15 replies to this topic

#1 SantaBuds

Learning Grower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:08 PM

hey guys...

i'm new on the forum and i've been thinking about this hydro method..
i'm willing to change my system and go flood and drain with mapito... maybe you guys with expertise can help me finding the best way to go...

my setup is 100x100x200cm tent with 600w lamp on a hooded reflector... i have already built the table that i'm gonna run water.. it's 90x90x15cm wood table covered with plastic...

my doubt is if i should place res under table or if i could have the res out of the tent...... can i have the res out of tent? how could i drain the water out of table?

the reason i ask this is cause i found a nice 50L res that has 22cm in height... has the lowest height i found... table would be above that i say maybe 25cm to 30cm.. with the hooded fan at it highest position i would have maybe 30cm loss also... so into total i would loose about 60cm height only in that plus the fact that plants can't be right under the reflector, the need space....

also some other factors that has influence and i'm not sure where to go are pot sizes and plant numbers... fewer and bigger plants or more number and smaller plants?

so which direction you guys think i should go considering the space i have?

one love, santa!

#2 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4305 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:14 PM

A pic of your set up would help but I will give it shot before.

Do you have a drain in your table or are you going to pump the water out?

Either way, you can keep res out of tent and just run hoses from your pump res to table and back.

Or you can pump the water onto the table and after water level is reached then pump the water back out from the table and have no hoses for drains and such. (This is as simple as pumping water in to desired level on table, removing one container and placing sump pump in table and pumping the water back into the res, which you can use a trash can for if wanted in this case.)

You do not really want to expose your nutrient res to light that much but put a lid on it or cover it somehow, not air tight and your good.

This might help a bit video: https://vid.me/oCTp

If you still have questions I will see if I can help.
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#3 Nightmara

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:37 PM

Yes it's called modular when you place the res somewhere else but beneath of res but if you go with that way you should keep an close eye to hose connections etc because you don't want to get any water to floor..
I would suggest going with regular flood and drain and have it high just keep the efficiency up with SOG runs rather than vegging it's bad to veg in hydro setups anyways because they tend to stretch a lot
smoke

#4 Snydgrow

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:53 AM

Hi santabuds

Good to see you choosing a tried and tested growing technique im sure was you have it all setup you will like it very much.

First like hempy said you have a couple of options in regards to having the tank in the tent or the outside i would prefer the outside of tent personally as water temp wont be as high as having it inside tent.

If you are worried about height you could do what i have done for this https://www.opengrow...__fromsearch__1

take a look at first images on my journal as you can see i have raised the tent up by putting polystyrene sheets under the tent then i cut a hole out of tent and out of the polystyrene i then put pond liner in tent and pushed bit down into hole so this is lower for pump to sit in and pump out water.

I have a 200l tank out side of tent for you i would go with a 100l waterbutt this be a better option for you.

also i use a wet & dry hoover as the pump doesnt get out every bit of water so i use this.

advanteges are i have more height as my loft tent wouldnt allow me to have a system like you said i also find having the tank outside of tent ph is more stable i think when having inside from warming water with lights on then cooling with lights of has an effect on ph.

Some pics be nice

Snydgrow

#5 The Rose of Darkness

Sexy Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:17 AM

Flood and Drain doesn't necessarily have to pump upward and drain back...

While having a reservoir externally for cooler nutrient temperature, it just has to be lower than the flood height.

Come out of the table, 90 degree elbow and making a small incision in the tent to go out to the reservoir externally.

If you ever change your mind, a patch of aluminum tape will repair the incision.

The opposite can be done when height is an issue or in large rooms where tables are too difficult is to either allow a "gravity feedout" - where bottom of reservoir and pots are at ground level, just open feed valve and gravity will drain out into pots until desired flood height is achieved, then a bilge pump can pump the nutrient from ground level back into reservoir.

If not gravity feedout, a pump can feed out instead.
~Through growing I learn it is better to understand what I did wrong, than not understand what I did right~

#6 SantaBuds

Learning Grower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for coming by brothers... rolling the 1st joint in the day so i can reply y'all.. i will try to answer and post some pics....

hempy: i haven't drilled the hole yet cause i'm trying to decide if res goes out or not.... which pump is this sump pump you say? i'm thinking here that i also need a way to drain the res out when the grow is finished... drain it with a hose to the closest tank i have at home.... which probably 1.5 - 2m hose would work.... otherwise i would be able to lift the 50L or bigger res and trash the water away...

nightmara: i'm sure u have seen e$ko's guru videos... there is one video where he doesn't do sog style... he does 5 plants... veg them for 2 weeks if i'm not wrong and even top them twice... so that's where i got my doubt in which would be best for my space... doing sog plants or 4 topped plants that grows wider.. there are 5 videos for this 5 plant grow... i will link ya:

https://www.youtube....h?v=GKkJFBp0wCI

when i first built the tables, i built 2 of them... one for flower and one for veg... now i realise that veg must be minimum if needed at all and that i don't need extra table for veg... maybe sometime in future this veg room can be a second flowering room.... :D

Snyd: i wrote this post exactly after looking to your journal... this part is where i'm getting confused:

take a look at first images on my journal as you can see i have raised the tent up by putting polystyrene sheets under the tent then i cut a hole out of tent and out of the polystyrene i then put pond liner in tent and pushed bit down into hole so this is lower for pump to sit in and pump out water.

i see the sheets, i see the hole you made... but where is the res? i like the idea of the pond liner being at lower level so water sits there... i was trying to think how make water accumulate in a point without having to angle the table at 45º... lol...

dry & wet hoover??? can u link me to a pic of that?

posting the pics next!

thanks!

#7 SantaBuds

Learning Grower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:07 AM

i took few pics of the outside of tent... so u can check i have space for a sided res or to lift the tent up....

strange i didn't find attach file option when replying the message... uploaded files to gallery and gonna link to that:

side tent
Uploaded 02 Jun 2016 - 06:47

upper tent

@snyd: i dunno how easy i can get those polystyrene sheets... but i could build some sort of wooden structure.. dunno, opened to suggestions!

here are some pics of my veg room table, which was built exactly the same way of the flowering tent table... they just differ in width and length... the table in tent is sitting on the floor...

veg table

veg table

and here is my actual garden atm:

5 weeks of 12/12
Uploaded 02 Jun 2016 - 06:56

5 weeks of 12/12
Uploaded 02 Jun 2016 - 06:56

what else u need to see?

#8 SantaBuds

Learning Grower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:25 AM

@rose

The opposite can be done when height is an issue or in large rooms where tables are too difficult is to either allow a "gravity feedout" - where bottom of reservoir and pots are at ground level, just open feed valve and gravity will drain out into pots until desired flood height is achieved, then a bilge pump can pump the nutrient from ground level back into reservoir.

hey bro! i like this idea! maybe it's the easiest for me...
found this pump relatively cheap:

http://produto.merca...h-12v-21405-_JM

also like that would need 2 pipes right? one with the valve, and other for the pump.... anyone has a link to a system like this?

thanks for coming by!

#9 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4305 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:51 AM

Here is a Mapito video that shows how to use a "sump pump" probably named different in other areas but a pump for like flooded basements, pools, boats and such. A pump that sucks from the bottom as to get up as much water as possible.

https://vid.me/qjSu
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#10 BalzaSteel

Dazed 'n' Confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4006 posts
  • Interests:Grokking

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:12 PM

"Set it up" with coco coir, you'll be up to your neck in little hempy buckets before ya know it :)

Stay Safe

BalzOut
"Evil wears every possible mitten"

JUST SAY NO To Strain Name Acronyms

HOW TO UPLOAD PICTURES, scroll down to post #12

The NutHouse (grow journal)

#11 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4305 posts
    Jah Bless!

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

I like hempybuckets so much, this is where my name comes from. I have seen indoor hempy buckets with perlite break tables. But I do not necessarily recommend that.

Here is a very nice tip. Keep your flood tables wet, not flooded but wet and the roots will work like hempy buckets in mapito to a point and grow out of the containers. Just do not let the flood tables dry out. Easier said than done for some and perlite is messy but you gain similar effect.

I feel mapito in many ways is similar in concept to hempy buckets but to a whole other level. However, it is not so simple as hempy buckets but you gain precision and my interest specifically was to learn more about plant nutrition.

#12 Snydgrow

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:41 PM

@santabuds

if you cant get polystyrene sheets where you are can you get a product called celotex insulation bit pricer but similar stuff its just easy to use these products to cut hole out of and smooth so no rips in pond liner but yes if not you could build a low table just high enough so your pump can sit in it to pump out water.

The res just sits outside the tent this can sit anywhere your room will allow aslong as you can pump water to and from the tent.

https://www.google.c...LBFpubYSwvcM%3A

link to image of hoover.

also about number of plants this shouldnt be a concern to you i have grown 12 plants in a 1.2m tent and also only 5 in a 1.2m tent there should be no real difference aslong as you give the less plants time to veg.

also in your album when you click on image to the right side you should see BBCcode copy and past this when you right your reply it means image will appear full size on your post.

Snydgrow

#13 bigun

old time grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4997 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:21 PM

I use the flood and drain method.
I have pool liner and it is cut to the sixe of floor + 8".
a 1/2 ' hole is pre-drilled in the floor and a pvc pipe fitted to it to catch the water when drained. plug when filling..lol
I use a moisture meter and put it 1/2 way in one container.
fill the floor with water/mixture to 2" above drain holes.
watch the meter for first time and when it pegs the meter(wet) pull the plug. WATCH THE TIME AND U CAN GO BY THAT FROM NOW TO THE END.
the water goes in a barrel and pumped back to the original container for use again if the water is treated. if not let it go on ground.

just my way..there is probably, no doubt better ays but this is simple for me..lol

#14 The Rose of Darkness

Sexy Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:31 PM

PPK + Mapito anyone..? ^^
~Through growing I learn it is better to understand what I did wrong, than not understand what I did right~

#15 SantaBuds

Learning Grower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

thanks again for all replies...

@hempy

nice buds u got on those videos bro.. yeah the sump pump also known as bilge pump... not that easy to find here but found this one relatively cheap:

http://www.barconovo...2v-seaflo-p1077

to be honest, thinking here... the easiest way i could do is to have the res not connected to anything... and i could manually place the bilge pump in the res and use a hose to get into table.. fill till certain level and take the pump out... after flood is done could place pump in the table and drain it out with same hose back to the res...

what's so appealing about having the res underneath the table is cause it would make it very simple to automate with timer... even if i have to create another table that goes underneath the tent and is raised from floor... could place res underneath the tent like that and still have it outside...

cool tip on having the table wet... i will remember it once system is running...

@balza

bro i live in small apartment.. the fact that i won't have to deal with soil or coco substrate will make my life much much easier... i hate the mess it does and it's difficult to clean, difficult to mix it in small space, hard to get rid of old material... mapito is a bit more appealing to me atm.... maybe when i have bigger space...

@snyd

cool bro.. those can be imported.. i think i can get the sheets too if i look for them... but i think maybe raising whole tent and placing res underneath is a good solution... either that or get the bulge pump... also this pump is gonna be cheaper than dry & wet hoover...

@bigun

nice bro.. any pics or links to it???? i think i can achieve the same effect desired with smaller effort tho.. hehehehe :D

@rose

PPK? please tell the newbie what's that...

peace brothers!

#16 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4305 posts
    Jah Bless!

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:05 PM

Not my video, just one that I knew that had the pump in it. Glad it helped as that is as you describe. You can even automate that if you wanted.