30 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Goodfellow

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2288 posts
  • Interests:Interesting things

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:29 PM

Fellow seedlings that are taller, like double the height of the others, will be male.

"Welcome to Dankville, son"

100% Organically Grown

#2 spacemanspiff

Advanced Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:36 PM

That's what I've found.

#3 Mr Goodfellow

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2288 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:41 PM

Me, too. Anybody think it's sound enough to eliminate them early on? I had one last year that I was sure was a male but it kept bushing just enough to keep me growing it. It finally proved me right and I yanked it.

Just thinking about saving time and resources until it is already a couple of months old.

100% Organically Grown

#4 starinhazy

Trapped in time and I don't know what to do

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2257 posts
  • Interests:Family, friends, growing, learning, enjoying life, Concentrates, Seeds/genetics, hydroponics, organics, composting, Phish, Twiddle, Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:48 PM

I have seen this be both true and false. If you got extra beans and no space, then pull away, sometimes, it can just be a lankier pheno tho.
Sanity never came my way....
You'll never get out of this maze...
Relax and Dream...
oH Hi!...:)

#5 Mr Goodfellow

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2288 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:02 PM

Thanks, man. The more I think about it maybe I should grow a strong Indica with the few I think are male and try for my first crossing. I've never done it yet. I'm in the right place, huh?

Only problem with this grow is I don't know the genetics of any of my seeds.

I'm starting out ghetto. These all came from stuff I bought that would often have 1 or 2 beans in the bag. If it was more special than another one, I would always save them.

Last year I grew a nice 4 foot indica bush that had a major league stone to it that was obviously better than anything I remember it coming from.

I'm just thinking out loud here as I just thought about it. I suppose it would be good practice to start with some freebies first.

100% Organically Grown

#6 gardenartus

Queen B Medican Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1648 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:53 PM

That is interesting. One of the labs here has testing for Sexing your genetics lol no kidding, have to look to see how many leaves it must have, but 99.9% guarantee they can tell you the sex, no wait time on sexing.
The Devil Whispered in my ear "You're Not Strong Enough To Withstand The Storm" Today I Whispered In the Devil's Ear " I AM THE STORM"

Darkness can not hang with the light, The guilt becomes too much, too large a burden to bear, and soon they slink back into the night. Their actions they no longer can ignore, when the lightness shows their true intent. Choose to be the light.
Posted Image

#7 BagWell

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:38 PM

plants can be deceiving to say the least have guessed males and been right and also have been wrong
but no matter what its a 50 50 guess lol

#8 BagWell

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:54 PM

Here is one short bushy determined as a male but no sex yet big structure pretty sure its a male but might throw me a curve and be a female talk about nice structure
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Mr Goodfellow

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2288 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:14 PM

Thanks y'all. I agree that Mother Nature can always surprise us. Since I've only grown on occasion between long periods, I wondered what steady growers thought.

Bagwell... your plant brings me to another question about myth.. is there any clue from the leaf nodes being symmetrical and ones that are a-symmetrical?

I always heard that would indicate male sex. Reason I asked, is the one that I left for so long last season that turned out male was a-symmetrical. Something tells me that may not mean anything.

100% Organically Grown

#10 agreenpassion

Johnny Appleweed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2940 posts
  • Interests:Canna genetics, the meaning of life and maybe a few other things. Just ask.

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:37 PM

The height of seedlings and opposing nodes does not necessarily indicate a male plant. Right now I have 2 Chemo males that are 20" and 23" respectively from seed. Low values organic recycled soil veg at 3 month in 1 gallon tall pots. Just need me a little pollen... One looks a bit like a more multi branch version of bagwell's photo the other is a pole plant style.

Usually a cannabis plant will "tell" you it is initially ready to flower by it's opposing nodal structure. That can start for me in some strains as early as week 4 after germination with regular seed. Some afghani and blueberry crosses (a few other more landrace varieties too) seem to throw asymmetric growth faster and will flower on 14 hrs of light. (but that's another topic). More sativa leaning plants can take considerably longer to throw asymmetrical branches.
nothing for sale.

#11 Mr Goodfellow

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2288 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:44 PM

Thanks. I've always wondered. Experience is always valuable and that's why I love forums. If you're trying to learn a hobby, your learning curve goes way up asking questions and getting lots of answers from others before you.

100% Organically Grown

#12 MiNdLesS

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2122 posts
  • Interests:Growing, Knowledge, People, Family...and stuff

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:22 AM

IME u can see if its male or female by the growth of the plant. a shorter, stout growth is usually a female and a more lanky growth usually is a male....BUT not allways. My cheeseberry male looks like the twin of a female i had..same growthpattern and everything, just the leafs where a tiny bit smaller.

in most cases my "guess" is right, but sometimes i get a surprise...

hope that helps :wave:
He who has learned to do nothing with his whole mind and body will have everything done for him. DE

#13 starinhazy

Trapped in time and I don't know what to do

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2257 posts
  • Interests:Family, friends, growing, learning, enjoying life, Concentrates, Seeds/genetics, hydroponics, organics, composting, Phish, Twiddle, Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:36 AM

@Bagwell, hope he's a she...nice looking specimen
Sanity never came my way....
You'll never get out of this maze...
Relax and Dream...
oH Hi!...:)

#14 DesertGrown

All around plant guy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3427 posts
  • Interests:Everything cannabis.

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:11 AM

I don't agree with the idea that a taller seedlng wlll turn out to be male. I just haven't found that to be true in every case... or even a majority of the time.

Most plants will begin to mature when they have grown at least 6 - 8 internodes. Opposing nodal structure simply means the plant has reached maturity and is ready for the next phase of its life... which is usually flowering with most cannabis plant growers.

Nice plant BagWell...I'd keep that whether it was male or female.. good structure means a lot to me.
CANNABIS will get you through times of NO MONEY better than MONEY will get you through times of NO CANNABIS

#15 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4268 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:08 AM

I tend to view these aspect with concern and it is not due to myth stuff.

It has to do with understanding that when a grower ask that question, they are likely not well experienced. So this information is problematic as these growers do not yet generally appreciate to effectiveness of barely competent to best practice in growing. So this writing should be understood is more of those who are learning the art and skill of growing.

It should be understood that best practice can also be subjective at various aspects so it not always firm in what that is. Such as what is the ideal temp for your strain and environment might be a bit different for another strain in same environment and even pheno can show this. So it is never as simple as a black and white writing with smart words, plants just dont read, at least not english. These can only guide.

I generically consider skill level like this;
new grower (incompetent to barely competent),
amateur grower (basic competent),
semi skilled grower (competent to working towards best practice),
skilled grower (best practice),
experienced grower (best practice and can manage fluxuating grow conditions while maintaining quality of grow - this is often in one grow style at this level with other grow methods reduced largely by experience),
knowledged (can teach from begginner to experienced level.)

Ok, now let me get to my point.

In lesser skilled growers they can see growth in the plant and believe it is due to some reasoning other than reality.

Such as, prescribing the wrong reason for a stretchy plant. Is it due to genes or light?

Is the color of the plant due to nutritional issues, a brix issue, PH/disease/pest issue or genes?

Depending on your skill level and knowledge for "real" good luck figuring that one out with accuracy and I think those who asks these questions from myth directions are needing better guidance than just the answer. So I write this.

The skill level of some here will potentially cause them issue as some of these aspects are being discussed by various growers of skill level and understanding/appreciation and this confusion can sometimes have unintended consequences in people learning.

So I caution these discussions when people are learning without such context. So I wrote that context!
I suppose that is my way of sounding smart!
Hempyfan,
Jah Bless!

I write this in:
Until you actually get experience with a strain you can only take others writings as a guide. Please do not go throwing away plants because they are fast and "you believe" they are males just based on some forum talkings. Grow them out, learn them. Then see all the bull shit out there and shake your head like the rest of us who "thinks" we understanding something.

The best thing to understand is that no matter the best advice, it is only a guide for you. I would not act impulsively nor without "competent" reason and you will find your way nicely!
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#16 BalzaSteel

Dazed 'n' Confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4006 posts
  • Interests:Grokking

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:13 AM

"There's a grain of truth in every myth"

make that most myths and I'd agree

I'd guess that it's mostly true with lines that have been "worked" for several generations, but not even close to true in the first 2 or 3 generations

Stay Safe

Balzout
"Evil wears every possible mitten"

JUST SAY NO To Strain Name Acronyms

HOW TO UPLOAD PICTURES, scroll down to post #12

The NutHouse (grow journal)

#17 spacemanspiff

Advanced Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:16 AM

Do you clone? Your best bet is to clone it and throw it into flower. If it's male, just toss your clone, if it's female, it may be worth keeping.

Also, have a look at the space between the nodes where balls grow. Is there any indication of balls or female hairs sticking out?

#18 Dr Don Bonez

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, hollow earth theory, physics agriculture and
    GOOD BUD

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:48 AM

View PostMr Goodfellow, on 26 May 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

Fellow seedlings that are taller, like double the height of the others, will be male.

this is NOT always true. I had a plant i was certain was male. Long stretched internodes and minimal branching. Even 1st preflowers looked odd. Turned out to be a beasty female. I would advise not to cull untill at least a week in flo just to be certain.

best vybes og
ddb
NEVER TRADE RESPECT FOR FAME

#19 Mr Goodfellow

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2288 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:24 AM

Thanks guys. So, I was smart enough to think there might be some truth to the myth, but I've also been smart enough over the years to never have thrown a plant out until I saw the flower. It was just something I always heard growing up in the '70's and always wondered if there were any science.

I'm one who looks at my plant almost daily so I'm already on alert for males so I can catch them early anyway.

My thought is genetics would play a role. I know for some strains, females veg out tall and lanky and some don't so you would never want to "guess" when you're growing different strains. I'd say that once you grow a particular strain it might be easier to recognize

100% Organically Grown

#20 bigun

old time grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4913 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:07 PM

guys, I am probably one of the growers that learn every day..never get enough knowledge and always trying to improve to see just what they will do..push them a little..lol

I had been growing dj's bb and oldtime afghan for years ,a lot of years, and I still wwould get mixed up on the plants...
I thought for sure some were males and they were females and visa versa..

when I clone, I clone before the sex shows and when # 6 shows male, all the clones from 6 is destroyed..
I learned by that never, never discard a plant until I know 100% what sex it is..

happy growing and be safe