM

View PostHempyfan, on 10 November 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

Those that do not know wisdom of growing indoors who grow indoors and addicts risk being robbed more so than being busted by the cops

“It doesn’t take a degree in astrophysics to grow, just common sense” ... Buddha :P

Who’d want to rob an addict ? They’ve never got any money!

Peace

B
HAVE PEOPLE BEEN TAUGHT DIFFERENT THINGS OR ARE THEY TAUGHT ABOUT THE SAME THINGS IN A DIFFERENT WAY? THERFORE THE PEOPLE HAVE A DIFFERENT VIEW & UNDERSTADNING OF WHAT REALITY IS ALL ABOUT BECAUSE IT WAS TAUGHT TO THEM, IN A DIFFERENT WAY, FROM WHAT REALITY REALLY IS.